HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Last Stanley Cup winner with a less than amazing goalie? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=63330)

Lambert Closse 03-19-2004 11:12 AM

Last Stanley Cup winner with a less than amazing goalie?

Does anyone remember a Stanley Cup winner ou finalist with a less than spectacular goalie? IMO this year a few teams are going in the playoffs with a just above average goalie.

Is Philly going to use Esche or Burke?
Aebischer made some great saves yesterday against Ottawa but lost the game.
Toronto's Belfour isn't at his best and Kidd is far from a great goalie.
I haven't seen a lot of Cloutier or Lalime but from what I heard there not having great sesson either. They might rebound in the playoffs.

What do you think?

SumOfUs 03-19-2004 11:13 AM

Detroit red Wings with Chris Osgood.

Frenzy1 03-19-2004 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambert Closse
Does anyone remember a Stanley Cup winner ou finalist with a less than spectacular goalie? IMO this year a few teams are going in the playoffs with a just above average goalie.

I haven't seen a lot of Cloutier or Lalime but from what I heard there not having great sesson either. They might rebound in the playoffs.

What do you think?

There is a big difference between being less then spectacular and being a solid goal tender. IMO, the most important part of playing goalie in the playoffs is make the timely save. It is about momentum more then anything else.

Joseph had pretty decent stats last post season, but was unable to get that one key save.

Verbal Kint* 03-19-2004 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumOfUs

Took the words straight out of my mouth.

Savage 03-19-2004 11:21 AM

Quote:

What do you think?

Chris Osgood...

Nice to know people still buy into every idiotic thing that the media says... (Rollseyes)

If you're talking about his performance on ice try looking at his satistics over the last 10 games he's played.

If you're talking about health, it was a muscle pull on the right side that kept him out. He's normal injury that often happens is on the left side and just a little background information... Belfour won his stanley cup in Dallas well playing through the left side pull.

loveshack2 03-19-2004 11:28 AM

Actually maybe some 'Nucks fans can confirm but I was under the impression that Cloutier was having a pretty good season this year.

tytech 03-19-2004 11:36 AM

Quote:

What do you think?

Philly will be going with Esche for sure. Burke might see Saturday's New York game and one, maybe two more, but Esche will be in it for the run.

Winners
Osgood was an ok goalie on an amazing team.
Roy in 86 was a no-one at the time
Vernon for Calgary was a little overrated.
Barrasso was an ok goalie on an amazing team.

Finalists
Vanbiesbrouk
Snow/Rousell/Hextall 97
Irbe
Giguere
Who was in net for Vancouver in 94? The fact that I can't name him proves it.
Minnesota NS Goalie in 91 (I believe)
Rhudy/Hrudy

Dr Love 03-19-2004 11:37 AM

Quote:

Last thing first... Esche.

First thing last... you also said finalists... Irbe, Hextall/Snow.

SumOfUs 03-19-2004 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
Last thing first... Esche.

First thing last... you also said finalists... Irbe, Hextall/Snow.

Are you kidding me? Irbe was terrific when he brought the Canes to the final. And even so, the goaltending duties were shared evenly.

Dr Love 03-19-2004 11:43 AM

Quote:

Are you kidding me? Irbe was terrific when he brought the Canes to the final. And even so, the goaltending duties were shared evenly.

The question was asked if any less than spectacular goalies reached the Finals recently. That Irbe wasn't the #1 for every game in the playoffs for the Canes, I would not put him in that category. Spectacular goalies don't ride the pine.

Snugglepuss 03-19-2004 11:48 AM

For a winner, Osgood.

For a finalist, Irbe.

ExplosiveLEAFman 03-19-2004 12:15 PM

I believe it was Kirk Mclean for Vancouver and if I remember correctly he had an incredible series against Ny.

Vlad The Impaler 03-19-2004 12:44 PM

Quote:

Immediately after reading the title of this thread, the word "Osgood" came straight to my mind as well :p

X8oD 03-19-2004 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Immediately after reading the title of this thread, the word "Osgood" came straight to my mind as well :p

Chris Osgood, 300 wins in his NHL career, yet still some fringe wings fans still think he is a top 5 goalie and those wins had nothing to do with the system he played behind.

Motown Beatdown 03-19-2004 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler

And i thought of Mike Vernon in 1997 too. After all he had a better team than Osgood

looooob 03-19-2004 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tytech
Philly will be going with Esche for sure. Burke might see Saturday's New York game and one, maybe two more, but Esche will be in it for the run.

Winners
Osgood was an ok goalie on an amazing team.
Roy in 86 was a no-one at the time
Vernon for Calgary was a little overrated.
Barrasso was an ok goalie on an amazing team.

I'll take issue with the Vernon one. I'll agree that there were times in his career when Vernon was over-rated, but he was VERY good in 89...especially through the playoffs, and he did ok in the finals against a guy called Roy

looooob 03-19-2004 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWI19
And i thought of Mike Vernon in 1997 too. After all he had a better team than Osgood

true. but he did win the Conn Smythe trophy, no?

I think Vernon is actually getting a tough ride on this thread. I was never a huge fan of the guy....but he did provide solid above average if not spectacular goaltending in both 89 and 97

Motown Beatdown 03-19-2004 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looooob
true. but he did win the Conn Smythe trophy, no?

I think Vernon is actually getting a tough ride on this thread. I was never a huge fan of the guy....but he did provide solid above average if not spectacular goaltending in both 89 and 97

Yes he did, Everyone and their brother say the Wings won despite Osgood. Well if thats the case, it's the same can be said for Vernon. Because Mike Vernon had the better of those two teams playing infront of him

GKJ 03-19-2004 01:06 PM

Quote:

Snow/Rousell/Hextall 97

Rousell never saw the ice in 97

Kirk McLean for Vancouver in '94

Jon Casey for Minnesota in '91, a team that had actually finished below .500

looooob 03-19-2004 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWI19
Yes he did, Everyone and their brother say the Wings won despite Osgood. Well if thats the case, it's the same can be said for Vernon. Because Mike Vernon had the better of those two teams playing infront of him

I sort of see what you are saying, but not entirely...it's possible for a team to be so good to win one year without great goaltending, but that same team could win a different year with great goaltending....couldn't they?

kyle 03-19-2004 01:11 PM

Quote:

Finalists
Vanbiesbrouk
Snow/Rousell/Hextall 97
Irbe
Giguere
Rhudy/Hrudy

That's funny.. he threatened an 80 year old shutout streak record and he is considered to have been a "less than amazing goalie" during that stretch? Cripes! What did he need to do?