HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Trading the Top 11 Immovable Contracts (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=638565)

JawandaPuck 05-02-2009 12:50 AM

Trading the Top 11 Immovable Contracts

Quote:

Originally Posted by twenty2 (Post 18958692)

I've grouped these players with some logic to make potential transactions more visible.

Forwards
Big Cap Hit and Long
?Vincent Lecavalier (TBL) - $7.73m 7 more years
-Danny Briere (PHI) - $6.50m 6 more years
-Scott Gomez (NYR) - $7.36m 5 more years
*Shawn Horcoff - 6 years @ 5.5 million (corrected)

Big Cap Hit
?Brad Richards (DAL) - $7.80m 2 more years
-Chris Drury (NYR) - $7.05m 3 more years
*Ryan Smyth - 3 years @ 6.25 million

Intermediate
-Mike Fisher (OTT) - $4.20m 4 more years
-Micahel Nylander (WAS) - $4.88m 2 more years
*Jason Blake - 3 years @ 4 million
*Sean Avery - 3 years @ 4 million
*Radim Vrbata - 2 years @ 3 million

Defenseman
Big Cap Hit and Long
-Brian Campbell (CHI) - $7.14m 7 more years
-Wade Redden (NYR) - $6.50m 5 more years

Big Cap Hit
*Michal Rozsival - 3 years @ 5 million
?Ed Jovanovski - 1 years@ 6.5 million

Intermediate
-Jeff Finger (TOR) - $3.50m 3 more years
*Jay McKee - 1 years @ 4 million

Goalies
*Rick Dipietro - 12 years @ 4.5 million
*Cristobel Huet - 3 years @ 5.6 million
?Jose Theodore - 1 year @ 4.5

Nominated
?Miikka Kiprusoff - 5 more yrs @ $5.83mm (that was a real good CHI team they faced in the POs)
?Ryan Malone - 6 more yrs @ $4.5mm (get him in the POs and he'll show his value)
?Brian Rolston - 3 more yrs @ $5mm (on his last legs though still fairly fast legs?)
?Vaclav Prospal - 3 years @ 3.5 million (not that bad)
?JP Dumont - 3 years @ 4 million (still good value)
?Michal Handzus - 2 years @ 4 million (good value, only a couple years left)
?Patrice Bergeron (BOS) - $4.75m 2 more years (young, still time to re-cover value)
?Dustin Penner - $4.25mm 3 more years (new coach coming and lets see this big body in the POs again, a la Dustin Byfuglien, Matt Bradley and Dave Steckel)

Key
* nominated and added based on general sentiment
? considered to be borderline "immovable contract" based on general sentiment

Okay, lets say the above are the toughest contracts for their team's respective GMs to move. This is especially true when the GM is seeking to obtain equal production value. But that may be easier to do, if the GM was to consider taking back just as difficult a salary in return.

So then, what are some possible trades involving only these players exchanged for one another? I'll kick things off:

1. How about PHI Briere for CHI Campbell -- similar size deals, and IMO, each team will be addressing a position of relative weakness in relation to the position they are trading from, ie, PHI has plenty of quality forwards but could use another defenseman and so the additional salary may justify the swap. For CHI, they could add a center if Phalsson (UFA) leaves this summer, and replace the points of Havlat (also a UFA this summer). CHI would get to dump some salary but would take on the risk of Briere's injury history -- perhaps a fair tradeoff. Opinions?

Update: General Feedback so far suggests bad trade for PHI (at least two posters).

2. DAL Richards for OTT Fisher -- different types of players. OTT finally has two top centers, one for Heatley and one for Alfredsson. DAL adds the extra years of Fisher's contract but frees up cap space in effect that still remains from the departed Avery. They also add a different dimension to their center ice lineup, something that may be needed considering the top center is Ribeiro and they have good finesse wingers on the second line. Opinions?

Update: General feedback is, bad trade for DAL (at least two posters).

We've increased the pool of players to transact above. So, what other possibilities do you see?

3. How about NYR Gomez for CHI Campbell (based on same logic as #1 proposal)?

4. NYR Drury for CHI Campbell (suggested by poster but says "it will never happen").

Doug Height 05-02-2009 01:04 AM

Forgot Rick DiPietro.:D

HabsInsideOut 05-02-2009 01:11 AM

I don't think Bergeron has that bad of a contract

massivegoonery 05-02-2009 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsInsideOut (Post 19382453)
I don't think Bergeron has that bad of a contract

Huet's is worse.

JawandaPuck 05-02-2009 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustWin (Post 19382416)

:nod: I agree.

But I'm working with a well vetted list from another's thread. I guess DiPietro was an "asterik" class contract not even worth mentioning.

oilers_guy_eddie 05-02-2009 01:30 AM

I can't believe how underrated Horcoff is around here. His contract is easily one of the 10 most immovable, maybe even top 5. How can Horcoff get left off this list? :shakehead

Theron 05-02-2009 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie (Post 19382537)
I can't believe how underrated Horcoff is around here. His contract is easily one of the 10 most immovable, maybe even top 5. How can Horcoff get left off this list? :shakehead

you mean overated ? yea 7 mill next year.. thats crazy :laugh:

iPunch 05-02-2009 01:36 AM

I'd say Blakes contract is worse than Fingers, if only for term. We'll be paying Blake well past his prime.

Ogi1Kenobi 05-02-2009 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JawandaPuck (Post 19382346)

2. DAL Richards for OTT Fisher -- different types of players. OTT finally has two top centers, one for Heatley and one for Alfredsson. DAL adds the extra years of Fisher's contract but frees up cap space in effect that still remains from the departed Avery. They also add a different dimension to their center ice lineup, something that may be needed considering the top center is Ribeiro and they have good finesse wingers on the second line. Opinions?

This definitely won't happen. When the Stars lost Richards in the second half of the season our PP disappeared completely (Richards was Zubov's replacement as the PPQB) Dallas was 6th in the conference and when he went down they landed at the 11th position. Besides this trade doesn't benefit Dallas at all. Richie is a solid playoff performer, he adds more depth down the middle, plays almost every position on the team, and just got traded to Dallas last year. There is no reason for Jackson to move him again. Especially since he has a NTC.

trentmccleary 05-02-2009 08:57 AM

I would rather have Fisher, Nylander or Bergeron's contracts than Lupul's or Penner's contracts.

ELab2 05-02-2009 08:58 AM

I wouldn't take Campbell and a 1st for Briere. I have no interest in having Brian Campbell on the Flyers blueline. He doesn't fit the teams needs at all.

JustinCider 05-02-2009 09:22 AM

Horcoff is on a bad contract, but it's not top 10, besides, it's a 5.5 cap hit, not 7. It's just front weighted. The guy is a solid player, does everything good, just nothing great. He should be in the 4 to 4.5 range per, not 5.5 . Now penner @ 4.25 for 3 more years is a much worse contract than a lot of guys.

CREW99AW 05-02-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustWin (Post 19382416)

Yeah as much as I love watching DiPi play,that contract's an albatross(sp) with his recent injuries. :(

projexns 05-02-2009 09:37 AM

I don't think any player on these lists will be traded for another player on these lists.

redmachine54 05-02-2009 09:38 AM

I find Hamrlik's contract at $5.5 million for two more seasons to be harder to move than Bergeron's. You could definitely get some takers for Bergeron even in spite of his injury, but Hamrlik would only look attractive to teams looking to reach the cap floor. He's also got a limited NTC on it.

projexns 05-02-2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmachine54 (Post 19383733)
I find Hamrlik's contract at $5.5 million for two more seasons to be harder to move than Bergeron's. You could definitely get some takers for Bergeron even in spite of his injury, but Hamrlik would only look attractive to teams looking to reach the cap floor. He's also got a limited NTC on it.

I hope for Bergeron's sake he stays right where he is and can get a healthy, injury-free (free of head injuries) season under his belt.

If he goes to another team as a top-line center, he's going to have a target on his chest.

If he plays behind Savard and Krejci in Boston, a healthy season stands a better chance. Then the Bruins can evaluate what to do vis-a-vis Savardís pending UFA status.

duffy9748 05-02-2009 09:53 AM

The back end of Brieres contract isn't 6.5 per year. It's front loaded. It goes down to as low as 2 mil per year i believe.

JTG 05-02-2009 10:01 AM

Lecavalier and Bergeron don't have bad contracts.

Nizdizzle 05-02-2009 10:39 AM

Leafs management like Finger, and his contract. So we solved that one.

RJ8812 05-02-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELab2 (Post 19383468)
I wouldn't take Campbell and a 1st for Briere. I have no interest in having Brian Campbell on the Flyers blueline. He doesn't fit the teams needs at all.

i agree 100%

not only is his contract longer, but it's also a higher cap hit.

to top it off, all CHI fans have talked about is how bad he's been for them this year

RJ8812 05-02-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffy9748 (Post 19383834)
The back end of Brieres contract isn't 6.5 per year. It's front loaded. It goes down to as low as 2 mil per year i believe.

the cap hit still doesnt change

but yes, that would make it easier for other "smaller market" teams to be interested in him. the only problem is it doesnt go significantly down 'til 13/14

09/10: $8m
10/11: $7m
11/12: $7m
12/13: $7m
13/14: $3m
14/15: $2m

AlMo 05-02-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Okay, lets say the above are the toughest 11 contracts for their team's respective GMs to move. This is especially true when the GM is seeking to obtain equal production value. But that may be easier to do, if the GM was to consider taking back just as difficult a salary in return.

So then, what are some possible trades involving only these players exchanged for one another? I've grouped these players with some logic to make potential transactions more visible.

Forwards
Big Cap Hit and Long
-Vincent Lecavalier (TBL) - $7.73m 7 more years
-Danny Briere (PHI) - $6.50m 6 more years
-Scott Gomez (NYR) - $7.36m 5 more years

Big Cap Hit
-Brad Richards (DAL) - $7.80m 2 more years
-Chris Drury (NYR) - $7.05m 3 more years

Intermediate
-Mike Fisher (OTT) - $4.20m 4 more years
-Patrice Bergeron (BOS) - $4.75m 2 more years
-Micahel Nylander (WAS) - $4.88m 2 more years

Defenseman
Big Cap Hit and Long
-Brian Campbell (CHI) - $7.14m 7 more years
-Wade Redden (NYR) - $6.50m 5 more years

Intermediate
-Jeff Finger (TOR) - $3.50m 3 more years

I'll kick things off:

1. How about PHI Briere for CHI Campbell -- similar size deals, and IMO, each team will be addressing a position of relative weakness in relation to the position they are trading from, ie, PHI has plenty of quality forwards but could use another defenseman and so the additional salary may justify the swap. For CHI, they could add a center if Phalsson (UFA) leaves this summer, and replace the points of Havlat (also a UFA this summer). CHI would get to dump some salary but would take on the risk of Briere's injury history -- perhaps a fair tradeoff. Opinions?

What other possibilities do you see?

I really don't think Bergeron's contract is a problem. He proved he can be a PPG player, concussions have slowed him down this season. If Bergeron scores a PPG that contract is well worth it. IMO, Bergeron will get back on track next season.

SiouxPride 05-02-2009 11:19 AM

PB's contract is great.
Horcoff on the otherhand..

vofty 05-02-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

The only thing that is kind of set in stone in regards to Richard's wingers is Eriksson, the other wing fluctuated constantly. But they usually tried to fill it with a physical winger in Sutherby, Ludqvist (who won't be back), and Petersen (who granted isn't physical). When Richard's went down the lines went to crap so you can't really look at that. My guess is Sutherby will start on the other wing, which would make that line offensively productive, and very defensively responsible. Bottom line Stars have no desire/need to move Richards.

AlMo 05-02-2009 11:40 AM

Brian Campbell - 7 years @ 7.1 million cap hit
Cristobel Huet - 3 years @ 5.6 million
Ryan Smyth - 3 years @ 6.25 million
Brad Richards - 2 years @ 7.8 million
Sean Avery - 3 years @ 4 million
Shawn Horcoff - 4 years @ 6.5 million
Michal Handzus - 2 years @ 4 million
JP Dumont - 3 years @ 4 million
Rick Dipietro - 12 years @ 4.5 million
Scott Gomez - 4 years @ 7.357
Chris Drury - 3 years @ 7 million