HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Howard wins Hockey East Tourney MVP (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=63745)

Oilers Chick 03-20-2004 11:59 PM

Howard wins Hockey East Tourney MVP
 
:handclap:

In an absolutely phenomenal game that just ended about 15 minutes at the 9:33 mark of the 3rd OT, Maine won the Lamorello Trophy (Hockey East title) and Howard wins MVP.

In tonight's game, Howard made 63 saves on 64 shots......and he STILL has yet to give up an even strength goal.

Oh BTW, the last time Howard allowed a non-Power Play goal? December 5th.

Birko19 03-21-2004 02:38 AM

:bow: :bow: :bow:

stu the grim reaper 03-21-2004 02:54 AM

just saw some highlights on espn
LORDY
i take back all the bad things i said about him on draft day

Wingboy2999 03-21-2004 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
:Oh BTW, the last time Howard allowed a non-Power Play goal? December 5th.

HOLY CRAP!

Coffey77 03-21-2004 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu the grim reaper
just saw some highlights on espn
LORDY
i take back all the bad things i said about him on draft day


You aren't alone on that one.

Funny thing is that KL (noted fan who loves to rib Wing fans) thought the Wings made a good choice on picking Howard. While most of us weren't too happy.

Hey, Oilers Chick, since you follow College hockey a lot, what kind of goalie does Jim Howard project to? Thanks.

bosox1256 03-21-2004 10:45 AM

I watched the whole game last night. And I did not know that Howard was a red wing prospect. Good to hear that though as he played a phenominal game.

TheZodiac 03-21-2004 10:59 AM

I watched this and the Minnesota game, both were incredible action. I wish my Cornell boys were going to the show again :(

Shoalzie 03-21-2004 10:59 AM

I saw some highlights of him on SportsCenter...awesome stuff! I hope we get to see him in Wings camp in the next couple of years.

dats-13 03-21-2004 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
:handclap:

In an absolutely phenomenal game that just ended about 15 minutes at the 9:33 mark of the 3rd OT, Maine won the Lamorello Trophy (Hockey East title) and Howard wins MVP.

In tonight's game, Howard made 63 saves on 64 shots......and he STILL has yet to give up an even strength goal.

Oh BTW, the last time Howard allowed a non-Power Play goal? December 5th.

:eek: :handclap: :yo:

Liv's got some serious competition....

wouldn't it be funny if Howard turns out to be the better goaltender than Fleury???

Howard35 03-21-2004 09:51 PM

great to howard is playing outstanding. Its better to have goaltending compitition then to not have any good goalies at all. Maybe now we wont have to draft a goalie for a few years....

Wingboy2999 03-21-2004 11:56 PM

Where the hell is KL?

Vyacheslav 03-22-2004 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
Where the hell is KL?

Permabanned-land

Oilers Chick 03-22-2004 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffey77
You aren't alone on that one.

Funny thing is that KL (noted fan who loves to rib Wing fans) thought the Wings made a good choice on picking Howard. While most of us weren't too happy.

Hey, Oilers Chick, since you follow College hockey a lot, what kind of goalie does Jim Howard project to? Thanks.


I'm not sure that I quite understand your question, but I'll try and answer it anyway.

Howard has steadily gotten better. He's very much grace under pressure. He's excellent on his angles and possesses a wicked glove. One of his greatest attributes is his ability to not get rattled and calm no matter how much things get chaotic around him. He shows great poise and concentration (has a mind like a steel trap). He makes opposing shooters work for their goals, so if they're gonna beat him, it's more likely than not that it'll be a fluky or just an unbelievable goal.

I've had a chance to see alot of Howard both last year and this season. Probably the scariest thing about Howard is that I don't think he's played to his full potential yet. As spectacular as he has been this season, he could conceivably be even better. He'll certainly get alot more work next season because his current partner in crime (read that goaltending partner) Frank Doyle graduates this season.

Maine has gotten the #1 seed in the East Regionals in the upcoming Frozen Four Tournament, which starts this coming weekend. Should Maine advance to the semis of the FF and the national title game, you'll be able to see just what I mean about Howard because both games will be on ESPN & ESPN2.

Wingboy2999 03-22-2004 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vyacheslav
Permabanned-land

HA!

Wingboy2999 03-22-2004 02:29 AM

Let's hope he doesn't turn out to be like Ryan Miller. Amazing in college and then not so amazing in pros.

Coffey77 03-22-2004 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
I'm not sure that I quite understand your question, but I'll try and answer it anyway.

Howard has steadily gotten better. He's very much grace under pressure. He's excellent on his angles and possesses a wicked glove. One of his greatest attributes is his ability to not get rattled and calm no matter how much things get chaotic around him. He shows great poise and concentration (has a mind like a steel trap). He makes opposing shooters work for their goals, so if they're gonna beat him, it's more likely than not that it'll be a fluky or just an unbelievable goal.

I've had a chance to see alot of Howard both last year and this season. Probably the scariest thing about Howard is that I don't think he's played to his full potential yet. As spectacular as he has been this season, he could conceivably be even better. He'll certainly get alot more work next season because his current partner in crime (read that goaltending partner) Frank Doyle graduates this season.

Maine has gotten the #1 seed in the East Regionals in the upcoming Frozen Four Tournament, which starts this coming weekend. Should Maine advance to the semis of the FF and the national title game, you'll be able to see just what I mean about Howard because both games will be on ESPN & ESPN2.

Cool thanks. Looks like he could be a starting NHL goalie. I can't imagine his stats are going to get better in college (even if he improves). I can't see him or anyone having a GAA of less than 1.00

Good to see he has a lot of good attributes. He's also a decent sized goalie right? I read that he's 6'0" 200 pounds. Hehe, he's bigger than most of the Wing forward prospects.

Too bad he got hurt before the World Juniors since I still haven't seen him play yet.

Turner 03-22-2004 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
Let's hope he doesn't turn out to be like Ryan Miller. Amazing in college and then not so amazing in pros.

Acually I thought that the Sabres have said that Miller is thier tender of the future? I thought that the main reason that he was down in the minors was because he would clear waivers. :dunno:

Vatican Roulette 03-23-2004 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
Let's hope he doesn't turn out to be like Ryan Miller. Amazing in college and then not so amazing in pros.

Miller was in the top 5 for THN's future watch. He'll be an all-star one day IMO.


As for Howard, i liked the pick, but he will not be better than fleury.

winged wheel 03-23-2004 11:39 AM

I think next season we'll find out just how good Howard is. Frank Doyle is a senior and split time with Howard this season, and Howard also missed a month because of that knee injury. Like Oiler's Chick said earlier in the thread, Howard probably isn't playing to his full potential yet. I'm sure Detroit will keep him in Maine for his last two years, so he'll have two years playing as the number one goalie.

After two years, Cujo's contract will be up (I think there's an option in there) and he'll be pretty old by then. Liv and Howard will probably be given the chance to battle it out for the backup, depending on what happens with Manny.

doublejack 03-23-2004 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winged wheel
After two years, Cujo's contract will be up (I think there's an option in there) and he'll be pretty old by then.

Yes there is an option on Cujo's contract. The wings either have to win the cup this year or next, or make it to the finals both years for the option to become activated. But none of that should matter really. This is way off the thread topic but I think it's very likely this is Cujo's last season. With his recurring ankle injury and advancing age, and the looming CBA situation, I don't see him playing beyond this year. Especially if the wings win the cup. Maybe if there is no lockout he'll be back for another year but that really will be it.

If Howard has another season like this one I wouldn't mind him leaving college a year early, hypothetically when Cujo retires. If there's one position where someone can make an impact at a young age it's the netminder. Plus he'd have nothing left to prove with back-to-back dominant years like that. I know Liv is another highly touted goalie prospect but Howard's numbers are just sick.

Hockeypuck 03-23-2004 10:54 PM

If anyone is interested here are a few video clips of a couple saves Howard made this past weekend http://hockeyeastonline.com/multimedia/video.html

Turner 03-25-2004 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
Miller was in the top 5 for THN's future watch. He'll be an all-star one day IMO.


As for Howard, i liked the pick, but he will not be better than fleury.

I would be very happy if he was in the same area code as Fleury. He kinda reminds me of giggy with a better glove hand. And that is not that bad at all.

detredWINgs 03-25-2004 11:14 PM

Hes played 20 games this season and leads the NCAA with a 1.05 GAA. Thats insane. The second best in the category had a 1.65 GAA.

A 0.6 GAA difference between the first and 2nd ranked. 1.05 is insane!!!! :yo:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.