HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   NHL2NIGHT to be cancelled after this year :( (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=63171)

Fire Sather 03-18-2004 06:07 PM

NHL2NIGHT to be cancelled after this year :(

Just got an email from Bucci.

Boy.. I hate ESPN. I'm gunna need Center Ice next year.

Luigi Lemieux 03-18-2004 06:10 PM

we need a network that actually cares about hockey to pick it up. showing 1 game a week on national television is not enough.

not to mention on sportscenter the highlights are usually pushed back to the end of the show right after the golf highlights.

Fire Sather 03-18-2004 06:11 PM

Well im sure some network will pick it up.

NHL needs some kind of TV deal.. hopefully Bucci and Melrose follow to that new network.

markov` 03-18-2004 06:13 PM

NHL Network is all I need, along with RDS. Like that, I can watch every Habs games and the night they don't play, I can watch some other games if I'm bored...

Dave is a killer 03-18-2004 06:17 PM

VIACOM, If the NHL knows whats good for them, they'll move to Viacom Cable!

Spike TV, CBS, UPN, we could turn MTV back into a rock and roll channel, and not to mention they broadcast in Canada

And I won't cry if Mulletrose and BucciGROSS are both gone

kira 03-18-2004 06:45 PM

If you haven't considered Center Ice before now, you may want to think seriously about the investment.

tom_servo 03-18-2004 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Sather
Just got an email from Bucci.

Boy.. I hate ESPN. I'm gunna need Center Ice next year.

If people actually watched it, it wouldn't be cancelled.

GKJ 03-18-2004 06:53 PM

Bettman shouldn't be able to live with himself if he allows himself to have any part of Disney networks.

Although it's not like the show ever aired to begin with. It went from 7 days to 5 days to left over time after games

Quote:

Originally Posted by kira
If you haven't considered Center Ice before now, you may want to think seriously about the investment.

If you haven't considered Center Ice before now, you may want to think seriously about life and hockey period.

Pleeeease Viacom. CBS, or whoever. NBC has a lot of time on their hands too.

Vagrant 03-18-2004 06:55 PM

Guess this puts my ringtone out of date. Bah.

Toonces 03-18-2004 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
If you haven't considered Center Ice before now, you may want to think seriously about life and hockey period.

Center Ice = Hockey Love

I hate to admit this, but I never liked NHL2NIGHT.

detredWINgs 03-18-2004 07:01 PM

Maybe if Melrose WASN'T on the show, more people would watch it. Bucci can hold the fort.

Holly Gunning 03-18-2004 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Sather
NHL needs some kind of TV deal.. hopefully Bucci and Melrose follow to that new network.

I was going to say the same thing.

I hope Bucci leaves ESPN and goes someplace that actually prioritizes hockey because he pours everything he has into it.

blah 03-18-2004 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom_servo
If people actually watched it, it wouldn't be cancelled.

If it was worth watching people would watch.

dulzhok 03-18-2004 07:34 PM

In all honestly, you can't really blame ESPN. Their money is based off adversting, which is based off the number of viewers they get. They have been getting a miniscle number of viewers for the NHL. When the all-star game was on ABC a few weekends ago, arena football beat out their ratings.

I don't really know who to blame. I'm sure many place the blame on Bettman "for ruining the game." But the fact of the matter is the NHL does not have a big-time market in the US and it's going to be extremely difficult to get any kind of good TV deal.

I'll just be happy if the NHL, and its small-time market, work things out over the summer and get rid of the big-time salaries.

Fire Sather 03-18-2004 07:42 PM

Hell I'd have centre ice this year if Stratford CT didnt suck.

The money was all tucked away.

Chevy Cheveldae 03-18-2004 07:44 PM

Damn - big break for us, i guess scandinavian viewers only :dunno: maybe the same in the rest of Europe

We get like 4-5 NHL games a week and between periods they show NHL2Night - and i just love it :bow:

in the 2nd break they usually show highlights from some other game, which is good - or they show this weeks episode of PowerWeek

i don't know if it's just me - but i like Buccigross and the guys on NHL2night..and i hope our guys over here get another show between the periods

I'm gonna miss it a lot

Renion 03-18-2004 07:45 PM

Bad news :(

I've enjoyed watching Bucci (and, yes, Melrose, or Ferraro, or Pang...) for a long time. Bucci's hangers-on aren't always the best of newscasters, but they all love hockey, so I love hearing from them. I've always thought they were some of the best and most refreshing personalities in the business, but maybe I'll be accused of watching them through puck-colored glasses ;)

This is a sad day for the empire.

xevious 03-18-2004 08:09 PM

NHL2NIGHT is still on? I stopped watching when ESPN stopped the nightly broadcast. It's on, it's not on, too much trouble trying to figure it out.

HughJass* 03-18-2004 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xevious
NHL2NIGHT is still on? I stopped watching when ESPN stopped the nightly broadcast. It's on, it's not on, too much trouble trying to figure it out.

Yeah, that was a headache.

Good riddance, but we have to hope for the best. Us Americans don't get the NHL Network (well, I don't), nor TSN, or RDS. Those who can't invest in Center Ice in the States will miss out a bit. Hopefully these jackasses can hammer out the labor issues so an American network will be attracted to take on the league.

Yes, Viacom and it's channels could really help the game out.

X-SHARKIE 03-18-2004 08:22 PM

I have center ice plus I watch NHL 2nite...the guys are great hosts, and there smart. I enjoy the show very much. This is a shame. BOOOO ESPN BOOO.

On a good note... ESPN say they well cover the first three rounds of the draft this year...but I doubt they'll keep to there word.

Spankatola Jamnuts* 03-18-2004 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
On a good note... ESPN say they well cover the first three rounds of the draft this year....

Must be no cheerleading competitions scheduled that day.

1970 03-18-2004 08:33 PM

NHL2Night sucked which is why it's gone. It's a 30 minute show and they don't even show every goal of each game. They show like 5 seconds of highlights per game. They treated the show with stupid features "mullet awards" and "guess that predator". If they made it into a show like NBA2Night it would survive. They have little guest "experts" to discuss games. They never show player interviews after games and huge lack of highlights.

I'll be honest, i only watched it when nothing else was on tv. When something half decent was on, i'd never watch NHL2Night. It was the dumbest show on TV. And that is the reason it's off tv.

eSabre 03-18-2004 08:39 PM

NHL2NIGHT? GONE?!?

:cry: :cry: :cry:

We need an NHL Channel in the US, and definitely with Bucci as the main guy! :dunno:

Fire Sather 03-18-2004 08:53 PM

Hopefully, somehow the NHL Network comes here.

Clash* 03-18-2004 08:55 PM

As Seven Nation brought up, and I've mentioned months ago in other threads, the NHL needs to move to SpikeTV, the channel for men. They could offer two or three games a week as opposed to showin the same freakin movies over and over again. they also could do a game of the week on UPN and a weekend day game on CBS. only problem with CBS is NFL until January, college football on saturdays until january, and March madness from there. the NHL would only get about a months of regular tv time, but UPN would give them national prime time exposure once or twice a week without cable, much like the WWE gets (amazingly).