HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Holmgren: "kind of cavalier attitude where it's like, 'What's the big deal'" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=632496)

GKJ 04-17-2009 07:41 AM

Holmgren: "kind of cavalier attitude where it's like, 'What's the big deal'"

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor...imbalance.html

Quote:

When Paul Holmgren traded Scottie Upshall for Daniel Carcillo on March 4, it didn't seem like that big of a deal. When he earlier waived veteran contributors Glen Metropolit and Ossi Vaananen to make cap room for the return of Daniel Briere, it created even smaller waves. As Holmgren said after practice yesterday, "You can argue that those guys wouldn't be playing now anyway.''

But here's the thing, and there's no getting around it. Since those moves, the Flyers have played 11 games against teams involved in the postseason. Including Wednesday's 4-1 thrashing by the Penguins in Game 1 of their first-round series, the Flyers have lost eight of those games.

"I think we've had a kind of cavalier attitude where it's like, 'What's the big deal, it's only one game,' " he said.

When the Flyers dropped a pair of games to Toronto and Ottawa in the final weeks of the season, Flyers captain Mike Richards said almost precisely that. And when they lost to the Rangers in their last game, blowing a chance for home ice against Pittsburgh, several players noted that this was a team that had shown a knack for winning when it was a big deal.

"Well,'' Holmgren said, "we're at the point now where it is a big deal.''

Because it often doesn't take much to change the potion this time of the year. A goalie hunch. Mixing up the lines, or the defense pairings. Anything that might exorcise that cavalier chemistry that so irks Holmgren, even if it comes from his formula.
Discuss.

HoverCarle* 04-17-2009 07:52 AM

At least he said something. I think the players must really not respect Stevens

IrishSniper87 04-17-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hovercraft (Post 19109349)
At least he said something. I think the players must really not respect Stevens

Agreed, they only play hard when they feel like it, which is why we have flashes of greatness and then 50 mins of playing like ****

Bob Clarke Fan Club 04-17-2009 08:24 AM

I believe this was necessary. Time for some guys to buckle down and start playing 3 periods.

MsWoof 04-17-2009 08:44 AM

At what point is Homer going to admit that he's royally screwed up the cap and team chemistry? Are you seriously telling me that Upshall wouldn't be playing now? As for Vaananen, yeah, he wouldn't be playing because the idiot behind the bench prefers Jones, Alberts, Carle, all of whom are pretty much crappy. Metro was probably not a big factor but Vaananen and Upshall? **** ups by Homer and Stevens.

And I also have to say, why is Holmgren the one always *****ing about the Flyers' play while Stevens seems content with it? The GM shouldn't have to keep jumping in and raking the team over the coals.

ToTheNet 04-17-2009 08:45 AM

If they end up getting swept in the play-offs I expect this team gets blown up.

HoverCarle* 04-17-2009 08:47 AM

Yeah I would love Vaananen right now. Alberts was putrid.

Ditto for Upshall and Carcillo

And Vaananen was cheaper than Alberts so we might have been able to keep Upshall

FlyLife 04-17-2009 08:59 AM

I think this is signaling a coaching change in the offseason honestly. This is what, the 2nd time Holmgren has called out the team publicly in the last couple weeks. He obviously isn't satisfied with how Stevens is motivating the team, especially here in crunch time.

Jester 04-17-2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards (Post 19109943)
I think this is signaling a coaching change in the offseason honestly. This is what, the 2nd time Holmgren has called out the team publicly in the last couple weeks. He obviously isn't satisfied with how Stevens is motivating the team, especially here in crunch time.

I'm not sure I would read that much into it.

FlyLife 04-17-2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 19110085)
I'm not sure I would read that much into it.

Watch, Holmgren will be behind the bench for the next home game :sarcasm:

But really, if we loose this series, I think Stevens is out. Like I said, this is the second time that Holmgren has done this in crunch time, and we looked like absolute crap in Game 1. If we continue playing like that, Stevens better be gone. This team has way too much talent for it to be playing like this, we need a coach who can get the whole team going at once, Stevens has yet to get that done this year.

It might not be "signaling a coaching change," but to me, it screams that Holmgren isn't satisfied with Stevens work right now, the most important time of the year.

Protest 04-17-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNet (Post 19109816)

I don't think thats gonna happen since the whole team has no trade clauses lol.

Cmoneyflyguy 04-17-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woof (Post 19109804)
At what point is Homer going to admit that he's royally screwed up the cap and team chemistry? Are you seriously telling me that Upshall wouldn't be playing now? As for Vaananen, yeah, he wouldn't be playing because the idiot behind the bench prefers Jones, Alberts, Carle, all of whom are pretty much crappy. Metro was probably not a big factor but Vaananen and Upshall? **** ups by Homer and Stevens.

And I also have to say, why is Holmgren the one always *****ing about the Flyers' play while Stevens seems content with it? The GM shouldn't have to keep jumping in and raking the team over the coals.

If this team needs upshall to motivate them to play better, then they are a bunch of babies that deserve to lose.

facts 04-17-2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNet (Post 19109816)

This team gets blown up every year. We aren't winning the cup, they have a core albeit it has too much emphasis on offense and nothing on defence or goaltending.

tytech 04-17-2009 09:37 AM

I think it's part of Richards, Timmonen and Gagne's job to speak to everyone. Gte them going, even if they have to completely bypass Stevens methods and approach.

Instead of giving up and hoping he gets fired, take charge and explain his shortcomings in the offseason.

IrishSniper87 04-17-2009 09:42 AM

If by blow up they mean trade Lupul, Jones, Biron and grab a goalie like Vokoun and bring up JVR and Sbisa, then by all means blow it up.

Protest 04-17-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

This team gets blown up every year. We aren't winning the cup, they have a core albeit it has too much emphasis on offense and nothing on defence or goaltending.
I would say that Coburn, Parent, and Sbisa is a pretty good core for defense, especially when you throw in Timonen for the next couple years. Carle is not a bad dman either, he just needs to be paired with a solid stay at home guy.

IrishSniper87 04-17-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candiria92 (Post 19110436)
I would say that Coburn, Parent, and Sbisa is a pretty good core for defense, especially when you throw in Timonen for the next couple years. Carle is not a bad dman either, he just needs to be paired with a solid stay at home guy.

Coburn-Timonen
Carle-Parent
Sbisa-Alberts

does not bother me much at all

it's the SYSTEM they run and the inconsistent goaltending that sucks

Juicy Couturier* 04-17-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woof (Post 19109804)

OK, seriously, Im tired of hearing about how terrible it was to move Ossi. He was picked up by Vancouver and played just 3 games out of their last 20+ games of the season and averaged just over 9 minutes of ice time a game. If he was so damn good he would find a way to crack Vancouver's oh so great back line. You can say what you want about Upshall but Ossi, come on.

Mo0sE 04-17-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 (Post 19110465)
Coburn-Timonen
Carle-Parent
Sbisa-Alberts

does not bother me much at all

it's the SYSTEM they run and the inconsistent goaltending that sucks

system?.... we have one of those?!

TheDrizzle81 04-17-2009 09:58 AM

a goalie change isnt needed, our defense ****ing sucks.

Upshall > Carcillo

Vaananen > alberts & jones combined

My stool > Stevens coaching style.

Juicy Couturier* 04-17-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 (Post 19110661)
a goalie change isnt needed, our defense ****ing sucks.

Upshall > Carcillo

Vaananen > alberts & jones combined

My stool > Stevens coaching style.

If Vaananen is so good why did he only play 3 of the 20+ games remaining for Vancouver, and play just over 9 minutes a game?

Claude Giroux 04-17-2009 10:11 AM

At least the stool serves a purpose.

The team is not getting blown up, we have a very talented team, and should be more successful with a competent coach.

- New coach
- Better goalie
- Out with reputation players

CantSeeColors 04-17-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom (Post 19110805)
If Vaananen is so good why did he only play 3 of the 20+ games remaining for Vancouver, and play just over 9 minutes a game?

Vancouver has a pretty solid defense. Why throw in a new guy when they already have decent players who know the system?

Yukon Cornelius 04-17-2009 10:24 AM

Last night a bunch of coworkers of mine (and keep in mind, we are all overpaid film technicians) were shooting the **** and I asked, "If you won the lotto tomorrow, would I see you at work on Monday?" 2 guys out of nine said yes.

What motivates a man in his mid-Twenties when he's already been given the keys to the kingdom. I hope hoisting Lord Stanley still means what it used to.

sa cyred 04-17-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom (Post 19110805)

If Alberts was so good, why was he scratched/wanted to leave Boston?