HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   has Thomas Pck been signed by us?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=64206)

Habs4ever 03-22-2004 06:13 PM

has Thomas Pck been signed by us??

on another board, poster is saying team 990 said montreal signed Tomas pock is it true??

if its true this is his bio

Thomas Pck, D
(Senior, University of Massachusetts)

If finesse could ever describe an NCAA defenseman, then Thomas Pck (pronounced poke) is most likely to fit the description. The centerman turned offensive defenseman led UMass in every offensive category this season. Pck also led the nation with 34 points (14 goals, 20 assists), points per game (1.03) and goals (14) among defensemen. In addition to points, Pck also led the Minutemen in power play goals with nine. An exceptionally smooth skater with great speed and acceleration, he has no trouble keeping up with opposing forwards. While much has been written and said about Pcks offensive abilities, his defensive abilities are quite good as well. Pck had his best performance of the season back on December 28th in the game versus host Vermont in the Sheraton/Bank North Holiday Classic Tournament. His performance earned him the first of two Hockey East Player of the Week honors. He also earned Defensive Player of the Week honors back on November 10th after a stellar performance in the weekend series versus Merrimack.

Shazbot 03-22-2004 06:26 PM

sounds great. i hope it's true. is he a big guy?

didjuicythat 03-22-2004 06:28 PM

Wow! I sure hope it's true!
That would be a great move by Gainey! Another Hobey Baker award finalist! :p

He's an offensive-minded defenseman, here's his profile:

http://umassathletics.ocsn.com/sport..._thomas00.html

He's 6"1 and 208 pounds. Born in 1981.

Marc the Habs Fan 03-22-2004 06:29 PM

Holy sh** NHL network was showing a game yesterday afternoon between U-Mass and Maine and this kid was pretty damn good offensively for a d-man(albeit a risky kind of d-man in his zone) but he's a fine prospect they say.

leafaholix* 03-22-2004 06:29 PM

That would be a terrific signing by Gainey.

Moumni_Bachir 03-22-2004 06:29 PM

hahaha Puck!

Ok ok elle tait paaaas drole.

And another great move by Gainey!

penopekoo 03-22-2004 06:30 PM

It would be nice, but I don't see it happening. Could be wrong, but where would they put him?

Moumni_Bachir 03-22-2004 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penopekoo
It would be nice, but I don't see it happening. Could be wrong, but where would they put him?

AHL, probably...

didjuicythat 03-22-2004 06:38 PM

so... can anyone confirm? :dunno:

Dutchy 03-22-2004 06:38 PM

All right, we'll need confirmation ASAP, because I'm building an altar for BG and I'm wondering how big I'll make the damn thing.

penopekoo 03-22-2004 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moumni_Bachir
AHL, probably...

But they already have enough defensemen. And with Flood already trying out for a spot? Wouldn't that be nine d-men in Hamilton?

Plante, Hainsey, Vydareny, Cote, Traverse, Flood, Archer, Beauchemin

Plus they've got Shasby in the ECHL who's been making quite a case for himself recently.

Marc the Habs Fan 03-22-2004 06:40 PM

Im listening to team 990 and they have some garbage radio from USA on right now but they should have a local sports update soon...

edit: it's not a LOCAL sports update..but a ESPN one..damn it. :mad:

Guy Caballero 03-22-2004 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchy
All right, we'll need confirmation ASAP, because I'm building an altar for BG and I'm wondering how big I'll make the damn thing.

Yeah, this definitely needs to be confirmed before we start pencilling him into our 2005 lineup.

Duff88 03-22-2004 06:43 PM

That would be a great move, which might either boom in a big way or be completely useless. IMO, Pck will either become a great offensive-minded D or he'll play his whole career in the AHL/Europe.

didjuicythat 03-22-2004 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penopekoo
But they already have enough defensemen. And with Flood already trying out for a spot? Wouldn't that be nine d-men in Hamilton?

Plante, Hainsey, Vydareny, Cote, Traverse, Flood, Archer, Beauchemin

Plus they've got Shasby in the ECHL who's been making quite a case for himself recently.

Well, out of those guys, there are at least two that could be sent to the ECHL, as Archer and most importantly have proved nothing. Meanwhile, Pck, from what I've heard, is really something to see for his offensive game. Do you know any GM that wouldn't accept bringing in a Hobey Baker award finalist simply because there's not enough room on his AHL team? I don't. :rolly:

BruinsGirl 03-22-2004 06:44 PM

I was watching Hockey East finals UMASS - UMAINE on Saturday.

Terrific game..UMASS lost in the 3rd OT. I think Pock played a very strong game(who would've thought UMASS Amherst would beat UNH and advance to the finals?).

penopekoo 03-22-2004 06:44 PM

Judging by the lack of further information on this, I'm going to assume it was merely a rumour. It seems odd they'd make another college signing now seeing as how they just signed one and are trying out Brent Robinson in Hamilton. Plus Pock would probably want to sign with another organization - with us he'd probably end up in the ECHL, but there are many teams that could find a spot for him in the AHL.

CoupeStanley 03-22-2004 06:50 PM

Wow, if Gainey pulls that one it's great!

I mean, when you add 2 Hobey Baker finalist to your prospect pool, it's amazing..

Do you think he can turn into another Brian Rafalski ?

RichardZednik#20 03-22-2004 06:52 PM

That signature(if it really happen) would make Ron Hainsey more expendable, no :dunno:

Marc the Habs Fan 03-22-2004 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
Do you think he can turn into another Brian Rafalski ?

I think he has more size than Rafalski. Watching the game yesterday he reminded me of Markov before Markov became so good defensively. I don't know if he has the defensive awareness Markov has but offensively Pock is very very good.

CoupeStanley 03-22-2004 07:17 PM

While, right now it is unconfirmed.

The Danis signed have been unconfirmed for a while too...

I doubt that some media would start rumours just for the fun of it on a players that is not known to most hockey fan.

Habsaku 03-22-2004 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
While, right now it is unconfirmed.

The Danis signed have been unconfirmed for a while too...

I doubt that some media would start rumours just for the fun of it on a players that is not known to most hockey fan.

Huh? I hope you just mispelled the 2nd line, it was comfirmed a few days ago by RDS'

CoupeStanley 03-22-2004 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habsaku
Huh? I hope you just mispelled the 2nd line, it was comfirmed a few days ago by RDS'

Yeah, I mean that when it first came out on HF it was uncomfirmed too.. for a couple of hours

kobe 03-22-2004 07:32 PM

i didn't hear anything on this signing on the team 990. Think it's a joke (bad joke!) or perhaps wishful thinking on someone's part. I wouldn't bet on this signing folks

penopekoo 03-22-2004 07:34 PM

The original poster sent his message at around 6pm. It's now 8.30pm. Nothing on RDS, nothing on any radio stations. I think it's safe to assume it isn't true. Anyway, don't you think it's odd that only ONE person heard this team 990 broadcast?

Oh well, I suppose we could still sign him in the future, but I doubt we're going to be able to offer him more cash than the likes of Detroit or Colorado... or even the Rangers, who seem to be trying to start their own little youth movement.