HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Lindros? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=64044)

Flyer765 03-22-2004 06:45 AM

Lindros?

Being relitively new to hockey i don't know anything about all the stuff there talking about when the flyers traded for him from the nordiques (???) can anyone elaberate.

MojoJojo 03-22-2004 06:50 AM

Hoo Boy!

slapshotflyer 03-22-2004 06:54 AM

He was drafted by the Quebec Nordiques in the 91 NHL Entry Draft but his parents told Quebec he didn't want to play there. He didn't report and never played an NHL game. In June 92 the Nordiques arranged a trade but no one was quite sure whether it was the Flyers or the New Rangers who had completed the trade. The Flyers sent Peter Forsberg, Mike Ricci, Ron Hextall, Steve Duchesne and two more players as well as two first round draft picks and $15million.

There's more to it than all of that and I'm only going off what I remember so if I'm wrong don't shoot!

Toonces 03-22-2004 08:19 AM

If you would like to spend a little money, get Full Spectrum by Jay Greenberg. It covers this in extreme detail, as well as the first 30 years of this Franchise.

Basically Lindros did not wan't to play for the owner of the Quebec Nordiques, who also had owned the juinor team that origionally drafted him. Lindros told the media before the draft that Quebec should not draft him because he wouldn't play for them but they did it anyway. Lindros was then traded to the Flyers for the above mentioned package, but not before the GM of Quebec welched on the done deal and traded him to the Rangers. There was a whole legal battle upon which it was decided that the Flyers deal was filed, and Lindros was Flyer property.

Every once in a while, I wonder what would have happened if the Nordiques had actually listened to Lindros and never drafted him. I imagine that Quebec/Colorado would never have even sniffed the cup had they taken for instance, Pat Faloon (2nd overall) instead of Lindros.

donelikedinner 03-22-2004 08:44 AM

if you're new to hockey and you anticipate enjoying the sport, all you need to know about him is he's a momma's boy and he never was a team player. if you want to see what a real team player is, check out sami this year: offense, defense, hits, speed, an "A" on his jersey and a fan fav. the small man is having a big year quietly.

RoDu 03-22-2004 09:12 AM

I have that book, the Full Spectrum. Hopefully they'll do another down the line

Dr Love 03-22-2004 11:06 AM

Full Spectrum does an excellent job of telling the story. The book itself is a pretty good read overall, but the part on the Lindros trade is a great read. A couple of things that haven't been mentioned yet:

-The Rangers deal was actually better. But since the Flyers and the Nordiques agreed on a trade first, it didn't matter. I can never remember who it all was, but the Rangers were going to give up Vanbiesbrook, Amonte, Weight, and a couple of other really really good players along with (I think) a little more cash than the Flyers gave up.

-The arbitrator that handled the case is Todd Bertuzzi's uncle.

-You have to understand that Lindros was the biggest prospect since Lemieux and Gretzky. All this talk of Ovechin and Crosby doesn't compare. Lindros was already bigger than a majority of the players in the league when he was a rookie, during his holdout he was playing with veterans for Team Canada and playing at their level physically. A player of his size, strength, and style of play at his age was unheard of.

-Something non-Flyer fans tend to forget: Clarke wasn't the GM at the time.

Rails 03-22-2004 11:13 AM

Lindros' agent is his father as well.

Flyers26 03-22-2004 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
[

Yea, it was Russ Farwell. Russ & Jay Snider where the ones who pushed to get 88.

Pontifex Maximus* 03-22-2004 02:09 PM

Quote:

Full Spectrum

Are you sure? I've heard that it was his father.

daynus 03-22-2004 10:18 PM

It was Todd's Dad

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrachlinexperience
Are you sure? I've heard that it was his father.

Larry Bertuzzi who was the arbitrator in the Lindros case/mess. God i wish contract law wasnt so cut and dried, if only Forsberg and the rest stayed in philly. Oh well i'm still hoping to win the lottery lol :joker: :joker:

GBailey93 03-23-2004 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daynus
Larry Bertuzzi who was the arbitrator in the Lindros case/mess. God i wish contract law wasnt so cut and dried, if only Forsberg and the rest stayed in philly. Oh well i'm still hoping to win the lottery lol :joker: :joker:

If I remember correctly, Forsberg didn't want to play in Philly. He did not want to walk into a situation where he was going to be the main star and have no supporting cast. So trading Forsberg would have happened sooner or later.

GKJ 03-23-2004 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBailey93
If I remember correctly, Forsberg didn't want to play in Philly. He did not want to walk into a situation where he was going to be the main star and have no supporting cast. So trading Forsberg would have happened sooner or later.

It wasn't too long before he got a solid supporting cast. In fact, without the trade it would have been better.

Jackson Ranger 03-23-2004 12:15 PM

Quote:

Full Spectrum does an excellent job of telling the story. The book itself is a pretty good read overall, but the part on the Lindros trade is a great read. A couple of things that haven't been mentioned yet:

-The Rangers deal was actually better. But since the Flyers and the Nordiques agreed on a trade first, it didn't matter. I can never remember who it all was, but the Rangers were going to give up Vanbiesbrook, Amonte, Weight, and a couple of other really really good players along with (I think) a little more cash than the Flyers gave up.

-You have to understand that Lindros was the biggest prospect since Lemieux and Gretzky. All this talk of Ovechin and Crosby doesn't compare. Lindros was already bigger than a majority of the players in the league when he was a rookie, during his holdout he was playing with veterans for Team Canada and playing at their level physically. A player of his size, strength, and style of play at his age was unheard of.

Considering in 1994, the Rangers used Amonte and Weight for Noonan, Matteau and Tikkanen (and a big, shiny silver thing), I'm glad you guys were awarded Lindros!!! :handclap: :D

MiamiScreamingEagles 03-23-2004 12:17 PM

The other variable in the final analysis of the Lindros-to-Quebec trade deals with Patrick Roy. Under no circumstance would the Montreal Canadiens trade the then-disgruntled goalie to the Quebec Nordiques considering the rivalry the teams had both on and more importantly OFF the ice (quite possibly the most heated rivalry in the NHL at the time). If the Nords stayed in Quebec instead of relocating to Colorado, Roy in all likelihood would have been traded to another suitor.