HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Calgary-Florida (The Hockey News) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=638788)

Bob Barker 05-02-2009 09:33 PM

Calgary-Florida (The Hockey News)
 
This was in the most recent issue of the Hockey News. Wondering what you folks thought.

"Here's a trade proposal that helps both teams. Calgary deals Dion Phaneuf to Florida for a sign-and-trade Jay Bouwmeester and a first round pick. Bouwmeester is leaving the Panthers as a UFA anyway and Phaneuf is a nice return for the 14th overall pick. The trade helps the Flames because they get a steadier two-way defenseman and a first-rounder. Phanuef had a terrible season in Calgary."

Flame away, and hold nothing back... Wasn't my idea!

kingpest19 05-02-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Barker (Post 19392271)
This was in the most recent issue of the Hockey News. Wondering what you folks thought.

"Here's a trade proposal that helps both teams. Calgary deals Dion Phaneuf to Florida for a sign-and-trade Jay Bouwmeester and a first round pick. Bouwmeester is leaving the Panthers as a UFA anyway and Phaneuf is a nice return for the 14th overall pick. The trade helps the Flames because they get a steadier two-way defenseman and a first-rounder. Phanuef had a terrible season in Calgary."

Flame away, and hold nothing back... Wasn't my idea!

I love that line. Of course this trade favors Calgary when they get the better defenseman and a 1st rounder back.

boredmale 05-02-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingpest19 (Post 19392401)
I love that line. Of course this trade favors Calgary when they get the better defenseman and a 1st rounder back.

When you consider JBo is a UFA 5 days after the draft I say it's a good deal for FLA, Calgary might be better off just waiting till July 1 to see if they can sign JBo then Trade Phaneuf for much more then the 14th pick.

CREW99AW 05-02-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Barker (Post 19392271)
This was in the most recent issue of the Hockey News. Wondering what you folks thought.

"Here's a trade proposal that helps both teams. Calgary deals Dion Phaneuf to Florida for a sign-and-trade Jay Bouwmeester and a first round pick. Bouwmeester is leaving the Panthers as a UFA anyway and Phaneuf is a nice return for the 14th overall pick. The trade helps the Flames because they get a steadier two-way defenseman and a first-rounder. Phanuef had a terrible season in Calgary."

Flame away, and hold nothing back... Wasn't my idea!

It's not bad valuewise,but with JayBo about to become a ufa in about 60 days,I can't see why he would agree to a sign and trade.Why not see what offers are put out there on July 1st?

Laus723 05-02-2009 10:01 PM

A. It's not concrete that "Bouw's leaving FL anyway." Many of us don't expect him to be back, but in a recent interview when as part of a question it was brought up that most think he's definitely not coming back, Bouw said that he never said that and that his mind truly wasn't made up. Take that for what it's worth, but all he had to give was his usual we'll see.

B. I don't think Martin would do that, and how many times has a news outlet offered up something that actually came true.

C. Would love to have Phanuef!

kingpest19 05-02-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredmale (Post 19392462)
When you consider JBo is a UFA 5 days after the draft I say it's a good deal for FLA, Calgary might be better off just waiting till July 1 to see if they can sign JBo then Trade Phaneuf for much more then the 14th pick.

Except the article states its a sign and trade deal and not just trading a UFA Bouwmeester and the 14th for Phaneuf.

boredmale 05-02-2009 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingpest19 (Post 19392999)
Except the article states its a sign and trade deal and not just trading a UFA Bouwmeester and the 14th for Phaneuf.

I understand that and think Clagary would be stupid not to do it otherwise. If I am getting Jay-Bo signed sealed an delivered I would do it from a Clagary perspective, but there is always the option of waiting a few days signing him as a UFA and getting way more value back for Phaneuf. So it's not an easy win deal from a Calgary perspective in that reguard(ie if they played there cards right they could get much more back)

kingpest19 05-02-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredmale (Post 19393061)
I understand that and think Clagary would be stupid not to do it otherwise. If I am getting Jay-Bo signed sealed an delivered I would do it from a Clagary perspective, but there is always the option of waiting a few days signing him as a UFA and getting way more value back for Phaneuf. So it's not an easy win deal from a Calgary perspective in that reguard(ie if they played there cards right they could get much more back)

And Ill agree with that. If they could get a signed Bouw and the 14th pick they would take that and run all day everyday and twice on Sundays. But this proposal is pretty bad by people who are supposed to be sort of good about this kind of thing.

Laus723 05-02-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredmale (Post 19393061)
I understand that and think Clagary would be stupid not to do it otherwise. If I am getting Jay-Bo signed sealed an delivered I would do it from a Clagary perspective, but there is always the option of waiting a few days signing him as a UFA and getting way more value back for Phaneuf. So it's not an easy win deal from a Calgary perspective in that reguard(ie if they played there cards right they could get much more back)

The plus would be Calgary being the first and only allowed to talk to him as opposed to all 30 teams getting an audience.

harv3317 05-04-2009 06:05 PM

if jay signs with calgary the cats should get phanuef and a pick, not the other way around!!!

eb_87 05-04-2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harv3317 (Post 19416132)
if jay signs with calgary the cats should get phanuef and a pick, not the other way around!!!

:laugh: Why would Calgary trade Phaneuf and a pick when they could sign him as a free-agent and unload Phaneuf for a lot more.

avengedsevenfold 05-04-2009 07:06 PM

Why don't Calgary trade Phaneuf at the draft and take their chances at getting J-Bo on July 1st

Zubrus Coffee Maker 05-04-2009 08:52 PM

ha ha, THN needs to quit making proposals....

CanadianPantherFan 05-05-2009 03:21 AM

Dion,no thanks. I'm not a fan of his game. I have seen him play live here enough,and Panthers are my team. I am probably the best judge of his game from an outsider. Not to say the return is not bad,I'd rather look elsewhere. I can see why Calgary would want the 1st rounder ,but if it's a sign and trade maybe more like a 2nd rounder because Bou would be SIGNED long term.

AlMo 05-05-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Barker (Post 19392271)
This was in the most recent issue of the Hockey News. Wondering what you folks thought.

"Here's a trade proposal that helps both teams. Calgary deals Dion Phaneuf to Florida for a sign-and-trade Jay Bouwmeester and a first round pick. Bouwmeester is leaving the Panthers as a UFA anyway and Phaneuf is a nice return for the 14th overall pick. The trade helps the Flames because they get a steadier two-way defenseman and a first-rounder. Phanuef had a terrible season in Calgary."

Flame away, and hold nothing back... Wasn't my idea!

You don't give away players like Phaneuf for negotiating rights. IMO, that is terrible asset management. It makes much more sense to make him a contract offer on July 1st, if he accepts the Flames could use Dion as bait to fill other holes. I sometimes think people place too much value in negotiating rights.
BTW, this would be a fantastic deal for the Cats, they get someone to replace Bouw that is younger an signed long term for pretty much the 14th overall pick (they are losing Bouw no matter).

vocquat 05-06-2009 11:36 AM

it's not negotiating rights, Florida signs Bouw and then trades him to Calgary. So the signing happens before the trade. (Obviously the signing would only happen if Bouw knows he'll go to Calgary). But still, it is ridiculous to believe that the Flames would deal away Phaneuf for a guy they can have as a UFA (especially since such a trade happening would imply that Bouw wants to go to Calgary). I dont think the Panthers will get anything for Bouwmeester.

Dick Whitman 05-06-2009 12:24 PM

Is it official that Bouwmeester will not re-sign in Florida? has he come out and said this? I'll believe it when I see it. My money is on him staying there.

CaptainCrunch67 05-06-2009 01:14 PM

If the Flames were interested in Bouwmeester, why not wait for him to become a free agent, sign him, and if they get him, they can turn around and trade Phaneuf to a team that desparate for a young defenseman like Florida for a top 6 forward and a draft pick.

Thats better asset management.

1025* 05-06-2009 02:13 PM

I wouldn't trade a 7th rounder for Phanuef, let alone giving up a first for him.

He's a pylon, and with Phanuef + McCabe combo, you are gonna have a lot of SH goals against.

PotaGuitar 05-06-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1025 (Post 19445520)
I wouldn't trade a 7th rounder for Phanuef, let alone giving up a first for him.

He's a pylon, and with Phanuef + McCabe combo, you are gonna have a lot of SH goals against.

http://blog.infinitemonkeysblog.com/...ll.preview.jpg

Iggy-4-50 05-07-2009 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1025 (Post 19445520)
I wouldn't trade a 7th rounder for Phanuef, let alone giving up a first for him.

You got my vote.

Pilon post of 2009 award...congrats Mr Vancouver fan. :shakehead

Ragnar 05-07-2009 02:57 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why would Bouwmeester agree to the sign-and-trade when he could just wait until July 1st, become a free agent, and get a better deal and/or go wherever he wants?

SenatorArmy 05-07-2009 03:03 AM

wow so they get J-Bo AND a first?

Frankly I think J-Bo may actually have a higher value than Phaneuf right now, so a pick may actually have to be heading the other way...& I doubt it'd be a first

vocquat 05-07-2009 03:23 AM

Bouw might have more value than Phaneuf, for the team that has him. Florida would wind up with nothing if he goes UFA, so getting Phaneuf for a 1st is pretty nice for Florida.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.