HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Can Brian Burke do it? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=628953)

Four1 Lead 04-09-2009 10:27 PM

Can Brian Burke do it?

The Maple Leafs have already signed 2 of the top 3 NCAA free agent prospects (Christian Hanson, Tyler Bozak). It is rumoured that Matt Gilroy and Jonas Gustavsson are on their radar and Toronto is listed as "one of two teams" in the running for both Gilroy and Gustavsson.

Has one NHL GM managed to sign four or five UFA prospects of this ilk in a span of a month or two before?

Hanson - Signed.
Bozak - Signed.

Gustavsson - Rumoured to go to either Toronto or Dallas. His coach with Farjestad has said that Toronto or Dallas would make the most sense for him, but Swedish reports have stated he may have narrowed it down to those two clubs. Toronto's goaltending coach Corey Hirsch has ties to Farjestad and has been aggressively pursuing Jonas. He just went 12-1 in the playoffs with something like a .960 Save%. Possibly as good as Henrik Lundqvist?

Gilroy - Rumoured to have narrowed his list down to two teams, Toronto is one. He may be the odds on favourite to win the Hobey Baker Trophy, clearly one of the best NCAA players. Though he's much older than most NCAA players, his skills are undeniable. Brian Burke has been pursuing him all season, even had dinner with Gilroy's family.

Slightly off topic, but Stalberg out of Vermont has already been drafted by Toronto, but he may come out of the NCAA and may have a good shot at making the Maple Leafs next season. He is supposedly a potentialy 2nd line forward, big Swedish forward that is said to be one of the fastest skaters in NCAA hockey.

Brian Burke has been an absolutely amazing GM so far.

VelvetJones 04-09-2009 10:29 PM

He's done an amazing job putting together a NCAA team.

I am Canadian 04-09-2009 10:34 PM

Yes WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

CREW99AW 04-09-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord Millers Chin (Post 18967504)
The Maple Leafs have already signed 2 of the top 3 NCAA free agent prospects (Christian Hanson, Tyler Bozak). It is rumoured that Matt Gilroy and Jonas Gustavsson are on their radar and Toronto is listed as "one of two teams" in the running for both Gilroy and Gustavsson.

Has one NHL GM managed to sign four or five UFA prospects of this ilk in a span of a month or two before?

Hanson - Signed.
Bozak - Signed.

Gustavsson - Rumoured to go to either Toronto or Dallas. His coach with Farjestad has said that Toronto or Dallas would make the most sense for him, but Swedish reports have stated he may have narrowed it down to those two clubs. Toronto's goaltending coach Corey Hirsch has ties to Farjestad and has been aggressively pursuing Jonas. He just went 12-1 in the playoffs with something like a .960 Save%. Possibly as good as Henrik Lundqvist?

Gilroy - Rumoured to have narrowed his list down to two teams, Toronto is one. He may be the odds on favourite to win the Hobey Baker Trophy, clearly one of the best NCAA players. Though he's much older than most NCAA players, his skills are undeniable. Brian Burke has been pursuing him all season, even had dinner with Gilroy's family.

Slightly off topic, but Stalberg out of Vermont has already been drafted by Toronto, but he may come out of the NCAA and may have a good shot at making the Maple Leafs next season. He is supposedly a potentialy 2nd line forward, big Swedish forward that is said to be one of the fastest skaters in NCAA hockey.

Brian Burke has been an absolutely amazing GM so far.

Leafs are paying Bozak, as if he were the 1st overall pick in the draft.Think that might have a little something to do with Burke getting him inked?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=273615

The Toronto Maple Leafs won the Tyler Bozak sweepstakes on Friday, signing the NCAA centre to a two-year entry level contract that could be worth almost $4 million per season if he achieves all bonuses.The 23-year old Regina, Saskatchewan native, who scored eight goals with 15 assists in 19 games with the University of Denver Pioneers, will not play for the Leafs this season.

john g 04-09-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

watch tonight's game. you can see the potential of Stalberg, but you'll also notice that he is a floater. talent, yes. needs work, more so yes.

Habsterix* 04-09-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMacdonald (Post 18967604)

:laugh: Well said.

Dark Knight 04-09-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

He's only signed Hanson and Bozak, though. Dont you think thats a bit of an overexaggeration.

WJG 04-09-2009 11:03 PM

He's definitely done a good job thus far, for sure.

I have a good feeling he'll be able to sign both Gilroy and Gustavsson because he'll throw a lot of money at both, and both know they'll get a lot of playing time next season.

His big challenges are this summer:
1) signing big name UFAs (ie. Sedins, Cammalleri, etc)
2) cleaning up JFJ's messes (Kubina, Blake, etc)
3) cleaning up Fletcher's mistakes (Stempniak, Finger, etc)

leaflover 04-09-2009 11:04 PM

I'm hoping for Gustavsson. Thats our most pressing longterm need and if Burke could shore that up for nothing but more pocket change it would be most beneficial.
Defense despite being a key position is currently our best stocked so Gilroy is less significant. It would still be a solid signing, just not as urgent an area.
The deeper and more talented the prospect pool the better. It pushes some to nerw heights and the weaker ones out the door.

Ricky Bobby 04-09-2009 11:04 PM

I sure hope Burke locks up a few more NCAA free agent prospects.

With the exception of Gilroy they are low risk moves because they are subject to entry level players salaries and if they stink the Leafs can just bury them in the AHL or not tender a contract to them after there initial contract is over.

Gilroy is an exception because he is not subject to an entry level player financial restrictions and there is rumours that one of his bargaining chips with teams is that he wants a guaranteed spot in the NHL.

Trxjw 04-09-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salsabil (Post 18968450)
He's only signed Hanson and Bozak, though. Dont you think thats a bit of an overexaggeration.

About as much of an exaggeration as saying, "Brian Burke has been an absolutely amazing GM so far."

Sure he's gotten a few of the top NCAA free agents, but he's in a position to do so. He can offer these kids minutes in the NHL that teams who are hoping to compete cannot. He also has plenty of cap space to work with. If a team like the Rangers gave Bozak that deal, Sather would be crucified-- as he should be anyway. He's also in such a massive hockey market that even when the Leafs suck, they'll still have legions of fans and sell-out each game. As opposed to a team like the Islanders who don't have that luxury.

If these kids pan out, he'll look like a genius. If they bust, he'll be laughed at. I don't see how that makes him better than any other GM who takes a risk and has the means to do so.

RangerBoy 04-09-2009 11:06 PM

Burke is like his buddy Slats.When Burke ran the Canucks he talked about payroll disparity and now has no problem sending the money of MLSE.

Burlington Bomb 26 04-09-2009 11:08 PM

Gilroy wants BIG money.

dubey 04-09-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Never seen this posted before. :rolleyes:

grabo84 04-09-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 18968018)
Leafs are paying Bozak, as if he were the 1st overall pick in the draft.Think that might have a little something to do with Burke getting him inked?

Sure. They are only bonuses though, so I doubt it was that much better than other teams were offering.

Jerky Leclerc 04-09-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR (Post 18968845)
Gilroy wants BIG money.

Gilroy won't be able to live up to the contract he will sign. IMO, he didn't look that good today against Vermont. If Gilroy gets anything over 2 million dollars, he will be overpaid.

dubey 04-09-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

The Toronto Maple Leafs won the Tyler Bozak sweepstakes on Friday, signing the NCAA centre to a two-year entry level contract that could be worth almost $4 million per season if he achieves all bonuses.The 23-year old Regina, Saskatchewan native, who scored eight goals with 15 assists in 19 games with the University of Denver Pioneers, will not play for the Leafs this season.

hahahahaha

Every single team was offering him that. It had absolutely nothing to do with money.

Beukeboom Fan 04-09-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

The $4M is a total flipping joke, and I can't believe that TSN didn't explain that more.

For him to get $2M in type B bonus's, he's got to be top 5 in voting for a major award (Richard, Hart, Conn Smythe or Selke next year). How likely is that?

And for him to make the $850K of type A bonus's, he's got to be a quality scoring line player (20g, 35a, 60points, top 3 on the team in in +/-, etc).

Add in it's a 2 way deal. If Bozak can't make the roster, he's making something like $70K in the AHL.

I'm not a huge Burke fan, but both of these have been good deals. TOR has plenty of cash if these guys pan out, and if not it doesn't cost them anything but cash. I would avoid Gilroy if it takes a one way deal - but that's just me.

Jerky Leclerc 04-09-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubey (Post 18969544)
hahahahaha

Every single team was offering him that. It had absolutely nothing to do with money.

I have to disagree. All the upper eschelon teams have a salary structure that they won't break because it will hurt their ability to sign their roster players. This is why they don't overpay. Toronto getting Bozak mean they offered the kid an opportunity to play and collect a lot of money.

dubey 04-09-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc (Post 18969617)
I have to disagree. All the upper eschelon teams have a salary structure that they won't break because it will hurt their ability to sign their roster players. This is why they don't overpay. Toronto getting Bozak mean they offered the kid an opportunity to play and collect a lot of money.

What are you talking about? Every team was offering him the maximum entry level contract. It's not some gypsy trick or something.

CREW99AW 04-09-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grabo84 (Post 18969485)
Sure. They are only bonuses though, so I doubt it was that much better than other teams were offering.

Last yr Hillen was one of the most sought after college free agents.

Hillen played the last 2-3 games of the season with the nyi,so this is his rookie season.He's making $875,000.I have never read anything about bonuses in Hillen's deal.

I don't buy that other teams were offering over $3m in bonus money to Bozak.I don't have a problem with how Burke and the Leafs use their cap space.I just find the idea that overpaying for a college ufa, makes Burke some sort of genius.

cloaked 04-09-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

They should push hard for Gustavsson. The last time the leafs had this kind of lack of goaltending depth was before I even knew toronto had a hockey team in the 80's when I was 5. It's kinda scary; they have no real goaltending prospect or proven starter for that matter(cujo doesnt count, hes finished).

At least we already have a top prospect D-man who only needs a another good D-man to be paired with. However, getting Gilroy, at a reasonable price, would be a bonus.

dubey 04-09-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 18969706)

Hillen played the last 2-3 games of the season with the nyi,so this is his rookie season.He's making $875,000.I have never read anything about bonuses in Hillen's deal.

I don't buy that other teams were offering over $3m in bonus money to Bozak.I don't have a problem with how Burke and the Leafs use their cap space.I just find the idea that overpaying for a college ufa, makes Burke some sort of genius.

Not sure what he has to do with this but there obviously wasn't much of a bidding war for Hillen if all he got was a ELC base salary without bonuses.

3/4 of the league wanted Bozak and were all competing based on what they could offer him other than base salary + max rookie bonuses allowed under the CBA for an entry level contract.

The actual bonus breakdown has been posted before on here. I think it was Beukeboom Fan who has posted it actually. We're talking a Crosby-esque rookie season if Bozak hits them all. Needless to say it would be quite the steal at $4M.

grabo84 04-09-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 18969706)

Read Beukeboom Fan's post, he explains it. The bonus money is a non-factor unless he plays well enough to earn it. You can't possibly overpay for Bozak.

Gilroy is another story entirely, because he isn't restricted to an entry level deal.

CREW99AW 04-09-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan (Post 18969595)
The $4M is a total flipping joke, and I can't believe that TSN didn't explain that more.

For him to get $2M in type B bonus's, he's got to be top 5 in voting for a major award (Richard, Hart, Conn Smythe or Selke next year). How likely is that?

And for him to make the $850K of type A bonus's, he's got to be a quality scoring line player (20g, 35a, 60points, top 3 on the team in in +/-, etc).

Add in it's a 2 way deal. If Bozak can't make the roster, he's making something like $70K in the AHL.

I'm not a huge Burke fan, but both of these have been good deals. TOR has plenty of cash if these guys pan out, and if not it doesn't cost them anything but cash. I would avoid Gilroy if it takes a one way deal - but that's just me.

Correct me if I'm wrong,but doesn't bonus money count towards a team's cap?

And whether the kid can reach those bonuses doesn't change the fact, that few other teams would have the cap space or team budget to toss that kind of offer on the table.