HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Superstitions/ Rituals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=641361)

The Kult 05-10-2009 08:22 PM

Superstitions/ Rituals

I dont know if there is already a thread on this somewhere. But...

I know alot of pros have their little rituals and superstitions.
So do you have any superstitions or routines during, on the day of, or day before your game? Anything you do that people might find weird? Like a song you listen to, gear you wear, cleaning or not cleaning your gear, etc...

Myself I dont really have any. The only thing is that I always dress the same, put everything on in the same order every time and tape the same way. Idk if thats really a ritual or just something I do...

Gunnar Stahl 30 05-10-2009 08:24 PM

i dress left to right

Huggy Bear* 05-10-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 (Post 19509131)
i dress left to right

Same, always tape the same way, always eat pasta before playing, always listen to Hells Bells to get pumped.

And always knock one off the goalie's pumpkin (or crossbar for posts) before I can start :)

Saved* 05-10-2009 08:28 PM

I tape my stick a certain way, and I put right skate on first, then left skate. I also have my skates laced so the last lace to go through a hole has to come out on the inside of the skate.. don't know why. Just do it.

FLYLine24* 05-10-2009 08:30 PM

Dont like to start getting dressed until the Zamboni goes on, or shortly before (2-3 minutes left in the previous game).

Switch sticks often if I haven't been able to score using one for a few games (even if it means going back to a stick I previously switched).

Have to touch the puck last in warm ups before the game starts.

Red bull before each game, and leave exactly 35 minutes before game time (well around...i dont sit there looking at my watch or something).

The Kult 05-10-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 (Post 19509131)
i dress left to right

I go right to left

Gunnar Stahl 30 05-10-2009 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huggy Bear (Post 19509207)
Same, always tape the same way, always eat pasta before playing, always listen to Hells Bells to get pumped.

And always knock one off the goalie's pumpkin (or crossbar for posts) before I can start :)

in highschool i always would eat pasta too.

i also would snap my helmet strap twice

Hockeyfan68 05-10-2009 09:02 PM

My pre-game meal is a big bowl of cornflakes .... always.

Also when playing shinny or outdoor ice I can't leave until I shoot a blistering slapshot that is a perfect shot somehow like in off the pipe or whatever. I don't have the time for that after a game though for our team games so no real ritual or habit there.

NYRSinceBirth 05-11-2009 01:46 AM

I sleep in on game day (new for this year, games are Saturday nights), and I mean until like 2PM.

Dress right to left lower, left to right upper, right to left jersey. It's more habit then ritual though.

The night before a game I get my sticks ready. They have to be perfect.

UserName 05-11-2009 02:04 AM

Nothing superstitious with my gear but i do tape all of my sticks a certain way.

I twist the tape into a string? and wrap it around the top of my stick 10 times. no overlapping. then i cover the knob with white tape for about 6 inches down the shaft. Then i candy cane 75 percent of the shaft.

i tape the entire blade, including the toe, trimming the loose ends with a pair of scissors.

White tape. Always.

WhipNash27 05-11-2009 08:56 AM

Nothing really, I get dressed the same way, but that's more out of habit. Sometimes if something worked like eating or drinking something prior to the game, I'll continue doing that because it may have helped improve my performance, but that's about all.

Marc Bergevins Suit 05-11-2009 01:09 PM

- Left piece of equipment goes on before the right piece.
- I always ring one off the crossbar after the goalie leaves the net in warmups.
- Last one on the ice.
- Listen to my iPod before the game.
- Take my game stick everywhere i go before the game.

shotty 05-11-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huggy Bear (Post 19509207)

same stall in locker room, same tape job on two sticks, two crossbars during warm up and i always start the game. white tape on my game stick, black tape on my backup, which i use in 3rd period.

digger18 05-11-2009 01:54 PM

A nice big doobie on the way to the rink always seems to help!

shotty 05-11-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digger18 (Post 19517133)
A nice big doobie on the way to the rink always seems to help!

whenever i do that, i find myself focusing on balance and fluidity of movement. it's weird.

The Big Giant Head 05-11-2009 02:05 PM

i usually take a crap before i go play. Im not trying to sound gross and make light of the thread, i seriously do. if i have a torpedo in the tube when im playing its a distraction, plus like most of us, i tend to think a little better when im making my sacrifice to the porcelain gods and am able to get my head in game mode. :dunno:

Johnny Law 05-11-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head (Post 19517313)
i usually take a crap before i go play. Im not trying to sound gross and make light of the thread, i seriously do. if i have a torpedo in the tube when im playing its a distraction, plus like most of us, i tend to think a little better when im making my sacrifice to the porcelain gods and am able to get my head in game mode. :dunno:

That's funny and true !

I can't think of any real superstitions though I do wipe my visor clean right before the game starts. Its normally already clean so I guess its more of a ritual.

cantwell7 05-11-2009 03:30 PM

- Right side of my gear goes on first.
- 1st one out behind the goalie , first one off.
- always black tape , unless i dont score in a game , then i switch.
- always at the rink before everyone else.

mikeylikey 05-11-2009 05:05 PM

I have to listen to Jet Black Stare's "Ready to Roll" right before I leave the locker room and get on the ice. If I leave my Ipod at home that night, I will sing the entire song aloud in the locker room. My team is used to it by now.

Colemanatrix 05-13-2009 12:48 AM

I always put my gear on the same way. also I used to listen to Eminem before game but in one of my junior tryouts a got my bell rung, probably the top three hits ive ever taken, and all i could hear was the song "cleaning out my closet" in my head when i was skating to the bench. I now go out of my way not to listen to Eminem before games.

SirJW 05-13-2009 01:46 AM

It's unlucky to be superstitious.

PensFanInCBus 05-13-2009 07:34 AM

Dress right to left, and stare off into space for about a minute after I stretch.

Doctor Drej 05-13-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head (Post 19517313)

LMFAO

i make the tape on my sticks stripe colored. so, one stripe of white, then one stripe of black and so on.

ya, i'm weird but it works. :handclap:

densetsu 05-13-2009 11:27 AM

Pre-game:
- On the drive there, the first thing I'll listen to is the HNIC theme song from the 80's.
- Crack open an energy drink 30 minutes before game time.
- Dress from left to right.
- I write this kanji on all my sticks (just spells 'densetsu', my username.)
http://digitalequilibrium.com/images...tick_knobs.jpg

During the game:
- During gameplay, I'll always wait at the top of the crease for the play to come into our zone. After every whistle, I'll glide backwards and rest my arms on the crossbar for a few seconds. Then I'll touch both posts with my gloves, shrug my shoulders a bit, swing my arms in and out, then and glide back out to the top of the crease. Touching the post helps get me centered so my angles are right, don't know how all those other motions got in there.

- When my back is to the scoreboard, I'll never look at it unless I'm watching how much time is left on our PP (gotta warn the guys with a few slaps of the stick when it's over).

Post-game:
- 1 beer. No more, no less.

bohlmeister 05-14-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 (Post 19513842)
Nothing really, I get dressed the same way, but that's more out of habit. Sometimes if something worked like eating or drinking something prior to the game, I'll continue doing that because it may have helped improve my performance, but that's about all.

Samezies.