HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   This season was a fluke. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=635247)

MontrealHabitant 04-23-2009 03:48 AM

This season was a fluke.

It is currently 4am and i'm still up and thinking about this awful season we had.

What if this season wasn't a bad season but just an unlucky one ?
Personally after all our team went through, im actually surprised we managed to be in the playoff. I don't think once this season we catched a break, i don't even think we ever had a full healthy looking lineup this season.

I keep seeing posters from other fan bases saying we shouldn't use injuries for excuses. When was the last time some NHL team got into the playoff missing its Norris-Worthy D-Man, the starting goalie and pretty much 50 % of its top 6 forwards and Defense during the season ?

Kovalev missed 4 games
Markov missed 4 games + playoff
Koivu missed 17 games
A.Kost missed 8 games
Tanguay missed 32 games + playoff.
Lang missed 32 games + Playoff
Schneider (17 pts in 22 games) missed a few games and the playoff.
Latendresse ( 14 goals in 56 games) missed 26 games.
Higgins missed 25 games.
S.Kost missed ~ 10 games + playoff
Laraque missed over 50 games.
Komisarek missed 16 games.
Bouillon missed 36 games + playoff
Price missed 15 ~ games ( and thats when he was playing good, 2.20 avg, 920+ pct save)

Personally, i wanted to play the Boston Bruins and if it was to be done again, i'd still choose to play them again, but with a full line up that is.

I never was once impressed by the Bruins, during the season they had lucky OT breaks to win games against us when we were missing key pieces, and during the playoff we were missing pretty much 20 millions (if not more) of our entire team salary.

Yet we still made them look silly quite a few times.

The reality is, we never had the chance to see that 2008-2009 line up

Kovalev-Koivu-Tanguay
A.Kost-Plekanec-Higgins
S.Kost-Lang-D'Agostini
Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos.

Markov-Schneider
Hamrlik-Komisarek
Gorges-Bouillon

This team is deep enough to have two players with 14 goals on the 4th line.

And the D ? Markov is Norris Worthy, Schneider produced at a 63 pts pace for an entire season in the 22 games that he played with us. Komisarek had a bad year, injuries and all screwed him up, he's still an amazing D when healthy and playing properly.

Hamrlik is under-appreciated, he had 33 pts this year and finished +4.

Gorges and Bouillon ? At the moment i think its safe to say that Gorges would be 4th D-Man on quite a few teams, 23 pts, +13.

Bouillon had some hard times, personally i still think hes one of the best 6th D-Man in the league.

In our forwards, the only player i don't see ever getting 40 pts in his entire career is Kostopolous. I think we understand his value and what he bring to the team.

So instead of this sexy looking team... we had the following for the playoff.

Kovalev-Koivu-Higgins
A.Kost-Plekanec-D'Agostini/Stewart
Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos
Dandenault-Metropolit-Laraque

Komisarek-Hamrlik
Gorges-Brisebois/Bouillon/Schneider ( all injured, never finished playoffs)

Weber-O'Byrne.

Our offense didn't look that bad, we had a sort of gritty forwards ( just not the skills except for the 1st line and half of the 2nd line) but its nowhere what the peak quality of the starting roster could of been. But the defense was just awful, even our 7th D was injured.. like give me a break..lol.

Thoughts ? Personally, i don't think we need to re-build.

We need less bad luck, the only need that we have and that we had for the past 10 years is a star forward, and the reality is, unless we pull a Pittsburgh, we will get none.

This whole < we don't have grit and skills > non sense is getting old, our so called soft 1st line of Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev made the past 10 teams we played look god damn awful. I wish we had been able to have them all healthy to see this Combo earlier in the season.

So there will be no re-build for us, re-tooling ? Yes, we can definitively upgrade some pieces, ( wink wink, J-Bo instead of Schneider?!) and probably find somebody to replace Lang.

FinnHab 04-23-2009 03:57 AM

Yes, and we cant even boo those overpaid millionares, we might hurt they feelings. What a pansies. Second half of the regular season was horrible, what your excuse mr Gainey?

MontrealHabitant 04-23-2009 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinnHab73 (Post 19236163)
Yes, and we cant even boo those overpaid millionares, we might hurt they feelings. What a pansies. Second half of the regular season was horrible, what your excuse mr Gainey?

drunk much ?

DirtyJeeves 04-23-2009 04:02 AM

I don't think a re-build is in order, either.

The guys we've been drafting should slowly begin to start filling roles on the big club, and with several key returns from this season and some new additions, I'd say we'll be right back in the playoff hunt.

FinnHab 04-23-2009 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan (Post 19236195)
You should really go **** yourself you @$$ hole don't Boo the team you cheer for, plain and simple. You Boo them, go get a new ****ing team. I've had enough of the "fans" that Boo.

Oh yeah, u r good fan and im lousy. Got it. Im dissapointed for reason. But still Habs fan for life....even with im not your level Weezy

WeezyHabFan 04-23-2009 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinnHab73 (Post 19236200)
Oh yeah, u r good fan and im lousy. Got it. Im dissapointed for reason. But still Habs fan for life....even with im not your level Weezy

If you Boo the team your not on my level, glad you picked that up.

One Man Rock Band 04-23-2009 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan (Post 19236206)
If you Boo the team your not on my level, glad you picked that up.

Dude.. don't get into a bashing fight with over fans. You may not agree with them, but when you starting demoralizing people on a message board, it knocks on you too.

I don't agree with booing, never have, and never will. But as a Canadiens fan, I'm used to it. As a Brisebois fan, I'm ever more used to it. It's happened for years and years.

We disrespect players, countries national anthems, everything. It's part of life of the Montreal Canadiens and it's never going to change, regardless.

WeezyHabFan 04-23-2009 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natey2k4 (Post 19236214)
Dude.. don't get into a bashing fight with over fans. You may not agree with them, but when you starting demoralizing people on a message board, it knocks on you too.

I don't agree with booing, never have, and never will. But as a Canadiens fan, I'm used to it. As a Brisebois fan, I'm ever more used to it. It's happened for years and years.

We disrespect players, countries national anthems, everything. It's part of life of the Montreal Canadiens and it's never going to change, regardless.

Fair enough man, I get where your coming from. It's been a rough night though haha can't help but being a little upset sorry Finn just don't agree with boo-ing is all.

Sports1131 04-23-2009 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant (Post 19236150)
Personally after all our team went through, im actually surprised we managed to be in the playoff. I don't think once this season we catched a break, i don't even think we ever had a full healthy looking lineup this season.

Injuries were obviously a huge factor in the playoffs since there's no way we could beat the Bruins while missing four of our best players (especially Markov), but it's a lame excuse for what happened in the regular season. For about two months this team simply stopped working hard and came out flat every single night and that has nothing to do with the guys that weren't in the lineup.

JohnnyB11 04-23-2009 04:50 AM

I agree with the original post - this season was really more a set of bad circumstances than a bad team. Unfortunately Montreal media only accentuates the problem, and why they look to constantly sink the ship is beyond me, other than the fact that **** sells.

Too bad we never got to see the team as it should have been in the playoffs. Will be interesting to see what next year's roster looks like, no doubt.

Vinceee 04-23-2009 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natey2k4 (Post 19236214)

it's funny everyone tonight is so touchy about price being booed, i am too... but those same people we're ultrahappy when breezer got attacked by the boobirds at the Bell Centre... Double Standard Much?

Copie 04-23-2009 07:00 AM

No it wasn't. Last season was.

yohan1212 04-23-2009 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucid Dream (Post 19236590)

I think you are on to something.. Last year that "sexy" lineup was intact and the fact of the matter is if Boston has bergeron and Kobasew they win first round...I also dont understand the original poster of they made boston look "silly" at times in the playoffs. I dont think he was watching the same game as i was..Oh and Boston was just so damn "Lucky" this year.. LOL.. give credit where it is due.. the bruins are stacked right now.....

imnothere 04-23-2009 07:16 AM

Quote:

I think they both were.

The ''real'' habs are somewhere in between IMO. But we'll never know since we're losing half of our team to the UFA's next year.

Netro 04-23-2009 07:26 AM

Not sure either season was a fluke.

Look, I think given the injuries and all the crap around the team this year, 93 points isn't that bad. It is only 11 points less than last year and why? Because last year year the Habs earned 16 of 16 points vs Boston and this year only 1 of 12. That is the difference. And truthfully, this team fought and clawed for 93 points because things weren't going well.

It's a shame that it ended like this but in the long run, it will make the core group of players better. They won't forget this season and hopefully it will motivate them for next season.

As for the fans at the Bell Centre last night, shame on each and everyone of you that booed and mocked Carey Price. You all should be embarassed by your behaviour, it was childish and uncalled for.

Dr Blanket 04-23-2009 07:29 AM

My thought at the beginning of this season:

a very talented but young team coming from surprisingly good season + the huge pressure from fans and the media because of the success of last season and the coming centennial season

= could be a huge disappointment for everyone

I really hoped it would turn out to be something else, but it didn't. Though, I can't really say this was a big surprise for me. Huge disappointment - YES, surprise - not really.

But then, this is going to be a lesson especially for our youngsters. I really hope the organisation will keep their minds cool under pressure and not to blow up this team. Only ad some needed help down the middle and defence.

If so, watch carefully when this team bounces back next season. Big time.

Habs 4 Life 04-23-2009 07:36 AM

Quote:

I wonder if Gainey now doesn't regret trading to Atlanta whoever they wanted to land Hossa,last year was our year and again Gainey didn't really help.

This year the top team(Boston)made 2 moves and it sure looks good right now,when you're up there and you know you have a shot you gotta got for it!

Orange 04-23-2009 07:56 AM

I also think that if there was a fluke it was last season. We got lucky on the injuries front. This year we learned what it means to compete through adversity and I'm not happy with the result.

22Brad Park 04-23-2009 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MontrealHabitant (Post 19236150)
It is currently 4am and i'm still up and thinking about this awful season we had.

What if this season wasn't a bad season but just an unlucky one ?

I keep seeing posters from other fan bases saying we shouldn't use injuries for excuses. When was the last time some NHL team got into the playoff missing its Norris-Worthy D-Man, the starting goalie and pretty much 50 % of its top 6 forwards and Defense during the season ?

Kovalev missed 4 games
Markov missed 4 games + playoff
Koivu missed 17 games
A.Kost missed 8 games
Tanguay missed 32 games + playoff.
Lang missed 32 games + Playoff
Schneider (17 pts in 22 games) missed a few games and the playoff.
Latendresse ( 14 goals in 56 games) missed 26 games.
Higgins missed 25 games.
S.Kost missed ~ 10 games + playoff
Laraque missed over 50 games.
Komisarek missed 16 games.
Bouillon missed 36 games + playoff
Price missed 15 ~ games ( and thats when he was playing good, 2.20 avg, 920+ pct save)

Personally, i wanted to play the Boston Bruins and if it was to be done again, i'd still choose to play them again, but with a full line up that is.

I never was once impressed by the Bruins, during the season they had lucky OT breaks to win games against us when we were missing key pieces, and during the playoff we were missing pretty much 20 millions (if not more) of our entire team salary.

Yet we still made them look silly quite a few times.

The reality is, we never had the chance to see that 2008-2009 line up

Kovalev-Koivu-Tanguay
A.Kost-Plekanec-Higgins
S.Kost-Lang-D'Agostini
Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos.

Markov-Schneider
Hamrlik-Komisarek
Gorges-Bouillon

This team is deep enough to have two players with 14 goals on the 4th line.

And the D ? Markov is Norris Worthy, Schneider produced at a 63 pts pace for an entire season in the 22 games that he played with us. Komisarek had a bad year, injuries and all screwed him up, he's still an amazing D when healthy and playing properly.

Hamrlik is under-appreciated, he had 33 pts this year and finished +4.

Gorges and Bouillon ? At the moment i think its safe to say that Gorges would be 4th D-Man on quite a few teams, 23 pts, +13.

Bouillon had some hard times, personally i still think hes one of the best 6th D-Man in the league.

In our forwards, the only player i don't see ever getting 40 pts in his entire career is Kostopolous. I think we understand his value and what he bring to the team.

So instead of this sexy looking team... we had the following for the playoff.

Kovalev-Koivu-Higgins
A.Kost-Plekanec-D'Agostini/Stewart
Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos
Dandenault-Metropolit-Laraque

Komisarek-Hamrlik
Gorges-Brisebois/Bouillon/Schneider ( all injured, never finished playoffs)

Weber-O'Byrne.

Our offense didn't look that bad, we had a sort of gritty forwards ( just not the skills except for the 1st line and half of the 2nd line) but its nowhere what the peak quality of the starting roster could of been. But the defense was just awful, even our 7th D was injured.. like give me a break..lol.

Thoughts ? Personally, i don't think we need to re-build.

We need less bad luck, the only need that we have and that we had for the past 10 years is a star forward, and the reality is, unless we pull a Pittsburgh, we will get none.

This whole < we don't have grit and skills > non sense is getting old, our so called soft 1st line of Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev made the past 10 teams we played look god damn awful. I wish we had been able to have them all healthy to see this Combo earlier in the season.

So there will be no re-build for us, re-tooling ? Yes, we can definitively upgrade some pieces, ( wink wink, J-Bo instead of Schneider?!) and probably find somebody to replace Lang.

U my friend sound like a bitter person.One who thinks cause u owned Bruins for so long its your right to win every year.Bruins had 116 points this year and went wire to wire,There are alot of great habs fans but u are not one of them.Go to Bruins board and see all the great habs fans who not only said good series, congrats,but also wished Bruins luck to go all the way.Get over it,:shakehead

baldrick 04-23-2009 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 19236754)
I wonder if Gainey now doesn't regret trading to Atlanta whoever they wanted to land Hossa,last year was our year and again Gainey didn't really help.

This year the top team(Boston)made 2 moves and it sure looks good right now,when you're up there and you know you have a shot you gotta got for it!

I'm still shakiing my head about those decisions.

Joe Malone 04-23-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 22Brad Park (Post 19236905)
U my friend sound like a bitter person.One who thinks cause u owned Bruins for so long its your right to win every year.Bruins had 116 points this year and went wire to wire,There are alot of great habs fans but u are not one of them.Go to Bruins board and see all the great habs fans who not only said good series, congrats,but also wished Bruins luck to go all the way.Get over it,:shakehead

There's nothing bitter about his post except the bitter reality that the Habs were decimated by injury and dealt with more controversy than any team should. Because he didn't go and wish the Bruins good luck he's not great Habs fan?

Puckhead58* 04-23-2009 08:16 AM

I'm going to correct you here......LAST season was a fluke....this season was about par for the course.

We played over our heads last season. We done better than we should have because everybody played better than expected. This season was the real Habs. We had guys quitting on the team, nobody was able to score, everybody was injured and nobody played better then they should have.

overlords 04-23-2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckhead58 (Post 19237045)
I'm going to correct you here......LAST season was a fluke....this season was about par for the course.

We played over our heads last season. We done better than we should have because everybody played better than expected. This season was the real Habs. We had guys quitting on the team, nobody was able to score, everybody was injured and nobody played better then they should have.

Meh. One thing I don't get is that last year we 'over-achieved' because our young guns played really well, but boston's young guns break out and now they're 'stacked'. Bit of a double standard IMO.

This year the bruins had 1st place, they earned it. But without the insane amount of injuries (i won't mention the media circus, too many variables), i think we had 4th place pretty much locked in.

I'm definitely not bitter though. I'm anxious to see whether people like the kostitsyns and komisarek stick around to help or if they bolt.

MathMan 04-23-2009 11:31 AM

The Habs didn't overachieve last year. 106 points is a good season but usually that doesn't win you the conference. It's about right for the strength of their roster. That's six wins more than this year, which isn't a lot if you think about it.

What is misleading is that the rest of the conference didn't do so well and that they ended up first with 106 points. That's what drew up expectation, the "first in the conference" bit.

smon 04-23-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 19236754)

Agreed. I mean he essentially did the opposite of loading up for the playoffs that deadline, whether he tried to get anyone or not, he didn't get it done. It looks increasingly that the oppurtunity for success is pretty limited in the cap era with some parity amongst teams. If you have a good shot and things are going well for your club, you have to bite the bullet and acquire some assets.