HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gainey's Post-Mortem - Thursday at 4:00PM( ALL GAINEY TALK HERE) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=635157)

Whitesnake 04-22-2009 10:24 PM

Gainey's Post-Mortem - Thursday at 4:00PM( ALL GAINEY TALK HERE)
 
Just confirmed by Michel Villeneuve on La Zone.

PyrettaBlaze* 04-22-2009 10:31 PM

Thanks WS! I wonder if he'll shed some light on injuries and whatnot.

Whitesnake 04-23-2009 12:09 AM

On RIS, it says that the press conference will be at 1:30PM. Stay tuned boys 'cause one says 1:30, the other ays 4:00....

Can a mod chance the title, 'cause it really seems to be 1:30PM. It will be on RIS.

Whitesnake 04-23-2009 06:03 AM

Okay so here's what it is:

The press conference is really at 4:00PM. But RIS will start showing stuff from Brossard from 1:30PM where at that time you'll hear from the players who will be picking their stuff.

So on RIS:

1:30 Players talk
4:00 Gainey's press conference

Habs 4 Life 04-23-2009 07:27 AM

Press Conference will be at 4pm today

Jee 04-23-2009 07:34 AM

god I'm scared.

kostitsyn1489 04-23-2009 07:42 AM

Can I listen to CKAC in Ontario? I'll be on the road all afternoon. AM or FM i dont really care.

windycity 04-23-2009 07:52 AM

I hope he reams the classless fans some more - those idiots need to understand that they're helping destroy the club. What FA in his right mind would want to play here ot stay here?

Newhabfan 04-23-2009 08:28 AM

Qeustion - is it common to have a post mortem the day after the elimination ? Cause the speculation goes he hurried it so that there might be other important announcements (going from team being sold to simply the name of the new coach).

mabus 04-23-2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 (Post 19236789)
Can I listen to CKAC in Ontario? I'll be on the road all afternoon. AM or FM i dont really care.

Long as you have an internet connection --> http://www.corussports.com/audio.php

LeMAD 04-23-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newhabfan (Post 19237150)
Qeustion - is it common to have a post mortem the day after the elimination ? Cause the speculation goes he hurried it so that there might be other important announcements (going from team being sold to simply the name of the new coach).

No it's not common, and I don't see him naming a new coach one day after elimination. And of course he wouldn't be the one giving the pc I the team was sold.

Resignation is an option...

Seguins Dragon* 04-23-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMAD (Post 19237976)
No it's not common, and I don't see him naming a new coach one day after elimination. And of course he wouldn't be the one giving the pc I the team was sold.

Resignation is an option...

you make a good point... thought I don't think Bob is to blame and the guy is a class act all the way...

But with all the UFA's and all the other changes that needs to be made, realistically if he did step down, it would be better to do it now so whoeever steps in can do what they want with the team

mabus 04-23-2009 09:41 AM

are we sure about the 4:00 time? Team990 just said "the press conference" was at 1:30. I'm assuming it was just a slip of the tongue but just to be safe .... Can we get a solid confirmation from a second source?

Top Corner2 04-23-2009 10:39 AM

Gaineys 5 Year Plan -has It Failed?
 
All I'm hearing lately is about how we are no better off as an organization as we were 5 years ago. Personally I find this to be untrue.

I believe Gainey has strengthened the organization by consistently bringing in young players, preserving and acquiring prospects (via draft & free agency) and also by treating all players fairly thus making Montreal a more attractive destination for potential free agents (as demonstrated by his handling of Kovalev & Begin this year to name a few).

Here is the roster at the end of Gaineys 1st year of work. Gainey added Dowd and Kovalev....and gave Komisarek a more prominant role. With a few exceptions it is pretty much a team of castaways with very little room for improvement.

Please someone explain how the state of our organization is not better off now than it was back then. Don't you remember how bad we were for so many years...when Eric Landry & Bashkirov would excite us. Gainey has probably made some decisions he regrets but anybody saying we have taken a step back is acting like a spoiled baby. Building a good team takes time & patience.....there will always be bumps & bruises along the way.


2003-04 roster:


# NAME POS HT WT DOB PLACE OF BIRTH
30 Mathieu Garon G 6-2 199 1/9/78 Chandler, PQ
60 Jose Theodore G 5-11 179 9/13/76 Laval, PQ

51 Francis Bouillon D 5-8 194 10/17/75 New York, NY
43 Patrice Brisebois D 6-2 203 1/27/71 Montreal, PQ
28 Karl Dykhuis D 6-3 209 7/8/72 Sept-Iles, PQ
8 Mike Komisarek D 6-4 240 1/19/82 West Islip, NY
79 Andrei Markov D 6-0 198 12/20/78 Voskresensk, USSR
5 Stephane Quintal D 6-3 231 10/22/68 Boucherville, PQ
52 Craig Rivet D 6-2 207 9/13/74 North Bay, ON
44 Sheldon Souray D 6-4 223 7/13/76 Elk Point, AB

26 Pierre Dagenais LW 6-5 215 3/3/78 Blainville, PQ
15 Darren Langdon LW 6-1 205 1/8/71 Deer Lake, NF
71 Mike Ribeiro LW 6-1 176 2/10/80 Montreal, PQ

22 Steve Begin C 5-11 190 6/14/78 Trois-Rivieres, PQ
38 Jan Bulis C 6-2 201 3/18/78 Pardubice, Czechoslovakia
34 Jim Dowd C 6-1 190 12/25/68 Brick, NJ
90 Joe Juneau C 6-0 190 1/5/68 Pont-Rouge, PQ
11 Saku Koivu C 5-10 181 11/23/74 Turku, Finland
94 Yanic Perreault C 5-11 185 4/4/71 Sherbrooke, PQ

24 Andreas Dackell RW 5-11 194 12/29/72 Gavle, Sweden
27 Alexei Kovalev RW 6-1 220 2/24/73 Togliatti, USSR
73 Michael Ryder RW 6-0 196 3/31/80 St. John's, NF
37 Niklas Sundstrom RW 6-0 195 6/6/75 Ornskoldsvik, Sweden
17 Jason Ward RW 6-3 197 1/16/79 Chapleau, ON
20 Richard Zednik RW 6-0 200 1/6/76 Bystrica, Czechoslovakia

Gary320 04-23-2009 10:44 AM

The sad thing is, many are going to be biased with their opinion because of the season we had and they will judge Gainey on his coacing too.

In my opinion, he did very well.. we are going in the right direction.. back than, we were hoping we could make the playoffs, the past 2/3 years we've been hoping we can finish high.. thats a step up in my opinion..

emb24* 04-23-2009 10:46 AM

So if Gainey Steps Down...
 
who the hell takes over the continuity of the hockey operations?

with critical UFA's set to walk, players who like and trust gainey - some of who were traded for or developed on his watch...
what happens?


gillette and boivin can't let this happen right now. find a new coach yes, but to flush gainey at this juncture is a nightmare.

Goldthorpe 04-23-2009 10:50 AM

I don't see Gainey stepping down before the habs ownership situation is finally resolved. The new owner will most certainly want to put his own man as a GM, so it doesn't make any sense for Gilette to bring a new guy just to handle the off-season.

emb24* 04-23-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldthorpe (Post 19239016)
I don't see Gainey stepping down before the habs ownership situation is finally resolved. The new owner will most certainly want to put his own man as a GM, so it doesn't make any sense for Gilette to bring a new guy just to handle the off-season.

what's with the assumption of new ownership? Gillette made it clear he wants a minority partner

Habs 4 Life 04-23-2009 10:52 AM

All Gainey Talk Here Please
 
Thank You

TheCH* 04-23-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Corner2 (Post 19238858)
All I'm hearing lately is about how we are no better off as an organization as we were 5 years ago. Personally I find this to be untrue.

I believe Gainey has strengthened the organization by consistently bringing in young players, preserving and acquiring prospects (via draft & free agency) and also by treating all players fairly thus making Montreal a more attractive destination for potential free agents (as demonstrated by his handling of Kovalev & Begin this year to name a few).

Here is the roster at the end of Gaineys 1st year of work. Gainey added Dowd and Kovalev....and gave Komisarek a more prominant role. With a few exceptions it is pretty much a team of castaways with very little room for improvement.

Please someone explain how the state of our organization is not better off now than it was back then. Don't you remember how bad we were for so many years...when Eric Landry & Bashkirov would excite us. Gainey has probably made some decisions he regrets but anybody saying we have taken a step back is acting like a spoiled baby. Building a good team takes time & patience.....there will always be bumps & bruises along the way.


2003-04 roster:


# NAME POS HT WT DOB PLACE OF BIRTH
30 Mathieu Garon G 6-2 199 1/9/78 Chandler, PQ
60 Jose Theodore G 5-11 179 9/13/76 Laval, PQ

51 Francis Bouillon D 5-8 194 10/17/75 New York, NY
43 Patrice Brisebois D 6-2 203 1/27/71 Montreal, PQ
28 Karl Dykhuis D 6-3 209 7/8/72 Sept-Iles, PQ
8 Mike Komisarek D 6-4 240 1/19/82 West Islip, NY
79 Andrei Markov D 6-0 198 12/20/78 Voskresensk, USSR
5 Stephane Quintal D 6-3 231 10/22/68 Boucherville, PQ
52 Craig Rivet D 6-2 207 9/13/74 North Bay, ON
44 Sheldon Souray D 6-4 223 7/13/76 Elk Point, AB

26 Pierre Dagenais LW 6-5 215 3/3/78 Blainville, PQ
15 Darren Langdon LW 6-1 205 1/8/71 Deer Lake, NF
71 Mike Ribeiro LW 6-1 176 2/10/80 Montreal, PQ

22 Steve Begin C 5-11 190 6/14/78 Trois-Rivieres, PQ
38 Jan Bulis C 6-2 201 3/18/78 Pardubice, Czechoslovakia
34 Jim Dowd C 6-1 190 12/25/68 Brick, NJ
90 Joe Juneau C 6-0 190 1/5/68 Pont-Rouge, PQ
11 Saku Koivu C 5-10 181 11/23/74 Turku, Finland
94 Yanic Perreault C 5-11 185 4/4/71 Sherbrooke, PQ

24 Andreas Dackell RW 5-11 194 12/29/72 Gavle, Sweden
27 Alexei Kovalev RW 6-1 220 2/24/73 Togliatti, USSR
73 Michael Ryder RW 6-0 196 3/31/80 St. John's, NF
37 Niklas Sundstrom RW 6-0 195 6/6/75 Ornskoldsvik, Sweden
17 Jason Ward RW 6-3 197 1/16/79 Chapleau, ON
20 Richard Zednik RW 6-0 200 1/6/76 Bystrica, Czechoslovakia


Unless the plan was to have a medicore team in 5 years then yes it has obviously failed.

Forget looking at the team on paper, the games are played on the ice.The team as it was on the ice that Gainey took over was better then this years edition and made it to the second round of the playoffs knocking off none other then the ruins. This team didn't do that and this team will be even worse next year with the mess of UFA's. Our shot was last year and Gainey made his team worse at the deadline by rolling the dice and going with Price, which proved to be to much to soon for the kid.

smon 04-23-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emb24 (Post 19238968)
who the hell takes over the continuity of the hockey operations?

with critical UFA's set to walk, players who like and trust gainey - some of who were traded for or developed on his watch...
what happens?


gillette and boivin can't let this happen right now. find a new coach yes, but to flush gainey at this juncture is a nightmare.

I honestly don't think that Bob Gainey would ever leave an organization in the lurch like that. It's a situation that he created and he must have some plan for how to deal with it.

On the other hand of the argument, Gainey could say that he is leaving his successor a clean slate, but that can only effectively happen if they already have a replacement lined up. Which I very highly doubt.

Jigger77 04-23-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 (Post 19236789)
Can I listen to CKAC in Ontario? I'll be on the road all afternoon. AM or FM i dont really care.

Depends where you are. You can catch it on your car radio up to almost Ottawa if not in Ottawa.

Magic33 04-23-2009 11:00 AM

Damn im going to be at work. I really wanted to see it. Can someone maybe record it and post or something? Or do you think i'll be able to watch it later on tonight?

Capitano 04-23-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldthorpe (Post 19239016)
I don't see Gainey stepping down before the habs ownership situation is finally resolved. The new owner will most certainly want to put his own man as a GM, so it doesn't make any sense for Gilette to bring a new guy just to handle the off-season.

Agreed - Gainey isn't going anywhere until the ownership situation is straightened out so his press conference will be pretty much nothing we haven't already heard - injuries, distractions, bla bla bla. We might hear about some details regarding injuries though.

What I mean is, he won't step down, he won't be fired, nothing monumental today anyway.

Give it a month though, lol.

Team_Spirit 04-23-2009 11:03 AM

Bob did alright as a GM, sadly the key additions went down to injuries as well as key players already in place. Add to that the massive struggles of the young core and you have an explosive situation.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.