HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers Sign UMass Defenseman Thomas Pck (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=64425)

NYR469 03-23-2004 05:14 PM

Rangers Sign UMass Defenseman Thomas Pck

Rangers Sign UMass Defenseman Thomas Pck
3/23/2004

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has agreed to terms on a professional contract with defenseman Thomas Pck of the University of Massachusetts Minutemen of Hockey East (HE). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Pck, 22, skated in 37 matches with Massachusetts this season, tallying 16 goals and 25 assists for 41 points, along with 48 penalty minutes. He ranked first on the team in all major offensive categories with 16 goals, 25 assists and 41 points. Pck was named a Hockey East First Team All-Star and is a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award, given annually to the nations top collegiate player. He was also recently named to the Hockey East All-Tournanent Team and selected as the Hockey Easts Defensive Player of the Week, while helping to lead the Minutemen to their first-ever tournament finals appearance. During the tournament, Pck led all players with seven points (two goals, five assists), along with a plus-7 rating.

The 6-1, 208-pounder has skated in 130 career matches with Massachusetts, registering 44 goals and 58 assists for 102 points, along with 179 penalty minutes. His 102 career points are tied for sixth in school history, while his 44 goals are tied for ninth. As a junior, Pck was also selected as a Hockey East Second Team All-Star and was voted as the Minutemens most valuable player.

Prior to attending the University of Massachusetts, the Klagenfurt, Austria native played for the Klagenfurt Athletic Club of the Austrian Senior League. During the 1999-00 season, Pck scored five goals and 21 assists for 26 points and was named the league's Rookie of the Year.

Forechecker 03-23-2004 05:20 PM

On paper he looks good. Anyone know anything about him? Too bad they didn't make the Frozen Four.

nyr5186 03-23-2004 05:21 PM

Good to hear. I noticed there was alot of talk about him on the Prospects Board the other day, so maybe he'll help out down the road.

sickboy35 03-23-2004 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
Good to hear. I noticed there was alot of talk about him on the Prospects Board the other day, so maybe he'll help out down the road.

according to the rangers site, they said he might play tonight? if so thats weird!

Forechecker 03-23-2004 05:24 PM

He's a senior, so he'll be at least with the Pack next season. I wonder, can he join the Pack now, and skate in the playoffs?

DutchLeafsfan 03-23-2004 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickboy35
according to the rangers site, they said he might play tonight? if so thats weird!

Pretty weird, but the Blues did the same with Sejna last year (who even scored a goal in his first game)

Maple Leafs had a somewhat similar situation when they signed Matt Stajan last year when he was eliminated form the OHL playoffs; sent him to St John's to play in the last regular season game (picked up an assist) and then played for the Leafs in the last regular season game (and got a goal). Who knows what will happen with Pck :)

Quote:

I wonder, can he join the Pack now, and skate in the playoffs?
Since his college season and hence his college hockey carreer is over, I guess he is free to turn pro now and already play tonight...

As for the AHL, I believe there is some rule which requires players to have been on the roster at a certain point in time to be eligible for the playoffs. The Baby Leafs now have a few guys up from the ECHL who as far as I know wouldn't be allowed to play if the Baby Leafs make the playoffs...

Fletch 03-23-2004 05:26 PM

What's really strange...

is that he signed with the Rangers. Sather loves them college kids.

Forechecker 03-23-2004 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickboy35

Wow, talk about into the fire...

Park #2 03-23-2004 05:29 PM

THis is a great signing by Sather - as many teams around the NHL were interested.

This kid is a good skater, sees the ice tremendously well, handles the puck extremely well, skates well, is smart and has decent size. He, in my opinon, was one of the dominant players in College Hockey this season. He was a forward who became a defenseman this year - and made the transition very well. He's a mature kid.

The question mark is whether he can hold his own in his own end as he progresses forward.

Good pickup.

nyr5186 03-23-2004 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Park #2
THis is a great signing by Sather - as many teams around the NHL were interested.

This kid is a good skater, sees the ice tremendously well, handles the puck extremely well, skates well, is smart and has decent size. He, in my opinon, was one of the dominant players in College Hockey this season. He was a forward who became a defenseman this year - and made the transition very well. He's a mature kid.

The question mark is whether he can hold his own in his own end as he progresses forward.

Good pickup.

Agreed. This is a cant-lose situation. If he pans out, we have ourselves a solid offensive defenseman. If not, perhaps we could put him back at forward and see what happens. If that doesnt work, he's another Mike Mottau. Big deal. Its not like we gave up anything for him.

The good thing is he has the size to be solid in his own zone. Mottau was 5-11, 190 lbs. This kid is 6-1, 208 and growing. Maybe with some good coaching, he could be a diamond in the rough.

Bluenote13 03-23-2004 05:47 PM

Very surprised that Thomas signed with us. I knew the Islanders were in the running, they must be p!ssed :p

I have mixed feelings. The guy is an EXCELLENT point man on the power play. Above average passing & shooting. He looked like an average defnder in his own zone.

Bluenote13 03-23-2004 05:49 PM

Now that we signed Pock(pronounced "Poke") maybe we can trade our first Mr.Poke(Poti)? :p

DutchLeafsfan 03-23-2004 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Park #2

Good pickup.

I agree, the guy isa Hobey Baker award finalist for a reason. Moreover, if he doesn't pan out, you guys are somewhat in the same financial situation as the Leafs, so no problems there anyways...

ddheyman 03-23-2004 05:57 PM

Was he a free-agent? Don't remember us drafting him ... and why would he be a free-agent right now? Doesn't make sense to me ... undrafted maybe?

L.I.RangerFan 03-23-2004 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
I agree, the guy isa Hobey Baker award finalist for a reason. Moreover, if he doesn't pan out, you guys are somewhat in the same financial situation as the Leafs, so no problems there anyways...

Darn I was just contemplating a list of College FA's that the Rangers would be interested in and they beat me to it. :handclap:

Pock and Saviano of New Hampshire were the top two that I liked.

Bluenote13 03-23-2004 06:00 PM

Pock went undrafted in the 2001 draft, so on completion of his college career(UMASS played their last game this past weekend) he was now eligible to sign with any NHL club.

Here's his profile from UMASS: http://umassathletics.ocsn.com/sport..._thomas00.html

L.I.RangerFan 03-23-2004 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
Pretty weird, but the Blues did the same with Sejna last year (who even scored a goal in his first game)

Maple Leafs had a somewhat similar situation when they signed Matt Stajan last year when he was eliminated form the OHL playoffs; sent him to St John's to play in the last regular season game (picked up an assist) and then played for the Leafs in the last regular season game (and got a goal). Who knows what will happen with Pck :)

Since his college season and hence his college hockey carreer is over, I guess he is free to turn pro now and already play tonight...

As for the AHL, I believe there is some rule which requires players to have been on the roster at a certain point in time to be eligible for the playoffs. The Baby Leafs now have a few guys up from the ECHL who as far as I know wouldn't be allowed to play if the Baby Leafs make the playoffs...

He can play for Hartford or the Rangers. The clear day roster for Hartford has exemptions for players signed out of college and Major Junior. If you remember last year, Ryan Hollweg played for Hartford in the playoffs.

From www.caldercup.com

Only those players listed on a teams Clear Day roster are eligible to compete in the remaining four weeks of the AHL regular season and in the Calder Cup 2004 Playoffs, unless emergency conditions arise as a result of recall, injury or suspension. Teams may also add signed junior players or players on amateur tryout contracts, only after their respective junior or college seasons are complete.

So yes he can play for Hartford.

BDubinskyNYR17* 03-23-2004 06:06 PM

http://umassathletics.ocsn.com/sport...032204aaa.html

Good Article on Thomas Pck

L.I.RangerFan 03-23-2004 06:12 PM

I watch this guy alot during the Hockey East playoffs. What impressed me the most was his skating and poise. He didn't seem to panic with the puck, he was positionally sound and showed a very nice offensive side.

If he stays with the Rangers to finish out the season it will help Hartford. The Wolfpack have been decimated by injuries and call up, especially on the blueline. If Pock stays, then Lampman can go back to the 'Pack and the Rangers can get a good look at this kid. Or Lampman stays and Pock goes to Hartford, either way the 'Pack gain a defensemen.

Edge 03-23-2004 06:26 PM

kids got some work to do, specifically in his own zone, and with his positioning, but his ability to adapt thus far has been amazing.

He's gonna need some work but he's got a shot to be an NHL defenseman.

Kids see an opportunity to come here now, something they haven't seen in a decade.

That coupled that they can actually afford to pay them could make NY a major destination for some prospects.

gopher 03-23-2004 06:34 PM

he will play tonight!

DJ Spinoza 03-23-2004 06:49 PM

As said, he will play tonight. I am listening to the Pens pregame show, and they have segments called 'Behind Enemy Lines' with reporters of the other team talking about the opponents of the Pens.

Anyways, the guys name was Gross, I think. And he said Pock will play tonight.

I had read the thread in the prospect forum also and Pock interested me for the Pens also. Well, I guess I still get to see him play his first game. :dunno:

ddheyman 03-23-2004 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopher
he will play tonight!

Seriously?

007 03-23-2004 06:51 PM

I guess I might find out tonight, but is there a chance that Poeck might play at center? People on the prospect board said that he's a converted forward.

vbox81 03-23-2004 06:56 PM

The did call up Cory Larose....he's a center....

He is wearing #22 and will be in the lineup on defense! Renney said he'll be paired with Purinton.... who sits?