look at this rangers destroyed hockey
ok maybe they didnt complety destroy hockey ,but they are the reason why salaries are soo darn high today.check out the chart of salaries over the last 10 years .notice the rangers stratgey to buy stanley cups every year.it made it so that everyone including poor team had to spend to try to keep up.ironic now they did a complete 360 and i bet there payroll after the great fire sale would rank in the bottom 5 of the leauge.
montreal won the stanley cup in 93 it cost them 10 million...
now that same stanley cup in 2004 on the average will cost 44 million to win...
anyways checkout the link
OMG you mean you actually have to "SPEND" to win a Stanley Cup....wooooow... and let me alert the presses because you, Doug, have actually uncovered the Ranger's mysterious and evil "stratgey" to buy a stanley cup. I bet when Gary Bettman finds out about this those Rangers will be out of the league.
HAHAHAHA they did a "complete 360", well I don't know about you but in my world a 360 gets you right back to where you started. YOU MEAN A 180!!!! JEEZ, if they did a 360 they would still be spending high.
That being said. Putting the fault on the Rangers is not really nice, since the players were slowly asking for more money before that. They kinda accelerate the process, that's all. Interesting stats though. Montreal in 1992-1993 :D
I don't see how this "proves" anything about the Rangers, you'll have to provide better documentation.
Just to remind you of some other teams fiscal responsibility...
1) Blues signing Joe Murphy for $3M per year when elite players made that jack. They also signed both Shanahan and Stevens as RFA's.
2) Dallas signing Lumme, Audette & Turgeon to big money deals in one offseason. Then come back the next year and sign Guerin, Boucher & Young.
3) The Coyotes signing Brian Savage to a 4 year $14M contract, and Tony Amonte to a 4 year $26M contract.
4) The Isles giving RFA's Peca $4M and Yashin $9M which can now be used in arbitration hearing
5) The Blues giving Pronger a $10M per year deal right before Blake was set to sign with LA. Add in the Blues paying Weight $9.5 & Tkachuk $11M per year.
6) The Panthers giving P Bure a $10M contract
7) The Canadians signing Audette, Czerkawski, McKay & Rivet to crazy contracts.
I'm not saying the Rangers don't take some blame in the whole financial debacle. The one thing is that the Rangers CAN afford to pay those salaries, and did operate within the rules. The real issue with the League is that certain teams can afford to pay salary levels that other organizations can't.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.|
vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.