HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   is this gonna hurt or help my ice skating? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=635367)

kingfisher 04-23-2009 12:49 PM

is this gonna hurt or help my ice skating?
 
in the off-season i dont really have enough cash to play in a spring league (ice hockey)

to keep my training up i been skating an hour or 2 a day on rollerblades in a lacrosse box near my house. I dig it because it keeps me in shape, while i get to practice without having to find ice time all the time.

I've ice skated for about 6 months total now, but I'm just wondering, will this rollerblade training help or hinder my ice skating progress? I understand the basic movements are the same which leads me to believe it can't be a bad thing, but will it teach me poor edge habits in the long run?

Gunnar Stahl 30 04-23-2009 01:18 PM

im not rollerblader but rollerblades have a bigger edge because of the longer wheels, so you might get more comfortable and used to the rollerblades big edges. in other words, you might be leaning to far forward or to far backward on your rollerblades but it wont make you off balance because of the wheels are longer but then when you skate on ice skates your edges will be smaller and you might not have the right feel or comfort on your edges.

plus stops and starts and getting used to quick stops and starts wouldnt work and you might develop a bad habbit.

im not exactly sure though, i never really rollerblade

cptjeff 04-23-2009 01:56 PM

As long as you don't get too used to the flatness you'll be fine. Ice skates have a rocker, but rollerblades have all the wheels in contact at once. The motions are the same, and as long as you don't pick up bad habits like toe drags for stopping you'll be fine.

kingfisher 04-23-2009 02:35 PM

i guess if i mix in going to the ice rink every now and then i can keep ice skating technique in my head.

thanks for the feedback guys, any more warnings are welcomed.

Johnny Law 04-23-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 19240991)
Ice skates have a rocker, but rollerblades have all the wheels in contact at once.

That is not the case.

Your legs are going to be much stronger, if you haven't already noticed the weight difference, it is significant.

Bottom line if you keep them separate in your head your going to be a better skater, your legs will be stronger and the motions are nearly identical.

hsing 04-23-2009 03:16 PM

And I would add that, whatever habits you lose or gain during the summer with the rollerblade, coming in top shape for the beginning of the season will help you much more, especially if it's no skate at all or rollerblade in your case.

IniNew 04-23-2009 06:15 PM

Although some rollerblades are all-contact type of skates, there are options to generate the feel of a rocker.

You can use a smaller wheel in the front and rear, creating a rocker when you transition, or purchase Sprungs which are praised for their close feel to ice skating.

With, or without rocker, just skating is going to help you.

LarryO 04-23-2009 06:39 PM

I think there's something in Laura Stamm's power skating book about avoiding practising quick starts with roller blades. Because of the skate weight, you can't start as quick as on ice, so your body gets used to slower starts and carries this "habit" over to the ice... something about having "quick feet".

That said, I put Sprung frames on my ice boots and play pick-up roller, and it's a blast! But at my age I'm not planning on a great hockey career so I'm not worried about it affecting my skating technique.:laugh:

Ulic 04-23-2009 07:45 PM

Any bit of fitness training will do much more for your game than worrying about technique. There are minor differences in technique, but the quickness and endurance you will gain from conditioning will do wonders for your game. People always worry about the difference in technique but I've found that it doesn't affect a person very much. A few games or skates on the ice and you would fall back into ice skating technique anyway.

TBLfan 04-24-2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Law (Post 19242207)
That is not the case.

Your legs are going to be much stronger, if you haven't already noticed the weight difference, it is significant.

Bottom line if you keep them separate in your head your going to be a better skater, your legs will be stronger and the motions are nearly identical.

One of the downsides is it can slow your feet down. Kind of like using a bat weight, it makes the bat feel lighter but test have shown it actually slows the muscles down.

I'm not 100% convinced about those test results but I've noticed roller players tend to skate on ice with heavier feet... either way, if you push yourself, I don't think it could noticeably hurt your game and obviously will help keep you in shape/keep the muscle active.

Johnny Law 04-24-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBLfan (Post 19261917)
One of the downsides is it can slow your feet down. Kind of like using a bat weight, it makes the bat feel lighter but test have shown it actually slows the muscles down.

I'm not 100% convinced about those test results but I've noticed roller players tend to skate on ice with heavier feet... either way, if you push yourself, I don't think it could noticeably hurt your game and obviously will help keep you in shape/keep the muscle active.

That's really interesting, I play both and while most of my game is beyond sucking I can really skate. Always figured it was from skating with the heavier skates...now that you mention I'll have to look for it.

TBLfan 04-24-2009 03:00 PM

Some people can transition easily and the effects may be minimal, especially if you're doing both on a regular basis.

My stride is different in roller because I can't really return the toe to the surface the same way, so it's more choppy in roller... but we'll see how it is with my new sprung chassis over the hi-lo chassis.

BadHammy* 04-25-2009 02:17 AM

The best thing to do is always keep in mind the differences in technique when you're r-blading. It's possible to do both, but I've found I'm always much better at one than the other, depending on certain factors.

FelixPotvin 05-11-2009 02:18 AM

Make no mistake, an inline stride is different than an ice stride, and even thinking of the differences as you perform them won't stop the movements effecting your muscle memory.

That being said, it really doesn't normally take long to adjust back and forth. When you hit the ice again you'll notice your stride being a bit off at first (assuming it was right in the first place), but it'll normally only take a few ice times to get back into it.

The fitness benefits you'll gain though are where you're really getting the value. The strides are different on small levels. Important, but small. The major muscle groups are exactly the same though. Inline skating for your cardio is a great way to keep those muscles in shape and working the way they will in a game. (Don't skip the gym though! Squats, step-ups, etc, are still necessary if you want to be in top condition for the start of the season)

Huggy Bear* 05-11-2009 09:38 AM

Check out Sprungs or a TuuK Rocker chassis

Felonious Python 05-11-2009 09:45 AM

In my experience, it took me a while to get over the rollerskate/ice skate differences. However, once I found the differences, I stuck with it and my ice skating vastly improved.

I think the differences in weight and balance actually makes you more responsive to situations in ice skates.

TheGooooch 05-11-2009 12:37 PM

See, I have played roller for years and rollerbladed since I was like 8 (26 now) and I just recently started playing ice. Since I am new to ice it is hard to go back and forth, at least from a stopping standpoint. I play 2 open stick and puck skates a week on ice and 1 game. I play 1 pick up and 1 game a week in roller. The back and forth is tough but I think I am slowly getting used to it.

noobman 05-11-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FelixPotvin (Post 19512490)
Make no mistake, an inline stride is different than an ice stride, and even thinking of the differences as you perform them won't stop the movements effecting your muscle memory.

That being said, it really doesn't normally take long to adjust back and forth. When you hit the ice again you'll notice your stride being a bit off at first (assuming it was right in the first place), but it'll normally only take a few ice times to get back into it.

The fitness benefits you'll gain though are where you're really getting the value. The strides are different on small levels. Important, but small. The major muscle groups are exactly the same though. Inline skating for your cardio is a great way to keep those muscles in shape and working the way they will in a game. (Don't skip the gym though! Squats, step-ups, etc, are still necessary if you want to be in top condition for the start of the season)

+1 on this.

Inline skating and ice skating are similar, but definitely aren't the same. You'll spend some time adjusting from ice skating to blading, and agan from blading back to ice skating in the fall. You'll have some short-term struggles, but once your body adapts to the ice skating technique you'll quickly reap the benefits of stronger leg muscles and better cardiovascular fitness.

AlexK 05-11-2009 10:43 PM

The stopping is totally different so if you get used to the roller technique its gonna take a little bit to readjsut for ice. Also, you get 10x more edge hold on ice. I skated roller for the first time in months after alot of ice hockey this weekend an dmust have lsot my edge on a turn like 5 times. It could work the other way going back to ice where you're not turning as sharp as you can because you think you're gonna lose your edge because you're so used to roller.

sbkbghockey 05-14-2009 04:15 AM

I rollerblade (using roller hockey skates) at least 3 days a week for at least 20 miles per day. Other things during the offseason that are helpful are activities such as: biking, swimming, weightlifting, on ice sessions, competitive summer hky league, other recreational sports, etc.

Grittzkey 05-15-2009 06:04 PM

A balance of the two will in the end probably make you a beter skater.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.