HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gaborik - Do you think Gainey goes after him this offseason? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=630703)

neofury* 04-13-2009 09:31 AM

Gaborik - Do you think Gainey goes after him this offseason?
 
17gp 13g 10a 23pts (and a +3)

I know it isn't saying much and he is a LW, but he's a point per game type guy and a real gamebreaker imo, something the habs have needed for some time now.

Then again, going for Gaborik would likely equate to not re-signing Tanguay.

Would you guys be for or against this? Would you consider trying to sign both and forming 2 good lines again or would you rather Gainey just stick with the 1 line we have and re-sign our big 3 (Kovy, Tang, Koivu)

I don't think Gainey is going to want to make a trade for a big name, I think it makes more sense to sign one when given the chance to. (Not saying Gaborik would want to sign here, just using him as the example because he is a good point producer and UFA)

Who else would you guys have in mind aside from Koivu, Tanguay, Kovalev and Gaborik in terms of UFA material?

Should we re-sign Lang? It's going to be one long summer for the habs :)

lxzred 04-13-2009 09:43 AM

I'd definitely resign Lang for 2-3 mill before spending all our cap space on Gaborik.

Fozz 04-13-2009 09:47 AM

Gaborik is a RW.

This might be the best possible time to go after him. He was injured most of the year and the cap will go down, which should lower his value. Also, he just got surgery, which might have fixed the nagging grown problem he's been dealing with in the past. I'm not sure if a team will take a chance in giving him a long-term, overpayment type contract this time. I'd offer him a 2 year, 6M per contract.

neofury* 04-13-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fozz (Post 19031027)
Gaborik is a RW.

This might be the best possible time to go after him. He was injured most of the year and the cap will go down, which should lower his value. Also, he just got surgery, which might have fixed the nagging grown problem he's been dealing with in the past. I'm not sure if a team will take a chance in giving him a long-term, overpayment type contract this time. I'd offer him a 2 year, 6M per contract.

I must've misread it on NHL.com, thought it said L.

Either way I find that even more appealing then before now, cause Tanguay-Koivu-Gaborik looks awesome :)

Benzaza 04-13-2009 09:50 AM

I dont think it is a good idea to make a speculation on whom will be signed as long as we do no know if the habs will be sold and what the hockey staff will composed of? Is gainey staying ? etc.....

Fozz 04-13-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofury (Post 19031039)
I must've misread it on NHL.com, thought it said L.

Either way I find that even more appealing then before now, cause Tanguay-Koivu-Gaborik looks awesome :)

Every time I've seen him play, he was a RW. I'll trust that before any website. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzaza (Post 19031054)
I dont think it is a good idea to make a speculation on whom will be signed as long as we do no know if the habs will be sold and what the hockey staff will composed of? Is gainey staying ? etc.....

What difference does that make? It's not like we know what the current organization and owner would do.

neofury* 04-13-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fozz (Post 19031130)
What difference does that make? It's not like we know what the current organization and owner would do.

LOL well said. Exactly, why should the future of our management stop me from discussing if other fans would like us to make an attempt at signing a player. I fail to see how this is speculation, more-so just a conversation.

I'm with Fozz on this one, if you don't like the idea of getting Gab fine, but don't make a retarded post like the one you just did as a result lmao.

Benzaza 04-13-2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fozz (Post 19031130)
What difference does that make? It's not like we know what the current organization and owner would do.


the topic is ''will gainey go after gaborik in the off season''..Gianey might not even be here by June so that was my point...if we know for sure that Gainey is here to stay...lets speculate on any potential player that might sign at montreal

neofury* 04-13-2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzaza (Post 19031185)
the topic is ''will gainey go after gaborik in the off season''..Gianey might not even be here by June so that was my point...if we know for sure that Gainey is here to stay...lets speculate on any potential player that might sign at montreal

OK fair enough. Then "Will(or should) the habs organization, Gainey, or the future GM of the habs go after Gaborik this offseason?"

Is this OK now?

I mean come on, you know what was meant by the thread and question at hand.

Fozz 04-13-2009 10:05 AM

Since this is a discussion and a good place to speculate, let's god crazy.

Assuming Lemaire is a possibility to be the next Hab's head coach, would that help in getting Gaborik or not? Have there ever been reports of problems between those 2 before?

Jack Bourdain 04-13-2009 10:07 AM

I hope not.

He's always injured.

Benzaza 04-13-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofury (Post 19031200)
OK fair enough. Then "Will(or should) the habs organization, Gainey, or the future GM of the habs go after Gaborik this offseason?"

Is this OK now?

I mean come on, you know what was meant by the thread and question at hand.

jeez didnt mean to sound picky or anything... be kind,rewind :-)

Habsterix* 04-13-2009 10:19 AM

I hope he doesn't.

Although skilled, he's also yet another dipsy-doodler and he's injury prone. Enough with those players already.

Here's hoping that the last few seasons have taught our management a valuable lesson: build around skills yes, but grit and Canadians are known for that aspect of their game.

dd 04-13-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix (Post 19031395)
I hope he doesn't.

Although skilled, he's also yet another dipsy-doodler and he's injury prone. Enough with those players already.

Here's hoping that the last few seasons have taught our management a valuable lesson: build around skills yes, but grit and Canadians are known for that aspect of their game.

Agreed!

timbitca 04-13-2009 10:51 AM

Way too injury prone. We've seen first hand what comes out of that this year. No thanks.

Roulin 04-13-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timbitca (Post 19031855)
Way too injury prone. We've seen first hand what comes out of that this year. No thanks.

Actually, this year has just proven how random injuries can be.

Here are the games played in the previous three seasons:

Markov - 82, 77, 67
Lang - 76, 81, 72
Tanguay - 78, 81, 71

None of these players were considered injury prone before this season. It's just a lot of bad luck.

superstar436 04-13-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain (Post 19031251)
I hope not.

He's always injured.

+1

If BG does this, he will increase his list of bad UFA signings

GNick42 04-13-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofury (Post 19030897)
17gp 13g 10a 23pts (and a +3)

I know it isn't saying much and he is a LW, but he's a point per game type guy and a real gamebreaker imo, something the habs have needed for some time now.

Then again, going for Gaborik would likely equate to not re-signing Tanguay.

Would you guys be for or against this? Would you consider trying to sign both and forming 2 good lines again or would you rather Gainey just stick with the 1 line we have and re-sign our big 3 (Kovy, Tang, Koivu)

I don't think Gainey is going to want to make a trade for a big name, I think it makes more sense to sign one when given the chance to. (Not saying Gaborik would want to sign here, just using him as the example because he is a good point producer and UFA)

Who else would you guys have in mind aside from Koivu, Tanguay, Kovalev and Gaborik in terms of UFA material?

Should we re-sign Lang? It's going to be one long summer for the habs :)

I hope he goes after somebody big. We are a star player away from being cup contender. Many options out there

lxzred 04-13-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzaza (Post 19031185)
the topic is ''will gainey go after gaborik in the off season''..Gianey might not even be here by June so that was my point...if we know for sure that Gainey is here to stay...lets speculate on any potential player that might sign at montreal

The world might end tomorrow, so all those people planning for the future wasted there time :sarcasm:

The Gal Pals 04-13-2009 11:27 AM

I would play Gaborik until xmas and then rest him for the rest of the season for the playoffs.

Row* 04-13-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain (Post 19031251)
I hope not.

He's always injured.

So was Havlat, but look at him this season, only missed a few

Gsborik just has terrible luck

WestIslander 04-13-2009 11:48 AM

I prefer going after Bouwmeester and making Markov - Bouwmeester our top two!

bib 04-13-2009 11:51 AM

We're not desperate enough. I can definitely see the Leafs signing him though.

Habsterix* 04-13-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roulin (Post 19032071)
Actually, this year has just proven how random injuries can be.

Here are the games played in the previous three seasons:

Markov - 82, 77, 67
Lang - 76, 81, 72
Tanguay - 78, 81, 71

None of these players were considered injury prone before this season. It's just a lot of bad luck.

Gaborik has only played more than 65 games once in his last 5 seasons and only once in his career has he reached the 80 games plateau. It's a bit more than bad luck if you ask me.

timbitca 04-13-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix (Post 19032813)
Gaborik has only played more than 65 games once in his last 5 seasons and only once in his career has he reached the 80 games plateau. It's a bit more than bad luck if you ask me.

I was going to point this out, over his last 4 seasons he's averaging 51 games per year. Nothing random about that ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.