HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Hometown Discounts. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=629794)

OneSharpMarble 04-11-2009 03:47 PM

Hometown Discounts.

Noticed the Red Wings locked up Franzen today and some people think he gave the Wings a home town discount. Anyways if a player like Franzen who really played great this year took a hit for his team who out of our 11 FA's should take a hit? and when was the last time a Montreal player gave the team a hometown discount? You see teams like Vancouver and Detroit getting them on a silver platter but I don't see our own home grown talent even thinking about it.

Personally I think Kovalev and Koivu need to be hitting the discount line. Kovalev because of inconsistency and Koivu because his age looks like it is catching up to him, Tanguay might also take a small discount. Schneider definitly just because of age and his last contract was bloated in the first place. Kosto deserves a raise and Komi will get a raise reguardless of his atrocious play this year. Tanguay might also take a small discount.

After those six I could see the rest being let go and replaced by rookies, maybe one of Boullion or Dandy gets a small contract.

Tanguay
Koivu
Kovalev
Kostopolous
Boullion
Dandenault
Komisarek
Schneider
Brisebois

And Janik, Henry, Denis

Whitesnake 04-11-2009 03:53 PM

I see Brisebois going for the hometown discount....:sarcasm:

Cupmonger 04-11-2009 04:03 PM

I don't see Komi taking discounts nor Kostopoulos. Dandy will leave unless taken seriously to play more games then he did this season.
Tanguay has been awesome for us when he's played, I would be surprised if he took a discount for us and I would take it, I don't think he will thou.

Koivu, Bouillon and Breeze are pretty much the only ones that would accept a discount. Kovy is hard to say, I believe he said he was happy here, but he might be fed up with all the drama the media brews.
Schneider... He may have age against him, but he's been good for us, hard to say as well, but I don't see his paycheck increasing, not with us.

TheCH* 04-11-2009 04:09 PM

I think Kovalev is the only one that would take a home town discount. He is the only guy out of them that has already expressed his desire to stay.

WhiskeySeven 04-11-2009 04:10 PM

I hope Tanguay takes a hometown discount. He's my number 1 priority.

FlyingKostitsyn 04-11-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cupmonger (Post 18996934)
Kovy is hard to say, I believe he said he was happy here, but he might be fed up with all the drama the media brews.

I don't know about that. The medias had it easy with Kovalev this year. He's too popular, they can't really attack him or don't want too. Koivu has had much more flak, he's not that popular with the french speaking fans (partly because a lot of journalists hate him).

I hope Tanguay doesn't try going for the big money (he could get 6-7 millions from a desperate team, I hope we sign for around 5).

ScottyDoesntKnow 04-11-2009 04:12 PM

Some players have to take a discount if they want to stay, or they're out. I'm thinking of Schneider, he will accept to play here only at a very low salary, or he will be replaced by young d-mans like Weber. To me, Tanguay is the priority this summer and I don't see him getting a discount, he will ask full price and Gainey should give him full price.

Koivu has to take a big discount for sure, he's not able to carry this team on his shoulders anymore and he can't get 4+... Kovalev is a real mystery, does he even want to stay here ?

I doubt Gainey offers a significant raise to Kostopoulos, he's lucky to play here, he'd never get that ice time anywhere else. Bouillon takes a cut or bye bye.

Komi is the other priority, but I'm really not sure what kind of contract he will get. I see Dandy and Brisebois leaving

C-Saku Koivu MTL 04-11-2009 04:15 PM

In montreal you have to overpay UFA by atleast 1mil$ to get a chance at signing them because of all the factors. At market value, the players will chose the other team unless we get lucky (maybe one day it will happen, it hasn't yet). IF our UFA decides to stay here and not test the market, I could see them signing for league value which for us, is somewhat of a discount. Thats the best we can hope I'm afraid. While we strongly believe in our team and Montreal is a great hockey city and all, we haven't won the players trust like the Red Wings and some other team have. Alot of players are afraid to come and play here.

Cupmonger 04-11-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn (Post 18997090)
I don't know about that. The medias had it easy with Kovalev this year. He's too popular, they can't really attack him or don't want too. Koivu has had much more flak, he's not that popular with the french speaking fans (partly because a lot of journalists hate him).

I hope Tanguay doesn't try going for the big money (he could get 6-7 millions from a desperate team, I hope we sign for around 5).

I hope we keep Tanguay, I really do. I was really happy we got him during off season.
I know Kovy said he wanted to stay. But I remember him being targetted quite often this season by media, way more than Koivu, to my memory that is :S
Besides, I would say only Habs fans that want as many french canadian players in the team dislike Koivu. All of the Quebecers I know (except one) want Koivu to end his carrier with the CH.

emb24* 04-11-2009 04:19 PM

you guys crack me up. gainey has dug a HOLE. koivu walks? who's playing center? lapierre/chipchura/metropolit and girlanec?
:laugh:
who's playing wing? the kos' sure have shown a lot this year
:shakehead
maxpac, d'ago i like a lot..higgy, tender...
but no kovy? maybe but what are the guarantees we find a top scoring winger? we can't sign any ufa's.

and no komi...? yeah we'll be even tougher and better defensively next year...and spare me the whole 'he's underachieved'. we all know that if he goes to the isles or philly or NJ he will return to being a beast.

looking at holland's prescience and pro activity and then watching gainey...kind of make's me sick.

and if this is gillette's idea, well **** you george.

the new owners are going to have a very cranky fan base if we have 80 points next year

FlyingKostitsyn 04-11-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emb24 (Post 18997282)
you guys crack me up. gainey has dug a HOLE. koivu walks? who's playing center? lapierre/chipchura/metropolit and girlanec?
but no kovy? maybe but what are the guarantees we find a top scoring winger? we can't sign any ufa's.

and no komi...? yeah we'll be even tougher and better defensively next year...and spare me the whole 'he's underachieved'. we all know that if he goes to the isles or philly or NJ he will return to being a beast.

looking at holland's prescience and pro activity and then watching gainey...kind of make's me sick.

the new owners are going to have a very cranky fan base if we have 80 points next year

I expect most of our FA players to be re-signed. Since a lot of them are aging veterans and the others had bad seasons we should be able to stay under the cap easily. We can also let one or two of them walk and sign another high salary player or trade assests to acquire one. This situation gives us tremendous flexibility with the salary cap.

emb24* 04-11-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komi4Vezina (Post 18997366)
emb24, the real hab fan. :facepalm:

Saku.

what's your problem?

Cupmonger 04-11-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komi4Vezina (Post 18997104)
Some players have to take a discount if they want to stay, or they're out. I'm thinking of Schneider, he will accept to play here only at a very low salary, or he will be replaced by young d-mans like Weber. To me, Tanguay is the priority this summer and I don't see him getting a discount, he will ask full price and Gainey should give him full price.

Koivu has to take a big discount for sure, he's not able to carry this team on his shoulders anymore and he can't get 4+... Kovalev is a real mystery, does he even want to stay here ?

I doubt Gainey offers a significant raise to Kostopoulos, he's lucky to play here, he'd never get that ice time anywhere else. Bouillon takes a cut or bye bye.

Komi is the other priority, but I'm really not sure what kind of contract he will get. I see Dandy and Brisebois leaving

I don't think Schneider will get a huge cut. We didn't resign Streit in the off season and we noticed how wrong we were bout him not being improtant. I could see him as a fine vet for incoming young Dmen we want on the blueline. Heck, Schneider shadowed Bogosian, that kid learned a lot and is really quite impressing.

May be it's just me but I thought koivu was important for our team this season. Sure he didn't break recors or anything, but I still thing he had a valuable role.

Kosto will get a raise, not a sinificant one, I agree. But I do think he'll sign here again because he wants to.

ScottyDoesntKnow 04-11-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

emb24, the true hab fan. :facepalm:

Saku.

ScottyDoesntKnow 04-11-2009 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cupmonger (Post 18997363)
I don't think Schneider will get a huge cut. We didn't resign Streit in the off season and we noticed how wrong we were bout him not being improtant. I could see him as a fine vet for incoming young Dmen we want on the blueline. Heck, Schneider shadowed Bogosian, that kid learned a lot and is really quite impressing.

May be it's just me but I thought koivu was important for our team this season. Sure he didn't break recors or anything, but I still thing he had a valuable role.

Kosto will get a raise, not a sinificant one, I agree. But I do think he'll sign here again because he wants to.

Schneider was making 5,625,000 in 2008-2009. He will be 40 years old next year. As much as I like Schneider and he could be good for this team, I don't see him making more than 2.5 - 3. If he doesn't want that, he will be replaced by the young guys, it would be a plus to have him, but it's not a must IMO

Cupmonger 04-11-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Yes our team has one foot in it's grave.:sarcasm:

We aren't talking who's resigning and for how much. More of who would take a discount with us judging on the current season.

Whitesnake 04-11-2009 04:29 PM

Players take hometown discounts depending of the hometown....either 'cause the city is so great 'cause of the off-ice issues (environment, taxes, weather...) either because the on-ice issues means a team that is a proven winner.

We have neither.....yet. Still we are lucky to have some exceptions in our team like Markov. And we might be lucky to have some more. Problem is that this team with the unknown owners, unknown GM's and coaches, and unknown situation of the team with their UFA's, I really can't see one of our guys doing it. Except maybe Koivu and Kovalev. Others may be tempted to see what's out there.

But then, I believe that a hometown discount as to be based on money and length of contract. Is Franzen's contract that real of a hometown discount? 11 years?

RE-HABS 04-11-2009 04:30 PM

Hometown discounts are great, but when you have to lengthen a deal for a player at 29 to be 11 years long till he is 40 I think that is a problem.

3.9 million per sounds like a bargain now for a 30 goal scorer, but hows that going to be for him and the team the last half of the contract?

Cupmonger 04-11-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komi4Vezina (Post 18997531)
Schneider was making 5,625,000 in 2008-2009. He will be 40 years old next year. As much as I like Schneider and he could be good for this team, I don't see him making more than 2.5 - 3. If he doesn't want that, he will be replaced by the young guys, it would be a plus to have him, but it's not a must IMO

Yea I don't see him doing over 5 mil that's for sure, I also didn't know it was that much. 3.5-4 was around what I was thinking. I also didn't know his age.

emb24* 04-11-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cupmonger (Post 18997483)
Yes our team has one foot in it's grave.:sarcasm:

We aren't talking who's resigning and for how much. More of who would take a discount with us judging on the current season.

yeah the team has no problems next year if no one signs...of course

discounts happen for basically four reasons.

1) a player has played his entire career for a team and feels a deep sense of loyalty
2) refer to 1 + player believes this team gives him best chance of winning
3) longer length instead of less money
4) player trying to rehabilitate his career

do any of our guys fit into these categories? gainey doesn't like to give out long terms contracts, which incidentally kovy's agent came out with last year (less money longer terms). so now what?

who comes back at discount?

maybe the role players and saku on a longer term agreement...maybe kovalev is BG stays behind bench...

tanguay? komi?

again if gainey can convince them to stay on 3-4 year deals and shun the bigger deals they will get on the market + a sloth like gainey it seems MAY run out of time with so many to negotiate with before july 1st...they will all walk after the 1st if it doesn't get done imo

Cupmonger 04-11-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS (Post 18997647)
Hometown discounts are great, but when you have to lengthen a deal for a player at 29 to be 11 years long till he is 40 I think that is a problem.

3.9 million per sounds like a bargain now for a 30 goal scorer, but hows that going to be for him and the team the last half of the contract?

We don't have any 30 goal scorers :(

Cupmonger 04-11-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emb24 (Post 18997692)
yeah the team has no problems next year if no one signs...of course

discounts happen for basically four reasons.

1) a player has played his entire career for a team and feels a deep sense of loyalty
2) refer to 1 + player believes this team gives him best chance of winning
3) longer length instead of less money
4) player trying to rehabilitate his career

do any of our guys fit into these categories? gainey doesn't like to give out long terms contracts, which incidentally kovy's agent came out with last year (less money longer terms). so now what?

who comes back at discount?

maybe the role players and saku on a longer term agreement...maybe kovalev is BG stays behind bench...

tanguay? komi?

again if gainey can convince them to stay on 3-4 year deals and shun the bigger deals they will get on the market + a sloth like gainey it seems MAY run out of time with so many to negotiate with before july 1st...they will all walk after the 1st if it doesn't get done imo

Okay, I see what you mean. I do think it's possible that some players may ditch us like Streit last year. But I'm rather positive BG will sign the key players for a right price.

Agnostic 04-11-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble (Post 18996553)
Noticed the Red Wings locked up Franzen today and some people think he gave the Wings a home town discount. Anyways if a player like Franzen who really played great this year took a hit for his team who out of our 11 FA's should take a hit? and when was the last time a Montreal player gave the team a hometown discount? You see teams like Vancouver and Detroit getting them on a silver platter but I don't see our own home grown talent even thinking about it.

Personally I think Kovalev and Koivu need to be hitting the discount line. Kovalev because of inconsistency and Koivu because his age looks like it is catching up to him, Tanguay might also take a small discount. Schneider definitly just because of age and his last contract was bloated in the first place. Kosto deserves a raise and Komi will get a raise reguardless of his atrocious play this year. Tanguay might also take a small discount.

After those six I could see the rest being let go and replaced by rookies, maybe one of Boullion or Dandy gets a small contract.

Tanguay
Koivu
Kovalev
Kostopolous
Boullion
Dandenault
Komisarek
Schneider
Brisebois

And Janik, Henry, Denis

A lot hinges on how successful the team is in the playoffs, and how good they feel about their situation when they clean out their lockers. A couple like Koivu and Komisarek are no-brainers, they'll be back, Kovalev seems likely to return, where it gets tricky is the likes of Tanguay, Lang and Schneider.

The rest are replaceable parts.

emb24* 04-11-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cupmonger (Post 18997774)
We don't have any 30 goal scorers :(

i wonder if anyone on here actually seriously considers the alternative. a bob gainey who at times, this year, seems like he's making it up on the fly...and a potentially unstable ownership situation --add in the taxes, the media, the language...

and the alternative to not signing our vets (as most of our youth core has regressed) is a NIGHTMARE

and then throw in the youth core..the pleks, komi, higgins--all ufa's or rfa's.

sorry i don't like this

emb24* 04-11-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl the habs fan (Post 18997872)
A lot hinges on how successful the team is in the playoffs, and how good they feel about their situation when they clean out their lockers. A couple like Koivu and Komisarek are no-brainers, they'll be back, Kovalev seems likely to return, where it gets tricky is the likes of Tanguay, Lang and Schneider.

The rest are replaceable parts.

how are those two no-brainers? and believe me, like you, i want them back...i just want to hear your logic as to how it's a slam dunk