HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   My Prelimiary Top 20 Prospects for 2004 Draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=64286)

Edge 03-23-2004 05:09 AM

My Preliminary Top 20 Prospects for 2004 Draft

This is where it stands at the moment. Players will rise and fall before the draft, I'll revise it several times. If someone wants to sticky it, fine. If not, fine.

It's earlier than usual, but I know I'm gonna be busy and people are hounding me so here goes.

This isn't a mock draft. Just my personal opinions. Not everyone will agree, but you at least know where i stand...in March.

1. Ovchekin
2. Malkin
3. Olesz
4. Ladd
5. Barker
6. Thelen
7. Tukonen
8. Radulov
9. Schremp
10. Lepisto
11. Bolland
12. Wolski
13. Picard
14. Smid
15. Chipchura
16. Green
17. Garlock
18. Salmonsson
19. O’Neil
20. Dubinsky

stardog 03-23-2004 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
This is where it stands at the moment. Players will rise and fall before the draft, I'll revise it several times. If someone wants to sticky it, fine. If not, fine.

It's earlier than usual, but I know I'm gonna be busy and people are hounding me so here goes.

This isn't a mock draft. Just my personal opinions. Not everyone will agree, but you at least know where i stand...in March.

1. Ovchekin
2. Malkin
3. Olesz
4. Ladd
5. Barker
6. Thelen
7. Tukonen
8. Radulov
9. Schremp
10. Lepisto
11. Bolland
12. Wolski
13. Picard
14. Smid
15. Chipchura
16. Green
17. Garlock
18. Salmonsson
19. O’Neil
20. Dubinsky

You're missing Boris Valabik. No way he lasts that long IMO. I think he goes anywhere from 12-17.

Edge 03-23-2004 05:28 AM

wasn't as high on him.

like i said, as of right now that's my list. it's not a mockdraft,it's my rankings.

Schremp could go anywhere from 5 to 25, but splitting the difference between potential and results I put him 9th.

jas 03-23-2004 06:25 AM

So, if the Rangers don't get Ladd...

Quote:

wasn't as high on him.

like i said, as of right now that's my list. it's not a mockdraft,it's my rankings.

Schremp could go anywhere from 5 to 25, but splitting the difference between potential and results I put him 9th.

but get Barker, and then trade up to get Chipchura, would you be satisfied?

stardog 03-23-2004 06:27 AM

Quote:

wasn't as high on him.

Fair enough. I think that if he is around when your pick from Toronto arrives (though I doubt he will be) you should definatley take him. I also think that if your pick falls around # 5 and Barker is on the table, you should take him as well. There is the potential for a major major upgrade to the Rangers blueline future if you do. A#1 and a #2 type D-man all in one fail swoop.

True Blue 03-23-2004 07:32 AM

Based upon any information that I have gleaned

here are my thoughts on the upcoming draft (Rangers-wise).
I really don't see us either getting Ovechkin via lotter or trading up to get him. At that point, I would assume that people are going to jump on Malkin & Olesz. Frankly the injury history scares me a bit. My top pick would be Barker if he's available. If not, then Ladd. As Edge said some time earlier, the draft has MANY questionable offensive player who shy away from contact. Ladd is not one of those. If we were to get Barker and then trade up to get Ladd, I would be very happy. If Barker is gone, then my choices would be to take Ladd at 5 or 6 and hope that Valabik is there w/ the Toronto pick. I would not mind trading up and winding up w/ Ladd & Valabik. IF Ladd AND Barker are both gone by our pick, then I say trade down and take Valabik & Chipchura.
So to sum up, I think that Ovechkin is a pipe dream and doubt that we'll have a chance to take him or Malkin & Olesz. Then, I think we would emerge winners if we get 2 of Barker, Ladd, Valabik & Chipchura. We would be BIG winners if we can somehow emerge w/ Barker and one of the others and REALLY BIG winners if we can net Barker & Ladd.

Bacchus 03-23-2004 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
I really don't see us either getting Ovechkin via lotter or trading up to get him.

I'll second that. And I think we could need help everywhere, not just on the wing. So my choice would be Barker.

Edge, what do you think of Tukonen? I like him a lot and he might be available if we finish 6th or 7th.

Kubera55 03-23-2004 08:26 AM

Put me down as very interested in the Barker/Ladd combo. I wonder if TOR's pick and one of the 2nd rounders would be enough to move in for a 2nd top ten pick? Probably take a bit more, but worth exploring.

Part of what concerns me about the Rangers prospect depth is that they really have no size up front (other than Jessiman). Most of the bigger forwards (Falardeau, Jonasen, Stals, Giroux, Kosak, G.Moore) project as depth/role guys who'll make their livings on the 3rd and 4th lines. Almost all of the skills 'top six' type of guys (Lundmark, Balej, Immonen, D.Moore, Dawes, Prucha, Marek, Roche) are either small, or play a small man's game.

Getting 1 or 2 legitimate top six forwards with a power game out of this draft would be huge. And from what I've read, Ladd would be a terrific choice in the bottom half of the top 10. Just not sure if he's top five material . . .

One guy I'm very curious about is Schremp. Has anyone actually seen him play? The scouting articles I've found on him are simply amazing . . . I'm curious if he's really that good. I'm not saying I'd draft him, but Sather can never resist a project. If Schremp's ceiling is really as high as people say, then I'd expect Sather to take him if he's available (and Ovechkin's not).

Larry Melnyk 03-23-2004 08:54 AM

Quote:

1. Ovchekin
2. Malkin
3. Olesz
4. Ladd
5. Barker
6. Thelen
7. Tukonen
8. Radulov
9. Schremp
10. Lepisto
11. Bolland
12. Wolski
13. Picard
14. Smid
15. Chipchura
16. Green
17. Garlock
18. Salmonsson
19. O’Neil
20. Dubinsky

Edge - good list...And, believe it or not, I think we agree mostly...I'm not at the stage where I can put up a top 20 and probably never will be..:)...But unless we win the lottery and get a shot at Ovechkin, I'm against putting the eggs in one basket and trying to trade up (which I think Pitt or Columbus would be silly to do anyway).....Staying at #5 or #6, the two guys that I like are RADULOV and THELEN...I like Thelen better then Barker and Radulov and his skill/upside really intrigues me...Unlike you, I really haven't seen most of these guys play and am going on what I read and gut feeling, but RADULOV or THELEN are who I want to see as Rangers with the first pick....Not saying I was right, But I wanted Jessiman last year from the get go and didn't want to consider anybody else, so take heed..:)

in the hall 03-23-2004 09:29 AM

wow chipchura is low.. looking at other mock drafts it seems you arent the only one of this opinion... why has his stock fallen?

leafaholix* 03-23-2004 09:33 AM

You're missing two major goalies... Marek Schwarz and Alvaro Montoya.

Bluenote13 03-23-2004 09:48 AM

Good list Edge, here's mine(i'm not including Goalies, i don't think we should use a pick on one until after the 2nd round, if at all........

1)Ovechkin
2)Malkin
3)Barker
4)Olesz
5)Ladd
6)Thelen
7)Schremp
8)Wolski
9)Valabik
10)Green
11)Bolland
12)Lisin
13)Tukonen
14)Fransson
15)Stafford
16)Smid
17)Radulov
18)Berti
19)Lyamin
20)Meszaros

I really like Thelen & Valabik, hope we can get one of them somehow. I'd be happy if we got Ladd then either of those D-men. Ovechkin is a great player, but i'd be cautious as to how much we'd have to trade to land the #1 overall.

Edge - your thoughts on Lyamin, Berti & Lisin?

in the hall 03-23-2004 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Good list Edge, here's mine(i'm not including Goalies, i don't think we should use a pick on one until after the 2nd round, if at all........

1)Ovechkin
2)Malkin
3)Barker
4)Olesz
5)Ladd
6)Thelen
7)Schremp
8)Wolski
9)Valabik
10)Green
11)Bolland
12)Lisin
13)Tukonen
14)Fransson
15)Stafford
16)Smid
17)Radulov
18)Berti
19)Lyamin
20)Meszaros

I really like Thelen & Valabik, hope we can get one of them somehow. I'd be happy if we got Ladd then either of those D-men. Ovechkin is a great player, but i'd be cautious as to how much we'd have to trade to land the #1 overall.

wow chipchura not even in the top 20??? what have i missed about this kid i thought he was one of the top rated players?

Bluenote13 03-23-2004 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall
wow chipchura not even in the top 20??? what have i missed about this kid i thought he was one of the top rated players?

He's around #22 on my list. He's ranked #1 in NA but he can't score a point in his playoff games yet?!?

One night he's a force, the next he turns invisible. That the kind of player you'd take top ten? Great set of skills, but why is he so inconsistent? I saw him play a bad WHL team where Kyle had 1 goal, 3 assists, then the next two games he had zero points and maybe one good scoring chance that he setup. That was early in the season, maybe he's gotten better, but thats not what i've been hearing.

Dorthmall 03-23-2004 11:02 AM

Edge, just curious, but what do you think about Fransson? I've heard some pretty good things about him.

Edge 03-23-2004 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jas
but get Barker, and then trade up to get Chipchura, would you be satisfied?

posibly. its way too early to look into that.

i wouldnt be opposed to Chipchura, just not with a top ten.

He looks like a future NHL'er, just not a scoring one.

Edge 03-23-2004 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franz
I'll second that. And I think we could need help everywhere, not just on the wing. So my choice would be Barker.

Edge, what do you think of Tukonen? I like him a lot and he might be available if we finish 6th or 7th.

I like him. I think he's got a well rounded game and he's got top 6 potential.

Similar to Olesz in the sense that Ovchekin and Malkin are stealing the attention but he's got great potential himself.

Pedrostallion 03-23-2004 04:51 PM

Dubinsky in the top 20, really?

From what I can see he does have some skill and is a great little mouthpiece, with the key word being little....heck, he turtled in a fight against Nigel Dawes this year.

Just don't see him being top 20 material especially above a guy like Lammers. The points were there last year and I think he will be drafted but can't see him in the top couple rounds.

Edge 03-23-2004 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubera55
One guy I'm very curious about is Schremp. Has anyone actually seen him play? The scouting articles I've found on him are simply amazing . . . I'm curious if he's really that good. I'm not saying I'd draft him, but Sather can never resist a project. If Schremp's ceiling is really as high as people say, then I'd expect Sather to take him if he's available (and Ovechkin's not).

The talent is there, but he just didn't take it up a level this year. i dont buy into the character concerns, etc. They kid has personality, that's all.

Having said that he just didn't evolve as much as i would have liked to see.

If he decides he wants it, he is right up there with Ovhcekin and Malkin in terms of pure talent and potential.

It's all up to him.

There are many reasons for his "disappointing" season. He could be bored or he could be plateauing. It depends on what you choose to believe.

I'd like to see him work a little harder at times and pay the price more, but there is no denying the talent is immensive.

Edge 03-23-2004 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall
wow chipchura is low.. looking at other mock drafts it seems you arent the only one of this opinion... why has his stock fallen?

Concerns about scoring upside. He does everything else but score.

He's a very good kid and a very good player. You just wonder how his scoring projects and it's at least a little concerning that he didn't even reach 20 goals.

Edge 03-23-2004 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafaholix
You're missing two major goalies... Marek Schwarz and Alvaro Montoya.

They're good but i honestly couldn't put them in my top 20.

I think i could easily put em in the next group of five but when push came to shove, i left em off my top 20.

Edge 03-23-2004 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorthmall
Edge, just curious, but what do you think about Fransson? I've heard some pretty good things about him.

I like him personally. He's a big kid who has potential, though not top line potential.

But i think there are concerns about his upside. A few people think he might be the next Jens Karlsson who has been disappointing since being drafted.

He's probably a guy you take in the 20's and hope for a good return.

Edge 03-23-2004 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13

Lyman reminds me a lot of Krill Safrinov {sp} during his draft year.

I honestly didn't see Lisin so i couldnt comment.

Berti disappointed me a little.

He was badly hurt last year, but i still expected more from him this season.

17 goals i can live with but, he really didnt use his size and create room for himself out there. He's a guy i'd look for possibly in the second round of the third.

If he regains his confidence and starts creating room, he'll make things a lot easier for himself.

Bluenote13 03-23-2004 05:05 PM

Quote:

I like him personally. He's a big kid who has potential, though not top line potential.

But i think there are concerns about his upside. A few people think he might be the next Jens Karlsson who has been disappointing since being drafted.

He's probably a guy you take in the 20's and hope for a good return.

Johan Fransson? He's not that big Edge, you sure you're talking about the same player? Fransson is a 6'0 185 offensive D-man.

Bluenote13 03-23-2004 05:09 PM

Quote:

Lyman reminds me a lot of Krill Safrinov {sp} during his draft year.

I honestly didn't see Lisin so i couldnt comment.

Berti disappointed me a little.

He was badly hurt last year, but i still expected more from him this season.

17 goals i can live with but, he really didnt use his size and create room for himself out there. He's a guy i'd look for possibly in the second round of the third.

If he regains his confidence and starts creating room, he'll make things a lot easier for himself.

Thanks Edge, those were three guys i've had limited viewing on. Though i did see the Prospects game where Berti played well. And I like Lyamin, nice his upside.