HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Best Potential Playoff Matchups (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=62792)

Fan-of-#9 03-17-2004 11:59 AM

Best Potential Playoff Matchups

Whether these teams meet somewhere along the road to the Cup is up for debate, but these matchups will be something to remember:

Toronto vs. Montreal

This would be electric. I love to see it happen in the 1st round.

New Jersey vs. Philadelphia

Another epic battle. This would be a grind all the way to a 7th game.

Calgary vs. Vancouver

This would be the fastest series on the planet. I'm hoping the Flames can sneak in the playoffs this year.

Colorado vs. Detroit

When these 2 teams hook up you just know that it could essentially be for the Cup.

Other notables:

Ottawa vs. Montreal, Ottawa vs. Toronto, Boston vs. Montreal, NYI vs. Toronto,
Dallas vs. San Jose, Nashville vs. Detroit, Philadelphia vs. Toronto, Philadelphia vs. Ottawa....heck almost every matchup will be great!

Sorry if I left your team out :)

neelynugs 03-17-2004 12:01 PM

philly/NJ, ottawa/toronto, boston/montreal, nyi/TB...i'd love to see it play out like this.

MotownMadman 03-17-2004 12:02 PM

I'll go with all those you mentioned especially Avs/Wings. I've also been wanting to see a Leafs/Wings SCF since the Leafs switched conferences. I think that it would be great to see two original six teams in the Finals again. And they've had such a rivalry over the years.

kyle 03-17-2004 12:03 PM

Can't realistically happen (at least not in the 1st round) but Calgary v. Edmonton would be a pretty stellar matchup.

First Edmonton needs to make the playoffs.

koivu_11 03-17-2004 12:22 PM

vancouver vs calgary would be a great rematch of the 7 game series in '94, but at the same time it'd be nice to see both canadian teams advance to the 2nd round... but since that probably wont happen I'd like to see a calgary/vancouver matchup :D

MacDaddy TLC* 03-17-2004 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neelynugs
philly/NJ, ottawa/toronto, boston/montreal, nyi/TB...i'd love to see it play out like this.

I'll second this (with this emoticon) :handclap:

#44_delivers 03-17-2004 12:27 PM

Quote:

me to :handclap:

barrytrotzsneck 03-17-2004 12:53 PM

as a preds fan, i'm eagerly anticipating a Preds\Wings first round.

MatsSundin13 03-17-2004 04:35 PM

Im looking foward to sereing a potential Leafs vs Wings cup final...ive been predicting it sinces the trade deadline...Im also looking foward to a potential first round match between montreal and toronto...and of course i wanna see the battle of ontario in the playoffs as well.....

Besides my team:Im looking foward to seeing avs vs canucks...that would be a great series...just hope there isnt an event like the bertuzzi thing...Ottawa vs NJ could be great as well....and ill agree every series will be entertaining this year

OldTimeHockey 03-17-2004 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsSundin13
Im looking foward to sereing a potential Leafs vs Wings cup final...ive been predicting it sinces the trade deadline...

you can now predict an onslaught of oranges, banana peels and fruit salad. the haters will find you...keep an eye out :joker:

VAN-HAB 03-17-2004 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsSundin13
Im looking foward to sereing a potential Leafs vs Wings cup final...ive been predicting it sinces the trade deadline...Im also looking foward to a potential first round match between montreal and toronto...and of course i wanna see the battle of ontario in the playoffs as well.....

Besides my team:Im looking foward to seeing avs vs canucks...that would be a great series...just hope there isnt an event like the bertuzzi thing...Ottawa vs NJ could be great as well....and ill agree every series will be entertaining this year

Sorry to disappoint you, but if the Leafs will play like the way they play right now they wont make it passed the first round. Good luck to all Canadian teams. I would like a Canucks-Habs final. :yo:

eSabre 03-17-2004 04:43 PM

Quote:

Make that BUF/TB and I'll agree with you...

;)

Raging Bull 03-17-2004 04:45 PM

I really want another Ottawa vs Toronto series.............. :rolly:

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN 03-17-2004 04:46 PM

Although it probably won't be a first round match up, I'm hoping Ottawa and Tampa Bay get together for an offensive show unlike any we've seen in a while. Imagine both those teams skating flat out for seven games? A lot of speed and skill out there. It would be great to see a series where they score 11 or 12 goals a game... sigh...or is that wishful thinking? :p

Murphy* 03-17-2004 05:13 PM

I wanna see a second round matchup between the leafs and the sens...then a third round matchup between the sens and the flyers :D

Freudian 03-17-2004 05:27 PM

I think an Ottawa-TB matchup might result is some pretty memorable games.

Toronto-Philly

Colorado-Vancouver

Detroit-Nashville has been really intensive during regular season

ehc73 03-17-2004 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freudian
I think an Ottawa-TB matchup might result is some pretty memorable games.

Toronto-Philly

Colorado-Vancouver

Detroit-Nashville has been really intensive during regular season

Would love to see those. Not sure if Wings fans would appreciate that one though. Hasn't Nashville had D-town's number all season?

ObeySteve 03-17-2004 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murph_man15
I wanna see a second round matchup between the leafs and the sens...then a third round matchup between the sens and the flyers :D

Sorry bro, but that Leafs/Sens matchup is gonna happen first round.

Knucklez 03-17-2004 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
Sorry to disappoint you, but if the Leafs will play like the way they play right now they wont make it passed the first round. Good luck to all Canadian teams. I would like a Canucks-Habs final. :yo:

Right on brotha! That would be so amazing. Either Canucks/Habs or Canucks/Bruins. But I'd like to see 2 Canadian teams in it. Man that would be an awesome series.

detredWINgs 03-17-2004 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehc73
Would love to see those. Not sure if Wings fans would appreciate that one though. Hasn't Nashville had D-town's number all season?

Well if you consider the fact that they beat us by 2 goals once, and the other 2 times they won were 1 goal games. Then we KILLED them 6-0, then 4-1, then a come-from-behind OT victory 3-2. I suppose if you consider a 3-3 series tie as "having the wings number" then I guess you'd be right. I'd welcome a Preds/Wings series because I know we would kill them. The only reason they ever beat us was because we underestimated them.

If I was a Preds fan, I would be praying like hell that Detroit-a veteran, playoff-proven team that just got more stacked and likely will be healthy for the playoffs (which includes Datsyuk, Lang and Draper) doesn't get matched with a younger, inexperienced Nashville team come April 7th.

I'd like to see Vancouver vs. Colorado and a Wings vs. Colorado series.

Verbal Kint* 03-17-2004 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaloFan
Right on brotha! That would be so amazing. Either Canucks/Habs or Canucks/Bruins. But I'd like to see 2 Canadian teams in it. Man that would be an awesome series.

Why not Toronto (unless you happen to hate the Leafs)? Every game between the 'nucks and the Leafs seems to be a high flying offensively explosive matchup.

VAN-HAB 03-17-2004 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaloFan

I hope so, Vancouver deserves to be in the finals, hopefully with Jovo back now. :yo:

barrytrotzsneck 03-17-2004 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detredWINgs
Well if you consider the fact that they beat us by 2 goals once, and the other 2 times they won were 1 goal games. Then we KILLED them 6-0, then 4-1, then a come-from-behind OT victory 3-2. I suppose if you consider a 3-3 series tie as "having the wings number" then I guess you'd be right. I'd welcome a Preds/Wings series because I know we would kill them. The only reason they ever beat us was because we underestimated them.

If I was a Preds fan, I would be praying like hell that Detroit-a veteran, playoff-proven team that just got more stacked and likely will be healthy for the playoffs (which includes Datsyuk, Lang and Draper) doesn't get matched with a younger, inexperienced Nashville team come April 7th.

I'd like to see Vancouver vs. Colorado and a Wings vs. Colorado series.

nah. we'll keep hoping for that matchup. quack quack quack.

detredWINgs 03-17-2004 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
nah. we'll keep hoping for that matchup. quack quack quack.

Vokoun is no Giguere buddy. Anaheim was a fluke. They should be on VH1's "where are they now". Wings don't forget. You should realize that after you beat us 3 times, we beat you the next three. Theres 3 things that you dont have that the wings have: Experience, uber-leadership, 4 lines.

Knucklez 03-17-2004 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
Why not Toronto (unless you happen to hate the Leafs)? Every game between the 'nucks and the Leafs seems to be a high flying offensively explosive matchup.

Yeah, that would be a great series too. I can't decide if I'd rather face a team that I like (Habs), or a team that I dislike (Leafs, notice I didn't use the word hate)...