HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Hamilton notes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=64356)

montreal 03-23-2004 11:54 AM

Hamilton notes

BULLDOGS INDIVDUAL PLAYER NOTES

Tomas Plekanec - is just one point shy of 100 points for AHL career

- has posted 99 points (36-63-99) in 143 career AHL games

Alexander Perezhogin - currently fifth in AHL rookie scoring with 43 points (18-25-43)

Chris Higgins - currently sixth in AHL rookie scoring with 42 points (21-21-42)

Jean-Philippe Cote - continues to be the Bulldogs plus/minus leader (+23)

Marc-Andre Thinel - scored his first Bulldogs goal in 5-1 win at St. John's (Mar. 20)

Ron Hainsey - has earned 11 assists in 11 games played in March

This was taken off the Dogs site. Their next game is friday, should be fun to listen to. Danis, Robinson and Flood have joined the Dogs already. Don't know if they will play friday or not.

Darz 03-23-2004 11:59 AM

Dan, any idea what role Danis is going to have in Hamilton the rest of this year. I apologize if you have answered this already.

montreal 03-23-2004 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
Dan, any idea what role Danis is going to have in Hamilton the rest of this year. I apologize if you have answered this already.

I don't know. Fichaud is out due to shoulder injury and won't be back this year. That leaves Damphousse, Michaud and Danis. Jarvis has been going with Damphousse every game but 1 since he's returned from a thumb injury. Jarvis said in a pregame interveiw that Michaud was shaky in a few games, but his last start the other day he was solid. If Danis shows he can handle the AHL, I would guess he will be the backup and Michaud sent to Columbus. Jarvis seems to like to go with Damphousse, so the early guess would be Damphousse the starter. Danis may play or he may not get in any games for all I know. Just being around the team as the look to clinch a playoff spot on friday is good for him. I would think he'll be the starter next year, but I don't know if Jarvis will go with a kid that's never played in the AHL. We'll see, as the Dogs have 6 games left.

Darz 03-23-2004 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
Just being around the team as the look to clinch a playoff spot on friday is good for him.

Ya that is what I was sort of thinking. Maybe just to learn some of the in's and out's of the pro game in anticepation of next year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
I would think he'll be the starter next year, but I don't know if Jarvis will go with a kid that's never played in the AHL. We'll see, as the Dogs have 6 games left.

This is where I wonder if Jarvis would be tempted to give him a start or two before the regular season ends. I mean there is a good chance he is already the best goalie there, so......

montreal 03-23-2004 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz
Ya that is what I was sort of thinking. Maybe just to learn some of the in's and out's of the pro game in anticepation of next year.

This is where I wonder if Jarvis would be tempted to give him a start or two before the regular season ends. I mean there is a good chance he is already the best goalie there, so......

Yes I would hope Jarvis gives him a look or two, but he rides Damphousse, so we'll have to see. He played JF in 3 games in 3 days which was part of him playing 4 games in 5 days, all right after coming back from injury. So he went from having a moth off, to 4 games in 5 days, 3 of them in 3 days. Either he has little confidence in Michaud (3 games in 3 days is harsh, let alone when the player hasn't been back from injury a full week yet) or he really likes Damphousse, who from the sounds of it had some tough starts in the last 2.

Darz 03-23-2004 12:39 PM

Thanks for the info Dan.

oli500 03-23-2004 03:30 PM

Im going to the bulldog game vriday night vs the baby lafs. All try to give you guys some good scouting.

NWT Habs Fan 03-23-2004 03:56 PM

The Dogs are on the verge of clinching their playoff spot as well, so Jarvis has the option of possibly giving Danis some real game time between now and the end of the season. I can only guess that since Jarvis has been handing most of the work over to Damphousse since Fichaud got injured that they still feel Michaud has some developing to do. Michaud's numbers are quite decent since his call up from the ECHL.

I guess management probably feels that they still don't have a true blue, sure thing, stud goalie in either of F/Michaud or Damphousse. So, going out to get Danis who is ranked amongst the best of the entire NCAA crop, let alone those that weren't drafted, is a slick move.

So, in the short run, Danis is likely that insurance needed for this year's playoff run. In the longer term, he will likely be phased into that starting role depending which, if any, of Fichaud and Damphousse are signed beyond this season. Michaud is likely young enough that he figures into the organization's longer term plans.

I like the fact that Habs' management is going with a building a very young team in Hamilton, rather than recruiting a bunch of career AHL to fill all of the depth spots. With a nice bunch of prospects likely making the move from the CHL next season, that trend will continue. The Habs are lucky, because the quality and depth of their prospects makes this possible.