HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Proper use of the word "common". (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=64064)

Medicine Twin 03-22-2004 09:33 AM

Proper use of the word "common".
 
This thread may be closed soon as it doesn't pertain to hockey but it needs to be said. I'll try to use hockey terms if it'll help.

Common...

It is common for a player going into free agency to weigh his options if he's unhappy with his current situation.

Improper...

Common guys, why do you want to put Zednik on the fourth line?

This is very confusing... Common guys... what do you mean by this? We're everyday Joe Schmoes? What?

Try "Come on guys," or if you want to abreviate, "C'mon guys,". Hope this helps.

Mooch 03-22-2004 09:37 AM

You make a valid point, but when you read the sentince its actaully pretty easy to figure out which one the person means. I dont see how its so confusing.

Medicine Twin 03-22-2004 09:41 AM

It mixes me up every time... :dunno:

mcphee 03-22-2004 09:49 AM

Also, to call someone's spouse or mother 'common' is considered an insult.

hockey_nut 03-22-2004 10:01 AM

This may be the most interesting thread I've ever read...

Habber 03-22-2004 10:10 AM

Also something to remember:

i before e except after c. :teach:

There's a way too many people around here that beleive we can win the Cup when they really should be believing we can win the Cup. If you want Koivu to receive the Cup from Bettman, that's alright but when you say beleive I just don't know what you're talking about. :dunno:

;)

edit: fixed grammar mistakes :p

chicpea* 03-22-2004 10:18 AM

did you know that "simultaneously" includes every vowel - even "Y"!

Prrebel 03-22-2004 10:19 AM

Its;

It is common for a player going into free agency to weigh his options if he's unhappy with his current situation.


C'mon (or Come On) guys, why do you want to put Zednik on the fourth line?

hockey_nut 03-22-2004 10:21 AM

what if you're trying to lure someone?

does this work... "caaa'monn!"

Guy Caballero 03-22-2004 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee
Also, to call someone's spouse or mother 'common' is considered an insult.

Unless it's a common-law spouse :dunno:

Habber 03-22-2004 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey_nut
what if you're trying to lure someone?

does this work... "caaa'monn!"

:joker:
I think you need some more emphasis in there:

caaaaaaa'monnnnnnnnnnn!!!

My 3rd grade teacher taught me that 7 a's, 11 n's and 3 exclamation points are required to properly lure someone. :D

chicpea* 03-22-2004 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
My 3rd grade teacher taught me that 7 a's, 11 n's and 3 exclamation points are required to properly lure someone. :D

I can verify that.

Maybe we should just have a stickied 'grammar' thread where we all deposit our daily musings on the complexities of our two national languages. We here at the Habs board are obviously the most erudite and sophisticated denizens of HF.com and our vast knowledge could only help such incoherent people like, say, Johnny Vachon (:)), who is very fond of capital letters.

Habber 03-22-2004 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicpea
Maybe we should just have a stickied 'grammar' thread where we all deposit our daily musings on the complexities of our two national languages. We here at the Habs board are obviously the most erudite and sophisticated denizens of HF.com and our vast knowledge could only help such incoherent people like, say, Johnny Vachon (:)), who is very fond of capital letters.

Maybe we should take it a step further and make all newbies (and Johnny V) write and pass a grammar and spelling quiz before they're allowed to post on the Habs Boards.

caaaaaaa'monnnnnnnnnnn!!! guys, up for it?

Darz 03-22-2004 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
Also something to remember:

i before e except after c. :teach:

There's a way too many people around here that beleive we can win the Cup when they really should be believing we can win the Cup. If you want Koivu to receive the Cup from Bettman, that's alright but when you say beleive I just don't know what you're talking about.

I beleive I make that one alot. If I'm writting the word on paper I don't but for some reason when I type the word I always have the 'e' first.

One of those mysteries of the world I guess!

Gros Bill 03-22-2004 01:36 PM

[QUOTE=Darz]I beleive I make that one alot. If I'm writting the word on paper I don't but for some reason when I type the word I always have the 'e' first.

One of those mysteries of the world I guess![/QUOTE]

Hears an other mysterie : proper usage of the word "Darz".

Hears an exemple : darz she, or darzn't she ?

English Hab 03-22-2004 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee
Also, to call someone's spouse or mother 'common' is considered an insult.

Mcphee and that will be the last time i let you borrow my Mom for a night out.... The cheek of it....!!!! :eek:

Darz 03-22-2004 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Hears an exemple : darz she, or darzn't she ?

Now adeys, more aften than not she darzn't!!!!

chicpea* 03-22-2004 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
Now adeys, more aften than not she darzn't!!!!

Oh yes she Darz :)

Habber 03-22-2004 02:37 PM

Common yous guys. You want me to come over there and learn you a lesson? I bet the Bruins board darzn't have such poor English.

mcphee 03-22-2004 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by English Hab
Mcphee and that will be the last time i let you borrow my Mom for a night out.... The cheek of it....!!!! :eek:

i must admit that your Mom's a lovely lady and the evening was magical. If you're talking to her though, she did mention something about half the bar bill.....

JOHNNY V 03-22-2004 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habber
Maybe we should take it a step further and make all newbies (and Johnny V) write and pass a grammar and spelling quiz before they're allowed to post on the Habs Boards.

caaaaaaa'monnnnnnnnnnn!!! guys, up for it?


IS IT COMMON FOR YOU TO RUB YOURSELF AT NIGHT.. :joker:

Habber 03-22-2004 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNNY V
IS IT COMMON FOR YOU TO RUB YOURSELF AT NIGHT.. :joker:

Yeah, you got me. :blush:

Although I try not to make a Hab-it out of it. But I must admit it darzn't feel as good as a certain poster's mom can do. :joker:

Jacques Strappe 03-22-2004 07:47 PM

[QUOTE=Gros Bill]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
I beleive I make that one alot. If I'm writting the word on paper I don't but for some reason when I type the word I always have the 'e' first.

One of those mysteries of the world I guess![/QUOTE]

Hears an other mysterie : proper usage of the word "Darz".

Hears an exemple : darz she, or darzn't she ?

Here on the East Coast the word 'Darz' is used as follows:
"Darz she blows!"

Jacques Strappe 03-22-2004 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medicine Twin
This thread may be closed soon as it doesn't pertain to hockey but it needs to be said. I'll try to use hockey terms if it'll help.

Common...

It is common for a player going into free agency to weigh his options if he's unhappy with his current situation.

Improper...

Common guys, why do you want to put Zednik on the fourth line?

This is very confusing... Common guys... what do you mean by this? We're everyday Joe Schmoes? What?

Try "Come on guys," or if you want to abreviate, "C'mon guys,". Hope this helps.

It's so common on this and other sites for people to use the word common in the place of come on or c'mon, that i was sure it was a common 'internet lingo' word...
we'd be needin' us a hole nuther bored to adress all the c'mon gram-atical airers on this sight, let alown all thother wons!

while we're ranting about grammar, let me get this one off my chest. It has nothing to do with the internet even. There's a certain demographic pronounces the word didn't like the second 'd' is silent (dih-ent). It's mostly women I notice. Drives me nuts. Ahh, there that feels better...thanks for listening...

iokadia 03-22-2004 08:11 PM

This board is sofa-king great.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.