HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Scottie Upshall (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=64065)

Harry 03-22-2004 09:40 AM

Scottie Upshall

Can we expect Upshall on the big team next year if there is a season?

triggrman 03-22-2004 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry
Can we expect Upshall on the big team next year if there is a season?

I'd guess yes, I think untimely injuries really hurt him this season.

hillbilly 03-22-2004 01:41 PM

who will Upshall replace though?

Olaf 03-22-2004 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly
who will Upshall replace though?

AJ or Rem Murray...... I think he will earn a spot next year. Finances may dictate it.

jstreet 03-22-2004 02:18 PM

sad but...

looks like someone will definetly have to replace Rem.

triggrman 03-22-2004 02:21 PM

Yeh, I think AJ and Rem will both be replaced, my guesses are Segal and Upshall.

gopreds98 03-22-2004 04:04 PM

My guess is that there are going to be a lot more replacement players next year then any of us realize....and I'm not sure they're the same names you're thinking about.

Consider this: if there is a salary cap....excuse me, I meant "cost certainty" :p , then there will almost certainly be a salary floor as well. Likely in the $30+ Million range. The Preds are going to have to spend some money on free agents. So, I'm thinking that while it's certainly possible that we'll see Upshall and Segal next year, I think there are a lot of other names besides Rem and A.J. that will be gone. Arkhipov anyone? And if he doesn't improve, another underperforming center as well.

Enoch 03-22-2004 04:04 PM

Upshall looked like he was going to stick the 2nd time he was called up, then he got that knee injury :/. G.Johnson's contract ends this year as well doesn't it? I wonder if we resign him ....

SmokeyClause 03-22-2004 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopreds98
My guess is that there are going to be a lot more replacement players next year then any of us realize....and I'm not sure they're the same names you're thinking about.

Consider this: if there is a salary cap....excuse me, I meant "cost certainty" :p , then there will almost certainly be a salary floor as well. Likely in the $30+ Million range. The Preds are going to have to spend some money on free agents. So, I'm thinking that while it's certainly possible that we'll see Upshall and Segal next year, I think there are a lot of other names besides Rem and A.J. that will be gone. Arkhipov anyone? And if he doesn't improve, another underperforming center as well.

I would imagine the 'salary floor' wouldn't be an immediate thing. I think it would be at the very least a gradual process.

jstreet 03-22-2004 04:42 PM

something tells me that Johnson is playing his last games as a Pred.

triggrman 03-22-2004 09:06 PM

We don't really have any centers coming up that look to replace any of our centers.

barrytrotzsneck 03-22-2004 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman
We don't really have any centers coming up that look to replace any of our centers.

I wouldn't mind seeing Gamache take Johnson's place

Jovavic 03-22-2004 09:43 PM

Smokey finally changed his avatar :handclap: Pretty funny, too.

Anyway, Upshall should get a spot barring any injury or other setbacks.

triggrman 03-23-2004 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
I wouldn't mind seeing Gamache take Johnson's place

Yeh, that might work, it would give us an offensive minded center for sure, but do we need to get smaller?

FD 03-23-2004 09:27 AM

Maybe this should be another post, but who else from this group do you think sees time next season? Before you discount someone like Classen, remember Mark Eaton's path.

Haydar RW
Segal RW
Widing RW
Platonov RW
Shiskanov LW
Pivko LW
Glazachev LW
Classen C
Gamache C
Soin C
Setzinger C
Suter D
Mukhachev D
Hutchinson D
Safronov D
Schnabel D
Finley G

triggrman 03-23-2004 09:52 AM

Segal, Shishkanov, Gamache, maybe Setzinger. Classen is a defensive center, we have 4 of those now.

hillbilly 03-23-2004 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman
Segal, Shishkanov, Gamache, maybe Setzinger. Classen is a defensive center, we have 4 of those now.

Segal and Shishkanov are both Wings I think. I think Segal will need another year of development in the minors. maybe Shishkanov will need another year as well.

barrytrotzsneck 03-23-2004 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FD
Maybe this should be another post, but who else from this group do you think sees time next season? Before you discount someone like Classen, remember Mark Eaton's path.

Haydar RW
Segal RW
Widing RW
Platonov RW
Shiskanov LW
Pivko LW
Glazachev LW
Classen C
Gamache C
Soin C
Setzinger C
Suter D
Mukhachev D
Hutchinson D
Safronov D
Schnabel D
Finley G

from what i heard in milwaukee, this is classen's contract year, and he was basically told that he wasn't going to be resigned, though.

dulzhok 03-23-2004 01:42 PM

We’re are going to a tough time resigning some of our restricted free agents:

Zidlicky—gonna want a huge raise
Vokoun—ditto
Sullivan—If he wants more than 3 million, we’re going to have problems

----
In terms of UFAs:

Johansson- I hope we make an effort to resign this guy. He can play just about any role. He can be a 20+ goal scorer in a scoring line role or solid 2-way guy in a lower role. Plus, he’s just a great guy. His injury problems are the only concern, but that will lower his monetary demands. We should be able to get him locked up pretty cheap (around $1 million).

Johnson- I think he stands a good chance to be gone. He’s been having trouble matching up against other teams top lines, and that’s his main role. Other than the short-handers, he’s just not making a big difference.

York- Unless he comes up huge down the stretch and in the playoffs, I see us moving on.

Zholthok- Barring playoff magic, there’s pretty good chance we’ll let him go without trying re-sign him.

Bombardir—see Zholtok

Murray—We’ve missed him a lot. But, it doesn’t look he’s going to recover.

---
Other guys that whose future in question:

Arkhipov- not getting it done. His contract isn’t all that small either (1.2m, 1.4m in the coming years).

Legwand- same boat as Arkhipov. Hasn’t been a difference maker at all.

Hnidy- the remainder of the year will determine his fate.

----
Prospects who have a shot at a roster spot:

Upshall—needs to hit the gym hard this offseason
Shishkanov—close
Gamache—I think he’s wavier eligible after this season. So he might stand a pretty good chance
Sutter—maybe
Muchaev— is under contract for next year
Setzinger—will likely be under contract for next year

----
UFAs that might interest us:

Ricci, Zhitnik, Konowalchuk, Klemm, Matvichuk, S. Young, Schneider, Nedved, Ulanov, Palffy (dreaming), Jason Allison, Jason Weimer, Brylin, Alfredsson (dreaming), Recchi, Zhamnov, Damphousse, Reichel, Renberg, Klee, Rucinsky. Plus a lot or guys aren’t going to be qualified.

jstreet 03-23-2004 01:43 PM

I think Hutch has been working his way into the coach's hearts., probably be seeing him.

Shish is putting up some great numbers but I dont think he looked NHL ready when he was called up.

Joe T Choker 03-23-2004 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnlikestars
I think Hutch has been working his way into the coach's hearts., probably be seeing him.

Shish is putting up some great numbers but I dont think he looked NHL ready when he was called up.

He got 3rd/4th line ice time while he was here, what do you expect?

Stats for the two games he played in

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=231223030

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=231226009

jstreet 03-23-2004 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
He got 3rd/4th line ice time while he was here, what do you expect?

Stats for the two games he played in

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=231223030

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=231226009

just my opinion.

I was glad that the AHL all-star game was on ESPN 2. It was good to see him play.

triggrman 03-23-2004 02:33 PM

I think keeping Arky and Leggy a little longer is a good idea, but get someone to feel the role as number 1 and 2 centers, as 3 and 4 center they're above average, while both make below average pay. I'd like more size too on defense and up the middle. We still need that 6'3" 230 pound bruiser.

gopreds98 03-23-2004 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I would imagine the 'salary floor' wouldn't be an immediate thing. I think it would be at the very least a gradual process.

Obviously none of us know what the new CBA is going to look like....but I would think that if there is going to be an immediate cap, then there would have to be an immediate floor as well.

Oh, and it's not just UFAs that we'd get to choose from....a lot of teams would be looking to dump players under contract to move salary. That should improve our options.

dulzhok 03-23-2004 03:05 PM

I forgot about Hutchison. He’s played decent, but I would rather have a steady veteran d-man at this point. The way I see it, our guaranteed D will be Timonen-Eaton-Zidlicky-Hamhuis. I would like to fill in those last holes with two strong veteran defensive oriented d-men. Hnidy and Allison would be the depth dmen. Free agent possibilities include Klemm, Matvichuk, Ulanov, Zhitnik, Klee, etc. There’s also the possibility of a trade.