HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   News Article: MacKenzie sees possible move for Poile (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=632290)

darth5 04-16-2009 09:16 PM

MacKenzie sees possible move for Poile

Thinks Minnesota's GM departure might mean he is heading for a Leiopold reunion. Not sure how I feel about it-- might be good for a change, but with inexperienced ownership here, do we want that?

http://tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=275289

worstfaceoffmanever 04-16-2009 09:20 PM

Ownership disagrees.

Quote:

And last summer The Tennessean reported there was a provision in the new ownership’s purchase agreement prohibiting Leipold from having any conversations with Poile “regarding any future employment or offer, directly or indirectly, to Mr. Poile (regarding) any employment opportunity with another NHL franchise other than the Predators.’’

Joe T Choker 04-16-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 19100202)

wow, thats right, I forgot about that provision, that was the reason that Toronto was so hotly mentioned over the summer ... good find wfome

braindead 04-16-2009 10:22 PM

Plus I get the sense that Poile felt as betrayed as the rest of us by Liarpold. He was forced to gut the team that he had spent 6 years building. Add to that, he basically has no boss now with the current ownership group. I can't see him bailing... especially for Liarpold.

Seth Lake 04-16-2009 11:06 PM

Dreger reported on TSN during the 2nd intermission of the Hawks-Flames game that TSN had spoken with Poile by phone and that Poile indicated that he is very flattered that he is being mentioned for the opening, however that he was very happy with his current position in Nashville.

BTW, great game in Chicago heading to OT. I highly suggest tuning in if you have access to a feed.

Seth Lake 04-17-2009 12:43 AM

Minnesota beat writer Michael Russo names Predators assistant GM Paul Fenton and Director of Hockey Ops Michael Santos as people interested in the Minnesota GM position.

Also says that a source tells him that Leipold spoke with Poile today by phone...presumably seeking advice and hopefully not seeking our GM (as he is prohibited by contract to do so...).

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...tml?page=1&c=y

darth5 04-17-2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 19103558)
BTW, great game in Chicago heading to OT. I highly suggest tuning in if you have access to a feed.

+1, I watched the 3rd period of that game and it promises to be a heck of a series. Everyone who wants to watch SC action as it is meant to be should check it out.

Enoch 04-17-2009 08:47 AM

It would be a major blow to lose Fenton. A MAJOR blow. Shero was already a tough loss, but Fenton has actually performed better as the right-hand man.

Seth Lake 04-17-2009 07:28 PM

Poile agrees to one-year extension

Quote:

Predators general manager David Poile said Friday he’s agreed to a new one-year contract through June of 2010.
Quote:

“I’ve been here since day one and to me, it’s a little unfinished business,’’ Poile said. “At different times I’ve felt we were really close, especially a couple years ago and then that went (downhill) with Craig selling the team.

“So the last two years under new ownership, we’ve made a commitment to sign some of our existing players and we’ve drafted real well. It’s my goal and hope that we’re not too far away from being a top team again — getting this thing right, making Nashville a hockey city and winning some playoff rounds, getting a Stanley Cup.’’
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...97/1002/SPORTS

golfmade 04-17-2009 10:06 PM

I'm not as familiar with the business side of hockey, is there any specific reason why Poile didn't sign anything longer than a year or I'm just reading too much into it?

darth5 04-17-2009 10:31 PM

After the ownership change DP said he was only going to go year to year after having to live thru the dismantling of the team. Believe this is in a recent Titanseean article.

sparkle twin 04-18-2009 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 19118859)

Good.

David Poile was on 104 around 3:30 this afternoon to announce the Colin Wilson signing and George Plaster asked him if there were any other contracts to announce, like maybe Poile signing his contract. Poile said no, he didn't think so, just like he had no idea what Plaster was talking about and no one said anything else about it. :laugh:

dulzhok 04-20-2009 01:57 AM

Sobering Poile stat....

It has been over 5 years since he's made a trade that had an obvious positive effect on the team. (Steve Sullivan, Feburary 2004).

The only other "traded-for" player on our current roster is Ryan Jones.

I also agree that losing Fenton would be bad. IMO, Fenton, Shero, and scouts deserve more credit for the Predators drafting record than Poile, ESPECIALLY for picks outside of the first round.

Seth Lake 04-20-2009 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 19167921)
Sobering Poile stat....

It has been over 5 years since he's made a trade that had an obvious positive effect on the team. (Steve Sullivan, Feburary 2004).

The only other "traded-for" player on our current roster is Ryan Jones.

I also agree that losing Fenton would be bad. IMO, Fenton, Shero, and scouts deserve more credit for the Predators drafting record than Poile, ESPECIALLY for picks outside of the first round.

Belak was a player acquired by trade and was a great acquisition for us this season.

braindead 04-20-2009 02:31 AM

I thought Belak was terrible. I'd rather point to free agent signings (Arnott, Dumont, Ward) and re-signings (the core of the team) to defend Poile than point to Belak. Even Bonk and DeVries before Belak...

worstfaceoffmanever 04-20-2009 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 19168094)
Belak was a player acquired by trade and was a great acquisition for us this season.

I agree. Belak isn't a great hockey player, and the impact he made was subtle, but significant. I think he provided our skill guys with a more-than-adequate bodyguard and kept some of our guys from being run. He's one of the best enforcers in the league, and I'm glad we have him on our side. He certainly brings more than Tarnasky did. If it's possible to be of less value to a team than a guy like Smithson, that was it.

I disagree, however, with the notion that he's out there to "protect" Tootoo. Jordin can handle himself out there.

darth5 04-20-2009 12:38 PM

You cannot fairly evaluate a GM only on player trades. You have to include draft picks acquired via trade and which of those assets became team contributors. I am not saying DP is lights out a grand slam GM, but to discount the value of draft picks that become players is not a complete assessment.

jstreet 04-20-2009 02:40 PM

I was no Belak fan, but after he put Brashear on his can I became one quickly.