HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Sugestions for rollerblades (hockey style) and sticks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=630947)

GIN ANTONIC 04-13-2009 06:40 PM

Sugestions for rollerblades (hockey style) and sticks

Hey everyone. Was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what are some of the best hockey rollerblades out there. I've been playing in the same pair for about 8 years or so. It's a pair of Bauer vapour with the shock rocker. Something like this.

http://www.londonskaters.com/images/...s/image001.jpg

I mainly play road hockey but was thinking of joining a rec league this summer. Anyway, they still work ok, a little beat up but they are a little tight so I was thinking about getting a new pair. Haven't gone shopping for new blades in a long time so I'm a little out of the loop. I know bauer, nike, ccm and mission make some good products but don't know which direction to go. Oh and feel free to throw in any thoughts and bearings and wheels too!

Also if anyone has suggestions for road hockey sticks that would be great. I'm using a wood Lindros road hockey stick from Canadian Tire. They're great because they have a pretty good curve and the blade practically never wears down, but they're super heavy. Anyway, I'd love some suggestions for that too.

roast 04-13-2009 06:50 PM

If you go rec games you'll want to get something that lasts - Bauer, CCM, Mission, Tour, Easton all make decent inline skates - wide range of prices as well. Then you just get another set of wheels that are harder for outdoor play and switch them out as necessary.

As far as a stick goes - I just use anything wooden - I really don't know if anyone makes street specific sticks (anymore) Franklin did for awhile...but you may find one with a harder blade that lasts - and no Mylec!

The Big Giant Head 04-13-2009 06:55 PM

I only skate on CCM. I have a pair of the old 1052's and i love the boot styling and the feel of the boot. The new boots are just as nice and feel just as good but i dont exactly like how they look.

WickedWrister 04-13-2009 06:57 PM

Easton makes an ABS blade that is specifically for outdoor use. I just get a nice shaft and switch out the blades as they wear down when I play outdoors.

I'm also considering joining an inline league this summer, and I need a new pair of skates. Wheels come in hardness, and for the league you're going to join, you're going to want some soft wheels that grip the court. I wouldn't go for anything harder than a 74a, else you will lose some traction.

Devil Dancer 04-16-2009 10:34 AM

I love Koho's ABS blade, but it's hard to find sometimes. For a shaft you can use any regular hockey shaft, but you probably know that already.

SirJW 04-16-2009 02:11 PM

If you like the way your old Vapors fit, try the new ones. I know a few who upgraded for Ice and they love their new skates.

Hobgoblin Steve 04-16-2009 03:55 PM

for skates, its gotta be Mission all the way. try the Wicked 3's or 1's, a great skate, and you can probably get them at a good price now. I think I got my 3's for 350 when they came out, and I skate 3 times a week weather permitting (games/pickup) and they still preform like new. The one thing I really dont like however are the micro bearings. I dunno why, just dont like them.

WickedWrister 05-03-2009 01:59 PM

Anyone else have input?

evgeni71 05-03-2009 07:44 PM

For skates, pick the skate that best fits your feet and fits your budget. I would spend a little extra on skates, the difference between low end and high end skates are huge. If you have a big budget and is willing to spend, the ice-to-inline conversion might be the best choice. Pick your favorite ice skate, buy a chassis and wheels, and either throw on the chassis yourself or get your LHS to do it for you. If your interested in that route, the folks over at Modsquad have a terrific guide on how to do it yourself: http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...howtopic=44573.

As previously mentioned, if your going to be playing both indoors and outdoors, I'd go buy another set of wheels (either outdoor-82A+, or indoor-76A-) depending on what kind of wheels come with your skate.

As far as a stick goes, if you are going to be playing outdoors on asphalt, I'd stick with a standard 2-piece combo, the reason being that standard ABS blades are much more easy to find than tapered. Again, what kind of shaft you get really depends on your budget. If you're looking at a high end shaft, I'd go with the Warrior AK27 or Easton S15 (Z-Bubble clone). Both are great sticks, and I think Warrior introduced a brand new AK27 shaft, so if you can find a deal at your LHS on last years model, you could score big. For blades if you are playing outdoors, stick with ABS blades. Koho and CCM make some durable, light blades, you could take a look at those.

Good luck.