HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trade bait (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=63984)

not quite yoda 03-21-2004 10:12 PM

Trade bait

What team should try to acquire a young (26) up and coming no1 with loads of potential with a modest contract (1.5M$ a year)?

The return expected on a trade for him would be a very good, young skater (24 and under) or blue chip prospect. A top 10 draft pick would also be acceptable.

Cerebral 03-21-2004 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espion
What team should try to acquire a young (26) up and coming no1 with loads of potential with a modest contract (1.5M$ a year)?

The return expected on a trade for him would be a very good, young skater (24 and under) or blue chip prospect. A top 10 draft pick would also be acceptable.

You're not going to get a top 10 draft pick for Garon.. I might be willing to offer Chimera + a low pick if the Conklin/Markkanen tandem don't work out but certainly not an early first rounder. A lot of goaltenders are available on the market and I don't believe any of them will go for that steep a price..

not quite yoda 03-21-2004 10:23 PM

Sorry but I wanna get several replies for this "type of player" before I unveil his name. It's kinda obvious though.

If you're reffering to Yakoubov and Vorobiev... no deal. Quality, not quantity. 1 for 1 deal.

not quite yoda 03-21-2004 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral
You're not going to get a top 10 draft pick for Garon..

lol. Was I that obvious? Well a 24 or under good skater or blue chip prospect are also welcome.

What use is Chimera? To anybody? He's a totaly ordinary checking winger. Garon is good enough to be a quality no1. Right now.

Cerebral 03-21-2004 10:26 PM

Quote:

lol. Was I that obvious? Well a 24 or under good skater or blue chip prospect are also welcome.

Heh fairly obvious.. plus I knew you were a Habs fan :D I'd argue that Chimera is not a "totally ordinary checking winger" just based on his skating ability alone. He's certainly not a bluechip prospect but he's far from completely ordinary..

Big McLargehuge 03-21-2004 10:27 PM

someone is overvaluing his player a little bit...

not quite yoda 03-21-2004 10:35 PM

Quote:

I'd argue that Chimera is not a "totally ordinary checking winger" just based on his skating ability alone. He's certainly not a bluechip prospect but he's far from completely ordinary..

Chimera: 6 feet, 210 pounds. 4 goals, 12 points. -1. Plays 10 minutes a game. 20th scorer on a team that may not make the playoffs. He has less points than Oates (barf) this season.

What in the world makes him better than an ordinary 3rd line checker? His stats are very ordinary. Skating ability doesn't make a good hockey player. Skating ability makes a good figure skater.

No Garon for you.

Cerebral 03-21-2004 10:54 PM

Quote:

Chimera: 6 feet, 210 pounds. 4 goals, 12 points. -1. Plays 10 minutes a game. 20th scorer on a team that may not make the playoffs. He has less points than Oates (barf) this season.

What in the world makes him better than an ordinary 3rd line checker? His stats are very ordinary. Skating ability doesn't make a good hockey player. Skating ability makes a good figure skater.

No Garon for you.

First off, Chimera is 6'2, not 6 feet. He has had a fairly poor season (sophomore jinx methinks) but he also managed to score 14 goals in 66 games. He is also only 23 years old and thus has a lot of time to improve his game. He is one of the fastest if not the fastest skater in the league and he cannot be judged simply based on his stats so far this season. In any event, this thread is about Garon and not my thoughts on Chimera. Garon is a fairly solid goaltender but he is also 26 years old. He has proven he is a very solid backup goaltender and he definitely has the potential to be a starter on some teams. However, most teams are fairly confident with their goaltending situation at the moment and it doesn't look like the market for goaltenders will be much better at the end of the season. You'll be extremely disappointed if you're looking for a bluechip prospect or early first rounder as you're not likely to get it..

Cerebral 03-21-2004 10:56 PM

Quote:

Skating ability doesn't make a good hockey player. Skating ability makes a good figure skater.

The ability to skate is one of the most important skills a hockey player needs to possess.. do you think Gartner or Coffey would have been half the players they were if they weren't great skaters? Skating ability isn't everything but it is definitely a very very important skill..

Randall Graves* 03-21-2004 11:06 PM

I think Petr Sykora from the Ducks is trade bait, he may get to 60 points but I think he will be traded.

defensive prospects or a proven top 4 defensemen would probably get a deal done.

not quite yoda 03-21-2004 11:44 PM

Quote:

He is also only 23 years old He is one of the fastest if not the fastest skater in the league and he cannot be judged simply based on his stats so far this season. However, most teams are fairly confident with their goaltending situation at the moment and it doesn't look like the market for goaltenders will be much better at the end of the season. You'll be extremely disappointed if you're looking for a bluechip prospect or early first rounder as you're not likely to get it..

Yeah well the Oilers have always gone with young players... Chimera is 23 and if he is close to being "the fastest skater in the league" and an "above average checker"... I fail to understand why he only plays an average of 10 minutes a game. Sophmore jinx or not, 10 minutes is pretty weak.

Yes I do agree that the Goalie market is already saturated. I am afraid it will be even worse a year from now when Motoya and Schwarz will be drafted. Considering that Danis has just joined the farm, I figure it's a good time to start considering a move.

Some team (that is willing to give up a decent player ) must be looking for a young no1 keeper. Garon should be ready.

I figure the Kings, Canucks, Rangers and Leafs may make good trading partners.

Cerebral 03-22-2004 12:01 AM

Quote:

Yeah well the Oilers have always gone with young players... Chimera is 23 and if he is close to being "the fastest skater in the league" and an "above average checker"... I fail to understand why he only plays an average of 10 minutes a game. Sophmore jinx or not, 10 minutes is pretty weak.

Yes I do agree that the Goalie market is already saturated. I am afraid it will be even worse a year from now when Motoya and Schwarz will be drafted. Considering that Danis has just joined the farm, I figure it's a good time to start considering a move.

Some team (that is willing to give up a decent player ) must be looking for a young no1 keeper. Garon should be ready.

I figure the Kings, Canucks, Rangers and Leafs may make good trading partners.

Fair enough.. I think Vancouver is fairly confident with Cloutier/Auld, the Rangers have Blackburn back next year (I think at least..). However, Toronto might be willing to pony up something if they don't go after Gerber and Los Angeles seem to be in need of a young starter to fit in with their youth core.

GoneFullHextall 03-22-2004 01:40 AM

LA could make a run at Gerber. Chechmanek it appears has lost his starting goaltender position to Huet.
Chechmanek might be on his way to getting the Arturs Irbe treatment.
ok maybe not that far but still that would be funny as hell

me2 03-22-2004 02:31 AM

Quote:

Fair enough.. I think Vancouver is fairly confident with Cloutier/Auld, the Rangers have Blackburn back next year (I think at least..). However, Toronto might be willing to pony up something if they don't go after Gerber and Los Angeles seem to be in need of a young starter to fit in with their youth core.

Cloutier has been pretty mixed this year. He could be on his way out at the end of the year if he flunks in the playoffs. The problem is Auld (age 23), he's played solidly as a Nuck in his 6 games this year for a sv% .929 (.939 in 7 games last year). If the Nucks get Garon do they go with Garon-Auld combination? That seems a bit risky to me. Do they jettison Auld to bring in an experienced vet to cover for Garon? My thinking is if they dump Cloutier they will bring in someone capable of being a #1 with more experience than Garon, Auld can back him up. I could see them thinking about Gerber, then again if Clouts stink and there is a lockout, why rush?

leafaholix* 03-22-2004 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyKiller
I think Petr Sykora from the Ducks is trade bait, he may get to 60 points but I think he will be traded.

defensive prospects or a proven top 4 defensemen would probably get a deal done.

No way he's worth that much.

NJ traded a 80 point Sykora for Friesen (2nd/3rd liner), a statistically declining offensive defenseman (Tverdovsky coming off a 30 point season), and a bust (Maxim Balmochnykh).

NJ also sent one of their top 10 prospects (Clemmensen) as well as Igor Pohanka and JF Damphousse to Anaheim in the trade.

There's no chance Sykora's worth a proven top 4 defenseman, especially since he's 2 years old, his numbers have taken a huge beating in Anaheim, and he's got a $4,000,000 contract.

andora 03-22-2004 05:04 AM

i think you meant commodore

Kevin Forbes 03-22-2004 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafaholix
There's no chance Sykora's worth a proven top 4 defenseman, especially since he's 2 years old, his numbers have taken a huge beating in Anaheim, and he's got a $4,000,000 contract.

At the time of the trade, Sykora was a 48 point player, not an 80 point player, so I question you saying his numbers took a huge beating in Anaheim. Anaheim plays a defensive system similar to New Jersey and he has registered his 2nd best goal output here as well as both seasons in Anaheim he has gone beyond the output of his final year in New Jersey.

leafaholix* 03-22-2004 06:25 AM

Wow, NJ scored 295 goals in 2000/01 (Sykora's 80 point season) and then 205 in 2001/02... when Sykora scored 48.

What happened there?

(curious).

McDonald19 03-22-2004 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
LA could make a run at Gerber. Chechmanek it appears has lost his starting goaltender position to Huet.
Chechmanek might be on his way to getting the Arturs Irbe treatment.
ok maybe not that far but still that would be funny as hell

LA and Anaheim will never make a trade...particulary not with a potential number 1 goalie involved...Ducks wouldn't want to see Gerber go out and try to beat them 6 times a year in a Kings uniform...just wouldn't work as trading partners...

Kevin Forbes 03-22-2004 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Wow, NJ scored 295 goals in 2000/01 (Sykora's 80 point season) and then 205 in 2001/02... when Sykora scored 48.

What happened there?

(curious).

Basically means that when Sykora had an off year, so did a few others on the squad...apparently Sykora's was the most dramatic (32 point drop in production) thus forcing the trade.
Since the trade, Sykora has rebounded slightly, but hasn't really reached production similar to his 80 point season. His goal scoring prowess is working nicely and he is taking more shots now then he was back during his 65+ point seasons.
Sykora could net a second pairing blueliner, IMO

Digable5 03-22-2004 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDonald19
LA and Anaheim will never make a trade...particulary not with a potential number 1 goalie involved...Ducks wouldn't want to see Gerber go out and try to beat them 6 times a year in a Kings uniform...just wouldn't work as trading partners...

If the Kings need a goalie, I think that the Sabres would make good trading partners. Who do you want, Biron or Noronen? And, what would you be willing to give up for either?

not quite yoda 03-22-2004 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digable5
If the Kings need a goalie, I think that the Sabres would make good trading partners. Who do you want, Biron or Noronen? And, what would you be willing to give up for either?

They would apparently want to ship out Rome.

ohlund2.2 03-22-2004 10:45 PM

If Clouts has a bad playoff, I don't see us re-signing him, or Hedberg.

Gerber from Anaheim would be interesting..I think he could be our starter, with Auld backing him up.

r19 03-23-2004 06:49 PM

BONK...Spezza will take over,and they have many of centers ...White,Smolinksi,Fisher,Spezza,Payer,Vermette

Gibsons Finest 03-23-2004 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyKiller

I don't think he's trade bait. He was a main reason Vinny signed, and Vinny's here for a while. They've kinda got a Dvorak-Nedved type thing goin on. He also has a big contract.

As for Leafaholix's comments, Sykora definetely worth a proven top 4 defenseman. He could potentially put up 60 points this season, and last time I checked, that's fairly good. He also will score 25-35 goals a season and can score more.