HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Barry Melrose -- What is his problem? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=63511)

swflyers8* 03-19-2004 11:38 PM

Barry Melrose -- What is his problem?

Again, the mullet man refuses to believe what Flyer fans having been saying for weeks now:

E-mail bag

Hey, Barry:
When will you learn that Sean Burke should NOT be the starting goaltender for the Philadelphia Flyers going into the playoffs. Robert Esche been better than Burke since Burke joined the Flyers. Please, for the sake of all the Flyers fans and players, stop saying Burke is our guy because everyone in Philly knows he is not.
-- Anthony, Philadelphia

I think Burke is the guy, Anthony. The Flyers got him specifically to be the goaltender in the playoffs because he is a veteran guy with plenty of experience. Philadelphia will likely start him to begin the playoff because it will be much easier to replace Burke if he struggles than to pull Esche after sitting down the goalie who came over at the trade deadline. That would hurt Esche's psyche and he would likely be lost for the playoffs if he struggled that badly, so playing a backup role lessens the pressure and allows Esche to be loose. And let's not forget that Burke is a pretty good goaltender, too.

No, we got Burke to back up Esche. Hackett couldn't do it. Burke is Robert's friend and Burke himself has said that Robert is the starter. They needed a vet to backup Robert. Same thing goes in Colorado, why isn't idiot boy saying Salo is the starter out there? Does he not see that Esche is the one winning the big games?
Then, last night, it said on the screen during NHL tonight or the game: Does Philly have a goaltending controversy? I said only according to you idiots we do. God, this is getting annoying. Melrose was annoying to begin with, but this is making a lot of people mad.

:madfire:

Someone should flood him with e-mails telling this clown who the guy is in Philly.

Toonces 03-20-2004 12:04 AM

What I find laughable is that Gary Thorne and Bill Clement who were calling the game last night both KNOW that Escher is the starter.

Perhaps Barry is trying not to lose a bet or something...

blah 03-20-2004 12:10 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/teamsched?team=phi
lol Burke is the starter.

Brad* 03-20-2004 01:14 AM

What is his problem? Well, for starters, he's a moron.

GKJ 03-20-2004 02:34 AM

This would be my personal response to Melrose:

"Barry, since Esche came back, Sean Burke has played 3 games; 2 were Washington and Pittsburgh, 0-2-1 in all 3 games. Esche has played Dallas, Nashville, Toronto, Ottawa and New Jersey twice. 4-1-1. Please tell me why if Burke is starting he's playing the bad teams and Esche gets 3 teams we'll could play in the playoffs.

The Seeker 25 03-20-2004 08:58 AM

A guy promotes the mullet and someone has to ask what's wrong with him? ;)

Dr Love 03-20-2004 09:06 AM

LOL!!! I'm so glad that someone emailed Barry about that. Last week he went on and on about Burke, and the video they had running? Robert Esche. Kudos Barry, I'll be sending you an email too.

Brad* 03-20-2004 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSeeker
A guy promotes the mullet and someone has to ask what's wrong with him? ;)

Hey, lay off. Chicks DIG the mullet!

GKJ 03-20-2004 05:48 PM

i sent an email to him:

Barry PLEASE for your own sake STOP saying Burke is the guy for the Flyers in the playoffs. You're the only one who beleive this. Take a look around at the Flyers team, fans and media publications and you will see Esche is the guy. Why else would Esche okay against New Jersey twice, Ottawa, Dallas and Nashville while Burke plays against left overs like Washington and Pittsburgh. If Burke was the guy, then the Coyotes wouldn't have had to give up Radivojevic and Ben Eager too. Please just say Esche will be the goalie, because he is. The reputation you save could be yours.

MiamiScreamingEagles 03-20-2004 08:31 PM

How about Steve Levy asking Mark Recchi "Why is this team a .500 team since Valentine's Day (or something to that effect)?"

kherninko 03-21-2004 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
i sent an email to him:

Barry PLEASE for your own sake STOP saying Burke is the guy for the Flyers in the playoffs. You're the only one who beleive this. Take a look around at the Flyers team, fans and media publications and you will see Esche is the guy. Why else would Esche okay against New Jersey twice, Ottawa, Dallas and Nashville while Burke plays against left overs like Washington and Pittsburgh. If Burke was the guy, then the Coyotes wouldn't have had to give up Radivojevic and Ben Eager too. Please just say Esche will be the goalie, because he is. The reputation you save could be yours.

I wonder if Clarkie has bribed him to keep telling people this so other teams scout Burke for the playoffs instead of Esche? I don't know, it seems like Barry is on another planet. Esche is the best young goalie this side of Boston. He's consistant which is more than we can say for most goalies since Boucher.

Rails 03-21-2004 08:14 PM

Maybe Melrose can't read numbers. Afterall, Burke and Esche are only one number apart on the Jersey Number thing.

Toonces 03-22-2004 08:22 AM

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...ey/8246254.htm

Thank John Flyers Fan for the link. Scroll to the bottom and read what Hitch has to say about it.

Chico is going to start, everybody knows it...

donelikedinner 03-22-2004 08:40 AM

maybe melrose is hoping he can predict himself into another coaching job. unfortunately for him, if he really could make accurate predictions he would see a future where he ends up selling used game day programs on the street.

sinisalo 03-22-2004 10:33 AM

I've been saying it all along....Hitchcock will start Burke in the playoffs.

Esche SHOULD be the starter the rest of the way and the playoffs, but I don't think it will happen. Burke will get the start, when he falters (which WILL happen) Hitchcock will switch back to Esche. But it may be too late by then. Hope I am wrong, but Melrose is probably right.

Dr Love 03-22-2004 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinisalo

Esche SHOULD be the starter the rest of the way and the playoffs, but I don't think it will happen. Burke will get the start, when he falters (which WILL happen) Hitchcock will switch back to Esche. But it may be too late by then. Hope I am wrong, but Melrose is probably right.

Put down the gut feeling. Pick up reason. Since Esche has returned, he's faced Boston, Nashville, Ottawa, New Jersey twice, Dallas, Toronto, and Rangers. All but the Rangers being playoff teams. He's gone 5-1-1-1. Burke has faced Detroit (2nd game after Esche's return), Washington and Pittsburgh. He's gone 0-2-1-0. So since Esche has been back full time, he's played all the playoff teams; while Burke has played the Capitals and the Penguins, and didn't beat either of them. It is clear as day that Esche is the starter.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 03-22-2004 10:53 AM

Quote:

The ONLY way you'll see Burke is out of desperation....escher has been far too good this season. I'm not 100% sold on him yet but I feel much better going in with him the starter than Burke. We're solid between the pipes for the first time in quite a while despite what the mullet thinks. Can you guys believe there are actually Jacket's fans that want this tool as their head coach next year? :joker:

capn89* 03-22-2004 11:24 AM

Fact: If Hitchcock starts Burke in the playoffs (and Esche is healthy and still playing great) I will officially jump ship and abandon Flyer Fandom. Hitch would have to be smoking some seriously bad crack if he made a decision like that.

daynus 03-22-2004 10:20 PM

Melrose oh my god

Quote:

please don't ask what province that pylon is from. don't look where i am from.

FlyHigh 03-23-2004 07:46 AM

“Barry’s not coaching this team,” said Hitchcock. “I don’t really care what he thinks.”

my hero...