HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   sssssshhhhhh...no one's supposed to notice.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=63172)

zurg999 03-18-2004 06:10 PM

sssssshhhhhh...no one's supposed to notice....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...oday&type=lgns

Artyukhin* 03-18-2004 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zurg999

------------------------------------------------------------------------
haha were 22 to 1 to win the stanley cup eh..
looks like were finally getting noticed..lol

Habs just find ways to win

By AL STRACHAN -- Toronto Sun

MONTREAL -- On paper, the Montreal Canadiens don't really scare anyone.

Jose Theodore is a great goalie, but the defence isn't much more than adequate, and the offence is marginal.

The power play ranks 18th in the National Hockey League. The penalty killing is 10th. Again, nothing exceptional.

Yet this team is only three points behind the powerhouse Maple Leafs with all their high-priced stars and veteran talent.

When you watch the two teams go head to head, as they did in the Canadiens' 4-3 victory on Saturday night, you see the difference.

In their own end, the Canadiens are superb.

The Leafs are a pressure team and usually have success forcing turnovers deep in the opponents' territory. But they couldn't do that on Saturday. The Canadiens are too poised.

It's not an accident. After the game, Canadiens coach Claude Julien explained that, before the season, he looked at the 2002-03 stats and noted that the Canadiens had allowed "about 30 or 40" more goals than they scored.

"You can't win too many hockey games that way," he said. That was the first step in a chain of indisputable logic.

The next was to decide that with Theodore in net, the Canadiens didn't really have to worry about the danger of allowing a lot of goals from outside the blue line.

So if they could get the puck out on a regular basis, they'd be in good shape. Eureka!

It's something the Canadiens stress. That, along with good goaltending, Julien said, "is probably the key to our success."

The Canadiens don't run around. They know what they're supposed to do and they do it. They're confident that they can make the right play under pressure -- and they're getting more confident with each game as they continue to have success.

It's not really that complicated. It's just sound positional play and poise.

As soon as a Montreal player gets the puck in his own end, he looks to the right boards where the winger tends to be stationed. If that man is open, the puck is chipped up there.

At the same time, on the far side, the left winger is breaking. A hard cross-ice pass not only gets the attack started, it breaks the trap.

But obviously, there are occasions when that avenue isn't open because the attacking team is covering the boards. So there's a variation that goes up the middle.

And if neither is available, there are two other, less productive but still effective, options. Slam the puck off the glass and down the ice, or flip it out to centre.

It's a matter of priorities. Ideally, the Canadiens like to start an attack. But that takes a back seat to getting the puck over the blue line.

It took awhile to build the discipline of positional play that's required for this. The confidence level was slow to build as well.

But general manager Bob Gainey had a long-range plan and worked closely with Julien. The first segment of the season -- the part leading up to the outdoor Heritage Classic on Nov. 22 -- was designated as a sort of extended training camp. Then came the playoff push.

It didn't start well. A loss in the first game back home pushed the stumbling Canadiens' record to 9-11-1-1, so no one outside the organization took the rhetoric very seriously.

But time have changed. Since then, the Canadiens have quietly built a 29-15-5-2 record and have even beat some of their long-standing nemesis teams like Philadelphia and New Jersey.

For the most part, the lineup hasn't changed. The Canadiens still don't strike fear in anyone's hearts.

They just win.

Habber 03-18-2004 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
By AL STRACHAN -- Toronto Sun

Jose Theodore is a great goalie, but the defence isn't much more than adequate, and the offence is marginal.

The power play ranks 18th in the National Hockey League. The penalty killing is 10th. Again, nothing exceptional.

I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it...Al Strachan is a complete moron.

PP 18th? Try 7th.
PK 10th? How about 25th.

Defence much more than adequate? We are 10th in GAA and are one of the best defensive teams in the league.

Marginal offence? Last I checked we were in the top dozen for goals scored and we have since added Kovalev.

I guess he doesn't have much time to write accurate articles because he spends most of it making up BS to spout on the Hot Stove so he looks like a big shot.

I wish this smug little weasel would just go away.

BLONG7 03-18-2004 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it...Al Strachan is a complete moron.

PP 18th? Try 7th.
PK 10th? How about 25th.

Defence much more than adequate? We are 10th in GAA and are one of the best defensive teams in the league.

Marginal offence? Last I checked we were in the top dozen for goals scored and we have since added Kovalev.

I guess he doesn't have much time to write accurate articles because he spends most of it making up BS to spout on the Hot Stove so he looks like a big shot.

I wish this smug little weasel would just go away.

Strachan is an idiot, I noticed the PP and PK #'s were incorrect also, how does this guy write such foolishness, does he just make these #'s up??? Why yes he does, just ask Brian Burke!!!

Fozz 03-18-2004 07:07 PM

That's just poor journalism... It's so easy to get the proper stats nowadays. :shakehead

#44_delivers 03-18-2004 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
I've said it before and I'll keep on saying it...Al Strachan is a complete moron..

:lol: i dont know i just find it funny as hell

RE-HABS 03-18-2004 08:18 PM

Good quote from the first article:
What the general hockey population might not have noticed is that as of this writing, the Tampa Bay Lightning are the only team in the Eastern Conference with more wins than Montreal. :yo:

AK-47 03-19-2004 07:02 AM

I stopped reading this article when he said the habs were 18th on the powerplay....Geez, you'd think a journalist would check his facts before writing. Oh well, can you really be surprised by any of Toronto's media.

Highlander 03-19-2004 11:45 AM

I really wish the CBC would get this clown off the Satellite (sp?) Hot Stove. It is so apparent that even the other hockey writers and hockey people on the program think he's an idiot. I swore I've seen John Davidson shake his head at Al on more than one occasion, say almost every week.

Doesn't help that the guy has a "X to Toronto because I'm a homer" trade rumour in the paper at least once a week. Well over half of this board could be a better sports writer than this guy..... :shakehead

Karl Pilkington 03-19-2004 12:21 PM

We gotta keep in mind that Strachen is writing it for the TORONTO sun.. most people who read the article won't know too much about the habs, so they won't notice. Strachen knows this so he writes what he wants to sound like a big shot.. how did he get his job? I could probably do a better job than him...

Artie 03-19-2004 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK-47
I stopped reading this article when he said the habs were 18th on the powerplay....Geez, you'd think a journalist would check his facts before writing. Oh well, can you really be surprised by any of Toronto's media.

It's too bad you stopped reading.

IMHO it's a pretty complimentary article on the Habs.