HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Philadelphia - Ottawa (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=640659)

bdp 05-08-2009 03:26 PM

Philadelphia - Ottawa

To Philly:
Anton Volchenkov
Brian Elliott
1st 09 (9th overall)

To Ottawa:
Claude Giroux
Randy Jones

Gives Philly a rock solid defensive D, a good goalie prospect and a top 10 pick in a very good draft, plus some cap relief.

Brings back Giroux to the nation's capital, along with a d-man who can help with puck movement.

SLAPSHOT723 05-08-2009 03:31 PM

Giroux is untouchable to the Flyers, this won't happen

Security Guard Chang* 05-08-2009 03:33 PM

Ottawa gives up a top ten pick in an incredibly deep draft where we can pick up a player as good as giroux(kadri,Schroeder,Kulikov ,Ekman Larson,Cowen etc) ..lose one of the best defensive d-men in the world and , lose a Starter who has high upside. ...For a forward who might put up 70-80 points..and a avg d-man

stempniaksen 05-08-2009 03:35 PM

Not a chance from an Ottawa perspective. I love Giroux, but that is simply too much to give for him.

Jones is also redundant with Lee and Campoli around now.

This is the 9 pick were talking about, there could be a player there that turns out better than Giroux, and we're giving up Volchie on top of that? Not a chance.

Boxscore 05-08-2009 03:48 PM

Deal doesn't make sense for either team.

BillyShoe1721 05-08-2009 04:02 PM

Neither team does this. Giroux is a young superstar in the making, and Philadelphia would be stupid to trade him, especially before his ELC expires. This does address two large needs in the organization and more, but Philadelphia doesn't do it. Nobody outside of Tavares, Hedman, and maybe Duchene will be as good as Giroux will be.

Ottawa doesn't do it because of the amount of assets they are giving up. Volchenkov is a great defensive defenseman, Elliott is the future in net, and that 1st is a great asset. They can't justify giving up that much for a guy going into his 2nd year.

Giroux tha Damaja 05-08-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 (Post 19477800)
Nobody outside of Tavares, Hedman, and maybe Duchene will be as good as Giroux will be.

While I agree with your post for the most part, I think this is a bit of a reach. How many guys in his own draft year got picked ahead of Giroux. Nobody's a sure thing, and some guys exceed expectations.

If I am Philadelphia I make the deal and hang up the phone crying. Hate to see Giroux go, but that is a pretty sweet offer.

JT 91 NYI* 05-08-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Can 2 (Post 19477352)
To Philly:
Anton Volchenkov
Brian Elliott
1st 09 (9th overall)

To Ottawa:
Claude Giroux
Randy Jones

Gives Philly a rock solid defensive D, a good goalie prospect and a top 10 pick in a very good draft, plus some cap relief.

Brings back Giroux to the nation's capital, along with a d-man who can help with puck movement.

The value and idea isn't horrible here and it does help both teams but I don't see Philly trading Giroux unless it's part of a package for an elite level star (Heatley, Lecavalier, Kovalchuck) because his potential is so high.

BrindamoursNose 05-08-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am The Mush (Post 19477855)
While I agree with your post for the most part, I think this is a bit of a reach. How many guys in his own draft year got picked ahead of Giroux. Nobody's a sure thing, and some guys exceed expectations.

If I am Philadelphia I make the deal and hang up the phone crying. Hate to see Giroux go, but that is a pretty sweet offer.

Agreed 100%

The trade fixes everything for us at one time, but we'd be giving up a blossoming star.

mercury 05-08-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfredsson (Post 19477436)
Ottawa gives up a top ten pick in an incredibly deep draft where we can pick up a player as good as giroux(kadri,Schroeder,Kulikov ,Ekman Larson,Cowen etc) ..lose one of the best defensive d-men in the world and , lose a Starter who has high upside. ...For a forward who might put up 70-80 points..and a avg d-man

The chances of those guys becoming better than Giroux are really low, statistically-speaking.

BrindamoursNose 05-08-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 19478154)
The chances of those guys becoming better than Giroux are really low, statistically-speaking.

I don't know about that.....with guys like Schroeder going to be drafted around 8-10...I'd seriously doubt the merit of that statement.

Thefalkon 05-08-2009 04:47 PM

Ottawa doesn't do this, especially with their pick being in the top 10.

mercury 05-08-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose (Post 19478217)
I don't know about that.....with guys like Schroeder going to be drafted around 8-10...I'd seriously doubt the merit of that statement.

Of course it's possible, and they are always guys picked lower who end up better than the guys ahead of them (kinda like Giroux at 22). Still, it's a crap shoot. We already have Giroux, and we're gonna need him, unless we somehow use him to acquire a current top goaltender. We don't need a Top 10 pick. We need to move some dead weight, shore up the D, and get a real answer in net.

Matt4776 05-08-2009 04:53 PM

If I were philly, I would do this, but its defiantly not an easy decision.

mercury 05-08-2009 04:56 PM

BTW, the Flyers actually ADD cap hit here, since Elliott is RFA, and he will need to be re-signed to a decent raise. We'd still need to sign a veteran goaltender to go along with Elliott, too. No thanks.

BrindamoursNose 05-08-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 19478357)
Of course it's possible, and they are always guys picked lower who end up better than the guys ahead of them (kinda like Giroux at 22). Still, it's a crap shoot. We already have Giroux, and we're gonna need him, unless we somehow use him to acquire a current top goaltender. We don't need a Top 10 pick. We need to move some dead weight, shore up the D, and get a real answer in net.

Elliot may be that answer, and Volchenkov will help protect the goalie.

What we really don't need is Giroux, actually. We have a plethora of forwards.

BrindamoursNose 05-08-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 19478404)
BTW, the Flyers actually ADD cap hit here, since Elliott is RFA, and he will need to be re-signed to a decent raise. We'd still need to sign a veteran goaltender to go along with Elliott, too. No thanks.

But it adds so much to our roster. We get another goalie, plus the big defenseman we wanted (big as in talented, not like 6'5 240 Pounds). AND, a top 9 pick.

Worst comes to worst, we could use the 9th pick to move one of our large salary players and get something in return. OR, we could just use our 1st to move one of those contracts.

mercury 05-08-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose (Post 19478421)
Elliot may be that answer, and Volchenkov will help protect the goalie.

What we really don't need is Giroux, actually. We have a plethora of forwards.

That is completely psychotic. You don't trade elite-level young forwards with $850K cap hits for 2nd-pairing defensemen, a goalie prospect, and a 1st (unless you're getting a Tavares, Hedman, Kane, etc.). You're completely out to lunch here. Christ, Vancouver fans would do Schneider (who has higher upside than does Elliott) for JVR (who is not even on the Flyers' roster yet). Why trade Giroux, who is already one of our best forwards? That makes NO sense.

Anasazi 05-08-2009 05:06 PM

OMG, this proposal is laughable from an Ottawa prospective :laugh:

McNasty 05-08-2009 05:11 PM

Philadelphia is in no position to give up an entry level contract in the top 6.

Hockeypete49 05-08-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Space Can 2 (Post 19477352)
To Philly:
Anton Volchenkov
Brian Elliott
1st 09 (9th overall)

To Ottawa:
Claude Giroux
Randy Jones

Flyers say no thank you. It is tempting but Claude is a keeper.

Asquaredx2 05-08-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 19478472)
That is completely psychotic. You don't trade elite-level young forwards with $850K cap hits for 2nd-pairing defensemen, a goalie prospect, and a 1st (unless you're getting a Tavares, Hedman, Kane, etc.). You're completely out to lunch here. Christ, Vancouver fans would do Schneider (who has higher upside than does Elliott) for JVR (who is not even on the Flyers' roster yet). Why trade Giroux, who is already one of our best forwards? That makes NO sense.

It's completely psychotic because Ottawa doesn't even consider this. And I've been watching Giroux since his Gatineau days.

mercury 05-08-2009 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asquaredx2 (Post 19478645)
It's completely psychotic because Ottawa doesn't even consider this. And I've been watching Giroux since his Gatineau days.

They may not, but it's still ridiculous for the Flyers. How does adding salary and losing a top-6 forward for a 2nd-pairing defenseman and a goalie prospect help us win now?

Patrick96 05-08-2009 05:49 PM

Massive overpayment by Ottawa.
/thread

12Duchene34 05-08-2009 05:51 PM

i dont think philly would wqnt to give up giroux