HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Canadians are bad for the game, says this journalist... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=63199)

electric 03-18-2004 08:42 PM

Canadians are bad for the game, says this journalist...

http://www.nj.com/columns/times/yave...3156333560.xml

:dunno:

Toonces 03-18-2004 08:46 PM

Too many drugs?

He admits at least he doesnt even watch Hockey

CHareth 03-18-2004 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electric

Harvey needs to take a writing class. He's got a topic sentence against fighting generally and Canadians' macho influence in particular, but he can't make an argument to save his life. What a terribly written piece.

Chevy Cheveldae 03-18-2004 08:49 PM

It is that Canadian machismo which always has ruled the NHL. There's no fighting in European hockey. None in American collegiate hockey except what Canadians try to bring. None in the Olympics. Just Canada, where it's part of the call of the wild

True

Burke's Evil Spirit 03-18-2004 08:51 PM

His general ideas are spot-on, but yes, he could have been less idiotic and more tactful.

Poignant Discussion 03-18-2004 08:55 PM

Why do you guys even read this kind of bigoted crap. To pick on a certain group of people and to toss sterotypes in, is nothing but "accepted" racism.

And its wrong no matter how you look at it

Kritty 03-18-2004 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy Cheveldae
It is that Canadian machismo which always has ruled the NHL. There's no fighting in European hockey. None in American collegiate hockey except what Canadians try to bring. None in the Olympics. Just Canada, where it's part of the call of the wild

True

So what? Are there only Canadians playing in the NHL and CHL? Obviously not. To blame fighting only on Canadians is down right ignorant. That's such a pile of bs.

evman150* 03-18-2004 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy Cheveldae

True

And which country produces the most players?

And which country's brand of hockey is most popular amongst the fans?

Yep.

evman150* 03-18-2004 08:58 PM

Replace Canadians in the piece with black people or jews.

There's no difference.

The guy's a ****head. Not worth my time.

Chevy Cheveldae 03-18-2004 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evman150
And which country produces the most players?

And which country's brand of hockey is most popular amongst the fans?

Yep.

sure, i can't beat the fact that Canada is the major hockey nation in the world - but you've got to admit they introduced the physical aspect of the game

btw - i like fighting, i'm not against it, it's just become a part of the game

Poignant Discussion 03-18-2004 09:07 PM

Quote:

There's no difference.

You hit the nail right on the head

Marconius 03-18-2004 09:18 PM

I always find it interesting when those who want to eradicate fighting bring up the NFL as an agressive sport that doesn't need fighters to police themselves. They seem to forget that while the body contact is similar, hockey players are given a wooden (nay aluminum or graphite) spear and then effectively have blades strapped to their feet.

I think the NHL dropped the ball with the whole Bertuzzi situation. They should of made it very clear to the media that what Bertuzzi did was not part of the 'honor code' or part of what we believe fighting to be all about. Instead it was simply a gutless cheap shot, just like any other gutless cheapshot in any other sport

Brock 03-18-2004 10:08 PM

I find it so hilarious how all the american writers who don't watch the sport of hockey are calling on its savagery and wishing for its failure because of this one incident, proving only that they have never watched a game.

However (not to generalize to much), but this is coming from a land in which NASCAR (something that garners better ratings then hockey) is cheered for its extreme crashes. I'd be willing to bet my spongebob squarepants boxers that many many more people have died performing in nascar, then they have hockey at the professional level.

kmad 03-18-2004 10:36 PM

Quote:

There's no difference.

do that with Republican literature sometime.. replace Liberal with Jew and tell me it's not hate literature.

s7ark 03-18-2004 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marconius
I always find it interesting when those who want to eradicate fighting bring up the NFL as an agressive sport that doesn't need fighters to police themselves. They seem to forget that while the body contact is similar, hockey players are given a wooden (nay aluminum or graphite) spear and then effectively have blades strapped to their feet.

Not only that, but could a 350 fat-a** go out and be effective on a hockey team? NO, because he couldn't get a 35 second break after every play (which last at the longest 1 minute, and that's if a guy runs the whole length of the field in one play). I don't want to try comparing football to hockey, but in reality it takes a better athlete (note I didn't say more talented player) to play hockey IN GENERAL (not in all cases or positions). Then you factor in the "weapons"...

leafaholix* 03-18-2004 10:50 PM

What a ****.

I think he ran out of ideas to write about.

SmokeyClause 03-18-2004 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmad
do that with Republican literature sometime.. replace Liberal with Jew and tell me it's not hate literature.

Touche, now do it with Democratic literature and you'll have a similar result.

NJD Jester 03-18-2004 11:03 PM

Quote:

Replace Canadians in the piece with jews.

Imagine how strong the Canandian dollar would be then!

ehc73 03-19-2004 12:13 AM

How do these guys keep jobs??? His employer should be ashamed to put out such filth.

HellsBells 03-19-2004 12:17 AM

Tkachuk, Chelios, Hatcher, Weight, Guerin, Roenick.....these are good american boys that do no harm. What an idiot this guy is. I can't believe a paper would publish that crap.

Canadian machismo....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Knucklez 03-19-2004 12:22 AM

Ban Canadians? :joker:

This guys a tool. He calls Canadians neanderthals, and basically uses his medium as an excuse to insult my people. Typical middle-aged, fat American writer who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Finkle is Einhorn 03-19-2004 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock
I find it so hilarious how all the american writers who don't watch the sport of hockey are calling on its savagery and wishing for its failure because of this one incident, proving only that they have never watched a game.

However (not to generalize to much), but this is coming from a land in which NASCAR (something that garners better ratings then hockey) is cheered for its extreme crashes. I'd be willing to bet my spongebob squarepants boxers that many many more people have died performing in nascar, then they have hockey at the professional level.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but this isn't even a comparable sport at this point in time as far as ratings go. Nascar is killing hockey in the States. I think the latest ratings report I heard of said that American curling outdrew the NHL down in the States. CURLING.

The other one they mentioned was that last XFL game drew a 3 share of the market, while hockey was hovering around the 1 mark.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, start taking some teams out of the south and bring them back up north. I have no clue as to why the NHL is sticking with it down south, it can't be for the money.

OK, you can go back to the topic at hand.

c-carp 03-19-2004 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electric

I didnt read the article but I dont think you have to to know that this guy is full of ****. It is Canada's national sport, you cannot have too many canadians in hockey.

kmad 03-19-2004 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Touche, now do it with Democratic literature and you'll have a similar result.

I've never come across democratic literature..

oilers_guy_eddie 03-19-2004 01:35 AM

What I found funniest about the article was the picture of that guy's fat ridiculous looking grill on the top of the page. He obviously needs help from the gang at "Queer Eye for the Fat, Bald, and Stupid Guy."

And some of the hyperbole from American sources is getting insane, like that jackass from USA Today writing that the NHL has "a Kermit Washington-Rudy T incident every other game".

And some the hypocrisy is getting ridiculous as well. Writers who are citing violence as the reason Americans don't like hockey while baseball (with frequent fights and deliberate bean-balls) or auto-racing (with frequent dangerous crashes and occasional death) are hugely popular... just doesn't cut it.