HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Can The Flyers Win With Their Current Goalies? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=64122)

thatcanadianguy23 03-22-2004 01:01 PM

Can The Flyers Win With Their Current Goalies?

I would have to say no to this one. Yes Burke has the experience int the playoffs, but he is past his prime. Esche has yet to prove himself. :dunno:

swflyers8* 03-22-2004 01:08 PM

Quote:

I would have to say no to this one. Yes Burke has the experience in the playoffs, but he is past his prime. Esche has yet to prove himself.
I would have to say yes. Robert has wins against OTT (1x), NJD (2x) and TOR(3x). Burke also managed to have a great game against Ottawa in which he stole the point for us by his play. Esche has gone up against Belfour & Brodeur, two of the best goalies in the East and the league, and won convincingly.

Everyone knows that Robert hasn't been in the playoffs yet. How is he to get the experience if no one lets him be #1 in the playoffs? Is everyone saying this also about Abby in COL and Kipper in CAL? No one has said anything about them. Everyone has said Salo is there as Abby's backup, they're fine with that and no one has questioned Kipper at all. Who is to say that both of these guys won't do good either? Why is everyone coming after Philly's goalie and no one else's?

I wish everyone would stop saying this and that about our goalies. Robert is winning the big games and doing it well. Worry about your team's goalies come playoff time. We have no worries here. :teach:

Cuiff 03-22-2004 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatcanadianguy23
I would have to say no to this one. Yes Burke has the experience int the playoffs, but he is past his prime. Esche has yet to prove himself. :dunno:

:teach:
Burke was brought here to back up Esche so I guess your question should have been.......................

"Do you think Esche can win in the playoffs?"

My answer to that question is, I do not know. It looks like he has the stuff but no one will know for sure until the playoffs start. :D

Dr Love 03-22-2004 01:10 PM

Beating a dead horse... Burke has little experience in the playoffs. It doesn't matter though, as Esche will be starting.

capn89* 03-22-2004 01:15 PM

Experience Smerience... "Playoff Experience" (in the case of Esche) means jack to me. It's not like he's a kid being called up from the AHL to start the playoffs with no NHL games under his belt. Esche has played in big games. It's always a big game when we play one of our rivals (jersey, ottawa, toronto, new york etc) and he's done fine. I know the playoffs are charged, but it's still just hockey. Esche will do fine. The success of this team will (as it did in 2000) rely solely on the toes of the team around Esche. Esche has proven he can get it done. Has anyone seen Esche's record in games where the flyers score 2 (that's right 2!) goals or more. He's won about triple (if not quadruple) the games he's lost in games where the Flyers can manage to put home two biscuits. If they can average somewhere around 2.5 goals a game in the Playoffs, I think Esche will hold the fort, just the same as Boucher in 2000... But here's to hoping there won't be another 5 overtime game hahaha... that game was classic. :D

tytech 03-22-2004 01:28 PM

Goaltending needs to be our best postition throughout. We all know that our players disappear and scoring is hard to come by.

slapshotflyer 03-22-2004 01:48 PM

A goalie can only prove himself by playing in the playoffs. The established goalies today won't be around forever and it's up to guys like Esche to step up. I think he will.

Pontifex Maximus* 03-22-2004 02:06 PM

Maybe it's a testament to how good this team is when people are saying the weakest link is a guy with a 1.87gaa and .923sv%.

capn89* 03-22-2004 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrachlinexperience
Maybe it's a testament to how good this team is when people are saying the weakest link is a guy with a 1.87gaa and .923sv%.

You ARE the weakest link... GOODBYE!

The Seeker 25 03-22-2004 03:45 PM

I get tired of hearing that you absolutely HAVE to have a playoff experienced goaltender going into the playoffs. Not saying Esche is on par with these goalies or that he will have comparable success, but Ken Dryden (I know, he's a legend) and Patrick Roy (I know, another legend) won the Cup in their first playoffs. And how about Giguere's run last season? It's not inconceivable to think that Esche will have a long run into the playoffs, we just have to wait and see when it starts.

Steve L* 03-22-2004 04:07 PM

With Esche, yes.

With Burke, not a chance in hell.

FlyHigh 03-22-2004 04:13 PM

By your rationale, JS Giguere never would have won a playoff series or got Anaheim to the Cup, Carolina never would have made it to the finals cause Arturs Irbe didn't have enough experience, etc. This guy has beaten TO in their house twice to go along with wins against NJ and Ottawa, he should do fine.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 03-22-2004 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrachlinexperience

They have to question us about something....Wouldn't matter if we had Joseph or Brodeur for that matter, they'd still say our goaltending wasn't good enough. Personally, I think Esche may be this playoffs Giguere....unfortunately by that logic I'd also have to say the same for Raycroft, Aebischer, Kiprusoff etc. By the way...great post, very well put. It's not so bad to have a problem like an Esche/Burke tandem. For everyone who says Burke can't do the job....he probably won't have to. :)

FlyersGuy69 03-22-2004 07:22 PM

YES. I think that the Flyers can win with Esche in net.

Esche has been consistently great all year and last year. Esche has kicked up a notch in some big games this year against teams like Ottawa, NJ, Boston, etc. so there is NO reason to think that he would play any different come playoff time.

I am 100% comfortable going with Esche for the reast of the year and in the playoffs. I am tired of hearing about how he has never done it yet in the playoffs and I am not going to knock a guy before he even get's a chance to prove himself.

CNote 03-22-2004 08:51 PM

If the Flyers are 100% healthy they can go a long way with Esche.

-dutch-

sinisalo 03-23-2004 07:36 AM

I've said it before...the Flyers made it to the Finals with a rookie goalie named Hextall.

The Flyers had a great playoff run before they blew it against NJ with a rookie golaie named Boucher.

Esche has more than proven himself this season. IF Esche plays every game in the playoffs, the Flyers have a chance. If Burke is the G, the Flyers have NO chance to go anywhere in the playoffs. Burke has not won a playoff series since the late '80's, that is playoff ineptness not experience.