HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   God Bless America (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=635306)

FlyersCup08 04-23-2009 09:54 AM

God Bless America

First off, no one is a bigger fan of this song than me. It just gets the Wach electrified, there's nothing like it when Kate Smith comes on. Add to that its winning %, and it's just a magical song.

That being said, I think that the Flyers are banking on it too much. It is to be used sparingly, but we used it in BOTH game 1 and 2. Granted, I think both those games were must win, but part of its magic is its rarity. If the Flyers win tonight, I would expect Kate Smith to sing for game 6, and rightfully so.

But I think that using her in game 4 was unnecessary. And if you think I'm saying that just because we lost, that's not it at all. My stance would be the same if we had won game 4. We used her in 3 because we came off 2 tough losses and needed a win at home. Game 4, we had all the momentum we needed, she was just an added bonus, which is not what the song, in my eyes, is intended for. For game 6, we are coming off a hypothetical win, yes, but also facing elimination, which tips the scale so we need Kate.

Maybe I'm just overthinking everything lately, but I say we go back to it being a surprise when Kate Smith and Lauren Hart to the duet of God Bless America.

flountown 04-23-2009 10:01 AM

The past few years I have been fortunate enough to attend playoff games, it has been performed...and sparingly in the regular season.

FlyersCup08 04-23-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flountown (Post 19238288)
The past few years I have been fortunate enough to attend playoff games, it has been performed...and sparingly in the regular season.

So do you think it's overplayed in the playoffs?

And I've heard God Bless America in the regular season occasionally, but not with Kate Smith. The duet is what I'm really talking about here.

Ex Storm 04-23-2009 10:27 AM

I think it's great that they use it for every playoff game. I wouldn't bust it out in the regular season at all. Great playoff tradition.

Jules801 04-23-2009 10:51 AM

I was actually surprised they didn't play it for the last Rangers game when home ice was on the line. I have no problem if they play it in the playoffs, especially if we're down by two. If we were up 3-1, 3-0...they can rest it for a game....

CantSeeColors 04-23-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul (Post 19238669)
I think it's great that they use it for every playoff game. I wouldn't bust it out in the regular season at all. Great playoff tradition.

Agreed.

GKJ 04-23-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul (Post 19238669)

They did it twice in the regular season last season. I think it was just twice, they did it before the Devils game in April, and for whatever reason, against Ottawa on a Sunday night in January.

I can't remember the last time it wasn't played for a home playoff game.

MsWoof 04-23-2009 09:31 PM

It has to be played for every playoff game, no matter who the opponent. For the regular season, only at the end if we're fighting like mad for something.

Richyrich 04-23-2009 11:11 PM

Often overlooked fact about Kate Smith: She sang a top 20 song entitled "That's Why Darkie's Were Born"

Jules801 04-23-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richyrich (Post 19253617)
Often overlooked fact about Kate Smith: She sang a top 20 song entitled "That's Why Darkie's Were Born"

That wasn't overlooked by my husband... :shakehead

Hollywood Couturier 04-23-2009 11:18 PM

The stadium may fall down on saturday when this is sung.

Richyrich 04-23-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules801 (Post 19253696)
That wasn't overlooked by my husband... :shakehead

I don't follow...

teeny 04-23-2009 11:32 PM