HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Quick goalie stick question... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=634388)

sousuffer 04-21-2009 09:17 AM

Quick goalie stick question...

I have been using the sherwood wooden goalie sticks for about 15 years now. I like them and have had no problems with them. However, I was in a hockey shop, and the composite sticks are unbelievably light. However, obviously, they are also well over $100 to purchase whereas the wooden ones are about $50. My question is, do these sticks last longer? I figure if I'm going to splurge $150 for a stick, perhaps if it lasts twice or 3 times as long, then it is worth it. Does anyone know how long they generally last compared with their wooden counterparts? I know it depends on the abuse they take, but generally speaking. Thanks.

iceman_88888888 04-21-2009 04:22 PM

our goalie had a few composite sticks that broke on him maybe a month and a half into using it. he's probably gone thru 4 of them this season (so about 4 in 8 months). the other goalie that comes to our drop in games has had the same wood stick for almost a year and he plays with it during his team games and our games.
the level of competition is about the same for both goalies and each face about the same amount of shots. for the money, it seems like going for the old fashioned wood sticks with the slight bit of extra weight is the way to go.

densetsu 04-21-2009 06:41 PM

The composites do *not* last longer, in most cases their life span is actually significantly shorter.

If you're still using solid wood sticks, I'd suggest trying a foam-core stick like the Sherwood 5030 or 9950. I love the 5030 and have heard nothing but good things about the 9950 as well. They're not as light as composites, but are lighter than solid wood sticks.

DevsFan84 04-21-2009 07:49 PM

Save your money, they aren't worth it.

sousuffer 04-21-2009 09:21 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll take your advice, densetsu.

Harv 04-21-2009 11:09 PM

Don't waste your money. I bought one and the shaft broke. Yes, the shaft. That was the last time I'll ever buy them.

I use Montreal 9000s. I was lucky enough to get a 3 pack before the Warrior take over. But once I go through them, (honestly it's going to take years) I'll pick up some Warriors.

Giroux tha Damaja 04-22-2009 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harv (Post 19211740)
Don't waste your money. I bought one and the shaft broke. Yes, the shaft. That was the last time I'll ever buy them.

I use Montreal 9000s. I was lucky enough to get a 3 pack before the Warrior take over. But once I go through them, (honestly it's going to take years) I'll pick up some Warriors.

This.

I have been using the same Montreal 9000 with the Esche curve for a while now with no problems. I have a Nike Baeur One75 before that and it sucked. I didn't like how it felt at all, though it was def. lighter.