HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Comparing us with our Division...cap space and needs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=636484)

echlfreak 04-26-2009 05:44 PM

Comparing us with our Division...cap space and needs

Detroit- Not much space at all but if they re-sign Hossa then they are pretty much set. They will spend right up to the cap and fill out an already strong line-up. Goaltending will be their only issue.

Columbus- They spent just over 50M this past season so next year should be fairly similar. They have Brassard who will be healthy next season and Fliatov to round out there FWD's. With 40M committed to 18 players next year they should have about 10M to spend on a stud D or two. Mason like Pekka is a cheap #1.

St. Louis- They spent up to 54M this season and could likely do it again. Legace and Tkachuk come off the books which frees up space. Tkachuk will likely sign for less and this team if healthy may not have to add anything. They will add Brewer, Johnson and maybe Peiterangelo on D. Then they will have about 10M (minus Tkachuk) to spend on another impact FWD. For a team which averaged almost 3 goals a game and had one of the sickest PP's in the league, there is not much to change. Mason must play how he left off.

Chicago- This is what gets a little scary. They have 20M to spend with Habby and HAvlat off the books that is 12.75M alone. Havlat will likely be re-signed, they have multiple RFA's and will have to worry about Kane and Toews contracts the following year.

Nashville- 35M committed to 13 players and only about 44M available. Will this be the case of putting yet again the same team on the ice for more money? Ward will be worth at least 1.5M, Zanon 2.5M, Sullivan 3.5M, Jones 1M, and that is just about all the money available. Wilson with his bonuses will be a cap hit of close to 2.5-3M and Rad if he returns is >1M.

How do you become competitive in a division which keeps getting better when you keep staying the same? Will it be up to Pekka to stand on his head like he did the final stretch, yet for an entire season? Will Wilson be expected to score 25goals as a rookie? When will this team go for a Cup not just 8th place?

It looks like it is going to be another long season:(:cry::(:shakehead:cry::help::help::help:

sparkle twin 04-27-2009 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echlfreak (Post 19293737)
When will this team go for a Cup not just 8th place?

We did, twice. 05-06 (104 or 106 pts), 06-07 (110 pts). Remember Peter Forsberg? We were made to go far into the playoffs and some had us winning the Cup, we were even the #1 team for parts of the year, and were one win over the Wings from winning the division. We should have been competing on that level for the last 2 seasons and maybe a good while longer.

Then there was a sale....

Joe T Choker 04-27-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spank303 (Post 19300114)
We did, twice. 05-06 (104 or 106 pts), 06-07 (110 pts). Remember Peter Forsberg? We were made to go far into the playoffs and some had us winning the Cup, we were even the #1 team for parts of the year, and were one win over the Wings from winning the division. We should have been competing on that level for the last 2 seasons and maybe a good while longer.

Then there was a sale....

seems pretty fitting for this statement

dulzhok 04-27-2009 02:44 PM

It's not looking good.

I'm tired of all the excuses for us to be one of the lowest payroll teams in the league year after year.

We averaged over 14K in attendance. When you add in the extra 10 milllion in revenue sharing, that's equivalent to atleast 17K per game in revenue. That should take out any excuse for us not spend money.

And often overlooked... the Preds have a sweetheart deal from the Arena. I don't think tickets sales from Cher are reflected in the "Predators" bottom line. Could be wrong on that though.

"If you build it, they will come." Look at Chicago, they sucked, and their attendance sucked. Now they sell out every game. Look at Washington. Look at Pittsburgh.

You're going to have to excite the fan base to grow the game in Nashville. The only way we can do that is to make some NOISE in the playoffs. We've seen 11 years of mediocrity. We've grown the game as much as possible with a mediocre team. For us to compete in this division and the in the NHL, we've going to have to ice a better team, and one that can make some noise in the playoffs.

OpenWheel 04-27-2009 03:51 PM

I don't like the "spend more for the same team" approach either. I'm hoping a bunch of our third and fourth line players won't be back. We seem to be amazed when the deep depth guys we pick up can actually play to some minimum level, so we "lock ''em up" with two or three year deals. I wish we'd stop doing that.

If we want to be minimum payroll guys, then we have to turn the team personnel over frequently and keep trying to "hit" with those players who play over their price. Such as Ward did this year. The downside is we have to be willing to let those guys go when other teams pay their true price or higher.

I don't care that much if we go lower cost, and don't overspend to try for a winner, either. I can be patient.

All I want is for them to be financially successful at a level that keeps hockey in Nashville. So we miss the playoffs some times, and rarely (never, so far...) advance out of the first round. So? As long as there's hockey downtown to go see I'm much, much happier than if there's no hockey downtown.

That's just the way I am. If I lived in New York, I'd be a Mets fan.

Predsrule 04-29-2009 08:04 PM

lol well i look at it like this.. on a team thats the lowest payroll in the nhl we still compete.. id rather have a team that can compete but still miss the playoffs once in 4 years.. then a team that spend to much has to move out of Nashville bc they spent to much better a low team then no team