HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   I'm right-handed, should I use a left-handed stick? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=634859)

Jake5 04-22-2009 10:54 AM

I'm right-handed, should I use a left-handed stick?

Hey guys, I just bought my first stick and started playing about a week ago. So far, I'm just practicing shooting/stick handling/passing. My stick is RH (left hand on top of the stick). I didn't really know which kind of stick to buy, but I tried a few out in the store and the RH sticks seemed more comfortable for stick-handling. However, I tried out a LH stick yesterday and I found slap shots to be MUCH easier, however stick handling was a bit more difficult. Overall, I'm much more comfortable with a RH stick, but I've heard that right-handed people are technically supposed to use LH sticks.

Should I go with the stick that's more comfortable (RH), or should I just try to get used to an LH stick, which may possibly benefit me in the long run?

:help:

94now 04-22-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake5 (Post 19217642)
Hey guys, I just bought my first stick and started playing about a week ago. So far, I'm just practicing shooting/stick handling/passing. My stick is RH (left hand on top of the stick). I didn't really know which kind of stick to buy, but I tried a few out in the store and the RH sticks seemed more comfortable for stick-handling. However, I tried out a LH stick yesterday and I found slap shots to be MUCH easier, however stick handling was a bit more difficult. Overall, I'm much more comfortable with a RH stick, but I've heard that right-handed people are technically supposed to use LH sticks.

Should I go with the stick that's more comfortable (RH), or should I just try to get used to an LH stick, which may possibly benefit me in the long run?

:help:

Whatever is comfy with you. Strong hand on top-better stickhandling and slap shot. Strong hand on the bottom - better wrist shot.

Gunnar Stahl 30 04-22-2009 11:21 AM

when you grab a stick and try and shoot with it, one way should feel more comfortable than the other. go with that way. its not really a decision at this point unless you want to retrain your self how to do it

Giroux tha Damaja 04-22-2009 11:26 AM

The reason people are supposed to use lefty sticks if they're right handed is for all the situations that you're playing with one hand on your stick, you would like it to be your stronger hand. Also the top hand is where a lot of the wrist shot comes from.

I would say just do whatever you feel comfortable with. Fwiw if it makes a difference in your decision, pro shops near me ALWAYS have left sticks discounted because they are overstocked, so I don't know if that holds true in your area, but if you learn to use that lefty stick you might save yourself some cash over the long run, maybe even enough to upgrade some of your other purchases maybe...

Arastiroth 04-22-2009 11:47 AM

I'm right handed and went as a lefty for hockey. I personally liked it that way, although it felt a little odd at first. As stated, I had a lot more power/control when holding the stick with one hand (since you always hold it with your top hand) and I think it benefited my shot power. Even though I was always younger than everyone I played with, I probably had the hardest shot by the time I was 16 and definitely by the time I was 18. It was also nice for picking out sticks -- left handed sticks were always on sale where I grew up -- and it felt a little more unique being left handed when almost everyone plays right handed.

That said, I don't have a lot of knowledge about this so I can't tell you if my personal experiences were normal or not.