HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Are the Rangers tanking the season?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=63669)

pld459666 03-20-2004 04:54 PM

Are the Rangers tanking the season??

because the League should look into the serious lack of effort by these guys.

I know that things will be toung and the rebuildign process is a long road, but there's a difference between losing due to lesser talent and losses like today's.

Park #2 03-20-2004 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666
because the League should look into the serious lack of effort by these guys.

I know that things will be toung and the rebuildign process is a long road, but there's a difference between losing due to lesser talent and losses like today's.

Lack of effort??? If that's the case the NHL should invesatigate the last seven years.

Edge 03-20-2004 04:56 PM

you really want an investigation into tanking the season, take a look at Phoenix.

Those guys have had it in cruise control for about 3 weeks now.

Everyone wants a shot at Ovchekin.

Put him right up there with Thornton, LeCalvier, Gaborik, Heatly and Kovalchuk.

Hankenstein 03-20-2004 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Park #2
Lack of effort??? If that's the case the NHL should invesatigate the last seven years.

:lol: :handclap:

Fletch 03-20-2004 05:35 PM

They are tanking...

and it's a brilliant strategy by Sather & Co...continuing to poorly coach a team, continuing to play undisciplined hockey, continuing to play guys like Jagr 20+ minutes per game, etc...leads me to believe that Sather has learned how to lose and Renney is following that game plan.

Laches 03-20-2004 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
you really want an investigation into tanking the season, take a look at Phoenix.

---Yikes, have they ever. I knew that hadn't been playing well but I didn't realize how poor they've been. I just took a closer look at their schedule, and it looks like a lot more than three weeks they've been tanking it. It's closer to three months, since the last win of the Boucher shutout streak, which came on January 9th, they have won 4 times in 33 games. That's, like, Ranger-bad that is.

in the hall 03-20-2004 06:22 PM

im sure if they were tanking it jagr would be out with a sore groin, holik would have a sore hip and dunham would be starting every game

Ranger Blue 03-20-2004 06:24 PM

Tanking it? With a line up that's been together for a couple of weeks, with guys fighting for a job next year? Tanking it? Well yeah, at least the COACHING staff is. Renney, who is nothing more than Sather's puppet is doing his damnest to make sure they lose. With 9 games left he's still rolling the same lines (or what's left of them) Sather was.

Park #2 03-20-2004 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger Blue
Tanking it? With a line up that's been together for a couple of weeks, with guys fighting for a job next year? Tanking it? Well yeah, at least the COACHING staff is. Renney, who is nothing more than Sather's puppet is doing his damnest to make sure they lose. With 9 games left he's still rolling the same lines (or what's left of them) Sather was.

Why would you just throw insults at Renney? Do you think the Rangers current lineup is capable of winning on a consistent level??? This lineup would be lucky to win 3 out of every ten games.

He's not rolling the lines like Sather was. Lundmark got 15 minutes of ice today and 20 last game. He showed nothing. Balej is playing 14-17 per game. That's all he should be playing. I'd like to see Murray a get a little bit more (12-14 per game). THat's my only criticism. What would you like to see different?

Fletch 03-20-2004 07:08 PM

Do we need to see...

Jagr out there for 24 minutes? Holik and Hlavac >20? And should Holik, Jagr and Hlavac be on a line together? Shouldn't Holik be checking top lines and Jagr play with others? That's my criticism, aside from the Murray comment you had made. I probably wouldn't mind seeing Moore again either.

Edge 03-20-2004 07:15 PM

I'll be honest with you. If Murray never becomes more than a 5 goal scorer at the NHL level, he'll be a player. He's at the very a younger version of Dan Lacouture.

I've been very impressed with him, though I'd like to see some scoring. I think he is at least capable of double digits.

Park #2 03-20-2004 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
Jagr out there for 24 minutes? Holik and Hlavac >20? And should Holik, Jagr and Hlavac be on a line together? Shouldn't Holik be checking top lines and Jagr play with others? That's my criticism, aside from the Murray comment you had made. I probably wouldn't mind seeing Moore again either.

Moore just isn't an NHL player right now.

Who should Jagr play with? You have two options: Lundmark and Messier. Lundmark just is playing so flat right now - he's not 1st line capable. I presume they will bounce him back to that line against PIT.

The Rangers 4th line (especially today's) should not be out more than 7 minutes. They are putrid.

in the hall 03-20-2004 07:22 PM

Quote:

Lundmark just is playing so flat right now - he's not 1st line capable.

two words: jan hlavac

no one was playing worse then him

Park #2 03-20-2004 07:23 PM

Quote:

I'll be honest with you. If Murray never becomes more than a 5 goal scorer at the NHL level, he'll be a player. He's at the very a younger version of Dan Lacouture.

I've been very impressed with him, though I'd like to see some scoring. I think he is at least capable of double digits.

I think he's going to turn into a real nice 3rd line player. 10-15 goals, hard worker, sparkplug. Real nice player, nice speed - good leader. Typical Saskatch boy! A young Lacouture I would say is his downside, as he has more offensive skill. Nice player. I think he'll be a fan favorite on Broadway for some time.

Park #2 03-20-2004 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall
two words: jan hlavac

no one was playing worse then him

Different players. Hllavac is a wing - a Center needs to be in control of the play. Lundmark is playing horribly. This is coming from a Lundmark fan.

Edge 03-20-2004 07:40 PM

Quote:

I think he's going to turn into a real nice 3rd line player. 10-15 goals, hard worker, sparkplug. Real nice player, nice speed - good leader. Typical Saskatch boy! A young Lacouture I would say is his downside, as he has more offensive skill. Nice player. I think he'll be a fan favorite on Broadway for some time.

I've always said he reminds me of Darren McCarty. Even when people wanted to call him a young Graves, I said McCarty. If he can get the scoring up, he might just get there.

Park #2 03-20-2004 07:45 PM

Quote:

I've always said he reminds me of Darren McCarty. Even when people wanted to call him a young Graves, I said McCarty. If he can get the scoring up, he might just get there.

Simply put - he's faster then Graves, but doesn't have Graves' nose for scoring (whether garbage goals or not). McCarty is a good comparison.

Edge 03-20-2004 08:40 PM

Round here it's become almost a holy grail quest to find the next Adam Graves.

Everyone from Malhotra to Murray to Harvey were mentioned in the same breath.

It's scary.

True Blue 03-20-2004 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
and it's a brilliant strategy by Sather & Co...continuing to poorly coach a team, continuing to play undisciplined hockey, continuing to play guys like Jagr 20+ minutes per game, etc...leads me to believe that Sather has learned how to lose and Renney is following that game plan.

True 'dat. There's a big difference between coaching a bunch of kids trying hard and coaching the same old useless way the old boss did it. Sather's gone, but what has changed? Top minutes are still distributed to those who are the eldest. 2 of the top 4 players minutes wise are absolutely not coming back here (Messier and Hlavac). Correction, the only way that eithre Messier or Hlavac would be back here is if Sather is still in charge. I could see it now. He announces that Messier will be back for another term as the team captain and Hlavac will be resigned as him, Jagr, and Holik showed good chemistry together. Off course Holik stays on the top line........Good God, I'm starting to depress myself.
Anyway, back to the orignal topic. Renney sucks. Still no discipline. Still the overpassing, even though the easiest thing to do w/ a bunch of kids is to just tell them to get the puck to the blue line for quick wristers and everybody else just go to the net. He still overplays the vets. Messier has been getting between 18 & 20 minutes a night. Meet the new boss...same as the old boss.
Another sign of poor-coaching? Yet ANOTHER too-many men on the ice penalty. Is it just me or do we take those nightlY?

Mark Pavelich 03-20-2004 09:14 PM

Quote:

One team that hasn't tanked is Carolina.

Edge 03-20-2004 09:20 PM

playin themselves right out of the lottery.....

Brooklyn Ranger 03-20-2004 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
True 'dat. There's a big difference between coaching a bunch of kids trying hard and coaching the same old useless way the old boss did it. Sather's gone, but what has changed? Top minutes are still distributed to those who are the eldest. 2 of the top 4 players minutes wise are absolutely not coming back here (Messier and Hlavac). Correction, the only way that eithre Messier or Hlavac would be back here is if Sather is still in charge. I could see it now. He announces that Messier will be back for another term as the team captain and Hlavac will be resigned as him, Jagr, and Holik showed good chemistry together. Off course Holik stays on the top line........Good God, I'm starting to depress myself.
Anyway, back to the orignal topic. Renney sucks. Still no discipline. Still the overpassing, even though the easiest thing to do w/ a bunch of kids is to just tell them to get the puck to the blue line for quick wristers and everybody else just go to the net. He still overplays the vets. Messier has been getting between 18 & 20 minutes a night. Meet the new boss...same as the old boss.
Another sign of poor-coaching? Yet ANOTHER too-many men on the ice penalty. Is it just me or do we take those nightlY?

Join the club, why should I get excited about anything surrounding this organization when Sather is still leading it? Until something happens that proves to me this franchise is really, truly going in a different direction, I'm not investing any more emotional capital in it. Why should I give a damn?

As for the original topic--no the Rangers aren't tanking it. That would require leadership from the coaching staff and upper management. And they still don't have a clue.

Ranger Blue 03-21-2004 07:55 AM

Quote:

Why would you just throw insults at Renney? Do you think the Rangers current lineup is capable of winning on a consistent level??? This lineup would be lucky to win 3 out of every ten games.

He's not rolling the lines like Sather was. Lundmark got 15 minutes of ice today and 20 last game. He showed nothing. Balej is playing 14-17 per game. That's all he should be playing. I'd like to see Murray a get a little bit more (12-14 per game). THat's my only criticism. What would you like to see different?

Why would I throw insults at Renney? Simple because he is nothing but a mouth piece for Sather. He talks and Sather's words come out. What would I like to see different? Murray playing on something than the 4th line, which is where he would have been again if Ortmeyer hadn't gotten hurt. Different? How about Messier watching from the stands instead of logging 20 minutes a game. Different? Lots of things, starting with a different head coach. One that has a mind of his own.

Park #2 03-21-2004 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger Blue
Why would I throw insults at Renney? Simple because he is nothing but a mouth piece for Sather. He talks and Sather's words come out. What would I like to see different? Murray playing on something than the 4th line, which is where he would have been again if Ortmeyer hadn't gotten hurt. Different? How about Messier watching from the stands instead of logging 20 minutes a game. Different? Lots of things, starting with a different head coach. One that has a mind of his own.

Messier is one of the greatest players in NHL history. Even if you think it's time for him to go, he is not going to go in the stands.

Ranger Blue 03-21-2004 11:45 AM

Quote:

Messier is one of the greatest players in NHL history. Even if you think it's time for him to go, he is not going to go in the stands.

That's what scares me. The only thing worse than Messier continuing to play would be the Rangers bringing him back as a coach. God I have nightmares about that happening. 1994 was a long time ago, how long do we have to keep paying for it?