HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Kovalev Rips Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=64452)

BDubinskyNYR17* 03-23-2004 05:22 PM

Kovalev Rips Rangers
 
Another former Ranger rips the team.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/mtl34.html


"What I like about this team is that everybody plays hard and works together," Kovalev added. "It wasn't like that in New York. There were too many players who wanted to be the star."


I love this quote cause he is honest, but If I was on the Rangers, I would have said the same thing. :dunno:

Bluenote13 03-23-2004 05:23 PM

Kovalev added. "It wasn't like that in New York. There were too many players who wanted to be the star."


Including the GM & Owner :p

Fitzlax99 03-23-2004 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Another former Ranger rips the team.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/mtl34.html


"What I like about this team is that everybody plays hard and works together," Kovalev added. "It wasn't like that in New York. There were too many players who wanted to be the star."


I love this quote cause he is honest, but If I was on the Rangers, I would have said the same thing. :dunno:

Well we all know that didnt apply to Alex. No, he was much more content to simply be a non-producing floater.

Big McLargehuge 03-23-2004 05:27 PM

I don't know what happened to Alex with you guys, he was simply amazing in Pittsburgh, and never once could have been called a floater here...

Edge 03-23-2004 05:31 PM

Alex has always had a bowl full of noodles for brains, even back to his draft day.

Hey Alex guess what?

The guys who wanted to be stars who floated included you my friend.

Of course he performed in pitts. no one was watching. i'm still not convinced he has the mental ability to perform at the level in a city that really pays attention like NY, or Montreal or other places.

Big McLargehuge 03-23-2004 05:48 PM

It's not like there's no fans in Pittsburgh, the Pens were averaging almost a shutout a game when he was here for the bulk of the time, but the media is a lot more leniant, as is the play style.

ddheyman 03-23-2004 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
It's not like there's no fans in Pittsburgh, the Pens were averaging almost a shutout a game when he was here for the bulk of the time, but the media is a lot more leniant, as is the play style.

Sellout a game???

Fletch 03-23-2004 06:48 PM

NY pays attention?
 
empty seats, or seats filled with people that don't care. Beat writers who often change their tune. Not too much focus on Alex himself. I think it's the atmosphere that has been created since Keenan left. Alex thrived under Keenan, and he thrived under other hard-nose coaches. Didn't do well with crappy coaches such as Campbell, Muckler and Sather. He went to a place where he can play his game. Where he was a right winger every day and on the point of the PP. Where he can handle the puck and be free and enjoy the game. Where, while the team wasn't perfect, I believe it did have some sort of system in place.

I'm sure it was tough playing for a team that almost went under. I'm sure it's tough to be on the ice with your owner. I'm sure it's tough coming to an area where winning was actually expected, from the two Cups one with guys like Lemieux and Jagr.

Gotta wonder why guys don't play too well in New York. Heck, look at Nedved now...is it because he's out of the spotlight and in that non-critical hockey town of Edmonton? Heck, Leetch looks a bit better in Toronto.

kickice 03-23-2004 06:52 PM

Wasn't Kovy one of those trying to be the star?

Park #2 03-23-2004 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
I think it's the atmosphere that has been created since Keenan left. Alex thrived under Keenan, and he thrived under other hard-nose coaches. Didn't do well with crappy coaches such as Campbell, Muckler and Sather. He went to a place where he can play his game. Where he was a right winger every day and on the point of the PP. Where he can handle the puck and be free and enjoy the game. Where, while the team wasn't perfect, I believe it did have some sort of system in place.

I'm sure it was tough playing for a team that almost went under. I'm sure it's tough to be on the ice with your owner. I'm sure it's tough coming to an area where winning was actually expected, from the two Cups one with guys like Lemieux and Jagr.

Gotta wonder why guys don't play too well in New York. Heck, look at Nedved now...is it because he's out of the spotlight and in that non-critical hockey town of Edmonton? Heck, Leetch looks a bit better in Toronto.

I wouldn't say Kovalev "Thrived" under Keenan. Keenan was still benching the guy for periods at a time up until Jan/Feb of the 93-94 Cups season. He played pretty well in the playoffs. Kovalev hasn't thrived anywhere but Pittsburgh. He showed glimpses of that in his first stint in NY and could never do it consistenly. He showed nothing this time around.

As for your other points - when Kovalev left NY the first time, winning was still the norm - at least as much as in Pittsburgh. Nedved - he's a western conference player if there ever was one. Edmonton is playing well right now - and he is playing with a little emotion. When he is motivated he plays well, when he isn't, he's rather invisible. It's the story of his career. Unfortunatley, he's not motived 75% of the time.

NYR2 03-23-2004 07:36 PM

Oh Lord, enough with his damn mouth.

SHUT UP Alex.

Firefly 03-23-2004 08:11 PM

3 points in 6 games. the usual kovalev.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 03-23-2004 10:33 PM

Sounds to me like Alex is pissed that he played himself out of the money.

stardog 03-24-2004 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
Alex has always had a bowl full of noodles for brains, even back to his draft day.

Hey Alex guess what?

The guys who wanted to be stars who floated included you my friend.

Of course he performed in pitts. no one was watching. i'm still not convinced he has the mental ability to perform at the level in a city that really pays attention like NY, or Montreal or other places.

Sorry, but when Kovy blossomed on the Pens, they were a major draw in Pittsburgh. The building was playing close to capacity on every night.
Perhaps there is some validity to your argument and perhaps not. Either way it is presumptuous and speculative to suggest that he played well simply becuase of the city he played in.
Perhaps it had to do more with how he was being used on that team.
He may have floated in NYR, but to suggest he wanted to be the star is also a bit off base IMO. He has always been pretty darn humble and never cared about media attention what so ever. He is far from an egotist as someone wanting to be a star would be.

Fletch 03-24-2004 06:55 AM

I say thrived...
 
because the kid was only 20, going on 21 years of age and he was in his first NHL season. There were growing pains for him as he had tendencies that would make a head coach go crazy, but in the end, he earned Keenan's respect who gave him a vital role in the playoffs, and yes, he did thrive there. He seemed to come of age by the end of the season. I have no doubt in my mind that had Keenan remained the Rangers head coach, and Kovalev remained with the team,he would've been a perennial All Star.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 03-24-2004 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stardog
Sorry, but when Kovy blossomed on the Pens, they were a major draw in Pittsburgh. The building was playing close to capacity on every night.
Perhaps there is some validity to your argument and perhaps not. Either way it is presumptuous and speculative to suggest that he played well simply becuase of the city he played in.
Perhaps it had to do more with how he was being used on that team.
He may have floated in NYR, but to suggest he wanted to be the star is also a bit off base IMO. He has always been pretty darn humble and never cared about media attention what so ever. He is far from an egotist as someone wanting to be a star would be.

Sorry but to compare the pressure of playing in Pittsburgh to the pressure of playing in New York is impossible.

You don't set out to be the star. If Kovalev had scored goals and played like he did in Pittsburgh he would have become the star by default. But he did not even show the effort night in and night out that he did with the Pens.

Whether he wanted to be a star or not or has a big ego or not, shut your pie hole Alex. You were huge disappointment here and underachieved with many others. Brian Leetch was treated far worse than Alex was and he has not carried on like Kovalev has. And Alex needs to realize that the fans wanted to cheer for him but he did not give us any reason to.

John Flyers Fan 03-24-2004 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Sorry but to compare the pressure of playing in Pittsburgh to the pressure of playing in New York is impossible.

I'd agree if you were comparing the Yankees to the Pirates.

There are more newspapaers in NY, but it's not like Ranegrs are getting killed on WFAN everyday or are the lead story on the local sports news stations.

Is tehre more pressure playing for the Rangers than the Pens ??? ..I'd say yes, but slightly, but playing for the Rangers is no more pressure that playing for the Wings, Flyers or Avalanche ... and far less pressure than the Leafs or Habs.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 03-24-2004 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I'd agree if you were comparing the Yankees to the Pirates.

There are more newspapaers in NY, but it's not like Ranegrs are getting killed on WFAN everyday or are the lead story on the local sports news stations.

Is tehre more pressure playing for the Rangers than the Pens ??? ..I'd say yes, but slightly, but playing for the Rangers is no more pressure that playing for the Wings, Flyers or Avalanche ... and far less pressure than the Leafs or Habs.

Media is only one part of it.

There were differnent expectations in New York (for right or for wrong) than there was in Pittsburgh. There was a payrole, the verteran laden team, and the belief (as far fetched as it was) that the team was a Cup contender.

I never said that playing for the Rangers is more pressure than playing for the Wings or Avs (certainly not the Leafs or Habs), just more than Pittsburgh.

John Flyers Fan 03-24-2004 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Media is only one part of it.

There were differnent expectations in New York (for right or for wrong) than there was in Pittsburgh. There was a payrole, the verteran laden team, and the belief (as far fetched as it was) that the team was a Cup contender.

In the early 90's I would have said more pressure, but tough to argue that there is more pressure in NY right now.

Going on 7 years without making the playoffs, and a GM/President isn't fired after running the team for 4 season ??? Doesn't sound like pressure to me.

A coach that doesn't hold his players accountable ??

Not enough demands or pressure was placed on the players IMO.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 03-24-2004 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
In the early 90's I would have said more pressure, but tough to argue that there is more pressure in NY right now.

Going on 7 years without making the playoffs, and a GM/President isn't fired after running the team for 4 season ??? Doesn't sound like pressure to me.

A coach that doesn't hold his players accountable ??

Not enough demands or pressure was placed on the players IMO.


You've done an accurate job of describing the situation in New York. So what about the scenario in Pittsburgh? Where is the pressure there?

John Flyers Fan 03-24-2004 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
You've done an accurate job of describing the situation in New York. So what about the scenario in Pittsburgh? Where is the pressure there?

His first three seasons he finished in Pittsburgh they made the playoffs. The went to the 2nd round twice and the ECF once. Not too shabby.

Obviously his last year and half was much different as the Pens no longer tried to be very competitive.

NYIsles1* 03-24-2004 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I never said that playing for the Rangers is more pressure than playing for the Wings or Avs (certainly not the Leafs or Habs), just more than Pittsburgh.

Not really. In terms of media, Pittsburgh's two papers (Post-Gazette/Tribune Review) have more articles and coverage on a normal hockey day than the three local city papers on the Rangers. Pittsburgh does not have basketball or two 365 day baseball teams dominating the media. Hockey after the Steelers season is over is the major sport in Pittsburgh during the winter, it's not in New York.

Pittsburgh's coverage has practice reports, minor league team reports. The fans are better informed about what happens around the team. Here fans get the Brooks/Dellapina rant and usually one per day or game. Sherry Ross shows up on the occasional sunday.

The Times has minimal hockey coverage.

I would not be surprised if Kovalev is just another Ranger who was tired of Sather's and Messier's leadership and control.

Shadowtron 03-24-2004 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYIsles1
Not really. In terms of media, Pittsburgh's two papers (Post-Gazette/Tribune Review) have more articles and coverage on a normal hockey day than the three local city papers on the Rangers. Pittsburgh does not have basketball or two 365 day baseball teams dominating the media. Hockey after the Steelers season is over is the major sport in Pittsburgh during the winter, it's not in New York.

Pittsburgh's coverage has practice reports, minor league team reports. The fans are better informed about what happens around the team. Here fans get the Brooks/Dellapina rant and usually one per day or game. Sherry Ross shows up on the occasional sunday.

The Times has minimal hockey coverage.

I would not be surprised if Kovalev is just another Ranger who was tired of Sather's and Messier's leadership and control.


I disagree. NY is a very big stage to play on, regardless of the sport. It's tough playing here. Either the media is on their backs, or the fans are. It's a restless crowd at the Garden, and very unforgiving.

You cant quantify the amount of paper articles between two teams and declare one the winner. To even suggest that it might be tougher playing in Pitts is laughable. I don't care if it's Baseball, Basketball, or tabletop paper football, NY is place that has a very large light to shine on its players. Some people can take it, some just cannot.

Edge 03-24-2004 12:06 PM

Quote:

Sorry, but when Kovy blossomed on the Pens, they were a major draw in Pittsburgh. The building was playing close to capacity on every night.
Pitts even at full capacity does not capture the the pressure that a place like NY, Detroit or Montreal would. Doesn't matter if they get almost a sellout or not.

It's a smaller market team.

Quote:

Perhaps there is some validity to your argument and perhaps not. Either way it is presumptuous and speculative to suggest that he played well simply becuase of the city he played in.
Thank you for pointing that out. The whole "presumption" and "your biased" and "you assumed" thing is getting real old real quick. You wanna nut to bust? Go climb a tree like a Squirrel. Your opinion is no more valid then mine. I could just easily turn around and call you a smug, self righteous, antgonizer who assumes his opinion is worth just because HE saw it. Obviously that went over real well in the other thread. Why are you here? Just to see how many people stand up to you or think your out of left field views are absurd? What's the purpose?

Quote:

Perhaps it had to do more with how he was being used on that team.
He may have floated in NYR, but to suggest he wanted to be the star is also a bit off base IMO. He has always been pretty darn humble and never cared about media attention what so ever. He is far from an egotist as someone wanting to be a star would be.
Oh please, the guy was immature when he left and came back, underachieved and can't keep his mouth shut. This is now the second time he's begun to open his mouth {thus the backlash}. Now when you're not part of the solution and you're part of the problem you have no room talk. Period end of sentence.

If my firm starts losing money and part of the reason is because i keep messing up, I've got no room to pass remarks when I leave.

The guy has not proved he can handle a big city. He didn't prove it in TWO stints in NY {including when they were competitive.}And has proved it in Montreal thus far.

He strived in a smaller market of Pitts before they went to rebuild. Almost selling out or not, there is simply isn't the national or international attention there. In fact on a national level, there was more talk about the pens financial situation then what most of the players were doing. Sad and unfortunate but true.

He's in Montreal {and i know about the injury, blah blah blah} but he hasn't exactly lite the world on fire again either.

The guy has blamed everything from the system to his sticks this year.

On the whole with the exception of 3 years in Pitts, his career has been a disappointment. There is no reason he shouldn't have 1000 points by now with his skill level.

The problem is that there is always been "something" with Kovalev.

He was young and immature and he need time to grow.

He needed a ton of icetime.

He needed a playmaking center.

He didn't perform because he hurt his knee.

He couldn't handle NY.

He needed to be a go to guy like he was in Pitts.\

The system wasn't right.

The sticks weren't right.

The coach wasn't right.

Seriously this crap has been going for the better part of 10 years now. When he puts the pieces together he's an elite force but throughout his career there always seems to be something.

The guy has a history of putting his foot in his mouth and if you've ever met him {this sounds kind of mean} but he's not the sharpest tool in the shed if you know what I mean.

Bottom line is that Kovalev made his own bed.

CrookedRain 03-24-2004 12:46 PM

First of all, before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, people should remember that reporters seldom quote and often paraphrase. So when you read a "quote" remember that it's phrased in such a way as to sell newspapers - in other words -"It's sensationalized".That is especially the case in Montreal.

Now, I'm not gonna say that Kovalev was great with the Rangers but consider this -He won the cup with NY and played hard in the playoffs for them his first time around, and because of that I am a Kovalev fan. Then the Rangers shipped him off to Pitt for that waste of skin Nedved who had sucked the big one on brodway his first time around.

Once he got to Pittsburgh he flourished.

When he was brought back most everyone thinks he did pretty much what every other big name free agent with the exception of Mark Messier has done - collect a paycheck for showing up.

But is that really the case? What Kovalev is doing is not mouthing off or ripping the Rangers or their fans. What he is doing is describing the situation in NY. And you know what? He is right. Look at all the big name players that came here and did not deliever. If he complains about the ice time, don't just say he's making excuses - maybe he's making a valid point. Why do you guys think Hlavac has been on a tear as of late? He's getting icetime. Leetch was described as looking lost in practice once he became a Leaf. That should send signals to the Rangers faithful.

Oh, and before Jagr arrived, please remember that Kovalev was leading the Rangers in points, and that if the guy who was not even "trying" was leading the team in points then there are some serious problems that need to be addressed.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.