HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Luongo to Flyers? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=642965)

Coolix 05-15-2009 01:53 PM

Luongo to Flyers?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BleacherReport.com

For Philadelphia Flyers fans, each and every year is filled with spectacular rumors of trades, free agent acquisitions and the like. Some hold water, most do not. Thus is life in a sports town filled with spiritually devoted zealots as fans and a brazen media that perpetuates the cycle of rampant speculation.

After a disappointing season capped off with a stretch run stumble and 1st round playoff exit, key players becoming free agents and a tight salary cap situation this offseason looks to be just as "gossipy" as any in recent memory.

The new star of this weekly reality show is Vancouver Canucks netminder Roberto Luongo. Luongo is set to become a free agent after the 2009-2010 season and Canucks GM Mike Gillis has expressed an interest in exploring trading Luongo in fear of losing him for nothing (see Panthers and Jay Bouwmeester). The Canucks are in fear of not being able to resign their star first line players Daniel and Henrik Sedin, whom are unrestricted free agents July 1st, in part because of Luongo's $7.5 million salary next year as well as the possibility of a shrinking salary cap.

Tough choice for Gillis. Lose pretty much your entire first line for nothing or lose your goalie and get back some valuable pieces in return. Among the pieces rumored are center Danny Briere, winger Joffrey Lupul and former 2nd overall pick James van Riemsdyk. Adding potentially 3 "top 6" forwards to a team is something that any GM would contemplate, especially for a Canuck team that ranked a respectable 11th in the league in goals per game, but face the possibility of losing Mats Sundin to "retirement".

The Flyers have been in a desperate search for a goaltender since the days of Bernie Parent. Ron Hextall had flashes of brilliance but never was able to put it together after a magical rookie season in 1986-1987. Names like Soderstrom, Vanbiesbrouck, Cechmanek, Boucher, Esche and Biron are just a few that have gone through the revolving door.

For Flyers fans I sincerely hope this offseason is more like "Extreme Makeover: The Goalie Edition" and not Punk'd.

Source

None Shall Pass 05-15-2009 02:07 PM

A "Bleacher Report" that Luongo could possibly be a Flyer one day is hardly a rumor. It's just some dude who thinks it'd be a good idea.

FruityPants3* 05-15-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Danny Briere, winger Joffrey Lupul and former 2nd overall pick James van Riemsdyk
Briere? The exact kind of contract Gillis has said he won't touch? Hahahaha.

No but seriously.

Drop the Sopel 05-15-2009 02:10 PM

:laugh: That guy is speculating, and not very intelligent speculation either.

Briere? Lupul? The Canucks are going to take 2 guy's with negative value for one of the league's premier players? Not even in the ballpark buddy.

If The Canucks and Flyers were to talk about a deal surrounding Luongo it starts with names like Jeff Carter, Claude Giroux, Van Riemsdyk and Sbisa in the mix.

I wouldn't call that a 'source'.

Coolix 05-15-2009 02:12 PM

Apparently ESPN and Canada.com had said something about it, also.

GKJ 05-15-2009 02:12 PM

Why would the Canucks trade him

Barney Gumble 05-15-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 19584603)
Why would the Canucks trade him

Because they can't afford him but can afford to take on $10.75 million in salary coming back the other way.:sarcasm:

BillyShoe1721 05-15-2009 02:13 PM

I can only hope we could get Luongo for those guys.

Laoghaire 05-15-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolix (Post 19584353)

You know this guy is intelligent because he believes Luongo's 7.5 million for next year will stop them from re-signing the Sedins, but Briere's 6.5 for the next 6 years and Lupul's 4.25 for the next 4 wont.

Crosberry87 05-15-2009 02:16 PM

I am probably the biggest anti-Briere person on Earth. If I were Vancouver I would demand Carter.

NFITO 05-15-2009 02:24 PM

so many holes there...

first off he actually states that Gillis has explored options to trade Luongo?

Gillis hasn't said any such thing... he's actually said - on numerous occasions - that he wouldn't look to trade any player that has a NTC and wouldn't ask them to even waive that NTC... so either Gillis is flat out lying or the writer here is making stuff up? or Luongo has already asked Gillis to explore trade options?

not to mention bringing up Briere, again Gillis has gone on about the exact type of contract that he doesn't want to give out, but he'll acquire one as part of a deal for his franchise player?

basically, it's hard to take an article seriously when they say stuff like that, where the GM has repeatedly said the opposite...

this looks like a Flyer fan's fantasy more than anything else... dropping a contract that you would have to in order to fit Luongo (without considering that the team you are moving him to has said many many times they won't add contracts like that), while not giving up better quality assets like Richards or Carter.

twenty2 05-15-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel (Post 19584571)
:laugh: That guy is speculating, and not very intelligent speculation either.

Briere? Lupul? The Canucks are going to take 2 guy's with negative value for one of the league's premier players? Not even in the ballpark buddy.

If The Canucks and Flyers were to talk about a deal surrounding Luongo it starts with names like Jeff Carter, Claude Giroux, Van Riemsdyk and Sbisa in the mix.

I wouldn't call that a 'source'.

Lupul does not have negative value. Briere does only because of his age, not because of his production or cap hit. Both contracts are fair in terms of the production that comes along with them.

So yeah, you're not even in the ballpark.

As for names like Carter, Giroux, JVR, and Sbisa...

Carter:
24 yo sniping center with size, defensive capabilities, and speed who finished 2nd in the league in goals with a $5.00m cap hit for 2 more seasons before RFA status

Luongo:
30 yo top 3 NHL goaltender with a $6.75m cap hit for 1 more season before UFA status

The pieces are pretty similar in value. Carter is going to be a dominant center for a long time, and Luongo is arguably the best goaltender. Carter's salary will obviously increase in 2 years, but the Flyers have already prepared for that financially. On top of that he will still be tradable as an RFA if he doesn't want to re-sign in Vancouver at the end of his contract. Luongo's cap hit will likely jump up even more after one more season that is even IF he wants to re-sign with Philadelphia.

I don't care that the Flyers haven't had a goalie since Hextall...there is far too much risk involved with picking up Luongo. The Flyers don't need that kind of risk for their best offensive player last season let alone other pieces like Giroux, JVR, Sbisa, and/or 1st.

If the Flyers are talking to the Canucks it's about pieces like Briere, Lupul, Carle, and POSSIBLY Gagne with possibly JVR and a 1st in the mix. The Flyers are not talking to the Canucks about Carter or Giroux or Richards.

If that's not enough to get Luongo then we will move on. I'm not interested in Roberto for what Canucks fans say they want.

lennie 05-15-2009 02:26 PM

"Canucks GM Mike Gillis has expressed an interest in exploring trading Luongo in fear of losing him for nothing"

Really???

DougGilmour93 05-15-2009 02:27 PM

I don't think Philly management is intelligent enough to fill a need. they've needed a goalie for how many years now? Thwey have some pretty great teams over the years and it's always been eveident that a true #1 netminder was what they needed, and yet, they never were capable of getting one. They always went the cheap route, stop gaps. Where has that gotten them?

I'd be very surprised to see Luongo in the Black and orange any time soon. Philly doesn't seem to be the type of team that is willing to pay for a true #1.

twenty2 05-15-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 (Post 19584816)
I don't think Philly management is intelligent enough to fill a need. they've needed a goalie for how many years now? Thwey have some pretty great teams over the years and it's always been eveident that a true #1 netminder was what they needed, and yet, they never were capable of getting one. They always went the cheap route, stop gaps. Where has that gotten them?

I'd be very surprised to see Luongo in the Black and orange any time soon. Philly doesn't seem to be the type of team that is willing to pay for a true #1.

Fine Toronto can go get him. Have fun.

DougGilmour93 05-15-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twenty2 (Post 19584831)
Fine Toronto can go get him. Have fun.

No interest in him. He's a cry baby. Just like Carey Price....lol :laugh:

twenty2 05-15-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 (Post 19584885)
No interest in him. He's a cry baby. Just like Carey Price....lol :laugh:

Good because "I don't think Toronto management is intelligent enough to fill a need. they've needed a goalie for how many years now? Thwey have some pretty crappy teams over the years and it's always been eveident that a true #1 netminder was what they needed, and yet, they never were capable of getting one. They always went the cheap route, stop gaps. Where has that gotten them?

I'd be very surprised to see Luongo in the blue and white any time soon. Toronto doesn't seem to be the type of team that is willing to pay for a true #1."

There you go.

Please, once again, go worry about the Leafs and leave the Flyers out of whatever you're talking about.

Drop the Sopel 05-15-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twenty2 (Post 19584771)
Lupul does not have negative value. Briere does only because of his age, not because of his production or cap hit. Both contracts are fair in terms of the production that comes along with them.
So yeah, you're not even in the ballpark.

As for names like Carter, Giroux, JVR, and Sbisa...

Carter:
24 yo sniping center with size, defensive capabilities, and speed who finished 2nd in the league in goals with a $5.00m cap hit for 2 more seasons before RFA status

Luongo:
30 yo top 3 NHL goaltender with a $6.75m cap hit for 1 more season before UFA status

The pieces are pretty similar in value. Carter is going to be a dominant center for a long time, and Luongo is arguably the best goaltender. Carter's salary will obviously increase in 2 years, but the Flyers have already prepared for that financially. On top of that he will still be tradable as an RFA if he doesn't want to re-sign in Vancouver at the end of his contract. Luongo's cap hit will likely jump up even more after one more season that is even IF he wants to re-sign with Philadelphia.

I don't care that the Flyers haven't had a goalie since Hextall...there is far too much risk involved with picking up Luongo. The Flyers don't need that kind of risk for their best offensive player last season let alone other pieces like Giroux, JVR, Sbisa, and/or 1st.

If the Flyers are talking to the Canucks it's about pieces like Briere, Lupul, Carle, and POSSIBLY Gagne with possibly JVR and a 1st in the mix. The Flyers are not talking to the Canucks about Carter or Giroux or Richards.

If that's not enough to get Luongo then we will move on. I'm not interested in Roberto for what Canucks fans say they want.

Yeah, you didn't really convince me Briere does not have negative value. Lupul may have value to some teams but he's not the type of player the Canucks are after. So like I said, both have negative value to the Canucks.

Briere, Lupul, Carle for Luongo? Good luck with that. One thing you were right about, move on.

northernKing 05-15-2009 02:46 PM

MTL-Briere and VAN 2nd rd pick
PHIL-Luongo
VAN- Kostitsyn brothers, JVR and PHIL 1st rd pick

twenty2 05-15-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel (Post 19584959)
Yeah, you didn't really convince me Briere does not have negative value. Lupul may have value to some teams but he's not the type of player the Canucks are after. So like I said, both have negative value to the Canucks.

Briere, Lupul, Carle for Luongo? Good luck with that. One thing you were right about, move on.

Negative value and negative value for the Canucks are two different things.

And I didn't say it was a package of Briere, Lupul, and Carle for Luongo. That'd be dumb for both sides. If a Flyers' forward gets moved for relatively ANYONE in the NHL it will likely be Briere OR Lupul. Not both. Luongo isn't worth the offense we'd lose by giving up both of them.

And yes I know I was right about it.

DougGilmour93 05-15-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twenty2 (Post 19584925)
Good because "I don't think Toronto management is intelligent enough to fill a need. they've needed a goalie for how many years now? Thwey have some pretty crappy teams over the years and it's always been eveident that a true #1 netminder was what they needed, and yet, they never were capable of getting one. They always went the cheap route, stop gaps. Where has that gotten them?

I'd be very surprised to see Luongo in the blue and white any time soon. Toronto doesn't seem to be the type of team that is willing to pay for a true #1."

There you go.

Please, once again, go worry about the Leafs and leave the Flyers out of whatever you're talking about.




Toronto has paid/had goalies in the past. Potvin, Fuhr, Cujo, Belfour...

When was the last time Philly had a true #1? Bernie Parent? Ron Hextall sure didn't count...lol Cechmanek was good but according to Philly fans couldn't play in the playoffs.

twenty2 05-15-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nK (Post 19585022)
MTL-Briere and VAN 2nd rd pick
PHIL-Luongo
VAN- Kostitsyn brothers, JVR and PHIL 1st rd pick

Philadelphia does this deal.

Montreal needs a center right?

I can't see Vancouver wanting to give up a 2nd for just the Kostitsyn brothers. The Flyers could include something else if need be to make this deal work I guess.

twenty2 05-15-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 (Post 19585061)
Toronto has paid/had goalies in the past. Potvin, Fuhr, Cujo, Belfour...

When was the last time Philly had a true #1? Bernie Parent? Ron Hextall sure didn't count...lol Cechmanek was good but according to Philly fans couldn't play in the playoffs.

Yeah obviously Hextall didn't count...that's why his number's retired.

Well if you need a cup to be a true #1 then a lot of TOR goalies are out as well.

jumptheshark 05-15-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolix (Post 19584353)


I love that two of players going back have put the fyers in cap hell, Briere and Lupul. The fklyers are going to try to dump Lupul for anything--his new cotract is a joke for such a one demantianial player

flyes want Luongo--start the offer around Richards or Carter

Haute Couturier 05-15-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twenty2 (Post 19585078)
Yeah obviously Hextall didn't count...that's why his number's retired.

Well if you need a cup to be a true #1 then a lot of TOR goalies are out as well.

Uh no it's not.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.