HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: How high of a first rounder could kaberle get at draft? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=628395)

KessDaddy81 04-08-2009 01:49 PM

How high of a first rounder could kaberle get at draft?

Personally, since kaberles asking price is a first rounder, a top prospect and a roster player , if the leafs were to trade him for just a first rounder they could get a top 10 pick depending on who they trade with ex. ottawa's 1st for kaberle. thoughts?

DougGilmour93 04-08-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafs2011cupchamps (Post 18940378)
Personally, since kaberles asking price is a first rounder, a top prospect and a roster player , if the leafs were to trade him for just a first rounder they could get a top 10 pick depending on who they trade with ex. ottawa's 1st for kaberle. thoughts?

I predict they'll get a pick in the 10 - 15 range and a teams top prospect.

boredmale 04-08-2009 01:55 PM

I think it depends on the team. If it's a team like Ottawa/Dallas who just had a setback this year, I am guessing they could get as high as the #5 pick. If it's a team that's rebuilding, no chance.

sauce 04-08-2009 01:56 PM

I would be surprised if they even got a first-round pick.

Snipeshow 04-08-2009 01:57 PM

Why would any team that is in the top 10, trade their 1st for Kaberle?

If you're a bad team, why trade your first rounder for a vet defender?

How many bottom 10 teams would be a Kaberle away from the playoffs next year?

NFITO 04-08-2009 01:59 PM

Kaberle's value at the draft will be lower than his value at the deadline... teams still have the UFA option (JBo) where they don't have to give up anything... and most teams drafting high will be rebuild modes anyways, where a high 1st rounder will be given more value than a veteran defender.

if Toronto moves him at the draft, they will get a lot less for him than waiting till the deadline.

having said that, I don't really see Burke moving Kaberle at this point... everyone talks about the Leafs going into "rebuilding mode" but rebuilding today isn't the same as it was pre-lockout... it's a different landscape now with lower UFA ages, and more options available, especially for a team with cap flexibility in a major market. A rebuild in Toronto could be complete at the end of the coming offseason, and instead of dealing guys like Kaberle, you keep him moving forward because he still brings so much value to a contending team - especially with a manageable contract like he's got.

Flapjack* 04-08-2009 02:00 PM

Kaberle isnt even worth a first rounder, and doubtful a second.

A third round pick, and a low one at that.

Comely 04-08-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snipeshow (Post 18940498)

Well the Sens were a coach and a goalie away, they should still be in the bottom 10 although only barely so. That being said I wouldnt trade the 10th overall for Kaberle, he seems to have lost a step this year.

BrentZ10 04-08-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flapjack (Post 18940579)

Wow.....

Flashspec 04-08-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Yea...that makes a lot of sense. Based on the price of defensemen that were traded around and before the trade deadline, I'm sure Kaberle will go for a 3rd round pick.

:shakehead

phlocky 04-08-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snipeshow (Post 18940498)

^^^

This. Umm, if you are so bad that you are a lottery team then a vet dman who will OBVIOUSLY NOT resign with them who will be gone in just 2 years is NOT the way to rebuild a bottom feeding team. If he was so valuable to a team with a top 10 draft pick then why are the Leafs so anxious to trade him. I swear, some people really don't think when they ask questions like this.

mcphllp 04-08-2009 02:15 PM

Ya it doesnt make sense for any team in the top 5 to trade for him. For some reason though I have a feeling that if Dallas were to move their pick and something else for Kaberle, it would be great move for them. But I doubt he gets traded. Look for the leafs to make the playoffs next year.

Barney Gumble 04-08-2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 (Post 18940438)
I predict they'll get a pick in the 10 - 15 range and a teams top prospect.

Chances are extremely slim IMHO.

As mentioned, his value is greater at the trading deadline; nobody "bit" then - why would the "bite" now?

Isles_Guy* 04-08-2009 02:23 PM

Kaberle alone...... at absolute best 15.The leafs would need to add more to get any higher. no team in the top 14 would move a lottery pick because they need more than Tomas to seriously contend for a cup and with Salary cap tightenings the pick is worth more than adding a $4 million hit.

And DG my friend I believe in loyalty too but even you dont really believe that Tomas can get a top 5 by himself. Come on bro..... I know your smarter than that dont give the flamers the ammo

ACC1224 04-08-2009 02:25 PM

I don't think Burke will move him, if so I'd guess in the 20 range with a prospect.

powerthirst 04-08-2009 02:26 PM

I think it's all been said really well already.

Any team bad enough to have a top 10 pick would rather rebuild than get a 30-year-old defenceman for 2 years.

Any team actually looking for a defenceman would try to poach a UFA first, making Kaberle a last resort.

With the cap going down (or flatlining) and with Kab's recent numbers his contract is less of a 'bargain' than a lot of Leaf fans would have you believe, I mean $4mil is $4mil and not a lot of teams can or will be willing to swallow that hit.

His value is lower now than at the trade deadline and no one took him then...

John-Eric Iannicello 04-08-2009 02:28 PM

Unless a team in the top 10 is looking for a really quick turn around then Kaberle would likely return a pick in the later half of the first round.

AlMo 04-08-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerthirst (Post 18940956)
I think it's all been said really well already.

Any team bad enough to have a top 10 pick would rather rebuild than get a 30-year-old defenceman for 2 years.

Any team actually looking for a defenceman would try to poach a UFA first, making Kaberle a last resort.

With the cap going down (or flatlining) and with Kab's recent numbers his contract is less of a 'bargain' than a lot of Leaf fans would have you believe, I mean $4mil is $4mil and not a lot of teams can or will be willing to swallow that hit.

His value is lower now than at the trade deadline and no one took him then...

Most dmen with Kabby's talent are making over 6 million per season so I don't understand how you can say Kaberle is becoming less and less a bargain. Honestly, your statement makes very little sense.

AlMo 04-08-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sauce (Post 18940515)
I would be surprised if they even got a first-round pick.

I hope you dont like surprises.

If Kabby goes a first rounder will be involved and if there isn't the prospect will be that much better.

AlMo 04-08-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Look at the guys avatar and his info......how do you take a guy like this seriously.

Jeffler 04-08-2009 02:39 PM

Low 2nd rounder I think...similar to Antropov.

Pure 04-08-2009 02:39 PM

top 15 pick. team thats on the brink of playoffs but just missed by a little bit and need that little extra to get them in next year. could see florida, buffalo etc move for him, but I'm not sure about their needs. Buffalo doesn't have a lot of puck movers after Campell left.

Enroth+2nd? or their first.

NFITO 04-08-2009 02:56 PM

the only team in the top 10 or so of the draft that *may* consider moving their 1st pick for Kaberle would be Dallas.

They were ravaged by injuries this season and aren't your typical rebuilding team. They have a few good young players stepping into their lineup (Neal, Brunnstrom) and could use a top dman to replace Zubov with. Kaberle would be a perfect addition to the team, as he's still in his prime, and brings some experience for their other young defenders (Niskanen, Fristic, Grossman and Vishnevsky).

Seems to me that Dallas has some good young pieces that losing a 1st rounder, even a top 10 one, won't hurt them too much, when they are still a team that would otherwise be contending this season if not for huge losses to injuries.

having said that, I still doubt they'd move their 1st... just the only team in that range that I think would even consider it.

mcphllp 04-08-2009 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO (Post 18941467)
the only team in the top 10 or so of the draft that *may* consider moving their 1st pick for Kaberle would be Dallas.

They were ravaged by injuries this season and aren't your typical rebuilding team. They have a few good young players stepping into their lineup (Neal, Brunnstrom) and could use a top dman to replace Zubov with. Kaberle would be a perfect addition to the team, as he's still in his prime, and brings some experience for their other young defenders (Niskanen, Fristic, Grossman and Vishnevsky).

Seems to me that Dallas has some good young pieces that losing a 1st rounder, even a top 10 one, won't hurt them too much, when they are still a team that would otherwise be contending this season if not for huge losses to injuries.

having said that, I still doubt they'd move their 1st... just the only team in that range that I think would even consider it.

Ya thats my feeling too. They have zubov and sydor off contracts at the end of the year. thats 7.8 mill and Lehtinen at 4 mill is up too. I can see both zubov and lehtinen re-signing, but not at what theyre being paid now. that makes room for kaberle's salary. It would be a perfect fit, IMO.

SLAPSHOT723 04-08-2009 03:08 PM

Kaberle will not get a young NHL player anymore IMO, but maybe a 1st and a team's 2nd or 3rd best prospect.