HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Regarding two Nashville defensemen: Read whole post first (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=638187)

Dark Shadows 04-30-2009 10:09 PM

Regarding two Nashville defensemen: Read whole post first
 
I avoided putting their names in the title because I want to get opinions primarily from Nashville fans and avoid attracting the damn poll section people who only look at stats.(They might see the title and come ruin the poll)

I am of a mind after watching many Nashville games that Suter is Nashville's #1 Defenseman(This past year). Most people outside of Nashville seems to think Weber is the #1 defenseman.

Just talking about this past year. Not future(Although if you want to elaborate later, feel free)

What is your take?(Vote before reading my reasons so as not to let me sway you)







Either because Weber scores more goals, is flashier, or just because he draws more attention with harder hitting, he seems to have cornered the market as the only Dman non-Nashville fans talk about.

I always find Suter to be much more effective at carrying the puck, or breaking the puck out of the zone with a pass. I also personally find him much more effective defensively, both positionally and along the boards. He also draws more PK time because of his better work along the boards and positioning. When they need to enter the zone on the PP, Suter seems to be the go to guy(While curiously, despite his good PP stats, Weber seems to struggle at that aspect)

worstfaceoffmanever 05-01-2009 12:04 AM

I think the reason Weber gets so much attention is because he's Canadian.

Suter is the better defenseman, and I'm not sure he isn't the more overall talented player, although most of the fans where I sit won't openly admit it.

It's reassuring to know that someone other than a Predators' fan thinks that Suter is the better defenseman.

barrytrotzsneck 05-01-2009 06:37 AM

I don't think the difference is huge, but I think Weber is still easily the better defenseman. They both have things they do better than the other, but I like Weber's all-around game better. Suter is a better skater, passer, and better with the puck...Weber is a better shooter, has better shooting INSTINCTS, and is more physical. I think they're pretty equal in defensive prowess...Suter is better positionally, Weber is more stifling once he has you on the boards.

That said, it's nice to say we have both.

lugnut76 05-01-2009 10:20 AM

I think Suter is the best defensman we have. I think Suter, moreso than Weber, has the ability to make the players around him better because of his ability to carry the puck, make the first pass, and quaterback the power play without compromising defensive play. I also think he sees the ice a little bit better than Weber, which is why the Predators breakout begins with Suter and not Weber. All of that being said I think they are 1A and 1B. Though I would give the edge to Suter.

Jarnberg 05-01-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 19369795)
I don't think the difference is huge, but I think Weber is still easily the better defenseman. They both have things they do better than the other, but I like Weber's all-around game better. Suter is a better skater, passer, and better with the puck...Weber is a better shooter, has better shooting INSTINCTS, and is more physical. I think they're pretty equal in defensive prowess...Suter is better positionally, Weber is more stifling once he has you on the boards.

That said, it's nice to say we have both.

This

Enoch 05-01-2009 04:24 PM

Tough to say, tough to say....Suter is the better of the two in terms of defensive ability, but Weber's size and shot make him more valuable to the team. With that said, in terms of number one defenseman, Suter was the guy we leaned on the most. I think his defensive zone play speaks for itself. Getting away from Zidlicky let him shine.

Dark Shadows 05-01-2009 09:18 PM

I like the results so far here. not only because they reinforce my opinion a bit since you all watch these two more than anyone else, but because it just drives the point home that Suter is a very good underrated defenseman.

Across the league, Weber gets recognition for his big hits and shot from the point, and people seem to think he is the only real Dman on Nashville. When I mention Suter in any other section, people laugh at me and say he is not even in the same ballpark as Weber(Or rink if you will:D)

From the perspective of fans who watch them the most, they are virtually being voted as equals, if off by a hair(Only a few people voted by "a good margin" thus far)

OpenWheel 05-03-2009 02:34 PM

As a Nashville fan who only made two games this year, and usually was on the road listening on radio instead of tv, the answer is clear.

Weber.

While radio listening, the great stuff by Suter goes relatively unnoticed. Once in awhile the radio call will take pains to point out that a play was carried by Suter or a offensive man was stymied. But you have to be actively listening to catch it.

With Weber, his big hits draw a BIG HIT! yell and his shots bring a CANNON SHOT! call. You can't miss 'em.

Weber is the better radio player. By far.

Sucks, because I really like Suter and used to think he was on the way to becoming excellent and that he was vastly overlooked.

I do have one question though. What factors led to Suter's relatively poor plus-minus rating this year? Minus 15 or something.

triggrman 05-04-2009 09:07 AM

Suter is the better playmaker, the better skater and is better positionally. Weber is more physical, has one of the best shots in the entire league and can man handle oponents in the slot.

You need both. Guys with Weber's size, shot and skating ability are extremely rare. Guys with Suter's ability to see the ice and in both zones are also rare. We have both

barrytrotzsneck 05-04-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 19409540)
Suter is the better playmaker, the better skater and is better positionally. Weber is more physical, has one of the best shots in the entire league and can man handle oponents in the slot.

You need both. Guys with Weber's size, shot and skating ability are extremely rare. Guys with Suter's ability to see the ice and in both zones are also rare. We have both

man, that sounds familiar... ;)

doakacola* 05-27-2009 10:58 AM

I'm a Boston fan, will someone please explain why Suter had such a high negative +/- comapred to not just Weber but everyone other than DeVries? To have a variance like that from Weber leads me to believe that Suter is not good on the cycle and therefore is on ice for more goals against due to puck possesion issues.

I watched about 30 Nashville games on CI and Suter to me is a good O dman, but not nearly as good defensively. He has some trouble stopping the cycle and keeping the slot area clean. I also think people are slightly overrating his skating speed (not agility), he doesn't have possess an extra gear.

I personally take Weber due to his ability to rub out opponents on the boards. That is a huge part of cycle-busting. The NHL is nothing but one big cycle game 5-5.

nine_inch_fang 05-27-2009 11:17 AM

I'm not going through all of the ice time charts and comparing them to when goals were scored to back this up but I know there were at least a handful of goals over the coarse of the year that were 2 vs 1 with Suter left on the ice as Weber changed. It seemed that Weber would usually change first behind the play then Suter would come off. Now I know this doesn't make up for the whole difference but when you add up several things like this you can see where it comes from.


Hell, they played most of their even strength time together. Just another example of how misleading that stat can be when taken out of context and used by itself.

Enoch 05-27-2009 11:54 AM

Oh.....I completely disagree. Suter is the smoothest skater on the team. He weaves through defenses with ease.....WITH EASE. He can skate through the zone at will, and he does so to great affect. Suter and Weber are both extremely strong against the cycle because both are nasty along the boards. Weber is probably a bit weaker positionally in the slot area, but he is obviously better at taking care of buisness physically in front of the net.

I would say Suter is the best defensive defenseman on the team, even better than Hamhuis who relies too much on his stick and is not nearly as effective on the boards. Now, on the PK, I would flip flop Hammer and Suter because positionally, Hamhuis is the best on the team.

darth5 05-27-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 19704668)
snip...I would say Suter is the best defensive defenseman on the team, even better than Hamhuis who relies too much on his stick and is not nearly as effective on the boards. ...

+1
Also, Suter is much stronger than Hamhuis on his skates. How many times did we see Suter engage somebody and push/pull him out to the wall? He uses his strength more subtly but is more effective disrupting a rush than Hamhuis or Weber in many cases.

triggrman 05-27-2009 02:11 PM

Agreed Suter is one of the better skating defensemen in the NHL period, very smooth and has very good speed.

Ratty 06-01-2009 03:31 PM

Not a Preds fan so I didn't participate in the poll, as suggested.
But, is either one available for a trade? I know there would be a lot of demand. What are Nashville's needs and the trade scuttlebut?

Joe T Choker 06-02-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty (Post 19763323)
Not a Preds fan so I didn't participate in the poll, as suggested.
But, is either one available for a trade? I know there would be a lot of demand. What are Nashville's needs and the trade scuttlebut?

a top 6 power forward with puck control

barrytrotzsneck 06-02-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer (Post 19771170)
a top 6 power forward with puck control

if either Suter or Weber are involved, it had better be a top three, not top six.

worstfaceoffmanever 06-02-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty (Post 19763323)
Not a Preds fan so I didn't participate in the poll, as suggested.
But, is either one available for a trade? I know there would be a lot of demand. What are Nashville's needs and the trade scuttlebut?

It seems like we go through this every week or so. The answer is no.

OpenWheel 06-02-2009 02:36 PM

At the right price...

I'm thinking a Hershel Walker type deal. :D

Dark Shadows 06-16-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 19704668)
Oh.....I completely disagree. Suter is the smoothest skater on the team. He weaves through defenses with ease.....WITH EASE. He can skate through the zone at will, and he does so to great affect. Suter and Weber are both extremely strong against the cycle because both are nasty along the boards. Weber is probably a bit weaker positionally in the slot area, but he is obviously better at taking care of buisness physically in front of the net.

I would say Suter is the best defensive defenseman on the team, even better than Hamhuis who relies too much on his stick and is not nearly as effective on the boards. Now, on the PK, I would flip flop Hammer and Suter because positionally, Hamhuis is the best on the team.

Good post.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.