HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Buying a composite stick for <$100 dollars. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=641853)

WickedWrister 05-12-2009 11:04 AM

Buying a composite stick for <$100 dollars.
 
Hi, just got a $100 gift card to my local hockey shop. I already have an Easton Sc2 Forsberg Senior, but I had to cut it down a lot and the flex is way over 100. Plus, I wasn't a big fan of that particular blade, not open enough or a big enough curve. Here are some things I'm looking for in a new stick, maybe you experts can help.
Intermediate Stick. I'm a smaller guy and would probably have to cut down the intermediate stick an inch to get it at the proper spot for me. That's why a 65 flex would be great for me, considering I'm 145 lbs.

The Forsberg stick I'm using now always wears down on the heel of the blade, so I take that to mean I need a lower lie. Problem is, it's a lie of 5 and I can't find anything lower. I guess that means I like to carry the puck out far in front of me or I have a serious skating flaw lol.

Blade Pattern- I don't really know a lot about this, and wanted your guys opinion. I felt that the Forsberg pattern I had was too closed and too straight, not letting me get the most out of my shot. I'm looking for something a little more open, with more curve on it.

Sorry for the long post and If you're still reading I appreciate it. I know it's a tall task but if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it.

stick9 05-12-2009 11:17 AM

Do the right thing and get yourself a tapered shaft. You can experiment with curves and lies all day long without wasting the entire stick.

A tapered shaft is a one piece stick before they blade and the shaft are fused together. Same low kick point and all that stuff from it's one piece brother.

Gunnar Stahl 30 05-12-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedWrister (Post 19534080)
Hi, just got a $100 gift card to my local hockey shop. I already have an Easton Sc2 Forsberg Senior, but I had to cut it down a lot and the flex is way over 100. Plus, I wasn't a big fan of that particular blade, not open enough or a big enough curve. Here are some things I'm looking for in a new stick, maybe you experts can help.
Intermediate Stick. I'm a smaller guy and would probably have to cut down the intermediate stick an inch to get it at the proper spot for me. That's why a 65 flex would be great for me, considering I'm 145 lbs.

The Forsberg stick I'm using now always wears down on the heel of the blade, so I take that to mean I need a lower lie. Problem is, it's a lie of 5 and I can't find anything lower. I guess that means I like to carry the puck out far in front of me or I have a serious skating flaw lol.

Blade Pattern- I don't really know a lot about this, and wanted your guys opinion. I felt that the Forsberg pattern I had was too closed and too straight, not letting me get the most out of my shot. I'm looking for something a little more open, with more curve on it.

Sorry for the long post and If you're still reading I appreciate it. I know it's a tall task but if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it.

forsberg curves suck. imo, if you need a lower lie then a 5, i would adjust your skating a bit. im sure it works for some guys, like pros, but its kind of unorthodox imo. keep yout back straighter would be my advice.

i really like the sakic curve. its a mid, open, buts its a 5.5 lie.

lets look at the 5 lie blades since i think anything higher you probably wont like

n easton, you could try a heatly. its a bit like the forsberg but more open and a bit deeper curve

warriors lie's run a bit different, im exactly sure the conversion but i think a 5 lie is like in between a 5 and 5.5 from eastons. i could be wrong so please if anyone knows correct me

that being said, the robitaille is a warrior 4.5 lie, it is a heel curve, i think its more closed though

the smyth may be a bit drastic change from the forsberg. its a big toe curve

in bauer, the gagne curve might be something you like. its open and its a deeper mi curve than the forsberg

imo, i think you might like the gagne the best, then the heatley, then the robitaille.

personally, i skate up more so i like the sakic, or weight curves

the diameter of the intermediate sticks is smaller than the seniors so it will feel different in your hands than the senior

Gunnar Stahl 30 05-12-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stick9 (Post 19534270)
Do the right thing and get yourself a tapered shaft. You can experiment with curves and lies all day long without wasting the entire stick.

A tapered shaft is a one piece stick before they blade and the shaft are fused together. Same low kick point and all that stuff from it's one piece brother.

not alot of blades are tapered, its a smaller selection

WickedWrister 05-12-2009 11:47 AM

Yeah, I was looking at the Heatley and it looks alright. Isn't the Gagne a 6 lie though?

Gunnar Stahl 30 05-12-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedWrister (Post 19534643)
Yeah, I was looking at the Heatley and it looks alright. Isn't the Gagne a 6 lie though?

i think its a bauer 5

http://www.thehockeyshop.com/2005Web.../NikeBauer.jpg

WickedWrister 05-12-2009 12:02 PM

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-blade-patterns.html

This site says it's a 6 so who know, but I'll make sure and check it out when I go to my Hockey store.

*edit* just checked another site and they're all different lol so who know

190Octane 05-12-2009 12:04 PM

In my opinion it's not your skating that would cause that problem, it's likely that your hands are too low.

I second the two piece stick... if you're still experimenting with different blade patterns you shouldn't have a one piece stick. Another advantage of the two piece stick is that you will get better bang for your buck...

http://hockeyoverstock.com/eassyneltshftsr.html

Same performance you would get from a $170 OPS but a big savings and you can change your blade pattern if you don't like it.

cptjeff 05-12-2009 01:18 PM

Two piece stick, tapered, intermediate shafts take senior blades, and yes, there is less selection because they just make top end blades for tapered. Cheap and low end tapered blades don't really exist outside of a few wood models. The reason there's more selection with standard blades is because they make high and low end blades, and blades that simulate a tapered stick like easton's S17 blade... You don't need all that with a tapered setup.

One other thing: Your stick may be too long and your hands too low. try taking an inch off of your stick and pulling your elbows up more.

Stefan It Up 05-12-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stick9 (Post 19534270)
Do the right thing and get yourself a tapered shaft. You can experiment with curves and lies all day long without wasting the entire stick.

A tapered shaft is a one piece stick before they blade and the shaft are fused together. Same low kick point and all that stuff from it's one piece brother.

Seconded.

WickedWrister 05-12-2009 08:26 PM

How do they fuse the blade and the tapered shaft together?

The Kult 05-12-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedWrister (Post 19534080)
Hi, just got a $100 gift card to my local hockey shop. I already have an Easton Sc2 Forsberg Senior, but I had to cut it down a lot and the flex is way over 100. Plus, I wasn't a big fan of that particular blade, not open enough or a big enough curve. Here are some things I'm looking for in a new stick, maybe you experts can help.
Intermediate Stick. I'm a smaller guy and would probably have to cut down the intermediate stick an inch to get it at the proper spot for me. That's why a 65 flex would be great for me, considering I'm 145 lbs.

The Forsberg stick I'm using now always wears down on the heel of the blade, so I take that to mean I need a lower lie. Problem is, it's a lie of 5 and I can't find anything lower. I guess that means I like to carry the puck out far in front of me or I have a serious skating flaw lol.

Blade Pattern- I don't really know a lot about this, and wanted your guys opinion. I felt that the Forsberg pattern I had was too closed and too straight, not letting me get the most out of my shot. I'm looking for something a little more open, with more curve on it.

Sorry for the long post and If you're still reading I appreciate it. I know it's a tall task but if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it.

I use a SC2 Forsberg blade intermediate that I got for 60 bucks. If you have a Dick's Sporting Goods by you check there, thats where I found mine.

I dont like the blade too much either, Im trying to find another. Looking at the Sakic blade but havent found thats under 100. Someone posted a link to Hockey Overstock and i think I might just get some from there

stick9 05-12-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedWrister (Post 19542329)
How do they fuse the blade and the tapered shaft together?

With really good glue....and no I'm not joking.

WickedWrister 05-12-2009 09:41 PM

http://www.hockeyoverstock.com/eass11gstkint.html

Does this look legit? Also, is the length of the stick just the shaft? Because 58 inches (length of the intermediate stick) doesn't reach my nose, yet I've held easton intermediates and theyre taller than my nose.

Hockeyfan68 05-12-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedWrister (Post 19543689)

If you only weigh about 120-130lbs maybe since the flex is so low.

WickedWrister 05-12-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 (Post 19543775)
If you only weigh about 120-130lbs maybe since the flex is so low.

145, but I'm 5 foot 6 so I figured I'd have to cut it down.

Hockeyfan68 05-12-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedWrister (Post 19544083)
145, but I'm 5 foot 6 so I figured I'd have to cut it down.

Nice! My shafts are cut down a bit from its 87 flex to make them about 100-105 maybe.

I should have a 115 flex.

That stick may work for you if you get it.

Devil Dancer 05-12-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedWrister (Post 19543689)
http://www.hockeyoverstock.com/eass11gstkint.html

Does this look legit? Also, is the length of the stick just the shaft? Because 58 inches (length of the intermediate stick) doesn't reach my nose, yet I've held easton intermediates and theyre taller than my nose.

Thanks for the link, I might have to pick one of those up. And FYI I'm almost exactly your size (5'6 140) and I use a NB Intermediate 67 flex, so this stick should work for you.

EDIT: I was referring to the NB Vapor XXV

WickedWrister 05-13-2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Dancer (Post 19544901)
Thanks for the link, I might have to pick one of those up. And FYI I'm almost exactly your size (5'6 140) and I use a NB Intermediate 67 flex, so this stick should work for you.

EDIT: I was referring to the NB Vapor XXV

You might be stronger or weaker than me so this could be a difficult question but how much does this stick flex? Do you ever feel like you're going to break the stick?

The Tikkanen 05-13-2009 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 19535838)
Two piece stick, tapered, intermediate shafts take senior blades, and yes, there is less selection because they just make top end blades for tapered. Cheap and low end tapered blades don't really exist outside of a few wood models. The reason there's more selection with standard blades is because they make high and low end blades, and blades that simulate a tapered stick like easton's S17 blade... You don't need all that with a tapered setup.

One other thing: Your stick may be too long and your hands too low. try taking an inch off of your stick and pulling your elbows up more.

Agreed, stick is too long. As a rule of thumb when I'm on bare feet the stick should come up to my nose and my chin on skates. Anything longer than that and the puck will flutter when I shoot it instead of getting that nice, hard shot off.

Devil Dancer 05-13-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedWrister (Post 19546080)
You might be stronger or weaker than me so this could be a difficult question but how much does this stick flex? Do you ever feel like you're going to break the stick?

No, I never feel like it's about to break, but I do feel the bend and the whip action when I take a wrist shot. And that's how it should be.

If you want to experiment, you can pick up a NB Vapor Apollo Intermediate for cheap and see how you like it. It's a low quality stick, but it will give you a feel for an intermediate flex.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.