HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Your Thoughts on solving our centermen issues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=643524)

Caseofcups* 05-17-2009 08:58 PM

Your Thoughts on solving our centermen issues

Let's have em.

overlords 05-17-2009 09:22 PM

Convert latendresse to center.

bahaha.

didouche 05-17-2009 09:26 PM

^^^^lol^^^^

overlords for GM :sarcasm:

Jeffrey 05-17-2009 09:27 PM

Properly develop Ben Maxwell...

Caseofcups* 05-17-2009 09:28 PM

I make a trade with TB for Vinny (I'd be prepared to pay huge except for Markov)

Sign Koivu to a discount (reduced role) - 2nd center

Lapierre becomes #3

Chips is given his last chance to steal the fourth line job from Metro.

Let Komo walk, Let Kovalev walk and the rest of the UFAs. Focus on JBO 8 mill plus and backfill with guys like Dags and Stewart, MaxPac etc,

hhuett 05-17-2009 09:28 PM

resign Lang for about 2.5 m a year

HabsAtak 05-17-2009 09:38 PM

Well the only way we are going to upgrade at centre is through a trade or two and/or the draft. So, with that being said and I know I will get flamed for this one is:

1) Trade for Lecavalier. As much as his salary is a hinderance, his availability may come cheaper than thought. If the Lightning are in as much financial trouble as rumoured then they will have to accept a lesser deal which may not include Subban, whom I would if I was GM not trade. So, a Pleks, Higgins, Gorges plus another prospect or pick just might do it. Of course, other teams might get into the fray and offer much more. But there are few teams out there that can take is salary.

2) Trade for Wojtek Wolski. A lesser salary and not so proven centre. None-the-less though a big centre. Some say he is soft but he is only 22 so can be worked on. Something like Halak, O'Byrne and Chiphura might get it done.

3) Trade for Nathan Horton. Florida needs a d-man or two to help support their goalie and younger forwards. Norton is only 23 and signed for long term at 4m CAP hit. Not too bad for a big centre. To me though he is more of a #2 centre but having 2 number 2 lines is better than nothing. We could put a package together to get both Norton and the rights to Bouwmeester. Something like Pleks, Gorges, S. Kostitsyn, a prospect and a draft pick might get it done. If at all possible we could convince Florida to take Hamrlik's contract that would be an added bonus.

4) Trade for Briere. This of course is not the ideal choice since he is another tiny centremen. Another drawback is his contract which in my opinion is worse than Lecavaliers. Although, he may come really cheap because Philly needs to shed some top 6 salary in order to sign other players and be in a position CAP wise for the years after this upcoming season. It would probably only take a low salary current NHL player like Halak, a prospect like Carle and a future prospect like Fischer to get him. You have to remember that Philly cant take too much salary back so think before you flame this one.

5) Trade for Evgeni Malkin. Yes this may be a possibilty, just look at the numbers for Pitt. They are going to be in trouble in 2009-2010 and more importantly 2010-2011 with only about 10ish million to sign 12 or so players. That is of course if the CAP goes down to 50ish million. With that being said they will need to drop a high market player and you bet it wont be Crosby. So, in order to not get fleeced after this year because teams will know that Pitt is desperate you might as well trade him now and get the most in return. No less then Higgins, A. Kostitsyn, Weber, Gorges, plus a top pick or a top prospect (not Subban) would get it done.

6) Draft a centremen. My choice would be Brayden Schenn. Now in order to do this we would need to trade up to the number 4 ot 6 position. This may not be as difficult as you might think. Atlanta is in a position where, in order to keep Kovalchuk, they need to produce now. In order to produce they need NHL players now. Now I do conceed that Brayden Schenn is probably ready for the NHL now. It may be better for Atlanta to get 2 or 3 NHL players that can play now instead of just one. This will show Kovalchuk they are serious and it wont be necessary to trade him before the trade deadline. To get this done though it will be costly. Something like A. Kostitsyn, Chris Higgins, Josh Gorges (or Hamrlik if you can concvince them to take him), Yannick Weber, and the 1-18 in 2009. Plus we could ask for Colby Armstrong in return to go along with the 1-04 pick just to make it even.

A lot of the above is pure speculation of course but that is the way I would go about exploring all the possible ways to land a number one or at least another number 2 centremen.

Some other more of depth at centre possibilities are:

-Trade for Michael Handzus from LA.
-UFA signing of Sami Pahlsson.
-UFA signing of Todd Marchent.
-UFA signing of Mike Cammelleri (although this will be costly and he is small).
-Trade for Jordan Staal from Pitt.
-Trade for Patrice Bergeron from Boston (although I doubt this would happen unless a third team is involved).
-Trade for Patick Marleau from SJ (we would probably lose him after one season though, so not ideal).
-RFA Offer sheet to one of Phil Kessel or David Krejci (Gainey would never do this and frankly neither would I if I was GM).
-Trade for Olie Jokinen from Calgary (he has proven to be a soft player now too though).
-Trade for Shawn Horcoff from EDM (his salary is that of a number 1 centre but he is not a number 1 centre so not an ideal trade unless he comes really, really, cheap).
-Trade for Scott Gomez of NYR (his salary is one of the worse in the NHL though, so, not my first choice by a long shot).
-UFA signings of both Henrik and Daniel Sedin (very costly, around 14m for the both, so may not be the best choice - they do produce. I do believe they will be resigned by Van before July 1st).

That is all I can think of atm.

Takabru

EDIT:

Do not even bother with Sundin.

Le Tricolore 05-17-2009 09:43 PM

Sundin!

overlords 05-17-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseofcups (Post 19605322)
I make a trade with TB for Vinny (I'd be prepared to pay huge except for Markov)

Sign Koivu to a discount (reduced role) - 2nd center

Lapierre becomes #3

Chips is given his last chance to steal the fourth line job from Metro.

Let Komo walk, Let Kovalev walk and the rest of the UFAs. Focus on JBO 8 mill plus and backfill with guys like Dags and Stewart, MaxPac etc,

lecav at 7.x million and jbo at 8?

You seem like a nice guy, i should introduce you to my sister. Her name is SALARY CAP.

Le Tricolore 05-17-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 19605468)

You seem like a nice guy, i should introduce you to my sister. Her name is SALARY CAP.

Your parents have odd choices for names. Is your name No Touch Icing?

overlords 05-17-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tricolore (Post 19605487)
Your parents have odd choices for names. Is your name No Touch Icing?

No, that's my Russian cousin's name though.

My name is Instigator Rule.

People don't like me :(.

vaya 05-17-2009 09:49 PM

pittsburgh has 2 #1 centers in crosby and malkin and jordan staal isn't shabby either. no way they can support all three - maybe they're willing to trade either malkin or staal for a top 6 winger? i doubt we could offer all that much compared to some teams (i'm sure atlanta would give up a LOT to get malkin to play with kovy) but i can sure dream, right?

ZARTONK 05-17-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 19605501)
No, that's my Russian cousin's name though.

My name is Instigator Rule.

People don't like me :(.

lolll nice one

HabsAtak 05-17-2009 09:53 PM

Believe it or not but it is possible to have both Lecavalier and Bouwmeester on the team. Bouwmeester should be able to be signed for around 6.5m per season if he wants more than that he is dreaming. Although, there will be a team out there that offers him that. They won't be about to build a team around him though.

I would offer Bouwmeester a 5 year deal at 32.5m that is right along the lines of Phoenuf's deal.

With the CAP going down this year to 55m or so and to around 50m or lower in 2010-2011 it is going to be necessary for teams to build just one big line if they are going to offer salaries above 5 million for forwards. The other lines will be made up what normally will be third or fourth lines and prospects. Of course prospects can produce so we are going to see a lot more rookies in the league after this season because ELC will allow you to field a team.

More than likely, teams are going to look like this after the 2009-2010 season:

-2 or 3 forwards 5m plus depending on how high above 5m the players salaries are.
-1 or 2 d-men over 5m. Again depending how much over 5m they go.
-1 goalie over 5m if established of course.

The rest will be made of ELC to 3ish million. That is the only way teams are going to be able to meet the roster limit of 23 players. The numbers don't lie and we are going to see a lot of trades either this year because teams want to get the most for the players they need to drop because of CAP restraints or definitly next summer when they realise the CAP is going to be 48m to 50m.

Caseofcups* 05-17-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 19605468)

By letting Komo and some of our other UFAs walk as stated in my post above our salary cap number would actually not go up and would even be a bit lower.

Clumsyhab 05-17-2009 10:00 PM

Lecavalier
Koivu
Lapierre
Metro/Chip/Maxwell

From one of the worst one-two punch to a top 10 best in the league as for Centremen.

HabsAtak 05-17-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaya (Post 19605511)
pittsburgh has 2 #1 centers in crosby and malkin and jordan staal isn't shabby either. no way they can support all three - maybe they're willing to trade either malkin or staal for a top 6 winger? i doubt we could offer all that much compared to some teams (i'm sure atlanta would give up a LOT to get malkin to play with kovy) but i can sure dream, right?

You are right on that Pitt is going to have to dump one of Crosby or Malkin. I would bet on Malkin being moved after the playoff Crosby is having. He is showing pure leadership qualities and you cant trade that away.

I do think Atlanta has what Pitt wants but it would have include the number 4 pick from this years draft and their first round pick from next year. That may get it done plus of course, Colby Armstrong and probably another player.

I do think Montreal also has players that may be what Pitt wants as I stated above.

airlouche 05-17-2009 10:29 PM

1-Better drafting. Kostytin over Carter-Parise and Gezlaf was stupid.
2-Make a trade for Joe Thornton or Lecavalier, yeah I know it's not so easy but we knows that the best UFA dont sign here...

overlords 05-17-2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseofcups (Post 19605559)
By letting Komo and some of our other UFAs walk as stated in my post above our salary cap number would actually not go up and would even be a bit lower.

I'm not saying it's not possible to fit them under the cap, i probably should have elaborated further. I just think that in the coming years where the cap will go freeze and then even drop a bit, it might be dangerous to put 15 million dollars on two players. I also don't think that jaybo is worth 8 million, not even close. But i guess if one gm is willing to give him 7.5, we'd have to outbid right? Kinda frustrating.

HabsAtak 05-17-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airlouche (Post 19605884)
1-Better drafting. Kostytin over Carter-Parise and Gezlaf was stupid.
2-Make a trade for Joe Thornton or Lecavalier, yeah I know it's not so easy but we knows that the best UFA dont sign here...

At the time of picking Kostitsyn he was a highly touted prospect and is still a really good pick. He just got caught up in some shannigans this year but if Gainey is smart he trades Sergei away and that should help the situation.

Out of Carter, Parise and Getzlag, I would have picked Getzlaf. After what I saw him do at the world juniors the year before he would have been my choice. I never did see Kostitsyn or the others play, well Carter but he didn't impress me as much as Getzlaf did. But Kostitsyn was considered a better prospect at the time. Hind-sight is always 20-20 remember.

Believe it or not also, the Habs have drafted pretty well over the last 5 to 8 years. They have produced the most NHL caliber players and more are to come. They just have not had the impact the other teams have had with 2 or 3 of their picks panning out to be big stars. Give it a couple more years and you will see the Habs will have top prospects clammering for NHL jobs and they will be big time prospects.

Thats my 2 cents anyways.

HabsAtak 05-17-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 19605925)
I'm not saying it's not possible to fit them under the cap, i probably should have elaborated further. I just think that in the coming years where the cap will go freeze and then even drop a bit, it might be dangerous to put 15 million dollars on two players. I also don't think that jaybo is worth 8 million, not even close. But i guess if one gm is willing to give him 7.5, we'd have to outbid right? Kinda frustrating.

To be honest if any team offers J-Bo over 6.5m per season they are shooting themselves in the foot. There is no way they will be able to build around him with more than that unless they go with a ton of ELC (entry level contract) players. Once the CAP goes down to 50ish million teams are going to find it hard to sign players to the 20% of the CAP. It just will not make any sense to do that. You will not be able to field a proper team. At least not a very competitive one.

I would say J-Bo should get anywhere from 6-6.5m over 5 years. That should be more than suitable compensation for his play over the years and potential to be the elite d-man we all know he can be or at least hope he can be. It also allows the team to build around properly.

Lets just hope the players realise this and do not try to fleece the owners. If it becomes all about the money to the players then you will see the product on the ice diminish and that will only lower revenues more.

There will definitely be a reality check this summer for both owners and players.

DaHabMan 05-17-2009 11:11 PM

draft and develop PROPERLY
/thread

HH 05-17-2009 11:12 PM

Lecavalier

theboss* 05-18-2009 09:27 AM

Convert O'Byrne to center :sarcasm:

Vasculio 05-18-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey (Post 19605312)
Properly develop Ben Maxwell...

I think that's the main problem within the organisation...