HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Did the Canadiens make a mistake with Carey Price? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=636057)

MoonlightGraham 04-25-2009 09:59 AM

Did the Canadiens make a mistake with Carey Price?

I was watching La Zone yesterday and Dany Dubé put forward some interesting points on Price, and it made me think...

I think we have to be realistic and realize the fact that Gainey put Price in a role much too important for his young age. Even though he won the Calder Cup MVP, he should have played a season in the AHL just to have a few highs and lows at a professional level without being directly under the spotlight. Instead, Gainey promoted him directly in the NHL, even though he knew everyone expected a Patrick Roy-level performance from him and that anything else would be a disappointment. And he didn't even make him fight for his spot: he basically gave him the number 1 position when he traded Cristobal Huet. Had Carey Price won a starting position based on his performances in the AHL and in the NHL, he would probably feel much more confident in his ability to bounce back after a rough patch.

I don't think Carey Price is "broken" yet, but the Canadiens definitely mishandled him. Hopefully he will learn a lot from this season and I'm confident he will come back strong next year.

kent_carlson 04-25-2009 10:07 AM

You don't know till you try. He's still very young, he is not broken and he learned (should have) that you have to be serious to be succesful. On the other hand, the team probably mishandled Halak, poor guy what should he do to have a real chance?

TheCanasianfrasian 04-25-2009 10:07 AM

well its too late for that now, you can't put him in the AHL. and i don't think we burned him...

so yeah maybe he wasnt ready for a full season as no1 goalie in the NHL. but its done now, the experience is under his belt and i'm sure he'll be much much better next year

didouche 04-25-2009 10:08 AM

how many times do we have to revisit this subject....

Pat 04-25-2009 10:08 AM

NO

I'm not worried about Price, not at all.

he's only 21. he'll bounce back and he'll be a damn good goalie for many years to come.

but I do agree with some of the things Dubé mentions. Price was brought in too fast by Gainey. I do believe a whole year in the AHL would've been better for him.

Fire Brunet* 04-25-2009 10:10 AM

It's easy to say that 2 years AFTER you actually make him your number one goalie.

Ross MacLochness 04-25-2009 10:15 AM

I often wonder if he should have been in Hamilton this whole time. It really is ridiculous the amount of press this guy gets. After he won the Calder and made the team it was like every media outlet in Canada was all over him. He gets talked about almost as much as Avery... every move he makes is analyzed. It's just too much for a 20 year old goalie.

It's like when Brian Burke was talking about Justin Pogge. He used Mason as an example, saying something like "Oh yeah what he's doing is amazing, I'm not taking anything away from him, but he's doing it in Columbus." And he's right, Toronto and Montreal are in another universe. It's insanely harder for Carey Price to succeed here at this age.

But there's nothing we can do about it now. I really think we need to get him a competent veteran backup, and just hope for the best.

TheCanasianfrasian 04-25-2009 10:17 AM

look at fleury when he was young. They hated him in pittsburgh because of his sloppy play. He was showing flashes of greatness, then letting in important goals he should be stopping.

same thing will happen to price

Thinkbig 04-25-2009 10:19 AM

Did make....

shutehinside 04-25-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhf1 (Post 19272689)
I was watching La Zone yesterday and Dany Dubé put forward some interesting points on Price, and it made me think...

I think we have to be realistic and realize the fact that Gainey put Price in a role much too important for his young age. Even though he won the Calder Cup MVP, he should have played a season in the AHL just to have a few highs and lows at a professional level without being directly under the spotlight. Instead, Gainey promoted him directly in the NHL, even though he knew everyone expected a Patrick Roy-level performance from him and that anything else would be a disappointment. And he didn't even make him fight for his spot: he basically gave him the number 1 position when he traded Cristobal Huet. Had Carey Price won a starting position based on his performances in the AHL and in the NHL, he would probably feel much more confident in his ability to bounce back after a rough patch.

I don't think Carey Price is "broken" yet, but the Canadiens definitely mishandled him. Hopefully he will learn a lot from this season and I'm confident he will come back strong next year.

Your grammar is incorrect. I shouldn't say anything considering mine is horrid at times as well but it should be "make a mistake not "made"
We didn't hear Dube say anything when Price was on fire last year and the beginning of this year when he was good enough to be the starting goalie at the All Star Game did we?? No, we didn't and it's because all these reporters have to stroke their ego's and maintain they know more about hockey then anyone else so they don't make the important decisions until waaay after the fact at which point they jump all over it and criticize the decision saying they would never have made it. Well no kidding, they don't offer an opinion until after the fact so they can never be wrong.
Just once I'd LOVE for a reporter to make a call at the time it happens and own it to it when they are ultimately proven wrong. Let's see how many of them are experts and can preach from their perches then! Until then, almost every "reporter" in Montreal is a vulture waiting to pick at the bones of a dead carcass.
Carey Price has 2 years of NHL experience under his belt and has seen the highs of finishing first and the lows of being swept. He is much better equipped now to handle the pressure then he would had he been in the AHL last year and broke into the NHL this year. Not to mention Huet would have had to be signed for another 4 or 5 years which would have only dragged out Price’s development. Gainey made a judgment call and up until the time Price got injured before the ASG he was bang on but for whatever reason the ASG killed his confidence and he couldn’t rebound. Bottom line is they have a softmore jinx for a reason and we’ve seen it time and time again. My advise, relax and see how Price does next year because he is still ubber talented and can be one of the best goalies in the game, just have some faith.

Jiggernaut 04-25-2009 10:19 AM

NO

Simply because the Canadiens, and Bob Gainey know Carey Price a lot better than any of these reporters, media insiders, or fans.

They see Carey on a daily basis. They talk to his family, his former coaches. They have personnel ranging from team psychologists, trainers, coaches, etc watching over this kid constantly.

If they had any reason to believe he couldn't handle this and wasn't "a thorobread", as Gainey describes him, he wouldn't have been put in this position.

It's not like Gainey just had a moment one day sitting around the office, and decided "I'm gonna make price the starter from here on out". He collaborates with all the different personnel and he makes a decision based on what they tell him and believe he's made out of.
He has a lot more information to base his decisions on than some media folk who get a 2 minute interview with him after a game.

The organization believes he's strong enough to handle this, and will be better sooner, rather than later by going through this now.

sampollock 04-25-2009 10:20 AM

no,
this kid is a kid,

was marty a star 1st couple years in, no

so all should relax, and get there clubs out, and just be patient with this young gun

felixd 04-25-2009 10:21 AM

Did Thibault retire? He would be perfect for a backup. He's alredy played here in Montreal, he knows all about having the pressure of this city on his shoulders. I don't think he played in08-09 which is too bad. Oh well. I agree we should get a veteran backup...who do you guys suggest? Who is UFA at the end of the year? And what do you do with Halak? I would love to get a 2nd in this year's draft...do you think that's faire value for Halak?

Mustafa* 04-25-2009 10:26 AM

I dont think Price is the kind of guy you can "break", whatever happen he will be a great goalie.

But yeah they didn't make any good choices for him apart from drafting him.

impudent_lowlife 04-25-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian (Post 19272819)
look at fleury when he was young. They hated him in pittsburgh because of his sloppy play. He was showing flashes of greatness, then letting in important goals he should be stopping.

same thing will happen to price

exactly

12jf54 04-25-2009 10:29 AM

Let me think....NO

Habsolutely 04-25-2009 10:52 AM

:deadhorse:

Enough already...

MoonlightGraham 04-25-2009 10:52 AM

Corrected the embarassing grammar mistake in the title. No more new threads just minutes after getting up for me... ;)

Obviously they couldn't know until they tried, but I think they should have been a bit more careful with Price. It's not like we were in a desperate need for a goaltender, we had Cristobal Huet and Jaroslav Halak who could do well at NHL level. I still think he'll turn out ok, but looking back, I don't see any positives coming from rushing him into the number 1 position.

I still think they should try and get a veteran backup for Price, who will accept his role as a backup and not try to fight Carey for the number 1 position. Maybe Marc Denis could fill that role next year? How has he been doing in Hamilton?

Iwishihadacup 04-25-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsolutely (Post 19273129)
:deadhorse:

Enough already...

yep... stop beating the poor dead horse

I wonder why the mods are so slow to merge these ones...

SNM87 04-25-2009 10:54 AM

I'm definitely not too scared right now, Price is a Thoroughbred and will prove all the critics wrong as he progresses in age. The older he gets, the more experience he will have, he is a competitor and will be alright. The amount of people showing disrespect towards him makes me sick, he is only 21 and he plays in a pressure cooker like Montreal. If the fans here don't want to treat him right, i'm sure any other city in the NHL would welcome him with open arms, and he would just prove everyone wrong. See Mr. Michael Ryder, Mike Ribeiro, and most notably Mr. Patrick Roy.

JohnnyB11 04-25-2009 11:19 AM

DEFINITELY NO - The Canadiens did not mishandle Carey Price.

Price has all the tools to be an outstanding goaltender. He has excelled at every level until now. The experience he has received from the past two seasons are going to go a long way in helping him reach hid huge potential.

Carey Price has finally hit a bump in the road. As the old saying goes, sometimes you have to first take a step backwards to take two steps forward. Players like Price repond to challenges like this and come out better for it.

Don't worry about Carey Price. One day the fans will forget all about this rough patch.

Russian Warrior 04-25-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sampollock (Post 19272850)
no,
this kid is a kid,

was marty a star 1st couple years in, no

so all should relax, and get there clubs out, and just be patient with this young gun

Indeed.

Kriss E 04-25-2009 11:33 AM

I think all our players will be better after going through such a crazy season.

Lapierre said it best '' Je crois qu'on a vécu 4années en 1 saison''

Or Lats ''On a vécu 3saisons de Lance et Compte en une''

These guys are spot on.
I expect most of our youngsters to be great next year.

Habitants 04-25-2009 11:43 AM

NO.

See: M-A Fleury

/thread

onice 04-25-2009 11:43 AM

Latendresse
Price
S. Kostitsyn

Anyone see a pattern?