HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Jack Todd rant: Playoffs mean payoffs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=630723)

hashmi842* 04-13-2009 10:26 AM

Jack Todd rant: Playoffs mean payoffs

Enough said, this centennial season has been a disaster. From the off ice rumours to the barber jerseys, Gillett wants to get every penny he can get from this team, and making the first round will bring in another 15 Million dollars. Gainey even said it the goal was to make playoffs, how long are we going to tolerate this crap? We want the cup, and We are the best fans, and all we get is making the playoffs.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sport...366/story.html

cjbhab* 04-13-2009 01:42 PM

I don't get what the issue is here.. Everyone including myself was very happy with the team we had assembled for this season.. sure we saw a couple holes, but we were happy with it..

What do you honestly want? There's been injuries, langer is out.. **** happens.. We have a fine owner. It's no secret playoffs bring in cash.

beowulf 04-13-2009 01:45 PM

Come on they are in the playoffs and who knows what can happen from there. I have no issue with the barbershop jersey, it is part of our history which is why they used it. AS for making $15M per series...who cares? I rather the team make money so it can continue to spend close to the cap then not.

Lone Rogue 04-13-2009 01:47 PM

Gillette is only owning this team to make money.

Winning a Stanley Cup makes you more money than a first round exit.

He wants the Cup because it makes him more money.

Sports1131 04-13-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Rogue (Post 19034845)
Gillette is only owning this team to make money.

Winning a Stanley Cup makes you more money than a first round exit.

He wants the Cup because it makes him more money.

And your point is? Obviously Gillett bought the Canadiens to be profitable, but it's not like money is the only thing he cares about.

He's been deeply respectful of the history of the team and is quite obviously a fan as well. I really don't get how there can be any hate at all towards the man -- he's been a great owner and I hope he doesn't sell the team.

Lone Rogue 04-13-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sports1131 (Post 19035336)
And your point is? Obviously Gillett bought the Canadiens to be profitable, but it's not like money is the only thing he cares about.

My point was, its absolutely stupid to think that the guy only cares about a playoff birth. Why wouldn't he want an extra $15M for the second round? Or the third round? Or the Cup Finals?

Gillette does whats right for the team, and whats right... makes money.

Quote:

He's been deeply respectful of the history of the team and is quite obviously a fan as well. I really don't get how there can be any hate at all towards the man -- he's been a great owner and I hope he doesn't sell the team.

I agree with you 100%.

HH 04-13-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Because our beloved media and the followers of said media want a Quebecer to own the team. I for once hope Gillett stays owner forever.

Laps40 04-13-2009 02:24 PM

Still, this season will be a big deception if we dont go far in the playoffs.

And Gillet's goal is to profit obviously, i dont see a problem with that (he's a businessman, what else?). And yes, he wants us to go as far as possible. But it's not his job to build a team to be able to do so.

Hopefully, i am wrong and Habs will be the big surprise :)

Metropolitsky 04-13-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ansar (Post 19031487)
Enough said, this centennial season has been a disaster. From the off ice rumours to the barber jerseys, Gillett wants to get every penny he can get from this team, and making the first round will bring in another 15 Million dollars. Gainey even said it the goal was to make playoffs, how long are we going to tolerate this crap? We want the cup, and We are the best fans, and all we get is making the playoffs.

I'm really not sure about that

TheCH* 04-13-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

:shakehead
I don't get it, if Gilliett's main concern is profit, then the farther the team goes the more he will get. Obviously winning the cup would = mad profits..

lxzred 04-13-2009 02:37 PM

How did buying a new scoreboard bring in more money?

Sports franchises are terrible investments. I think the term is Ego investment. A cup winning team is a better ego investment than a last place team.

Teufelsdreck 04-13-2009 02:44 PM

If Gillett really wanted to make a pile of money this past season he would have twisted Gainey's arm to pay an exorbitant price in young talent to bring in big names who might have taken the Habs farther into the playoffs but lasted just a year or two, like the Leafs GM who traded Brad Boyes and others.

Lone Rogue 04-13-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lxzred (Post 19035756)

Improved facility. It also adds value to the Bell Centre. That's not a "bring in more money" investment. The Stanley Cup is. It promises you at least 8 more sell-outs in the Bell Centre.

Lucius 04-13-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

This is idiotic.

Hockey teams make money in the playoffs? WHO KNEW!

Todd also simultaneously slams Gillett for greed, then slams Corey for not being greedy.

Plus, in a cap world, doesn't that mean Gilett and Co should be pissed off if we go out in round one.

That's 45 million dollars they miss out on.

As much as we all love the team, it's simplistic and silly to think of this as anything more than a business. If the owner didn't want to make money on his investment, he'd have serious issues.

BoNeS42 04-13-2009 02:54 PM

Gillett doesn't care about this team at all, that's why he's sitting in the first row *in the middle of the crowd* and almost jerks off every time his team score.

Let's get rid of him.

Turboflex* 04-13-2009 03:28 PM

Hack Todd is an incoherent jabbering idiot. The Gazette sucks too, letting this idiot write a column in their paper, I cancelled my subscription because of him.

habsrock60 04-13-2009 03:30 PM

I'm sure Gillett is only concerned with money when he just went out and bought one of the best jumbotrons in the league and just built a state of the art practice facility. Once again, the French media embarasses themselves:shakehead

TheCH* 04-13-2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lxzred (Post 19035756)

Sports franchises are terrible investments. I think the term is Ego investment. A cup winning team is a better ego investment than a last place team.

The habs were an excellent investment for him. On top of all the revenue profits per year, he'll probably get 100 million dollars more when he sells then what he paid. Looks pretty damn good to me!

gee 04-13-2009 03:44 PM

the barber pole jerseys would have been better if they had done like price and gone with brown gloves and pants - similar to
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/5301...0A659CEC4C8CB6

Gary320 04-13-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsrock60 (Post 19036798)
I'm sure Gillett is only concerned with money when he just went out and bought one of the best jumbotrons in the league and just built a state of the art practice facility. Once again, the French media embarasses themselves:shakehead

The French Media?

Jack Todd is an Anglophone media journalist.

JackieChan 04-13-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsrock60 (Post 19036798)

You might want to keep working on your sarcasm.

onice 04-13-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCH (Post 19037078)
The habs were an excellent investment for him. On top of all the revenue profits per year, he'll probably get 100 million dollars more when he sells then what he paid. Looks pretty damn good to me!

This must explain why there was a lineup of local business interests ready to buy the Habs 6-7 years ago.

Sorry this doesn't fly in my books. Gillett is making money with the Habs because he's a good business man with lots of courage.

If I remember correctly all the local money people were whistling dixie and not wanting any part of the Habs.

beowulf 04-13-2009 03:51 PM

Wasn't Todd suppose to retired a while ago?

Lucius 04-13-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gee (Post 19037116)
the barber pole jerseys would have been better if they had done like price and gone with brown gloves and pants - similar to
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/5301...0A659CEC4C8CB6

The only reason I hate the barber pole jersey is because I just keep remembering the Lang injury.

Anyone who gets bent out of shape over a third jersey is wasting their angst.

Maxpac 04-13-2009 03:55 PM

What the heck is this mumbling all about?

1. WE'RE NOT EVEN ELIMINATED YET!!!!!

2. We've been cursed with injuries all season long, Lang is out for the season, Koivu, Price, Higgins,Tanguay, Markov, Laraque, Bouillon, Komisarek, Hamrlik, Dandenault, Kovalev, Halak and Latendresse all missed games for reasons.

3. It's not Gainey or Gillette's fault for any of this, we are real close of the cap, Gainey got 5,25 mil player in Tanguay this summer, a 5,75 mil player in Schneider who replaced a 4 mil player in Lang, it's not like he played it cheap