HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Kovalev Scores! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=63782)

Park #2 03-21-2004 02:17 AM

Kovalev Scores!

MONTREAL (CP) -- Alex Kovalev's first goal in a Montreal Canadiens uniform may have gone into an empty net, but he'll take it.

Rookie Michael Ryder had a goal and an assist for the fourth time in six games and Jose Theodore made 33 saves as the Montreal Canadiens moved into a tie for sixth place in the Eastern Conference with a 3-2 win Saturday over the New Jersey Devils. Kovalev's empty-netter at 18:59 of the third broke an 11-game goal drought dating to Feb. 19 when he was still with the New York Rangers. It turned out to be the winner after the Devils scored 25 seconds later.

A visibly relieved Kovalev raised both hands in the air and tapped the glass to acknowledge the fans. "When you go through a season where you're hitting so many posts, and missing the net so many times and breaking sticks -- I definitely expect to score a lot more goals, but that's the way the season went for me this year," Kovalev said.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH..... BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Edge 03-21-2004 02:20 AM

quick lemme get him a kleenex.

Park #2 03-21-2004 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
quick lemme get him a kleenex.

And what's worse - his dog ate his jersey on the way to the game. It was horrible. Don't remind him about it.

Edge 03-21-2004 02:22 AM

too bad it didnt eat his stick, because that's obviously where the problem started.

Park #2 03-21-2004 02:26 AM

Quote:

too bad it didnt eat his stick, because that's obviously where the problem started.

I would've rather it start at the real route of the problem, and just chomp off his head.

Tommy Udo 03-21-2004 08:31 AM

Just for my information, please let me know if Kovalev didn't break a lot of sticks, didn't hit goalposts and didn't miss the net a lot this season.

Also, I'd like to see where he blamed anyone else besides himself for his failures this year.

in the hall 03-21-2004 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dismember
Just for my information, please let me know if Kovalev didn't break a lot of sticks, didn't hit goalposts and didn't miss the net a lot this season.

if "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts it would be christmas every day

True Blue 03-21-2004 10:13 AM

Quote:

Sounds like Kovalev has been hanging around Jackass too much. It's rubbing off. Everyone else's and everything else's fault but his own. Yeah, it was the stick that caused him to overhandle the puck at the other teams blueline, resulting in an odd-man rush the other way. It was all the evil sticks fault.

Hankenstein 03-21-2004 10:24 AM

Maybe he should start a Jobu-like shirne in his locker with the Troll as the god. He could repeatedly tap his sticks with chicken bones and offer rum to the naked troll.

Fletch 03-21-2004 11:46 AM

Don't know what the uproar is...

is he making excuses? No, I don't think so. He's admitting to a tough season - which includes missing the net, hitting posts, breaking sticks, etc...basically saying things were not going well for him, whatever the reason. And he's relieved for one to finally find the net. Big whoop.

Tommy Udo 03-21-2004 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
Sounds like Kovalev has been hanging around Jackass too much. It's rubbing off. Everyone else's and everything else's fault but his own. Yeah, it was the stick that caused him to overhandle the puck at the other teams blueline, resulting in an odd-man rush the other way. It was all the evil sticks fault.

Kovalev overhandling the puck is nothing new. He did it in Pitt, too. Missing the net to the degree he did this year is out of the ordinary. So is the amount of times his stick broke when he took a slap shot. If the sticks are more prone to break, he should have adjusted or taken more wrist shots. It's also possible that his eyesight might not be what it was.

Sure, he's rationalizing a but but I don't see the need to blast him and belittle him because of what he said.

If it makes people happy to do that, fine.

charliemurphy 03-21-2004 12:47 PM

Who cares what Kovalev is up to?
Rather talk about Balej.
Go Brian Leafs!

Fire Sather 03-21-2004 01:05 PM

Nice job Kovy, next time try it when theres a goalie there.

charliemurphy 03-21-2004 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Sather
Nice job Kovy, next time try it when theres a goalie there.

Good one. :D

deathbear 03-21-2004 01:34 PM

wow are you guys bitter.

kovalev isnt blaming anyone but himself. jeez...

charliemurphy 03-21-2004 01:37 PM

Think that's bitter.
Ask what people think about Sather.

Jeffrey 03-22-2004 02:35 PM

you guys are waay too hard on Kovalev !
sure he didnt peform in New-York .. but now he gets a 2nd chance and everybody in montreal want him to suceed !!
BTW even if we traded balej in the kovalev deal.. im still cheering for him!! he's one of the most underrated prospect around the board .. and he'll be a great player in the future !
so does you guys have something fine to said about kovalev? :dunno: ..
at least one good thing ...

Fletch 03-22-2004 02:43 PM

I liked him...

when playing with the team's better offensive players, he played well, while at the same time going against top lines. He wasn't scoring, but he was setting up goals for others - unfortunately in RangerLand, finishing was a problem - for Kovalev too.

He seemed to lose some interest when he played with Nedved and Hlavac. He had more chemistry with a guy like Holik - as Kovalev seemed to be the puck carrier on that line - but he and Nedved seemed to always clash, I thought. It was a disaster having those two together. Funny how Nedved tallies 9 points in 7 or 8 games in Edmonton immediately - playing with Dvorak, again, and a scorer on the other end. Perhaps if Hlavac didn't suck so much throughout the season, things would've been different on that line - who knows.

I think we're happy here with the return. I don't hold a grudge against him like others. I liked him when he was first here, I liked when he returned, and I still follow him.

Tommy Udo 03-22-2004 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryoptix
so does you guys have something fine to said about kovalev? :dunno: ..
at least one good thing ...

Strong as an ox and doesn't shy away from contact.

To a certain degree his puckhandling skills are detrimental. With his skating, shot, size and stength he could've been a legitimate power forward. Not as much fun to watch when his game was on, but maybe more productive.