HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   News Article: Zanon, Preds not close on contract talks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=644122)

Joe T Choker 05-20-2009 10:46 AM

Zanon, Preds not close on contract talks
 
as per Glennon

Enoch 05-20-2009 12:24 PM

We can't afford to overpay Greg Zanon. I like him. I like having him on our roster. However, it might be in our best interest to simply say goodbye if we have to pay over 2.25-2.5 million for him......The PK stat is grossly misleading as well. Frankly, I think he has the propensity to be our worst PKer because he is constantly out of position.

Joe T Choker 05-20-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 19632823)
We can't afford to overpay Greg Zanon. I like him. I like having him on our roster. However, it might be in our best interest to simply say goodbye if we have to pay over 2.25-2.5 million for him......The PK stat is grossly misleading as well. Frankly, I think he has the propensity to be our worst PKer because he is constantly out of position.

couldn't have said it better myself

Paranoid Android 05-20-2009 08:41 PM

Couldn't disagree more with the two comments above me. However I do agree that at this point we'll just have to let him walk.

DontCallPlayersStuds 05-20-2009 09:25 PM

I'd like to see Zanon brought back, but he reminds me a lot of Skrastins when he left town. Was going to make too much money, and his weaknesses would later be exposed as a one-trick pony.

Predanerd...there's really no way around it...Zanon is an excellent shot blocker, but that's pretty much the only thing he brings.

With all that said, 1.5-2 million a year for 3 years is all i'd be comfortable with.

BigFatCat999 05-21-2009 07:55 AM

I'd be happy with

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Klein/Franson
Sulzer-Franson/Klein
Cheap FA

If they sign Zanon, to me it will signal a move that Ellis is on his way out the door.

DontCallPlayersStuds 05-21-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 19640721)
I'd be happy with

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Klein/Franson
Sulzer-Franson/Klein
Cheap FA

If they sign Zanon, to me it will signal a move that Ellis is on his way out the door.

From all indications, Franson is not NHL ready. If we let Zanon go, a cheap vet would have to be brought in.

BigFatCat999 05-21-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck (Post 19641990)
From all indications, Franson is not NHL ready. If we let Zanon go, a cheap vet would have to be brought in.

Franson showed improvement in the playoffs. I would give him a chance to try and win the job.

cjerina 05-21-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 19642029)
Franson showed improvement in the playoffs. I would give him a chance to try and win the job.

Great improvement, he single-handledly accounted for the 2 goal lead Houston had in the 3rd period. :shakehead

He puts up nice offensive numbers, but can't play D, which is sometimes too to know how to do as a defenseman.

skipper49 05-21-2009 06:04 PM

yeah, let Zanon walk, let Ellis walk, bring up some more light-weight, inexperienced prospects, even better buy some, give them enough ice time in the first half of the season to bury the Preds in the standings then play playoff hockey for the last two months in order to not make the playoffs again, oh yes, then trade Rinne and give Chet Pickard the #1 position....sounds like something the Preds would do...Yup!

worstfaceoffmanever 05-21-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipper49 (Post 19645787)
yeah, let Zanon walk, let Ellis walk, bring up some more light-weight, inexperienced prospects, even better buy some, give them enough ice time in the first half of the season to bury the Preds in the standings then play playoff hockey for the last two months in order to not make the playoffs again, oh yes, then trade Rinne and give Chet Pickard the #1 position....sounds like something the Preds would do...Yup!

What an asinine post. Zanon is a role playing third pairing defenseman, and letting him walk in favor of a more cost-effective veteran, or a younger, more talented prospect who could benefit from NHL ice time will only help the organization.

Furthermore, Ellis isn't a free agent, so we won't be "letting him walk." If he leaves, it is the result of a trade that, I would suspect, gives us an offensive threat in return. Plus the entire organization has been high on Rinne since the end of the lockout, so they're not going to up and trade him now that he's finally taking up the mantle of starting goaltender as the club has been waiting for him to do.

I can't help but think that you've wandered into the wrong forum. Perhaps you meant to go to Tampa Bay or Toronto?

predfan24 05-21-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipper49 (Post 19645787)
yeah, let Zanon walk, let Ellis walk, bring up some more light-weight, inexperienced prospects, even better buy some, give them enough ice time in the first half of the season to bury the Preds in the standings then play playoff hockey for the last two months in order to not make the playoffs again, oh yes, then trade Rinne and give Chet Pickard the #1 position....sounds like something the Preds would do...Yup!


I hate you.

Webersmashpuck 05-22-2009 01:49 AM

I will say losing Zanon isnt the end of the world, but he is our most physical defenseman behind Weber, tends to clear the puck better than most other defenseman, and is a pretty good communicator, not to mention the obvious things.

If Zanon can be locked up for a long term deal for cheap I would not be opposed to signing him to it. He is a proven player and I would want our defense as much like last year as possible (minus VK and Devries). Two million a year is fair for Zanon but I would not be terribly upset at 2.5 and around there. As long as he is signed and there is no NTC then years wont matter.

DontCallPlayersStuds 05-22-2009 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipper49 (Post 19645787)
yeah, let Zanon walk, let Ellis walk, bring up some more light-weight, inexperienced prospects, even better buy some, give them enough ice time in the first half of the season to bury the Preds in the standings then play playoff hockey for the last two months in order to not make the playoffs again, oh yes, then trade Rinne and give Chet Pickard the #1 position....sounds like something the Preds would do...Yup!

It's pretty clear from seeing your posts around other boards that you've got a dan ellis agenda.

Enoch 05-22-2009 07:36 AM

Suter is more physical than Zanon, but I would put Zanon ahead of Hamhuis in over all physicality. Suter is pretty nasty along the boards, he just doesn't throw open ice hits.

Jarnberg 05-22-2009 12:49 PM

I'm for bringing back Zanon if the money is right, assuming the organization doesn't have faith in other defensive prospects, assuming Sulzer takes de Vries spot next season.

Soundgarden 05-22-2009 01:11 PM

I'd rather keep Zanon, but I bet he's going to ask for more then he can get.

skipper49 05-23-2009 08:42 AM

Calm down people. This doesn't require an agenda to figure out at all.
If you think for one minute that Rinne won't be pressured by the presence of Chet Pickard down in Milwaukee you are just naive. Preds management will be just drooling over the opportunity to show everyone that they know how to draft a first round tender and then Rinne will be getting the hook. I'd put money on it.
As for Zanon, the only reason management will let him go is because of money. Prospects are cheaper but remember that you get what you pay for. Don't expect to make the playoffs with an AHL team representing you in the NHL.

Jarnberg 05-23-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipper49 (Post 19662288)
Preds management will be just drooling over the opportunity to show everyone that they know how to draft a first round tender and then Rinne will be getting the hook. I'd put money on it.

Just like they were itching to trade Vokoun to display to the world Brian Finley?

So this is all about proving something? And here I was thinking the team was in the business of winning hockey games.

darth5 05-23-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipper49 (Post 19662288)
...If you think for one minute that Rinne won't be pressured by the presence of Chet Pickard down in Milwaukee you are just naive. Preds management will be just drooling over the opportunity to show everyone that they know how to draft a first round tender and then Rinne will be getting the hook. I'd put money on it.
As for Zanon, the only reason management will let him go is because of money...

I have two problems with what you said here:
1) Goalies and d-men should not be rushed 95% of the time. Period. Ask anyone who knows player development and that is what they will tell you. If anything the Preds believe the road to the big league is thru their farm team MORE than most teams in their tier of the league. Rinne has shown from the cage this year he can do his part good enough. He is under contract for next year (I think). No reason for him to look over his shoulder-- he is a goaltending bargain if he can play near the way he did once he took the reigns. Preds wil go with him and buy time for Pickard to be as solid as possible and learn everything the AHL can teach him.
2) If Zanon plays the greed card, Preds will let him walk and look for a vet to fill one slot most likely. You need a mix of vets and young talent on the blue line to really excel and mentor the younger guys. I expect to see Sulzer back there for sure. I don't see Franson as ready. that would leave a gap.

OpenWheel 05-23-2009 03:04 PM

They're not dying to get Pickard in over Rinne to "prove" something. Come on... I'm sure they're pleased with Rinne and would like him to get even better and be a star goalie.

I think Zanon is a pretty fair player. I thought, though, that Coach Trotz gave him a bit too much ice time.

I wouldn't mind if he walks and we have to go with youth and less experience. But the trouble will be if we bring in a vet who's not as good as Zanon, because he'll get "Trotz-time" anyway. All veterans seem to get Trotz-time even if they aren't too good.

nine_inch_fang 05-23-2009 11:06 PM

I wouldn't ask DeVries about "Trotz-time" he lost his spot to Zanon. Really who deserved the top four minutes that Zanon was playing?

Joe T Choker 05-24-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang (Post 19669717)
I wouldn't ask DeVries about "Trotz-time" he lost his spot to Zanon. Really who deserved the top four minutes that Zanon was playing?

Alexander Sulzer

worstfaceoffmanever 05-24-2009 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer (Post 19670272)
Alexander Sulzer

http://www.togct.com/surg_procedures...l_lesion_3.jpg

nine_inch_fang 05-24-2009 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer (Post 19670272)
Alexander Sulzer

You do realize that you totally missed the point....right?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.