HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Helminen - Award (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=63150)

rwinger 03-18-2004 05:26 PM

Helminen - Award

Hi Ranger Fans,

Sorry if this not a big deal to you or if it is a repost, but Dwight Helminen, the prospect you got in the Nedved trade, won the CCHA Best Defensive forward award at the CCHA ceremony yesterday. He has been playing really well this year for us (Wolverines). He works very hard against players much bigger than him on the PK (heart, hard work) and has started scoring at opportune times for us.
He currently leads the team in goals (17 in 37 GP) and third in points (29 in 37GP)

Link
http://www.mgoblue.com/document_disp...ument_id=14321

Some previous winners of this award:
Jed Ortmeyer
John Madden

Here's hoping Dewey really works out for you.

Ciao
Red Wings - Wolverines Fan

L.I.RangerFan 03-18-2004 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwinger
Hi Ranger Fans,

Sorry if this not a big deal to you or if it is a repost, but Dwight Helminen, the prospect you got in the Nedved trade, won the CCHA Best Defensive forward award at the CCHA ceremony yesterday. He has been playing really well this year for us (Wolverines). He works very hard against players much bigger than him on the PK (heart, hard work) and has started scoring at opportune times for us.
He currently leads the team in goals (17 in 37 GP) and third in points (29 in 37GP)

Link

Jed Ortmeyer
John Madden

Ciao

Thanks, I really like this kid, reminds me of a more offensive minded Ortmeyer.

Park #2 03-18-2004 05:30 PM

Quote:

Hi Ranger Fans,

Link

Jed Ortmeyer
John Madden

Ciao

I was told that one member of the Ranger Organization views the upside of Helminen as a better skating, quicker John Madden.

rwinger 03-18-2004 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
Thanks, I really like this kid, reminds me of a more offensive minded Ortmeyer.

When Jed was with us last year, they both were together on the PK. Jed threw hits at the right time and Helminen was the scorer. Stylewise, Jed skates equally well (strong, efficient etc) around the ice, but Dewey is definitely a better North-South guy.

nyr5186 03-18-2004 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Park #2
I was told that one member of the Ranger Organization views the upside of Helminen as a better skating, quicker John Madden.

If he turns out to be anything close to what Todd Marchant is, I'll be thrilled.

Park #2 03-18-2004 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
If he turns out to be anything close to what Todd Marchant is, I'll be thrilled.

Marchant has him in the foot race! Marchey could fly..... Man.

The Rangers should be so lucky to have him turn into John Madden - just the type of player the Rangers have lacked since Adam Graves pre-back injury. Of course Gravey has a better nose for the net then Madden, but.....

rwinger 03-18-2004 05:39 PM

Quote:

I concur with this. From memory, when he was in college, John Madden was smarter around the net and good at picking up garbage goals, but, IMO, Dewey can go top shelf on any goaltender on a breakaway and be successful.

Park #2 03-18-2004 05:44 PM

Quote:

I concur with this. From memory, when he was in college, John Madden was smarter around the net and good at picking up garbage goals, but, IMO, Dewey can go top shelf on any goaltender on a breakaway and be successful.

Madden picked up more goals in college - much more - but the game was a bit more high scoring in the Madden years.

The Madden comparison was how one "ranking" official views DH. DH has a bit more foot speed, and a bit less of a nose for the net as a college player.

in the hall 03-18-2004 05:52 PM

maybe i have not been giving enough credit to this kid.. it looks as if we do indeed have another solid prospect on our hands.. i like very much what i've read in this thread

rwinger 03-18-2004 05:52 PM

Quote:

Madden picked up more goals in college - much more - but the game was a bit more high scoring in the Madden years.

The Madden comparison was how one "ranking" official views DH. DH has a bit more foot speed, and a bit less of a nose for the net as a college player.

Here are John Madden's stats when he was with us

Season GP G A Pts PIM
1993-94 36 6 11 17 14
1994-95 39 21 22 43 8
1995-96 43 27 30 57 45
1996-97 42 26 37 63 56

Helminen has 17 goals in 37 Games so far. But you are correct about scoring being high during those years - Michigan was scoring like crazy too (Morrison on the PP, Madden on the PK).

Here's hoping for a goal a game next year :) (atleast a point a game, or atleast a bit above the 0.78 pts a game from this year).

Park #2 03-18-2004 05:58 PM

Quote:

Here are John Madden's stats when he was with us

Season GP G A Pts PIM
1993-94 36 6 11 17 14
1994-95 39 21 22 43 8
1995-96 43 27 30 57 45
1996-97 42 26 37 63 56

Helminen has 17 goals in 37 Games so far. But you are correct about scoring being high during those years - Michigan was scoring like crazy too (Morrison on the PP, Madden on the PK).

Here's hoping for a goal a game next year :) (atleast a point a game, or atleast a bit above the 0.78 pts a game from this year).

The game was different then..... Morrison was scoring 80 points per year!!! I think even Bill Muckalt and Botterill were hitting 30 goals, weren't they? Not to mention Matt Herr getting 20-30! Today, teams are lucky to have one guy hit 25 goals.

n8 03-18-2004 07:54 PM

i posted on another thread how i thought a future murray-helmenin-ortmeyer line would be pretty sweet. i think they'd be a perfect young checking line. speed, defense, forechecking, awesome.

Park #2 03-18-2004 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8
i posted on another thread how i thought a future murray-helmenin-ortmeyer line would be pretty sweet. i think they'd be a perfect young checking line. speed, defense, forechecking, awesome.

Helminen is at least two years (more likely 3) away from the NHL.

n8 03-18-2004 08:29 PM

Quote:

Helminen is at least two years (more likely 3) away from the NHL.

yeah, most of the prospects are probably 2-4 years away. if there is a season next year, i can see murray, ortmeyer, balej, umberger, and moore getting permanent roster spots on the team. add ovechkin if we manage to get him but everyone else is a while away.

i guess i should have emphasized future murray-helmenin-ortmeyer line?

Park #2 03-18-2004 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8
yeah, most of the prospects are probably 2-4 years away. if there is a season next year, i can see murray, ortmeyer, balej, umberger, and moore getting permanent roster spots on the team. add ovechkin if we manage to get him but everyone else is a while away.

i guess i should have emphasized future murray-helmenin-ortmeyer line?

Everyone on this board has such a high opinion of Dominic Moore and I'm really not sure why. I don't see any possible scenario that he is on the big club next year - even if they do sign no one.

That said, Barring trades - Murray, Orts, Balej and possibly Umberger would get a permanent spot. There are other picks in the 1st round who would not be a "While" away.

Putting lines together for the 2006-7 season is a bit of a stretch - no?

Barnaby 03-18-2004 08:51 PM

Quote:

Everyone on this board has such a high opinion of Dominic Moore and I'm really not sure why. I don't see any possible scenario that he is on the big club next year - even if they do sign no one.

That said, Barring trades - Murray, Orts, Balej and possibly Umberger would get a permanent spot. There are other picks in the 1st round who would not be a "While" away.

Putting lines together for the 2006-7 season is a bit of a stretch - no?

I agree..... Half the people here seem to feel Moore is a future 2nd line center. I really don't see it. If he can be a regular contributor in any capacity at the NHL level, then I would take it. It seems like decent play in his short stint with us, and a desire for youth REALLY pushes this guy up (Lundmark anyone?). I like him, but I personally don't see too much to get excited about. I wouldn't mind him on our 4th line next year, but some people aren't realistic.

Park #2 03-18-2004 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
I agree..... Half the people here seem to feel Moore is a future 2nd line center. I really don't see it. If he can be a regular contributor in any capacity at the NHL level, then I would take it. It seems like decent play in his short stint with us, and a desire for youth REALLY pushes this guy up (Lundmark anyone?). I like him, but I personally don't see too much to get excited about. I wouldn't mind him on our 4th line next year, but some people aren't realistic.

He needs at least another year in Hartford, as his play there was disappointing offensively this year. His upside was always a two way third line center, and right now, he is a one way center. He also needs to bulk up and add some upper body strength. I think he's to weak (physically) to stick at the NHL level right now.

Barnaby 03-18-2004 09:15 PM

Quote:

He needs at least another year in Hartford, as his play there was disappointing offensively this year. His upside was always a two way third line center, and right now, he is a one way center. He also needs to bulk up and add some upper body strength. I think he's to weak (physically) to stick at the NHL level right now.

Speaking for myself I dont think he has top 2 line talent. As for a 3rd line center I would prefer someone a little stronger. Ya know, like Holik... but is he our third or 1st line center? ;)

I really think Moore will be a 4th liner who has the ability to move up if there is an inury. I really dont see him on a top teams 3rd line.

Park #2 03-18-2004 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
Speaking for myself I dont think he has top 2 line talent. As for a 3rd line center I would prefer someone a little stronger. Ya know, like Holik... but is he our third or 1st line center? ;)

I really think Moore will be a 4th liner who has the ability to move up if there is an inury. I really dont see him on a top teams 3rd line.

Hence the problem. Holik should be a 2nd-3rd 3 line center.

I have never projected Moore to be any more then a fringe NHL player.

n8 03-18-2004 09:55 PM

although you may not have meant me specifically, i never said he was a second liner. i just thought he was good enough to play in the NHL from his preseason and brief stint. he's probably better off spending one more year in hartford so he can get top line PT though.

Park #2 03-18-2004 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8
although you may not have meant me specifically, i never said he was a second liner. i just thought he was good enough to play in the NHL from his preseason and brief stint. he's probably better off spending one more year in hartford so he can get top line PT though.

I wasn't trying to single anyone out - at all. It's just common on these Ranger boards that people inflate prospects - and Moore has been a common one. It's natural for fans to do that, and I really wasn't trying to single someone out.

BigE 03-18-2004 10:06 PM

Good for the kid and hopefully this serves as further motivation for him to excel and make the NHL.

oldtimer 03-19-2004 08:29 AM

Dom Moore

I've been going to Rangers games for four decades now, and I think I can recognize good Potential when I see it. I was at Gilbert's first game, Park's first game, Leetch's first game, and you could tell right away that these guys "had it". Now, there is no way Dominic Moore is anywhere near that class of player, BUT he is one of the SMARTEST rookies I've seen come along in Ranger blue. He just knows where to go offensively and defensively when he stepped on the ice. Frankly, I'm stumped at his lack of production on the Pack. But, I would love to see him get a chance to center Jagr. If brought along correctly, I think he is at least Jan Erixon, whom I would compare him to.

Fletch 03-19-2004 08:45 AM

I tend to agree Old Timer...

Nothing wrong with a smart player who can play well defensively, maybe net 10 goals, and who can kill penalties. His glimpse in New York looked promising. I was a bit disappointed he wasn't given more of a chance. Perhaps the organization didn't know his role - fourth line center, second or third line winger, checker, scorer, etc. Wouldn't be bad as a fourth line center, at a minimum, getting 10 minutes per night. But Hartford needs him, I guess.

True Blue 03-19-2004 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
Nothing wrong with a smart player who can play well defensively, maybe net 10 goals, and who can kill penalties.

I view him as our future 3rd line center. I would actually not mind having a 3rd line next year of Moore/Ortmeyer/Matty (if he comes back) or another similar defensive forward prospect. Moore can be a solid contributor. But like anyone else, he needs to be given a chance.