HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   News Article: Dynamo Moscow signs Omark and Harju (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=628238)

Fishy Scales 04-08-2009 08:06 AM

Dynamo Moscow signs Omark and Harju

It's been confirmed by the agent, so I thought this deserved a new thread.

http://www.nsd.se/nyheter/artikel.as...icleID=4557946

Quote:

Omark and Harju set to join Dynamo Moscow

Many thought that they would go to the NHL.
But the huge money in the Russian KHL was more appealing.
Today both Johan Harju and Linus Omark signed with big club Dynamo Moscow.
- I can confirm that it is true, says player agent Patrik Aronsson.

Luleň

Just over a week ago, NSD did an interview with the assistant general manager of the NHL's Edmonton Oilers.
He explained that the club wanted Omark, but that they could neither guarantee him a roster spot, nor the maximum rookie salary.
There was obviously something Omark did not like.
He thought he deserved more.
And there was at least one club willing to give him more - a lot more.
Dynamo Moscow.
- Of course it's big money. Including bonuses and everything else it could be very much money, says Aronsson.
The club also wanted to sign Johan Harju - meaning the "Ívertorneň Connection" remains intact.
In today's paper, NSD hockey expert Pelle Johansson wrote:
"A wise oligarchy, however, would do best signing both. Just like in the Sedin case, the sum of Omark and Harju is bigger than the separate components."
Read more in tomorrow's paper.

SK13 04-08-2009 08:09 AM

It says Omark and the Oilers weren't close, and Omark thought he was worth the maximum, so he took the big offer from the KHL.

I'm honestly dreading the backlash this will cause so soon after being eliminated from playoff contention. And while I'm disappointed we'll likely lose his rights and that we will never get a chance to see him play, I'm glad we didn't give him a ton of money (sounds like that's all he cares about) because he likely won't be able to do those things against NHL defenders at 5'9.

The Human Torch 04-08-2009 08:11 AM

We've got enough full-of-themselves primadonnas and 5'9" smurfs on this team already. We didn't need a player who fills BOTH of those capacities.

alphahelix 04-08-2009 08:14 AM

I have to ask again, does this mean we no longer hold his rights? This was the final year to get a deal done, right? if he returns to the NHL, its not likely to be with us, right? wish somebody knew.

mattihp 04-08-2009 08:14 AM

So sour after he didn't sign with the oilers... There is little doubt that a creative self-developing guy like Omark would have learned to do some very nice tricks in the NHL.

voxel 04-08-2009 08:14 AM

Do we actually lose his rights though? He's now gone to a league that isn't under an IIHF transfer agreement.

I think he took the short-term KHL money and will be looking for a bigger payday as an UFA later.

alphahelix 04-08-2009 08:16 AM

well I mean we don't automatically lose his rights, but upon draft day when we clearly will not have him signed our rights will expire, and thats that as far as Omark and the Oil go. At least thats what I've been led to believe, with no clear confirmation from any other source.

SK13 04-08-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voxel (Post 18935127)
Do we actually lose his rights though? He's now gone to a league that isn't under an IIHF transfer agreement.

I think he took the short-term KHL money and will be looking for a bigger payday as an UFA later.

Certainly sounds like that's what he's after.

I'd laugh so damn hard if a slightly tougher league destroys his stats and he losses the bargaining power he had in the first place.

alphahelix 04-08-2009 08:18 AM

i honestly believe this is the type of situation where Katz should have gotten involved (if hes going to be doing that type of thing). It would be a LOT easier to impress and sway a guy like Omark from a small city like Lulea than to coerce a Hossa or a Jagr. No risk, Possible reward. Why not?

The Human Torch 04-08-2009 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphahelix (Post 18935149)
i honestly believe this is the type of situation where Katz should have gotten involved (if hes going to be doing that type of thing). It would be a LOT easier to impress and sway a guy like Omark from a small city like Lulea than to coerce a Hossa or a Jagr. No risk, Possible reward. Why not?

He was too busy figuring out how to send text messages to Stauffer.

svartgul 04-08-2009 08:20 AM

"full-of-themselves primadonnas"

You don't know Omark and you probably haven't seen him play. He's the opposite of a money-grubbing primadonna. He knows his value and he's still young. With the Oilers he might get two years of AHL play with crappy pay and bad living conditions and he knows he's good enough for the league, and in the KHL he'll get to play with his best friend and make tons of money. The NHL is still there in a couple of years when he's done in Russia and he might even play for the Oilers then.

"I think he took the short-term KHL money and will be looking for a bigger payday as an UFA later."

He sure did. There are more options for European players these days. That doesn't make them primadonnas though.

mattihp 04-08-2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK13 (Post 18935147)
Certainly sounds like that's what he's after.

I'd laugh so damn hard if a slightly tougher league destroys his stats and he losses the bargaining power he had in the first place.

The speed and defensive play of the KHL might really show what he's got, that's true.

And russian GMs and coaches seem pretty quick to lose respect for players that don't produce right away...

Jimmi Jenkins 04-08-2009 08:25 AM

Wow, good for him. Looks "being an NHL player" wasn't the most important thing to him.

Fishy Scales 04-08-2009 08:27 AM

I think you can't really blame them. Why not take a chance on a big payday and get an adventure like moving to Moscow to boot? I can't say I wouldn't have been very tempted to do the same in their situation.

Though if the NHL is Omark's dream I think the sooner he makes the transition to the North American style, the better. I just think he's trying to minimize the risks and maximize the rewards here.

Jimmi Jenkins 04-08-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkageNoKeri (Post 18935159)

You don't know Omark and you probably haven't seen him play. He's the opposite of a money-grubbing primadonna. He knows his value and he's still young. With the Oilers he might get two years of AHL play with crappy pay and bad living conditions and he knows he's good enough for the league, and in the KHL he'll get to play with his best friend and make tons of money. The NHL is still there in a couple of years when he's done in Russia and he might even play for the Oilers then.

"I think he took the short-term KHL money and will be looking for a bigger payday as an UFA later."

He sure did. There are more options for European players these days. That doesn't make them primadonnas though.

That's fine, but that's what this move is, regardless of what you want to think of the guy. It's a situation where he can get a little more out of Russia so he goes there.

SK13 04-08-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkageNoKeri (Post 18935159)

You do know that he was perfectly capable of going back to Europe if he couldn't make the Oilers right? Mikhnov did it.

He openly admitted to following the money, so yeah, he's literally money-grubbing.

mattihp 04-08-2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 18935190)
That's fine, but that's what this move is, regardless of what you want to think of the guy. It's a situation where he can get a little more out of Russia so he goes there.

You don't think living so much closer to home is more interesting to a youngster rather than venture to go far away from home to play in a lesser league with lower pay than home if he wouldn't make the NHL?

AnaheimDucks90 04-08-2009 08:30 AM

I wouldn't be too pissed. The KHL now think they have signed a new Wayne Gretzky because of this only penalty. They wouldn't has sign him if he hasn't scored a goal like this.

Raggamuffin 04-08-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 18935190)

By that logic every European who ventured over before the KHL came into existance were money grabbing primadonnas...

:shakehead

SK13 04-08-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raggamuffin (Post 18935242)
By that logic every European who ventured over before the KHL came into existance were money grabbing primadonnas...

It would be very different he Omark said: "I wanted to be close to home" or "I want to play for the KHL". He said "I would like to play for the NHL" and that changed to "They didn't offer me the max, so I'm going to play in Russia!"

Jimmi Jenkins 04-08-2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raggamuffin (Post 18935242)

No, that's by the artificial logic that you created out of thin. He could have gotten paid a decent wage if he comes to NA, he's bound by a CBA, but he can still earn good money, and if he continues to play well he can earn even more money. But instead he's going to get MORE NOW, so I don't what you call that besides money grabbing?

Part of the problem here this, like so many other things, seems to treat this like it's in a vacuum, like he's the only player to ever have to choose between the NHL/AHL and the KHL.

mactforcoach 04-08-2009 08:44 AM

Let him go, we really don't need another small forward right now. I say good for him, it looks like he did exactly what he wanted. Lets focus on our future, and try to get a forward over 6' with some grit.

Jimmi Jenkins 04-08-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattihp (Post 18935197)
You don't think living so much closer to home is more interesting to a youngster rather than venture to go far away from home to play in a lesser league with lower pay than home if he wouldn't make the NHL?

He could make the NHL, but lets stop pretending like he's the first player who's had to make this "heart breaking" choice.

Raggamuffin 04-08-2009 08:51 AM

He takes the best offer and still gets to play in a good league, and in Moscow! Most of us would've done the same thing. In a year or two if he continues to play well the NHL clubs will be lining up to get him. Smart move.

mattihp 04-08-2009 08:54 AM

I don't think there would be more than 10ish europeans in the NHL if the NHL was still the best league in the world but offered only 10% more in wage than the players home leagues.

Those who think that foreigners in the NHL don't see the money as the far away #1 reason for them playing there are probably a bit off.