HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Should I replace my helmet because the HECC certification just expired? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=638209)

DJnet65 04-30-2009 11:09 PM

Should I replace my helmet because the HECC certification just expired?
 
I just want to see what some people's opinions are.

I have a Tacks CCM 1052 helmet that the HECC certification expired on Feb-2009

The certification for new helmets is 5 years, i don't think I've had this helmet that long, maybe 3 years.

The helmet is is good condition there is not physical damage to it at all and i am really reluctant to go out and get a new one just because it's no longer HECC certified. I realyy like the helmet it's comforatable and fits me really well. Plus it's another expense i really don't need.

The league i play in requires all players to wear a HECC certified helmet but it very unlikely they will check the expiration date on it. i have never seen any official check any players gear that thoroughly.

I don't think the helmet is unsafe at all, but if my safety is compromised I won't hesitate to replace it.

I'd like to hear some other people's take on this.

Thanks

Saved* 04-30-2009 11:32 PM

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

evgeni71 04-30-2009 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HURAKAN (Post 19367865)
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

If it breaks it might be too late.

I think it'll be fine, as long as you haven't banged it up too badly. But if you can spare the money, I'd buy a new helmet just in case. You don't want to be taking risks with life.

Gino 14 05-01-2009 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJnet65 (Post 19367560)
I just want to see what some people's opinions are.

I have a Tacks CCM 1052 helmet that the HECC certification expired on Feb-2009

The certification for new helmets is 5 years, i don't think I've had this helmet that long, maybe 3 years.

The helmet is is good condition there is not physical damage to it at all and i am really reluctant to go out and get a new one just because it's no longer HECC certified. I realyy like the helmet it's comforatable and fits me really well. Plus it's another expense i really don't need.

The league i play in requires all players to wear a HECC certified helmet but it very unlikely they will check the expiration date on it. i have never seen any official check any players gear that thoroughly.

I don't think the helmet is unsafe at all, but if my safety is compromised I won't hesitate to replace it.

I'd like to hear some other people's take on this.

Thanks

The correct answer is that you should replace the helmet. The materials break down and lose strength, the structural integrity of the helmet may be compromised to the point where it won't give full protection. That being said, if you're comfortable with it and you haven't had any bad impacts with and don't play elite level hockey, you'll be good for a while.

Pittsburgh Proud 05-01-2009 08:57 AM

It's all for lawsuit purposes. Don't worry about it.

Nbr-17 05-01-2009 09:02 AM

The Canadian CSA sticker doesn't have an expiry date on it.
So I'd think it's ok.

noobman 05-01-2009 09:10 AM

When does the HECC certification expire for my player helmet?

Answer:
HECC certification for player helmets is currently five years. The HECC certification sticker affixed to your player helmet provides the date that the HECC certification will end. At the end of the five year limit the player helmet should be replaced with another HECC certified players helmet.



USA Hockey uses HECC whereas Hockey Canada uses the CSA. I don't think that CSA certifications ever expire.

Pioneer13 05-01-2009 09:35 AM

The place the plastic breaks down the most is by the screws. Therefore, if you wear a visor or a cage, I would replace the helmet. I have seen my share of helmets break at the visor screws. If your league involves any hitting or allows any physical play, get a new lid.

vivianmb 05-01-2009 09:44 AM

i've been wearing my current ccm since i last played jr hockey......1990

cptjeff 05-01-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino 14 (Post 19369698)
The correct answer is that you should replace the helmet. The materials break down and lose strength, the structural integrity of the helmet may be compromised to the point where it won't give full protection. That being said, if you're comfortable with it and you haven't had any bad impacts with and don't play elite level hockey, you'll be good for a while.

Thing is, that's really intended for the VN padding helmets like the 452, 652 and 852 in the tacks line, or something like the Bauer 4500. The 1052 has EPP foam, which is a lot harder and doesn't compress against your head, and gel for comfort. The only way it's really going to wear out is with lots of hits to the helmet. The VN padding breaks down a lot easier.

With that helmet, you should not need to replace it for a while.

densetsu 05-01-2009 11:16 AM

^^^ as long as the above is true, then you should be OK.

The problem with old helmets, in my opinion, isn't the shell cracking or becoming fragile; it's the foam hardening and offering less and less protection. If you're diligent with your equipment, then in most cases I'd recommend either replacing the foam or the entire helmet after a five-year period. Gel, on the other hand, has a much longer shelf life.

I do admit that my player's helmet is over 10 years old and I still have the original foam. I should replace it soon, but given that I play out maybe four or five times a year in non-contact beer league games, plus random outdoor skates, I'm not too concerned. My goalie masks, on the other hand... well, let's just say that being addicted to buying new goalie gear has it's advantages when it comes to protection. ;)

Headcoach 05-01-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino 14 (Post 19369698)
The correct answer is that you should replace the helmet. The materials break down and lose strength, the structural integrity of the helmet may be compromised to the point where it won't give full protection. That being said, if you're comfortable with it and you haven't had any bad impacts with and don't play elite level hockey, you'll be good for a while.

As long as he hasn't dropped it into his bag, and then throw the bag in the trunk of the car each time he plays. Then pull the bag out of the trunk and drop it on the pavement. Yeah...replace it!

Head coach

adaminnj 05-01-2009 05:20 PM

you are actually supposed to get a new helmet any time you have any impact with it, and in the states any time the HECC certification expires.

With that said, I know people who are still wearing their old Jofa brain buckets from when they played Junior, or finaly replaced their helmet because the foam was rock hard.

It is your head so you need to decide if it's worth getting a new helmet.
Even with new a helmet you are still at risk for a head injury.

I would just get a new one myself. I just got a mission intake to upgrade from a mission M-15.

my $0.02

Dr Acula 05-01-2009 07:18 PM

With the new EPP foam helmets, you should replace it once you have taken a hit to the head.

rinkrat22 05-01-2009 09:54 PM

try getting a concusion, that will change your mind. spend two weeks living in your basement because the sunlight gives you a headache. all cause you were too cheap to buy a new helmet. I have seen plenty of guys in non contact pickup games loose an edge or get tangled up and hit their heads. why risk it.

Hockeyfan68 05-02-2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckleboy (Post 19380601)
try getting a concusion, that will change your mind. spend two weeks living in your basement because the sunlight gives you a headache. all cause you were too cheap to buy a new helmet. I have seen plenty of guys in non contact pickup games loose an edge or get tangled up and hit their heads. why risk it.

That was my thinking as I recently bought a new helmet. I have a few old CCM helmets in the closet as well as an old Cooper SK2000 helmet. All of them were beat to heck and had the foam reglued by me with contact cement as they unglued because they were old. The foam was harder than it should be too from age.

I hated replacing my black helmet I wear when I play now that is a new Bauer H4000 series. I like a basic helmet and I suppose I could buy one of those fancy expensive ones with the extra protection and stuff.

You can never be too safe with the head honestly.

rinkrat22 05-03-2009 09:27 AM

and for the record I have had a couple of concussions, from hockey and from work. trust me they SUCK.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.