HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Dogs add Danis, Flood and Robinson (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=63876)

NWT Habs Fan 03-21-2004 02:07 PM

Dogs add Danis, Flood and Robinson

The Hamilton Bulldogs have added three players: Goalie Yann Danis who was recently signed by the Habs, Forward Brent Robinson of Brown University and Mark Flood from the Petes in the OHL. The latter two are on an amatuer try out.

http://www.canoe.ca/Bulldogs/News/20...21/390716.html

db23 03-21-2004 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
The Hamilton Bulldogs have added three players: Goalie Yann Danis who was recently signed by the Habs, Forward Brent Robinson of Brown University and Mark Flood from the Petes in the OHL. The latter two are on an amatuer try out.

http://www.canoe.ca/Bulldogs/News/20...21/390716.html

Brent Robinson could prove to be the real sleeper here. He has been at Brown the past four years with Danis. Danis had a career 2.30 GAAvg. which everyone makes a big deal about, but the team played a completely defensive game and actually averaged less goals scored per game than 2.30 over the past 4 seasons. Still, Brent Robinson managed to average nearly a point per game in his career there. A lot of NCAA teams, especially in the West, averaged about tice as many goals per game as Brown. If you had a big, solid, smart, two way winger graduating from Minnesota or North Dakota with a 2 point per game career average, the NHL teams would be lined up at the door with offers.

For me, Robinson's career at Brown is as impressive as Danis', even though he didn't get the same awards. If you compare him to Jeff Taffe, who was a top pick in 2000, which would have been Robinson's draft year, Taffe scored 113 points in 120 NCAA games with Minnesota, while Robinson scored 99 points in 120 NCAA games with Brown. Considering the fact that Minnesota as a team scored over twice as many goals over that period of time than Brown, it makes Robinson's accompishments more impressive. The two players are the same size and age roughly.

Razorblade 03-21-2004 03:00 PM

Looks like a great move for the Dogs, they definitely needed help in goal, and if Danis is as good as hyped, he could push both Michaud and Damphousse out. Their forward depth has definitely been thinned out over the past few weeks, and Robinson should get some time on the 3rd or 4th line. I'm a little surprised they decided to bring Flood in, even though it is just a try-out, as they've got a pretty good defensive unit with Beauchemin, Hainsey, Cote, Traverse, Plante, Vydareny, and Archer as a 7th d-man. But, in case of injury its always to build up depth, as they look like they could go deep with the addition of these guys.

db23 03-21-2004 03:13 PM

Flood is one of their draftees from last season. I think he has completed his junior career, unless he returns as an overager. This will be a chance to look at him up close to see if he warrants a contract. Robinson could be valuable as a checking forward.

habitants9_4 03-21-2004 03:21 PM

Flood will only continue to add depth to the defense incase any injuries or call ups happen. Flood was better in the OHL then Archer was, so I see this as a good move. As for Danis that was no surprise, but Robinson! Doesn't look like Hamilton is too confident in their offense at the moment, with all the deals that have happened (Balej, Svitov) the Dogs might need another top 6 forward to add to Gratton, Plekanec, Hossa, Higgins and Perezhogin. Suomervuori is like Montreal's Jan Bulis, solid in an offensive role, great skater, but more effective when on the 3rd line.

Marc the Habs Fan 03-21-2004 03:34 PM

How good is Robinson? does he seriously have a shot at the NHL?

Cloudigger 03-21-2004 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db23
Brent Robinson could prove to be the real sleeper here. He has been at Brown the past four years with Danis. Danis had a career 2.30 GAAvg. which everyone makes a big deal about, but the team played a completely defensive game and actually averaged less goals scored per game than 2.30 over the past 4 seasons. Still, Brent Robinson managed to average nearly a point per game in his career there. A lot of NCAA teams, especially in the West, averaged about tice as many goals per game as Brown. If you had a big, solid, smart, two way winger graduating from Minnesota or North Dakota with a 2 point per game career average, the NHL teams would be lined up at the door with offers.

For me, Robinson's career at Brown is as impressive as Danis', even though he didn't get the same awards. If you compare him to Jeff Taffe, who was a top pick in 2000, which would have been Robinson's draft year, Taffe scored 113 points in 120 NCAA games with Minnesota, while Robinson scored 99 points in 120 NCAA games with Brown. Considering the fact that Minnesota as a team scored over twice as many goals over that period of time than Brown, it makes Robinson's accompishments more impressive. The two players are the same size and age roughly.

hmm now im pretty sure im not alone on this one, but how does the future looks like for him... is he signed by Montreal ?? will he be????

thank you in advance

edit : yeah yeah brainfart :joker:

Habsent 03-21-2004 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloudigger
hmm now im pretty sure im not alone on this one .. but who is Brown... is he signed by Montreal ?? will he be????

you seam pretty high on him... Im just curious.. I went on hockeydb and this player seam intriguing..

thank you in advance

Good one! :joker: You're kidding, right?

db23 03-21-2004 03:53 PM

Quote:

hmm now im pretty sure im not alone on this one .. but who is Brown... is he signed by Montreal ?? will he be????

you seam pretty high on him... Im just curious.. I went on hockeydb and this player seam intriguing..

thank you in advance

I've never seen him play, but he has decent size, scored well considering the team he was on, and was an Academic All American so he must be fairly bright. I think that he would be a natural as a checking winger because of the team and league he played in, and the fact that he should be fairly mature at 22.

turnbuckle* 03-21-2004 04:03 PM

He he. What info did you find on Brown, Cloudigger? I guess if you combine all of the Browns' stats, it is indeed pretty impressive.

Cloudigger 03-21-2004 04:13 PM

DUH!!!!! I meant Robinson... and I meant for the future ( sorry about all the confusion... )

yeah .. guess its one of those days... :rolly:

Habsent 03-21-2004 04:41 PM

Quote:

DUH!!!!! I meant Robinson... and I meant for the future ( sorry about all the confusion... )

yeah .. guess its one of those days... :rolly:

By the way, Brown is from the town of Charter (biggest bus terminal in the world), five minutes from my homeplace.

Seriously, I'm curious to see what Flood can do in the AHL. He's tagged as a very good offensive Ds. He's listed as 180, I hope he's bigger now.

didjuicythat 03-21-2004 04:47 PM

This isn't exactly the thread to post this, but I didn't feel the need to start a new thread only for that... Red Line Report has published its newest prospect report (March 19th) on USA Today's website, and here's the link:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...woodlief_x.htm

Interesting to note that Mike Green is in the "Stock Rising" category. Says he rarely makes mistakes, is good offensively and loves to distribute hits...

ttnorm 03-21-2004 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db23

I have seen Robinson, a good college player, about a dozen times. He's a good college player but the skill set is not there. The comparisons to Taffe and Danis are absurd. Robinson is a 3-4th line AHL or ECHL guy at best.

db23 03-22-2004 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttnorm
I have seen Robinson, a good college player, about a dozen times. He's a good college player but the skill set is not there. The comparisons to Taffe and Danis are absurd. Robinson is a 3-4th line AHL or ECHL guy at best.

I was thinking AHL sleeper. That is what he is trying out for. Robinson seems to have all the elements to be a good checking winger at the AHL level at least. He led Brown in scoring his last three seasons there. When a team's games average about 4.5 total goals per game over several seasons, it is obvious they are playing a very tight checking style. For him to score nearly as many points as Taffe, a first rounder, in the same number of NCAA games when the Gophers averaged over 5 goals per game themselves during the same period of time is worth consideration.