HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   St. Louis for Selke (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=63106)

DaveyCrockett 03-18-2004 02:54 PM

St. Louis for Selke

St.Louis is a dynamic offensive player who also plays very well defensively and is a great PK'er. Since beside Draper, who is injured, no other forward has stood out defensively, I think St. Louis will get it kind of like Yzerman and Fedorov did.

SumOfUs 03-18-2004 03:10 PM

There's no way in hell St. Louis will or should get the selke. There are so many other better defensive forwards than St. Louis he shouldn't even get consideration. I think Madden should win it, but we'll see what happens.

Owen Wilson 03-18-2004 03:11 PM

Alyn McCauley gets my vote

Raging Bull 03-18-2004 03:11 PM

St.Loius will not win the Selke, no way in hell.

Greg7 03-18-2004 03:16 PM

Is this a joke?

Being defensively responsible doesn't win you a Selke, and neither does penalty killing. Being a great shutdown forward wins you the Selke. People are assigned to shut St Louis down, not the other way around.

OldTimeHockey 03-18-2004 03:17 PM

Can't see the leading scorer in the league getting the Selke

shelovesshanny 03-18-2004 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett
St.Louis is a dynamic offensive player who also plays very well defensively and is a great PK'er. Since beside Draper, who is injured, no other forward has stood out defensively, I think St. Louis will get it kind of like Yzerman and Fedorov did.

St. Louis is not even in the same league as Fedorovs selke years. Yzerman was a very good defensive center but i feel part of his win was for paying his dues. St. Louis has a verrry long way to go in both categories to even consider this statement.

Brock 03-18-2004 03:21 PM

Just because you score a lot of shorthanded goals and you have a good +/- doesn't mean you should win the Selke.

The Selke is awarded to the player who shuts down the opposition, almost as if he's a third defenseman out there, but can also put up good offensive numbers. St. Louis is defensively responsible, but certainly not someone who shuts down oppositions forwards.

I echo the sentiment for Alyn McCauley.

neelynugs 03-18-2004 03:49 PM

mccauley, lehtinen, primeau (until he got the concussion), madden, draper

Team Dandenault 03-18-2004 03:55 PM

I've got no problem with St. Louis winning the Selke.
32 +/-
7 SHG
:yo:

Rotting Corpse* 03-18-2004 03:56 PM

He's probably just basing this on +/-.

One day I'm going to post a long rant on +/-, but right now I want to go bash my head on the wall.

Verbal Kint* 03-18-2004 03:58 PM

This reminds me of that old Naslund for Selke thread. :joker:

SumOfUs 03-18-2004 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Dandenault
32 +/-
7 SHG

As mentioned before, +/- and SH goals don't mean a thing when it comes to this award. I'd like to see St. Louis try to stop Joe Thornton or Marian Hossa on a one on one situation.

Raging Bull 03-18-2004 04:35 PM

Im surprised Pavel Bure never won the Selke in his day. :joker:

Lyons71 03-18-2004 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Dandenault
32 +/-
7 SHG

Well, Forsberg had a great +/- last year, did he get the Selke?

Snugglepuss 03-18-2004 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyons71
Well, Forsberg had a great +/- last year, did he get the Selke?

... well he was fourth in voting...